Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Elan is tad better proportioned. It doesn't have the small awkward nose with giant headlamps and an enormous rear to go with, the front is bigger, the headlamps are smaller and the whole body has a similar level and a line. Overall this changes the perception of the whole car.
Kia acknowledged their design flaw so KCV-III looks better than II

Erulisse fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Jul 16, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Elmnt80 posted:

That username/post combo. :eyepoop:

You were right.

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

AntherUslessPoster posted:

what the gently caress

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

TheFonz posted:

what the gently caress

Awful yet still better than ii
At least this one is consistent in its awfulness

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

TheFonz posted:

what the gently caress

Dig Dug :argh:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
The problem with the FWD Elan's looks is that it seems quite stubby from anything other than pretty much that press shot angle.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

AntherUslessPoster posted:

Elan is tad better proportioned. It doesn't have the small awkward nose with giant headlamps and an enormous rear to go with, the front is bigger, the headlamps are smaller and the whole body has a similar level and a line. Overall this changes the perception of the whole car.

It's almost like a veyron with gigantic headlights.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Minnesota Mixup posted:

It's almost like a veyron with gigantic headlights.

It's like a Veyron hosed a fourth gen Eclipse.

And they were related before the marriage.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
The headlights on the Kia gave me Nissan 300ZX/McLaren F1 vibes.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I still love the looks of that generation Elan.

I remember looking them up on Ebay motors back when I was in high school.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

:3

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Secretly longing for the car industry to bring back tiny cars.

https://twitter.com/theOlliePickard/status/1284890758810669057?s=19

I'd settle for a scaled replica like these K4GP cars tbh

https://twitter.com/ohgodwhatdoiput/status/1193622924407783432?s=19

https://twitter.com/greatistheworld/status/1125517665882103809?s=19

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Jul 19, 2020

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

https://twitter.com/theOlliePickard/status/1284890758810669057?s=19

There's a guy near me with a couple of GTMs, not sure which generation. I think the later K series Metro based ones.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Alibaba has you covered.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

That gt0.4. Holy moly.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Puddin posted:

That gt0.4. Holy moly.

The exact reaction I had :allears:

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Olympic Mathlete posted:

The exact reaction I had :allears:

It looks like it's centre of gravity is below the actual road surface.

The proportions are spot on and the roof is lower than the loving middle of the door of the Mira. I love how they had to put a bubble in the roof to fit the drivers helmet.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Fun fact. When the center of gravity is below rotation axis drawn across wheels, you actually don't need an anti sway bar. In fact some race cars have the opposite. They have mechanisms to apply body roll to the chassis. This is to counteract the body antiroll induced by cars with these specific mass geometry conditions.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
x-post from the OSHA thread:

Platystemon posted:

“Due to the coronavirus limitations in Poland, the fans of Motor Lublin club borrowed 18 cranes to support their team.”

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

That roll bar is....optimistic. Then again, I assume there is no possible way to flip these things over?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

um excuse me posted:

Fun fact. When the center of gravity is below rotation axis drawn across wheels, you actually don't need an anti sway bar. In fact some race cars have the opposite. They have mechanisms to apply body roll to the chassis. This is to counteract the body antiroll induced by cars with these specific mass geometry conditions.

Wait so instead of the car rolling outwards like I expect to see the weight pendulums outwards at ground level instead and the car looks like it's leaning in? :psyduck: that's awesome.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The effect isn't as dramatic as positive body roll you see in most road cars since you can only put the center of mass so low before you hit the ground, but yeah, they lean into corners like boats do. It's not a desirable effect since it can cause havoc on handling predictability, hence the negative stabilizers. There's a strong chance for this to occur on any vehicle whose body height is lower than the tire diameter. Which is unsurprisingly not a lot of vehicles.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

tuo posted:

That roll bar is....optimistic. Then again, I assume there is no possible way to flip these things over?

Never say never, there's always a way to flip a race car. That roll bar wouldn't pass rules for most if not all racing groups in the US.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I went googling for K4GP and found a video with english subtitles. The GT0.4 makes an appearance about 4 minutes in. It's powered by a Kawasaki 12F jet ski engine. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnn3b-lxTAY

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

um excuse me posted:

Got an example or keyword you'd recommend to search? This sounds really interesting.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
It's not a keyword more than it is a specific suspension geometry that gives it away.

Of course my doodle isn't exact, and there are an infinite number of solutions, but when the center of mass is below the roll center like depicted, a sway bar is merely a suggestion.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

Ahhhhhhhhh :aaa:

https://twitter.com/douglassonders/status/1285617757199925250?s=19

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Oh hey, I literally studied this in school! Let's see if I remember anything! :eng101:

I think um excuse me's sketch is 100% accurate, but if I remember:

You can imagine your roll center as the point a car will pivot around (viewed from the front), and the center of mass as the point your lateral forces are applied.

If your roll center is more or less on top of your center of mass, the distance between them is real short, so the force doesn't have a lot of lever arm to roll the body. Your springs resist this motion, often times enough that sway bars aren't strictly necessary.

If your roll center is ABOVE your CoM (uncommon), your car will actuall bank like an airplane into turns, but there are other detrimental effects, such as your tires wanting to scrub sideways a relatively large amount for a given amount of body roll/vertical travel. In um excuse me's sketch, if the body moves up or down, the tires are going to want to move sideways which is somewhat comprimising for grip. Formula designers know what they're about, though, and their cars have miniscule body roll and vertical travel though, and they can tune for whatever dynamics they're looking for.

If your roll center is BELOW your CoM (basically any road car), you get the behavior everyone's familiar with where the top of your car wants to roll towards the outside of a turn.

If I remember, your roll center being at ground level has the effect of your tires scrubbing sideways not at all with body roll/travel. I feel like there's another effect I'm forgetting but I don't remember.

There's tons of tradeoffs in suspension design, and there's different effects if your instant centers are closer or farther away from the car (ie, more parallel or less parallel a-arms trade off if your tire camber changes more with roll than with travel, or vice versa, respectively) and how long your a-arms are. Cars designed for very wide tires tend to try and keep their tires as vertically as possible, so for example you'd want nearly parallel A-arms (keep them vertical in travel), with stiff anti-roll bars, or have your roll center at your center of mass.

Some really clever designs I've seen decouple the springs from the suspension roll, so in effect you have one set of springs that only resist vertical motion, and another spring (or antiroll bar) that only resists roll, extremely tunable.

I don't know any reliable resources to look at offhand (other than probably wikipedia), but some good books are:
Tune to Win and Design to Win by Carroll Smith - really really good reads if you're looking into racecar design, this guy designed race cars for decades and was a Formula SAE judge for many years. Written in more or less plain english, light on equations but heavy on diagrams and descriptions of what happens
Race Car Vehicle Dynamics by Milliken - this is like a college-level textbook on suspension design
Chassis Engineering by Herb Smith - this one's okay, is a much shorter book than the above stuff

I think that's right, someone jump on me if I got something wrong. It's been about fifteen years since I thought about this stuff.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The three spring pushrod/pullrod suspension set up is an example of isolating the higher spring rates for compression/rebound and a lower spring rate for turning, effectively doing the opposite of a sway bar. All the ones I've seen still have a sway bar, though.

Instant center determines the dynamic camber rate in cornering relative to your spring rate. The further the instant center is from the center of the car, the less dynamic camber, the closer the instant center is, the more dynamic camber. You want a short instant center for cars with rougher racing surface to accommodate softer suspension and longer travel. Of course straight gravel or snow is the exception to the rule, since slip angles become a dominant handling feature. Dynamic camber is also determined by length of upper and lower suspension linkages, but this isn't a lecture so I'll leave it at that.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Jul 21, 2020

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Awesome thanks! I'm used to working on just production street cars turned into race cars with super specific rules that basically amount to you can change springs, shocks, sway bars and bushings, adjusting things like mounting points and geometry are forbidden.

Also we never had the tools to measure or simulate what was going on so it was 99% change one thing and look at the data logs, not engineer a plan from the outset.

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004

be still my beating heart

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
So it's a Desert Eagle then?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Just sold for $250k on Bring A Trailer, with 8k miles on the clock

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Outside the local shop I brought the RS4 to today. They apparently also had a twin turbo R8 V10 in for a clutch job. I wonder why.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Memento posted:

I was gonna post that earlier, but I got distracted. That price is absolutely ridiculous in every way.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

It’s red. I think it’s worth it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Memento posted:

BaT really is having some stupidity level effect on the classic car market. But OTOH 250K for a utterly mint stock 1988 M3? I'd say that wasnt actually too far off base.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Is the car a $250k experience or is it in the grasp of a collector at this point? I'd assume the latter, but I've never driven one so I can't say for sure. $250k can buy a shitload of car bliss, it would be a hard argument to the former.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Collector, definitely. The E30 M3 needs a track to be appreciated, and that one will never see one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

The cars as investments people are the worst but it smacks of Tulips where one day the only people turning up to auctions will be sellers as the bubble will have burst.