Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Nutapii posted:

With the exception of some council areas, there's no seating in the centres. I know it's the hostile architecture that's been done to death, but it also means if you're meeting someone or just wandering about you basically have to go in to the shops/cafes. Or standing about on the pavement, presumably in a mid-90s leather trenchcoat scaring folk, idk.
Leicester has some not terrible seating areas at the top of High Street for the five days it isn't raining. Also a fountain near the Town Hall (which is not the City Hall) with some non-hostile benches.

mid-90s leather trenchcoats optional

e: Also the Charles Wilson 304/305 computer room at Leicester University, which seats 82 but isn't public access.

Guavanaut fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jul 21, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Demelza
Dec 29, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Nutapii posted:

With the exception of some council areas, there's no seating in the centres. I know it's the hostile architecture that's been done to death, but it also means if you're meeting someone or just wandering about you basically have to go in to the shops/cafes. Or standing about on the pavement, presumably in a mid-90s leather trenchcoat scaring folk, idk.

Isn't this against accessibility legislation? (The lack of seating, not the trenchcoats)

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

namesake posted:

High streets died because they were stolen by private companies (sometimes literally) and redesigned to be horrible and uncomfortable places to be unless you're spending lots of money. Turning them into housing is not the worst idea but it'd be better to turn them back into public spaces through making them nice places to idle in - more green open spaces with comfortable group spaces free to access, more arts and musics venues run by local authorities to display local talent and run youth and education services from with accessible transport to and from it to all parts of the city. If we're going to have urban centres rather than micro-districts then all parts of the urban society, all communities in it, need to be able to access them easily and want to go there.

Yeah the article saying 'it would support cafe culture!' was a giveaway there, anyone who has the time and inclination to do "cafe culture" already has the chance to, we're not short on Neros and Costas, and there's the inherent assumption that whatever the gently caress they think "cafe culture" is is actually worth anything.

Use the existing public, newly non-commercially viable, space that's already a communal hub as workshops, venues, skills-growing spaces and local galleries etc with public housing above and hell yeah. The writer was saying 8 flat blocks with a franchised coffee shop and franchished mini supermarket sitting beneath each block.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I've been part of some good social groups centered around small independent coffee shops that you could probably call 'cafe culture', that all inevitably drifted into the wind when the place closed. They weren't the Wiener Kaffeehaus philosophy or anything but they were tied to the place and built friendships.

I don't think you'd get the same sort of thing with lovely chain coffee houses, because lovely chain coffee houses aren't going to have a beanbag corner other than for twee bullshit reasons rather than running out of furniture.

Cafe culture is a legit thing in the same way that pub culture is, and Nero and Costa are to that what Wetherspoons is to pub culture but worse.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Vitamin P posted:

I don't really get the decency? Surrender to Amazon and turn every single space that has any gentle communal value into identikit rentier private housing flats is garden variety Telegraph stuff.

For the record I hate it, the high street is where the olds go to get semi-social interaction, local retail shops proportionally employ more people than warehouse retail does and in less dehumanising roles, and literally anything remaining that provides any local social cohesion should be protected tbh everyone is already alienated and lonely.

You can't force people to buy local though.

In my town we have a high street with some independent shops - most selling extremely expensive clothes, a couple of bookshops, some chains (Boots, Smiths, Card Factory, and a couple more), a shed load of charity shops (some of which are never going to reopen again post covid) and some expensive coffee shops. Quite a few have closed permanently in the last few months but shops closing down has been a feature of our high street, and many others, for a few years now.

Most of the jobs available locally are part-time, national minimum wage and the public transport is so dire (pre covid - even worse now) that it is virtually impossible to get to a job elsewhere unless you can afford to do driving lessons, buy and run a car - or have wealthy parents who will shell out for you. Property is very expensive (cheapest flats - and there are few - for sale require 11 years full-time salary at national minimum wage),

The town is absolutely dead after around 600pm except for a handful of desultory shoppers in a couple of the supermarkets that are open til 8 or 9pm.

Most of the families drive to bigger towns eg Cwmbran or at a stretch Bristol (the dreaded Cribbs Causeway) to do a family-sized shop.

Most of the olds I know (and I live in a block of 19 over-55s flats with almost all the flats occupied by over-80s) get social interaction via their churches and at a variety of different coffee mornings, 'pensioners lunches' (specials on Fridays for example) and so forth.

Bringing housing into the High Street would improve things. No one said it must be identikit low quality or very expensive 'affordable' housing - that is something that needs to be done in local consultation (and yes, I agree that might be where everything stalls).

I think the thing I liked about it is the idea of bringing housing into high streets. We'll never be going back to the old-time high streets and really do need to rethink the ideas. There have been a few mutterings lately in our town about having shared work spaces (not offices, but 'workshop' type spaces) but they've never really got off the ground.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jul 21, 2020

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Junior G-man posted:

Latest pod is fresh from the rendering oven! It's genuinely a cool one as we (well, Miftan) managed to snag Josh Sawyer, Lead Designer for cool games like NWN2, Fallout New Vegas, and Pillars of Eternity 1 and 2 for a good chat about colonialism, empire, and politics in video games.

Plus it has the added advantage of releasing your brain from UK politics, and who doesn't want that right now?

https://twitter.com/PraxisCast/status/1285630943399747586?s=20

Did you ask him about Chris Avellone?

Also, :lol: at Hadley Freeman’s article in the Guardian.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

kustomkarkommando posted:

You have to send weekly turnover figures to the HMRC which isn't an issue if you're 100% VAT compliant but well *cough* a good few restaurants arent

That sounds extremely plausible, thanks!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

WhatEvil posted:

Not me but I did just see this recently and start playing Geoguessr again. It costs like £2/month for unlimited play.

You'd be surprised how quickly you start to recognise some places. I've only played maybe 20-30 rounds on the "whole world" map, and I have a good handle on when something is Sweden, for example, even without being able to necessarily put into words why - you just see the image and immediately think "hmm, looks Swedish". I usually a pretty good idea when something is US/Canada, Australia, Russia, can quite often get if it's Brazil, Mexico or Chile... Can't yet do any of that in 10 seconds with no scrolling or moving though!

Of course there's also the problem that, to some extent, 90% of America looks the same, all of Russia looks the same, much of South and Central America looks the same, much of Eastern Europe looks the same.... or at least they do given that you're most likely to get dropped onto a road with nothing much around. Often all you have to go on is: Road markings/materials, vegetation, types of other cars on the road (if any), where the sun is in the sky (if you can see it), then it's down to if you can move yourself far enough to see a road sign and try to work out what language the place names seem like.

The whole of South America seems to use more or less the same road-marking scheme, have more or less the same kinds of cars and buildings around the place, lots of it has the same sort of vegetation etc.

And Russia, South America, the US, Eastern Europe are all massive countries/areas, so you can have the right idea but still be thousands of km off and get next to no points.

It's a fun game to play, but can also be frustrating sometimes. The "World Cities" map can be a bit easier/better but you're still somewhat likely to get dropped somewhere like Santo Domingo in Ecuador and beyond being able to see Spanish-language signs, unless you've been there, it's pretty hard to pick out where you are.

I don't even know why the heck it popped up, I'd never even heard of it - big marketing push maybe

Yeah it looks like it could be a laugh though, I could see places starting to look a bit familiar - even that tree-lined road has a look to it, seems very well maintained. It was a bit weird seeing him get that stuff but being "hmmmm" about the Vietnam one with Vietnamese script all over all the shops

How much of the world do they actually have on there anyway? From him talking it sounds like it's reliant on Google Street View but even places that have it aren't necessarily on there yet?

Guavanaut posted:

Leicester has some not terrible seating areas at the top of High Street for the five days it isn't raining. Also a fountain near the Town Hall (which is not the City Hall) with some non-hostile benches.

mid-90s leather trenchcoats optional

That looks like he made his own portable bench

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Marmaduke! posted:

That sounds extremely plausible, thanks!

It's a running joke in certain industries like chip shops as it's impossible for HMRC to second guess e.g. how many chips in a portion. It can even catch the owners out when they go to sell the business, as the books don't reflect how much money they're actually making, reducing the asking price. Leads to euphemistic wording like "the accounts do not reflect the full potential of the business" in the sales docs.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Prince John posted:

It's a running joke in certain industries like chip shops as it's impossible for HMRC to second guess e.g. how many chips in a portion. It can even catch the owners out when they go to sell the business, as the books don't reflect how much money they're actually making, reducing the asking price. Leads to euphemistic wording like "the accounts do not reflect the full potential of the business" in the sales docs.

When my parents sold their business we were all convinced the guys who bought it were assuming there was a good 10-20% coming off the top of everything compared to the accounts. They had all these big ideas for expansion with new loans and lease-hire but we never had the margins to run like that.

Three years on no expansion but at least they've not gone bankrupt.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The recent "Let's Get Going" Brexit ads are really really poo poo. And reek of propaganda.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

:lol:

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

sassassin posted:

When my parents sold their business we were all convinced the guys who bought it were assuming there was a good 10-20% coming off the top of everything compared to the accounts. They had all these big ideas for expansion with new loans and lease-hire but we never had the margins to run like that.

Three years on no expansion but at least they've not gone bankrupt.

I'd like to hear more about this business

Mebh
May 10, 2010

This made me laugh way more than it should have. Now my head hurts. Stupid migraine.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
city centres should be gauntlet style beer garden trap zones with various unattainable reward bags i dont really see any other way

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

Leicester's in that mid-sized weird zone where you get both. There's a literal High Street high street which I guess still has pubs and shops (I've not been in months because of :spooky:)

And there's a bunch of other streets like the cheerily named Gallowtree Gate with modernized high street layouts, radiating off of the old clock tower.

But if you step off the map in the wrong place you can end up in dehumanize yourself and face to food courts

which, yeah, you're not going to make that a livable housing area for anyone.

that last one looks a lot like cardinal place by victoria station in london's swinging westminster. there are quite a lot of blocks of flats going up there but hard to know who lives in them. its definitely not civil servants despite the many ministries nearby. nightlife is picking up beyond civil servant pubs as there is one of those pour your own wine bars but it must be deserted at the weekend. there was a club called qube where i saw cyril hahn a few years ago but thats closed now. still i suppose they have the parks nearby

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Breath Ray posted:

I'd like to hear more about this business

We processed and treated timber. It was a good little business. 10 years of my life sat in an uninsulated steel box office in the hills, posting without limits.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
shame you logged off

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

so what did russia actually do? I'm struggling to find examples.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Crossposting from the Milhist thread because this sounds amazing:

quote:

"Diana: Warrior Princess is an indie role-playing game written by Marcus Rowland and initially published by Heliograph Incorporated, based on an article describing the setting which originally appeared in Valkyrie magazine. It is distributed as a PDF via Steve Jackson Games. It describes a fictionalised version of the twentieth century as it might be seen a few thousand years from now.

The game is a parody of Xena: Warrior Princess, and its setting tries to portray the present day with the same level of accuracy that Xena portrays Ancient Greece - i.e. not much. Historical figures are distorted and confused with each other. Diana, Princess of Wales rides around in shining white motorcycle leathers on a semi-sentient motorbike, doing battle with the war-god, Landmines, and Bonnie Prince Charlie, from whom she took her mystic powers of Royalty. She is aided by Fergie, the Barbarian Red Ken and Wild Bill Gates, while Tony the Vampire Slayer battles the sorceress Thatcher and her masked assassin Archer. The milieu also includes figures such as Emperor Norton, Queen Victoria and the "disease" lepus (described as a scriptwriting error since lepus is actually a reference to rabbits).

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

gh0stpinballa posted:

The report is about how corruption involving wealthy/criminal Russians was so deep, widespread, and institutionally tolerated in the UK that the intelligence services didn't even bother examining the Brexit referendum despite blatant red flags like the Electoral Commission's findings on Arron Banks (which explicitly recommended a police investigation). Being able to tell what they did would require anyone with the necessary official capacity to care what they did.

Long story short, Brexit was probably another in a long train of well-documented examples of money laundering and undue political influence by Russian oligarchs, but we don't and can't know for sure because the authorities stopped caring about that poo poo over a decade ago.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

stev posted:

The recent "Let's Get Going" Brexit ads are really really poo poo. And reek of propaganda.

that's literally what they are, it's vague sunny bright future stuff with a friendly "it's time to start getting ready everyone" message like everything's fine and under control, and now businesses just have to dot some i's and cross some t's

it's not really aimed at the businesses who are probably fully aware of how hosed they are at this point, it's trying to frame that as the reality of the situation in the mind of everyone else. So in January they'll be all "lazy businesses that couldn't be bothered to prepare!!! It's all their fault!"

they've been doing the same thing with the lockdown's over ads. It's time to get back out there everyone! IEnjoy your summer! Do What You Love, you know you want to... go on. GO ON. But like... be safe and... do they even mention coronavirus anymore? Shhhh everything's fine now

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

gh0stpinballa posted:

What we already knew: lots and lots of social media manipulation and funding causes that undermine the UK or at least disrupt the status quo.

As said, we don’t know the exact damage caused because our intelligence services decided that it wasn’t anything to do with them as they do cool James Bond stuff and the 60’s never ended what’s a social media????

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

i mean were the rooskies more influential than what the status quo already did to pervert democracy and drive the brit lumpen to the right? seems like our own tabloid culture, right wing domestic oligarchs owning all the media and owning all the government already does a fine job of that anyway. and like if MI6 had found any evidence that russia was doing something...what do you do with that? slap em with sanctions they evade easily but that make ordinary russians lives harder, sketch out a sternly worded UN resolution? and why is the US being held up as a good way to deal with it? their opposition party has gone completely insane chasing russian ghosts while their entire country collapses, russiagate has been the biggest waste of time in western politics ourside of maybe the remain campaign or the corbyn and bernie "movements".

idk maybe it would be better to say fair cop, this is our chickens coming home to roost, and just move on.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Still genuinely proud to have had a hand in developing this.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Camrath posted:

Saturnine? I’m about 2/3 of the way through it myself. Good hamms.
Night Lords, it's been sitting on my shelf for ages, I'm loving the hell out of it. Will pick Saturnine up after, thanks for the rec :)

Ratjaculation posted:

(hell, I would)
I've been p tempted to start up a company where I pay a bunch of people minimum wage to sit around playing vidya & let Rishi Sunak pick up the bill. Could be pretty profitable imo

e: I guess you could sell labour at below cost instead, but I heard all the money is in video games these days

Borrovan fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Jul 22, 2020

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Guavanaut posted:

Leicester's in that mid-sized weird zone where you get both. There's a literal High Street high street which I guess still has pubs and shops (I've not been in months because of :spooky:)

And there's a bunch of other streets like the cheerily named Gallowtree Gate with modernized high street layouts, radiating off of the old clock tower.

But if you step off the map in the wrong place you can end up in dehumanize yourself and face to food courts

which, yeah, you're not going to make that a livable housing area for anyone.

We also still have a big covered market with blokes yelling "BANARNERS FREE FOR A POUND!" and that also would be hard to turn into living space but I guess you're not ready for that conversation

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Imagine a future when a guy can set up in your crapper and yell about the price of his bananers, this is the future conservatives want.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

NotJustANumber99 posted:

shame you logged off

I enjoyed this post.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Regarde Aduck posted:

What we already knew: lots and lots of social media manipulation and funding causes that undermine the UK or at least disrupt the status quo.

As said, we don’t know the exact damage caused because our intelligence services decided that it wasn’t anything to do with them as they do cool James Bond stuff and the 60’s never ended what’s a social media????

TBH the problem is almost the exact opposite - with the end of the Cold War the intelligence agencies all redefined themselves as being anti-terrorist agencies so as to keep and expand their budgets, and just kinda forgot that state actors exist.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Ms Adequate posted:

We also still have a big covered market with blokes yelling "BANARNERS FREE FOR A POUND!" and that also would be hard to turn into living space but I guess you're not ready for that conversation

Did this guy drive around the country selling bananas.

Rustybear
Nov 16, 2006
what the thunder said
it's really weird to see a thread full of lefties demand that the secret police vet political candidates and campaigns more. i much preferred when the left was agitating to abolish MI5 not give them more funding

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Absolutely love how the graun ends this article. Zero mention of the antisemitism report or the fact that the 'whistleblowers' that broke NDA were named in it as deliberately acting to stall efforts to tackle it.

https://www.dumptheguardian.com/politics/2020/jul/22/corbyn-era-labour-figures-may-challenge-antisemitism-settlement

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

What we really need in this point in time is to intensify the war on drugs by banning *checks notes* laughing gas? Alright then

https://twitter.com/RosieDuffield1/status/1285848461657681920

e: https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1285849720972353536

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rustybear posted:

it's really weird to see a thread full of lefties demand that the secret police vet political candidates and campaigns more. i much preferred when the left was agitating to abolish MI5 not give them more funding

I think it's more "what even is the point of them if they can't do that"

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

TheRat posted:

What we really need in this point in time is to intensify the war on drugs by banning *checks notes* laughing gas? Alright then

https://twitter.com/RosieDuffield1/status/1285848461657681920

e: https://twitter.com/AyoCaesar/status/1285849720972353536

My only problem with this is that it the canisters are littered everywhere, and its gotten notably worse

but thats still an absolute drop in the ocean compared to cig butts, and the monumental environmental damage a single one can do (iirc; one cigarette butt can contaminate 50m3 of water.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ms Adequate posted:

You could build a bunch of houses on the market square easily enough. It'd be a bad idea and a loss of an important space but the foundations are good enough. There's no way to turn St. Peter's Square into housing without demolishing the whole thing.

TheRat posted:

lol, a drug that we've had clinical studies of recreational use on since the 1840s (because the doctors were all huffing it).

Half of the complaints are just about canisters littering everywhere, which could be avoided if it didn't have to be sold as *nudge nudge wink wink* whipped cream propellant and they could just sell larger canisters with gas/air regulators for personal use.

Why are prohibitionists and why does Labour keep doing this poo poo?

goddamnedtwisto posted:

and just kinda forgot that state actors exist.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuMC73jdygI

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Prohibitionists are because moral panic gets votes from people who moral panic a lot, and people who do the drugs don't vote anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Love a good moral panic from the woman who had to quit the front bench after she went out to gently caress another woman's husband during the plague.