Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

thatbastardken posted:

blame the Romans, if you gotta blame someone.

Gladly!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

This rules

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

thatbastardken posted:

while many, many crimes can be laid at the feet of the British people the extinction of druidic and other pagan religions is not among them. blame the Romans, if you gotta blame someone.

Pagan beliefs in magic remained common in all of Europe through the 20th century as conducted by "cunning folk" who would provide folk cures for local village ills and divination services. They only started really dying out in the Early Modern period as hysteria about witchcraft led to their persecution.

The Witchcraft Act 1735 actually stayed on the books in England until the 1950s, because it was a means of prosecuting people for fraud. It was only abolished when it was replaced by a more general fraudulent marketing law.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

chitoryu12 posted:

Pagan beliefs in magic remained common in all of Europe through the 20th century as conducted by "cunning folk" who would provide folk cures for local village ills and divination services. They only started really dying out in the Early Modern period as hysteria about witchcraft led to their persecution.

The Witchcraft Act 1735 actually stayed on the books in England until the 1950s, because it was a means of prosecuting people for fraud. It was only abolished when it was replaced by a more general fraudulent marketing law.

ok but 'the british government would prosecute people for performing unlicensed medicine (or astrology)' isn't the same as 'the british government wiped out all pagans and then an academic stole their cultural practices for profit'

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

ShoogaSlim posted:

is ghost a tough game? or any good at all for that matter? i keep obsessively reading about it and watching youtube reviews but something in my brain is blocking the purchase with a big "you will not be fooled again" stance bc i hated red dead 2 and breath of the wild and every AC game i've ever tried

I have absolutely no idea, just thought he made a good pair with the Dark Souls dude for the image

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

I keep clicking but nothing's happening?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Kheldarn posted:

I keep clicking but nothing's happening?

Fresh content:

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Pope Hilarius II posted:

It's a Greek name, though. In Latin it would be something like cornudentibussine
For a Pope your Latin is very poor.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Yeah, that's par for the course with the church

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Knormal posted:

For a Pope your Latin is very poor.

You expect a pope to get anything right?

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

https://va.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_qd2xrwWIrL1toque5.mp4

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

https://i.imgur.com/hMzST32.mp4

Sleeveless posted:

Wicca was invented in the 1950s, it's less of a religion than Scientology because it's just a bunch of British people doing a colonialism on all the pagans they wiped out based on horribly inaccurate information.

Well, yes. Except if they really are talking to Apollo and stuff the gods could tell them which parts of their made up religion are correct. You don't need ancient texts if the gods just tell you what's up.

Unless those gods are lying. Maybe they aren't talking to gods at all and it's actually elves, aliens, or interdimensional sasquatches playing pranks. No way to know for sure. :shrug:

It's wishful thinking.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
I wanna say Disinfo Book of Lies said Wicca was invented by Crowley as a money making scheme and he had Gerald Gardner act as his front man because he was too notorious and it might not be able to penetrate into polite culture if it was associated with it.

Then again, that book was edited Richard Metzger and he’s a professed Crowleyite, so there’s a good chance he was just being catty about a rival edgy nerd club.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Memento posted:

Fresh content:

Sir this is a drone free Wendy's

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://i.imgur.com/bxkyBtW.mp4

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Byzantine posted:

You expect a pope to get anything right?

When posting ex cathedra, he is never wrong.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Facebook Aunt posted:

Well, yes. Except if they really are talking to Apollo and stuff the gods could tell them which parts of their made up religion are correct. You don't need ancient texts if the gods just tell you what's up.

Unless those gods are lying. Maybe they aren't talking to gods at all and it's actually elves, aliens, or interdimensional sasquatches playing pranks. No way to know for sure. :shrug:

It's wishful thinking.

Perhaps the same could be said of all religions.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

BonHair posted:

The thing is, the sounds never really occur in English.

That's categorically untrue. Ä is found in the RP pronounciation of hat, Ö is found (as a long vowel) in RP bird. This isn't rocket surgery.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/meetissai/status/1231492636352999427

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice

:dudsmile:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://i.imgur.com/L72PoGx.gifv

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The new Hellraiser box is too complicated, imo.

Jestery
Aug 2, 2016

Not a Dickman, just a shape
Thinkin bout that box

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
It would be nice if "console exclusives" as a concept died out and burned in hell. It sucks to see some cool new release and you try to buy it and then you see that it only came out for one console that you don't have and never will have¨

Imagine if movies only came out on a certain type of television

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Zzulu posted:

It would be nice if "console exclusives" as a concept died out and burned in hell. It sucks to see some cool new release and you try to buy it and then you see that it only came out for one console that you don't have and never will have¨

don't give them ideas

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Zzulu posted:

Isn't that Quibi's business model?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zzulu posted:

Yeah like Netflix or HBO or uhh Amazon wtf?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Yeah like Netflix or HBO or uhh Amazon wtf?

It doesn't cost 500 dollars + 60 dollars to watch a movie on streaming sites you dunce. I can do that for 10 dollars and then I get access to everything they got for no extra charge. It's not the same thing

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Now, if I could SUBSCRIBE to a playstation for 10 bucks a month and get access to every single game on it and then just return it when I got bored of it that'd be a much better deal

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zzulu posted:

It doesn't cost 500 dollars + 60 dollars to watch a movie on streaming

It doesn't? :shrug:

Zzulu posted:

Now, if I could SUBSCRIBE to a playstation for 10 bucks a month and get access to every single game on it and then just return it when I got bored of it that'd be a much better deal

So... do that?

e: Oh it's 9,95€ a month so that's like 40 000 USD?

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Zzulu posted:

Movies were on timed exclusives on those big tv's you only get at movie theaters. They've recently fallen out of fashion.

GrandMaster
Aug 15, 2004
laidback

The room part 4 lookin good

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Even though I knew what this was going to be right from the start it was not the gif to be opening while I’m on a Teams call for work.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

monkeytennis posted:

Even though I knew what this was going to be right from the start it was not the gif to be opening while I’m on a Teams call for work.

Teams shows everybody else on the call what's on your desktop rather than your camera?

Or were you presenting and browsing the forums at the same time?

Or did it reflect a backwards dickbutt on your face like in a hacker movie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004