Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

everythingWasBees posted:

I thought the prices were usually more reasonable over here

I'm pretty sure I got G-Reco for like 15 bucks

Reconguista in G also is 75 dollars MSRP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zetas primary distribution method should be red lobster bathrooms

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Gripweed posted:

Reconguista in G also is 75 dollars MSRP.

worth it tho

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The Divers blu-ray should just be the Wacky Races episode it did because that was pretty good.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

divers was pretty good as like a saturday morning cartoon

especially with the dub

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Agreed.

Looking at it, it seems like 75 MSRP but around 50 sale price is the standard for 25 episodes of Gundam on bluray. Divers, Greco, halfs of Turn A, G, Wing, and ZZ are all at that price point.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

you know if you think about it the diver series went up in quality proportional to the number of furries they added

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Endorph posted:

Like you self admittedly dont remember the show

No, I don't. I self admittedly don't remember aspects of the show and particularly those that pertain to other characters and chose not to comment on them specifically because I don't remember those aspects well enough to comment on them. I do remember things about Noin, and chose to comment on them because of that. Including pointing out that she was only acting to help Relena during the show according to herself because she thinks it's what Zechs would want.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

I feel like if you don't remember much about relena you probably haven't watched the show in the past decade

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

everythingWasBees posted:

noin is super cool I want to be like noin

https://i.imgur.com/eodFkNN.mp4

Very odd nightclub though.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Relena was the coolest. She backs down from no one, not even Dorothy, in a way that I still enjoy watching.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Relena straigth up trying to murder that dude in front of the entire Romefeller Foundation.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

Relena straigth up trying to murder that dude in front of the entire Romefeller Foundation.

Dudette.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFnusMJgcWo

Relena really has the most compete, consistent and fascinating arc in the show given how the anime ends with her and Une.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

God drat the oz uniforms were the sickest poo poo. Even the grunts looked fantastic.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Monaghan posted:

God drat the oz uniforms were the sickest poo poo. Even the grunts looked fantastic.

I'm really having a hard time putting a name to it because "space feudalism" is too old, it isn't "space victorian," "space imperialism" is way too broad to be useful in describing fashion choices, and I don't think it quite fits "space Napoleonic" either.

Also flirting with someone by idly knocking your saber against theirs is very on brand for the show.

Speaking of character aesthetic, I'm not really the biggest fan of Zechs' mask being a whole rear end helmet. I much prefer the elaborate domino masks like Full Frontal and Rau Le Cruset had.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Warmachine posted:

I'm really having a hard time putting a name to it because "space feudalism" is too old, it isn't "space victorian," "space imperialism" is way too broad to be useful in describing fashion choices, and I don't think it quite fits "space Napoleonic" either.

Paging SeanBeansShako, your Gundam fashion analysis posts were always the best.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Warmachine posted:

Also flirting with someone by idly knocking your saber against theirs is very on brand for the show.

Speaking of character aesthetic, I'm not really the biggest fan of Zechs' mask being a whole rear end helmet. I much prefer the elaborate domino masks like Full Frontal and Rau Le Cruset had.

I don't think anybody likes Zechs' mask. He absolutely looks better without it.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

NikkolasKing posted:

I like it.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I'm not sure there's any Char clone masks I like. Including the original Char's mask. I think Mr. Bushido's might be the closest, since it's almost a full face mask and has no real decoration or ornamentation on it beyond some cheek lines. It's very simple, but isn't overly simplistic either. Iron Mask is pretty cool too, but then, he wears a full on helmet. I guess I just don't like the half-masks most of the Char clones wear, where it just covers the eyes and maybe the nose. Zehearts is probably the nicest looking one of those, since I like the shadowed look the darker underside gives it.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

NikkolasKing posted:

I like it. He looks better with it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Warmachine posted:

I'd describe them as space colonial.

EDIT: Also Mask's look is pretty distinct. It is interesting that the Char look evolved from 'helmet' to 'mask,' though. Guess its a function of wanting to show the characters outside their mechs more. Rau and Roanoke both look fine. Chronicle looks like he's wearing a jock strap on his face.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jul 22, 2020

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

zechs's mask is necessary because it hides how bad his hair actually is by just enough.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

I'm not sure there's any Char clone masks I like. Including the original Char's mask. I think Mr. Bushido's might be the closest, since it's almost a full face mask and has no real decoration or ornamentation on it beyond some cheek lines. It's very simple, but isn't overly simplistic either. Iron Mask is pretty cool too, but then, he wears a full on helmet. I guess I just don't like the half-masks most of the Char clones wear, where it just covers the eyes and maybe the nose. Zehearts is probably the nicest looking one of those, since I like the shadowed look the darker underside gives it.

What about Vidar's mask? It's one of the most practical, at minimum.

It saved his life in the final battle, even after its use as a disguise was gone.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

zechs's mask is necessary because it hides how bad his hair actually is by just enough.
Frontal is the most powerful Char Clone because he has the most powerful mullet. Man could front for an 80s rock band.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Actually, as far as 'Char Clones' go, I do really like the detail that Harry from Turn-A has damaged vision and the shades help accommodate for that. but that's only mentioned in a manga. A manga where Corrin gets a gundam. So how canon that is is up in the air.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

What about Vidar's mask? It's one of the most practical, at minimum.

