Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Communist Thoughts posted:

what happens when corbyn is gone but some other shadcab person criticises israel? I guess we'll see

Why woudl any of the ones left ever do that though?

E: jeez again? 308 years ago the first working Newcomen engine is built, kicking off the industrial revolution, and loving the world forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Ratjaculation posted:

i do agree that people who litter should be melted Indiana Jones style

Also Lib friend has posted this from his local MP, seems she genuinely believes it and seems to be a template for how MPs have been instructed to weasel their way out of voting for it. Just hoping one of our more forensic posters can go through it with a decent takedown.

Best i can manage is:

- the existing protections either aren't legally binding, have been amended, or will be amended as soon as the great repeal happens,
- the right of the house to vote on deals is meaningless if PM can whip the majority party to vote for it,
- if the existing protections are a good thing why not vote for this one,
- she's very careful to say they won't "sell" the nhs, but the issue is less selling it and more letting US firms carve it up and bankrupt it,
- the vote amounts to "we promise not to carve up the nhs, but it's very important that we vote against this clause that stops us carving up the nhs"

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
kicking him out is a front, calling it.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

thespaceinvader posted:

Why woudl any of the ones left ever do that though?

By accident or just the next time they start "mowing the lawn".

Considering the breadth of statements that have got people accused of antisemitism the sky is the limit nowadays.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This but wearing masks. e: and without the 'no dire emergency'

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

"Nobody wrote to me to point out that they want me to do the morally correct thing so I didn't do it"

loving hell MPs grow a loving spine.

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

i think also its gonna be harder to get off the tiger than the blairites expect now that they've let the tory zionists take some heads.
what happens when corbyn is gone but some other shadcab person criticises israel? I guess we'll see

Yeah, it's clear enough that the Labour Right's great sigh of relief that all of this is over and the party can move on isn't entirely performative: to some extent, they're genuinely thinking: "Ok, all this goes away from here onwards".

It won't, of course: why would it? It's now proven that the anti-semitic levers work and that the current Labour leadership will reliably fold whenever they're deployed. Expecting it to go away in these circumstances is naive. Look at Rebecca Long-Bailey, who said all the right words, signed up to the pledges etc and still got monstered. I'm expecting a lot more of that in the coming months.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jel Shaker posted:

Yeah you would literally have a civil war and unions splitting off to form a new party

I doubt it. The parliamentary labour left has no spine, and most of the unions were trying to put him in the ground anyway.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/versaysea/status/1285904586193219585?s=19

The oval office got caught sitting on investigations into holocaust denial.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Pistol_Pete posted:

Yeah, it's clear enough that the Labour Right's great sigh of relief that all of this is over and the party can move on isn't entirely performative: to some extent, they're genuinely thinking: "Ok, all this goes away from here onwards".

It won't, of course: why would it? It's now proven that the anti-semitic levers work and that the current Labour leadership will reliably fold whenever they're deployed. Expecting it to go away in these circumstances is naive. Look at Rebecca Long-Bailey, who said all the right words, signed up to the pledges etc and still got monstered. I'm expecting a lot more of that in the coming months.

yeah, mind you i can see it going both ways.
if the establishment still wants to destroy labour then yes they will continue to be destroyed by these allegations whenever the board of deputies or whoever doesn't like the cut of some MPs gib
if the establishment decides to back the professional bootlicker mi5 asset (which... is certainly palatable to them) then no matter how hard they scream you'll see the issue of antisemitism vanish into the ether to be ignored like all racism in the UK, at least until the next leftie appears

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Just reading some of the shite on twitter - I am so glad I'm not in the Labour Party anymore.
£200k 'damages' to the very people who actively sought to damage the LP.
£200k = 3800 full-rate membership subs for an entire year.
That is not what LP should be doing with members' money.

If we're going to take a financial view of this, what would the legal fees have been to take it to trial?

feedmegin posted:

Also - even if the consumer cant be arsed to return the bottle, homeless people will. I saw this in Michigan which has a 10c bottle deposit - they'd comb the dumpsters to pick them up and return them. It's a great idea because it's a very stealthy redistributive tax!

In Germany you will get actively shouted at on the street if you throw recyclable bottles away; you leave them by the bin so someone else can collect them for the pfand.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

yeah, mind you i can see it going both ways.
if the establishment still wants to destroy labour then yes they will continue to be destroyed by these allegations whenever the board of deputies or whoever doesn't like the cut of some MPs gib
if the establishment decides to back the professional bootlicker mi5 asset (which... is certainly palatable to them) then no matter how hard they scream you'll see the issue of antisemitism vanish into the ether to be ignored like all racism in the UK, at least until the next leftie appears

Nah. Only until the next election, can't risk the possibility that the left gets a chance in power and does anything even slightly meaningful to reduce the power of the hyper-wealthy, which they would.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

thespaceinvader posted:

Nah. Only until the next election, can't risk the possibility that the left gets a chance in power and does anything even slightly meaningful to reduce the power of the hyper-wealthy, which they would.

The left will not be involved in the next election in any way whatsoever

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

True.

Can't even risk the centre winning though, that might make number go up slightly less fast.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1285893175626825728?s=21

lol

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

thespaceinvader posted:

True.

Can't even risk the centre winning though, that might make number go up slightly less fast.

im not so sure. i think a spook with a proven track record of not making waves and helping the powerful escape the consequences of their actions (e: AND, importantly purging and excluding the left) is actually a pretty enticing prospect

especially when cummings actually knows the whole thing is a sham and more or less says so. thats more threatening than starmer.

at the moment i think bojo and cummings are ahead with that lot because the fallout of NDB will be a huge carrion feast for the wealthy. once that banquet is picked clean, which it will be by next election most likely, starmer is a better pick for them.

Communist Thoughts fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Jul 22, 2020

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Barry Foster posted:

The left will not be involved in the next election in any way whatsoever
Including, in particular, canvassing, leafleting, phonebanking...

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Rustybear posted:

the idea that you can distinguish 'outside' influence from 'inside' influence or that non-british ppl shouldn't input into british politics in some form is so foundationally rotten it should be chucked out instantly. do you really genuinely want the british police and security apparatus protecting you from 'hostile' foreign opinions? who is even deciding what constitutes a hostile opinion here.

The distinction between foreign and domestic ‘influence’ is that the latter can, and does, involve openly killing people and saying ‘what are you going to do about it, invade?’

The process of democratic politics requires murder to be illegal. For example, the point where Mussolini was able to successfully boast about having his political opponents killed is the point where democratic political opposition to him became a clearly futile activity.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

CoolCab posted:

kicking him out is a front, calling it.

Kicking Corbyn (and possibly McDonnell and Abbott) out is the only remotely thing to encourage the SCG to finally give up on the Labour Party and hopefully take a chunk of the union funding with them. So I sincerely hope they do it

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

The Question IRL posted:

The people in the housing estate next to our house have often thrown their rubbish (from empty bottles of booze to empty Whippet canisters to full on wooden pallets) over the wall separating it into our field.

Of course since there is multiple houses we can't prove where the rubbish came from and can't do much about it.

In addition kids are hoping over the wall in different spots and have been breaking the crops and trees while doing so. Again limited stuff we can do, as we can't prove who is doing it. (That being said we are looking at getting a drone so we can use it on our land to record footage when we spot said kids trespassing. )

In short, people are surprisingly blase about having litter as someone else's problem. You only have to watch dog owners walk their dogs and see how many actually pick up their dog's poo and how many just don't. (Or the ones who do bag it, but leave the bags on the ground.)

whose wall is it? how high is it? if you cant make it harder to get over then (bear with me) it might be better to make it easier so different trees and shrubs not damaged. or you could use anticlimb paint on 'their' side. it really depends on where you are on the political spectrum

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

im not so sure. i think a spook with a proven track record of not making waves and helping the powerful escape the consequences of their actions (e: AND, importantly purging and excluding the left) is actually a pretty enticing prospect

especially when cummings actually knows the whole thing is a sham and more or less says so. thats more threatening than starmer.

at the moment i think bojo and cummings are ahead with that lot because the fallout of NDB will be a huge carrion feast for the wealthy. once that banquet is picked clean, which it will be by next election most likely, starmer is a better pick for them.

I honestly don't think they'll care oncethe disaster capitalism is over, but that won't be soon enough for them not to need the Tories to continue it in 2024.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

forkboy84 posted:

Kicking Corbyn (and possibly McDonnell and Abbott) out is the only remotely thing to encourage the SCG to finally give up on the Labour Party and hopefully take a chunk of the union funding with them. So I sincerely hope they do it

basically exactly. they're doing something enormously unpopular with the membership so they're floating an even worse thing that they can "back down" from and seem centerist. prove me wrong starmer, prove me wrong.

Trin Tragula posted:

If we're going to take a financial view of this, what would the legal fees have been to take it to trial?

millions for defence but not one penny for tribute

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

This is where I'm at

CoolCab posted:

basically exactly. they're doing something enormously unpopular with the membership so they're floating an even worse thing that they can "back down" from and seem centerist. prove me wrong starmer, prove me wrong.

but this sounds depressingly plausible

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
I don't know if this is a kind thing to say, but the Labour party has clearly signalled that it doesn't believe the left will abandon it next election, and I'm not sure they're wrong.

We have a model to observe people disengaging from politics, it does not lead to them engaging with it by every conceivable metric during the off season and performatively stopping when an election comes around. In fact, I would suggest this higher level of engagement will be seen as a win by their metrics - sure the membership is falling and polls are still in the toilet but look at the KPIs from this tweet, see how the press reacted to this policy, etc.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

It's a shame that dangerous drug terrorists such as Humphry Davy and James Watt described that it can be easily made at home from simple chemical combinations.

I know you're semi-joking but just in case... don't try this at home kids. Not only is buying the precursors likely to have some people asking you some very serious questions (results may vary by skin tone) but the chances of accidentally making something that is extremely corrosive, toxic, explosive or all three in your kitchen lab are extremely high if you don't know exactly what you're doing.

Even if you manage to avoid it, most small-scale routes will tend to also produce NO, NO2 and NO3, all of which are toxic in interestingly different ways and definitely not something you want to be inhaling if you can avoid it - this is why we have "food-grade" nitrous which is more expensive than the stuff Vin Diesel squirts into his engine because it doesn't have these extra fun bits in it.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Breath Ray posted:

whose wall is it? how high is it? if you cant make it harder to get over then (bear with me) it might be better to make it easier so different trees and shrubs not damaged. or you could use anticlimb paint on 'their' side. it really depends on where you are on the political spectrum

The wall was built by the developers who made the housing estate. It faces onto our land, but technically it might be part of the houses in the same way that if you buy a house in a housing estate you get the back garden.

Height wise I would say it must be at least 6 to 8 feet high.

As for this, I understand what you are saying. But I just don't think people should be allowed throw their crap into our families field.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

CoolCab posted:

I don't know if this is a kind thing to say, but the Labour party has clearly signalled that it doesn't believe the left will abandon it next election, and I'm not sure they're wrong.

Oh, absolutely they believe this & I think they are probably right based on what I've seen. The left have no serious option right now, vote Labour or abstain. And so many people on the left are invested in voting. But we the only way that Labour listens to the left if we prove our votes can't be taken for granted. Which is why I want a new left party which instantly has serious funding from trade unions & already has a media presence by having what, after the last 5 years, are a group containing several quite high profile MPs. But I'm probably being too optimistic.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I know you're semi-joking but just in case... don't try this at home kids. Not only is buying the precursors likely to have some people asking you some very serious questions (results may vary by skin tone) but the chances of accidentally making something that is extremely corrosive, toxic, explosive or all three in your kitchen lab are extremely high if you don't know exactly what you're doing.

Even if you manage to avoid it, most small-scale routes will tend to also produce NO, NO2 and NO3, all of which are toxic in interestingly different ways and definitely not something you want to be inhaling if you can avoid it - this is why we have "food-grade" nitrous which is more expensive than the stuff Vin Diesel squirts into his engine because it doesn't have these extra fun bits in it.
Yeah don't cook fertilizer in your kitchen like Joseph Priestley because the best case situation is you get the bad nitrogen oxides. Sir Humphrey managed to do it safely but then he also managed to blind himself for a week by adding chlorine into the mix, so 19th century chemistry was never that big on Health and Safety. (As a side note, he only hired Michael Faraday as an assistant when he thought he'd gone permanently blind, so electrical and chemical history may have been long term worse off if he'd bought a pair of safety goggles.)

There is a combination that is safe, happens in the liquid state, and as long as you do it the right way around can't produce the bad nitrogen oxides, but if you know what that is then you know what that is, and if you don't you shouldn't be doing it at home, because adding them the other way around does bad things. I still wouldn't breathe it.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

forkboy84 posted:

already has a media presence by having what, after the last 5 years, are a group containing several quite high profile MPs. But I'm probably being too optimistic

The media presence would be 'corbinista antisemites flock to new party'

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

sinky posted:

The media presence would be 'corbinista antisemites flock to new party'

Which is still considerably more than any other left startup party would get.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Question IRL posted:

The wall was built by the developers who made the housing estate. It faces onto our land, but technically it might be part of the houses in the same way that if you buy a house in a housing estate you get the back garden.

Height wise I would say it must be at least 6 to 8 feet high.

As for this, I understand what you are saying. But I just don't think people should be allowed throw their crap into our families field.

Dig a punji pit along the edge of your field. Fill the stakes with dog poo. Two birds with one stone.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

OwlFancier posted:

Dig a punji pit along the edge of your field. Fill the stakes with dog poo. Two birds with one stone.
I just took the dog round the park for a poo poo but he didn't clean up after me, didn't even bring any bags. Shameful.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

sebzilla posted:

https://twitter.com/acailler/status/1285840008885215233?s=19

Who needs a large and enthusiastic membership, anyway?

There's a guy in the replies who thinks getting shot of Corbyn will send the 'hard left' crazy.

DeadButDelicious
Oct 11, 2012

Leave me to do my dark bidding on the internet!

bessantj posted:

There's a guy in the replies who thinks getting shot of Corbyn will send the 'hard left' crazy.

If that's the "all the right people will go mad" bloke then gently caress me, I work with that guy. He's a through-and-through Blairite so his opinions are poo poo anyway

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Honest the more time goes by the more I think I might become a leninist or a maoist or something.

Not because I think they're actually good ideologies that will lead to a good societal outcome, but because if we had a cultural revolution I'd certainly feel a lot better if the carnage was directed upwards for a little while.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
OwlTankier

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

DeadButDelicious posted:

If that's the "all the right people will go mad" bloke then gently caress me, I work with that guy. He's a through-and-through Blairite so his opinions are poo poo anyway

Its someone named GingerMedic who's bio says he's a life long tory so I guess hard left is anyone that doesn't think landowners should have all the wealth.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I wonder if that's how the trot to neocon pipline works, you just get tired of trying to create a good society and settle for maximum death and destruction. Though they still tend to focus it against people who already have the worst lot in life so maybe not.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Honest the more time goes by the more I think I might become a leninist or a maoist or something.

Not because I think they're actually good ideologies that will lead to a good societal outcome, but because if we had a cultural revolution I'd certainly feel a lot better if the carnage was directed upwards for a little while.

Yeah. This is where I'm at now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Miftan posted:

Check out this cool picture someone snapped at a protest in Jerusalem yesterday!

Those protests seemed pretty big last night. I saw a video of mounted police charging into the protestors. I thought that was only the UK where that still happened.

Did anyone watch PMQs? I didn't. Did Starmer disgrace himself?