Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Rule question: If I summon a unit, can I take free optional upgrades such as champions, musicians, etc?

Specifically: The Gaunt Summoner can summon 10 Pink Horrors. Are these all vanilla Pink Horrors, or can I make one of them a standard bearer, one of them a musician, and one of them a champion as indicated by the warscroll?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Geisladisk posted:

Rule question: If I summon a unit, can I take free optional upgrades such as champions, musicians, etc?

Specifically: The Gaunt Summoner can summon 10 Pink Horrors. Are these all vanilla Pink Horrors, or can I make one of them a standard bearer, one of them a musician, and one of them a champion as indicated by the warscroll?

Yes.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Revised my Aetherquartz tokens to better match the artwork in the book.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:

TKIY posted:

Revised my Aetherquartz tokens to better match the artwork in the book.

This is going full HAM.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

I got the Lumineth box and just finished assembling and basing it. I like these models, they look amazing, but the mold likes on these were exceptionally tedious to remove. Also, these long spears on the Wardens are not sturdy, at all. I broke two just filing the mold line on them gently against my finger. Even if you excuse how breakable they are, it doesn't seem physically possible for wardens to be in base-to-base contact with an enemy force due to the projection of the spears. I imagine people are just going to have to place their wardens facing backward to actually use them in combat.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Mugaaz posted:

I got the Lumineth box and just finished assembling and basing it. I like these models, they look amazing, but the mold likes on these were exceptionally tedious to remove. Also, these long spears on the Wardens are not sturdy, at all. I broke two just filing the mold line on them gently against my finger. Even if you excuse how breakable they are, it doesn't seem physically possible for wardens to be in base-to-base contact with an enemy force due to the projection of the spears. I imagine people are just going to have to place their wardens facing backward to actually use them in combat.

Well the Wardens don't want the enemies in base to base. Cause they can stab from far away.

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I picked up Stormstrike to mess with while debating where I'm at with this hobby (considering soul wars or indomitus), and almost broke a bunch of banshee bits. I may have to get a better mold line remover or a hobby knife like I used to have, and/or pick a sturdier army than nighthaunts. The stormcast were good though the mold lines need another pass before I paint them.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Mugaaz posted:

Oh cool it's 6th edition Phoenix Guard all over again.

Two Headed Calf
Feb 22, 2005

Better than One
How are Flesh Eater Courts? I've been debating starting them as it looks like my StD are at the bottom of the bucket and FEC look like they are fun to paint/play. Is it true that you can get a nearly 2k point army out of 2 start collecting boxes?

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Two Headed Calf posted:

How are Flesh Eater Courts? I've been debating starting them as it looks like my StD are at the bottom of the bucket and FEC look like they are fun to paint/play. Is it true that you can get a nearly 2k point army out of 2 start collecting boxes?

One of the courts can make a behemoth type battleline, so I could see that pretty easy. I think it's even a popular list at the moment as well.

(There's a 2000 point Mawtribes list I want to make that's three SC Beastclaw boxes and is exactly 2000 points. I have no idea if it's any good but I appreciate its symmetry.)

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug

Two Headed Calf posted:

You can almost get 2000 points out of two starter boxes, with battalions and such. You’ll probably need to kitbash an abhorrent archregent and other heroes unless you buy some separately, which will make some of the box numbers a little awkward. Archregent is finally available now and not too expensive, I’d definitely pick one up. You might also want a varghulf courtier because they are thematically mega awesome! But the model isn’t to everyone’s taste, and is resin. There is a bunch of cool ways to convert one though, if you look around. Regardless, you’ll need a bunch more ghouls to be more ‘competitive’ but it’ll play fine for FLGS battles and generally do well in a semi-tryhard environment as is, unless you’re planning on taking it to bigger tournaments and want to win the whole thing.

Thematically and lorewise, I think cursed bretonnia flesh-eater courts are amazing. One of the coolest and most original things to come out of the whole of AOS, but mechanically they are a little one-note imo. It’s almost all :black101: all the time, centered on doing the right charges at the right targets at the right time and keeping the right distances, so you can charge next turn. The main difference between army builds whether you have a fuckton of ghouls or a fuckton of big dragons and you’ll ideally want both, so it’s a little shallow. A consequence of having kinda limited model variety. Big monster dragons, small ghouls and big ghouls (some big ghouls can fly), that’s about it.

E: just wanted to say that I think they’re very enjoyable and cool to play, just don’t have a ton of variety

Revelation 2-13 fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Jul 12, 2020

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
aos team play rules are the stupid content that I absolutely crave.

edit: wait, did we go back down to there only being 3 triumphs from 2019's 6?

that's a real kick to the Kharadron's whole gimmick.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 14, 2020

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Der Waffle Mous posted:

aos team play rules are the stupid content that I absolutely crave

The "It's X-Wing But Flying AOS Monsters" ruleset in the 2020 book is a strong contender too.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Yea I started the Skaven thing

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

Rules

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

I'm not completely happy with these guys, but I have been working on them for a LONG time now, so I'm calling them done (at least for now)! I wasn't happy with the way that GW and others painted their Black Knights and decided to do something a bit more complicated.

My Wizard:

A bit out of focus, but he turned out exactly as I had wanted!

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.

Deified Data posted:

Yea I started the Skaven thing

Absolutely baller. I love the effect & colors on the wood, I know it's a small detail but the wood looks great.

Professor Shark posted:

I'm not completely happy with these guys, but I have been working on them for a LONG time now, so I'm calling them done (at least for now)! I wasn't happy with the way that GW and others painted their Black Knights and decided to do something a bit more complicated.

These rule. Love the different approach and the shields. Makes me want to do a skeleton army that are all dead Bretonnians.

Since you shared skellibois I'll throw out my favorite dude so far, my Necromancer:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Darius099 posted:

Absolutely baller. I love the effect & colors on the wood, I know it's a small detail but the wood looks great.

Thanks! I had cygor brown and snakebite leather available at the time which were too dark and too light respectively, so I wet-blended the two to give the wood an old, dingy look.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Darius099 posted:

These rule. Love the different approach and the shields. Makes me want to do a skeleton army that are all dead Bretonnians.

Since you shared skellibois I'll throw out my favorite dude so far, my Necromancer:

Thanks- that is some fine purple cloth!

BaronVanAwesome
Sep 11, 2001

I will never learn the secrets of "Increased fake female boar sp..."

Never say never, buddy.
Now you know.
Now we all know.
I was terrified in general of the GHB changes to most of the stuff I play, but I selfishly seem to got through OK! (Soulblight stuff and a lil Skaven)

I was sad to see Ethereal Amulet go (for the Vampire Lord on Zombie Dragon) but the point drop for Vhordrai makes that more palatable, and a nice point drop on Blood Knights means I can squeeze in another Vampire Lord instead of a second Necromancer or something.

Yay!

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

still a little annoyed by the roundabout nerf to Kharadron aethergold by removing half of the triumphs.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2020/07/20/warhammer-age-of-sigmar-july-2020-update-now-live
The major rules update is now live for those interested.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

Huh I guess the tradeoff for aethergold was that a lot of stuff just went down 20-30 points?

edit: CoS Dwarf unit, greatswords and steam tanks went down in points. Battlemages and scourgerunner chariots of all things went up.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jul 20, 2020

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
RIP Petrifix lmao

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

We never had a player who was super into the Bonereapers here, so I count myself lucky never having to deal with those shenanigans.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

I played petrifex twice and both times I was playing new Tzeentch so lol.

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib
It would be sort of nice if they had some designers commentary on the points changes themselves. For example, I'd like to know why the Weirdnob Shaman went up 10 points. Sometimes you can deduce why they did it, but other times its a bit mysterious. Its not a big deal, just weird.

Finished up some Ardboys to expand my Ironjawz. I don't know why but they really started feeling like a slog to paint. They're not particularly technical paint jobs or complex models, but still was really feeling the fatigue with them toward the end. At least they're done.

Bombogenesis
Mar 27, 2010

Mekkatorque 2016
Dinosaur Gum
Dear lord those look so much better when they aren't yellow. Almost makes me wanna grab their Warcry box.

Has there been any word on a solo release of the Kharadon hero from Aether War? Doesn't seem to be on GWs website and wouldn't mind grabbing one so I can just field blobs of balloons.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lasting Damage posted:

It would be sort of nice if they had some designers commentary on the points changes themselves. For example, I'd like to know why the Weirdnob Shaman went up 10 points. Sometimes you can deduce why they did it, but other times its a bit mysterious. Its not a big deal, just weird.

At a guess, it's a tax for the Hand of Gork spell.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Bombogenesis posted:

Dear lord those look so much better when they aren't yellow. Almost makes me wanna grab their Warcry box.

Has there been any word on a solo release of the Kharadon hero from Aether War? Doesn't seem to be on GWs website and wouldn't mind grabbing one so I can just field blobs of balloons.

Huh I swore they sold it separately when they did that pack of separate heroes a few months back. Well with COVID who knows anymore :shrug:

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

RagnarokAngel posted:

RIP Petrifix lmao

They got absolutely smashed.

Good for folks who like the scheme that can finally play them without being "that guy" I guess

GIRL BRAINS
Sep 5, 2011

The gods are small birds
Petrifix was the bane of my local tournament scene so I'm glad it's dead.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Deified Data posted:

They got absolutely smashed.

Good for folks who like the scheme that can finally play them without being "that guy" I guess

I find that in AOS schemes matter a lot less. Since you can't cross-pollinate subfactions like say, 40k where its viable to mix space marine chapters and most of the schemes just arent all that iconic people tend to just paint stuff however they like it and claim whatever subfaction they feel like (whether it be because its good or because they just like it).

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

Dawgstar posted:

At a guess, it's a tax for the Hand of Gork spell.

That was mine as well, but its not as obvious as like why Ardboys went up and Brutes went down. Tangentially related, one of my gripes about AoS is that many of these Artefact and Spell tables feel internally unbalanced. Why would I take anything other than the Great Green Hand right now? Especially if I'm paying 120 points for this guy. A Warchanter is 110, and gives you Violent Fury, an ability that turns Ironjawz units into wood chippers and you don't even have to roll any dice to get it to go off! He's even better in a fight.

Bombogenesis posted:

The choice to make the studio paint scheme yellow is a real head scratcher. I think the army looks fantastic in black armor.

Lasting Damage fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jul 21, 2020

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lasting Damage posted:

That was mine as well, but its not as obvious as like why Ardboys went up and Brutes went down. Tangentially related, one of my gripes about AoS is that many of these Artefact and Spell tables feel internally unbalanced. Why would I take anything other than the Great Green Hand right now? Especially if I'm paying 120 points for this guy. A Warchanter is 110, and gives you Violent Fury, an ability that turns Ironjawz units into wood chippers and you don't even have to roll any dice to get it to go off! He's even better in a fight.

You're not wrong. I'm not sure if 200 points for 10 Ardboys feels right, but 120 points for five Brutes certainly feels better even if I still feel like they hurt from the lack of the Megaboss on foot's old ability to let them reroll 1s to hit which I think if you gave it back to the Megaboss you'd have more of a reason to take him and Brutes. It's not a game-changer but certainly nice.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted

Bombogenesis posted:

:same: I can't stand GW's yellow pseudo-40k scheme but they look great in black

Lasting Damage
Feb 26, 2006

Fallen Rib

Dawgstar posted:

You're not wrong. I'm not sure if 200 points for 10 Ardboys feels right, but 120 points for five Brutes certainly feels better even if I still feel like they hurt from the lack of the Megaboss on foot's old ability to let them reroll 1s to hit which I think if you gave it back to the Megaboss you'd have more of a reason to take him and Brutes. It's not a game-changer but certainly nice.

I think Ardboys are probably still real good at 200 for 10. There's just a lot of value packed into that humble unit. But I agree that you could push the Brutes down to 120 even, if there will be no special synergy between the Footboss and them.

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

gently caress me for spending 120$ on a box of pink horrors and two of blue horrors for my gaunt summoner I guess.

Totally a correct change though. 10 pink horrors are 200 points, a gaunt summoner is 260, so with the horrors you basically get the summoner for 60 points.

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
So is there any indication at this point as to when GW will resume its regular new product previews? It feels like we’ve been out of the worst restrictions of lockdown for long enough, and most small miniature companies have been up and at ‘em for quite some time already... plus, that recent Economist article on the industry indicated that it was doing gangbusters as bored tabletop gamers clambered for stuff to work on at home. I would love to see new Warcry and Underworlds stuff soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I've read that the rest of the Lumineth line is supposed to be released in September. So I'm guessing then?