I'd actually forgotten about it entirely, and only really remembered Montag from IBO; even though he's not masked nearly as much as Vidar. I didn't watch a lot of the second season though, so that's probably why. His mask/helmet is okay, looking at pictures of it, but I just don't like the triangular front section jutting out from the face of it. I do like the colour separation, jutting chin guard and slit eyes etc. and the forward protrusion looks real good from head on, but it doesn't look great from any kind of angle.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Rabbi Tupac posted:

I like it. He looks better with it.

i agree

in general i prefer char masks that are also a helmet/have a helmet component over the ones that just cover up the eyes

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I dig Schwarz Bruder's mask

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

tsob posted:

I'd actually forgotten about it entirely, and only really remembered Montag from IBO; even though he's not masked nearly as much as Vidar. I didn't watch a lot of the second season though, so that's probably why. His mask/helmet is okay, looking at pictures of it, but I just don't like the triangular front section jutting out from the face of it. I do like the colour separation, jutting chin guard and slit eyes etc. and the forward protrusion looks real good from head on, but it doesn't look great from any kind of angle.

The triangular front section is bulked up to protect his face from being smashed into parts of his cockpit during combat, just like a Gundam SEED helmet. It's also heavily-armoured enough to let him take a bullet to the head and live. It's a very practical design beneath the ostentation, which is a deliberate, character-building contrast between Vidar and the more flamboyant Montag (who wears a delicate opera mask, a giant wig, and fancy civilian clothes into battle).

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
I hadn't actually realized that that was why Gundam SEED helmets have that forward protrusion. That's a neat detail. Still don't like either of them aesthetically, but it's nice that there's a reason for it regardless.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Endorph posted:

Actually, as far as 'Char Clones' go, I do really like the detail that Harry from Turn-A has damaged vision and the shades help accommodate for that. but that's only mentioned in a manga. A manga where Corrin gets a gundam. So how canon that is is up in the air.

I feel like that's a good argument for it being canon rather than against

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Endorph posted:

Frontal is the most powerful Char Clone because he has the most powerful mullet. Man could front for an 80s rock band.

I was just thinking about this, and how it is clear he doesn't wear a helmet outside of when he knows he's going to go into hard vacuum because he knows how much power he derives from that BIG FUKKIN HAIR.

edit: It's why he lost the Neo Zeong fight--his normal suit covered up the majestic locks.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jul 22, 2020

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Warmachine posted:

The uniforms are a combination of early and mid 19th century stuff with, French, British and Russian influences all around. Space Boshin comes to mind as Japan more or less embraced this along with a fusion of their own post Tokugawa clothing in the Boshin War Meiji era mix.

Zeon got in the ground floor early with their late Victorian dragoon stuff though. The Glemy ruined it with dayglow disco.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

tsob posted:

I hadn't actually realized that that was why Gundam SEED helmets have that forward protrusion. That's a neat detail. Still don't like either of them aesthetically, but it's nice that there's a reason for it regardless.

Burns
May 10, 2008

Zeon outfits in general seem to be like something out of the old pre civil war southern US.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I'm watching 0079 for the first time. Some notes I took during the episode:
  • The number of times and the tone in which Fraw says 'Amuro' made me laugh, but I know I'll be sick of it soon.
  • Woah sweet ride, Amuro!
  • Amuro's dad's hair is gorgeous.
  • Love how Amuro sits amid the wreckage of his car, with people wildly fleeing in the background, reading a computer manual. They knew their audience?
  • The industrial and mechnical design holds up pretty well, considering this was made in 1979.
  • The fight scene with the Zakus was surprisingly brutal, especially when he skewers the cockpit.
  • Getting some Ruenthal/Reinhard LotGH Empire energy from Char
  • Gundam is cool...I'm going to keep watching.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jul 23, 2020

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
My friend you are in for a ride.

When you are done and if it is your jam, the Abridged Series despite halting halfway is also a blast.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

• The number of times and the tone in which Fraw says 'Amuro' made me laugh, but I know I'll be sick of it soon.
  • Love how Amuro sits amid the wreckage of his car, with people wildly fleeing in the background, reading a computer manual. They knew their audience?
  • The industrial and mechnical design holds up pretty well, considering this was made in 1979.
  • The fight scene with the Zakus was surprisingly brutal, especially when he skewers the cockpit.

this list is good keep making lists please

i'm actually watching through some select gundam with a friend, current we've seen war in the pocket and the first MSG compilation movie, so i'm (currently) right there with you

her response so far has been "gundam is better after-the-fact than it is actually enjoyable to watch" and that's pretty well my thoughts on most gundam, more interesting to think about than to actually watch.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The best thing about Wing is the theme song sampling Riker sound effects from Star Trek TNG

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

This thread basically lives for reading first-timer accounts, so please keep posting. :allears: