Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I went to Liffey Valley today to drop off a full bag of Nespresso coffee pods for recycling.
I also wanted to get food from M&S as they have lots of GF stuff.
I had been there two weeks ago and the place was a ghost town. Only about four shops open.

This time when I went in it was jammed. Less than 1/10th of people were wearing masks.

Also when I went to to in through the M&S door the staff explained that you couldn't access the rest of the shopping centre through M&S, you had to go around the other side.

This caused the man in front of me (not wearing a mask) to shout out how "the Corona Virus was just an excuse to order people around."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Failed Imagineer posted:

Tbh tattoists should have been one of the first things to open, assuming necessary precautions. PPE is usually equivalent to a dentists office, without the potential for creating aerosols from oral fluid that dentists have.

Though I suspect the ones flouting the guidelines are probably pretty lax in general

So apparently the hit to your immune system while healing can be a concern. Not that anyone in any position of power here has ever cared either way about body mod which is why I could wash needles in the toilet and reuse them and legally stay open

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Politically a lot has happened in the last few weeks.
The Government was formed and immediately suffered a car crash arising out of two different ministers having undeclared brushes with the law.
A far right party had a rally in Dublin and got laughed at by the media, mainstream and social.

But the most amusing story is Keogh's potatoe farm getting busted for cultivating weed.
The current theory is that Mr. Tayto shopped them.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh THAT'S why everyone was making jokes about Keogh's and weed!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Shoehead posted:

Oh THAT'S why everyone was making jokes about Keogh's and weed!

It gets funnier, check out their website: https://www.keoghs.ie/

quote:

Following media coverage relating to the Keogh’s family business and the reporting of the unlicensed cultivation of cannabis by a family member, Keogh’s Farm would like to confirm that this has occurred and communicate the full details of the situation.

Tony Keogh 64 is a retired farmer from north County Dublin and uncle to Tom Keogh founder of Keoghs Crisps Limited.
Unbeknownst to the Keogh business, Tony who officially retired from the family farm business in 2019, had been researching medical cannabis production around the world following the move by the Irish government to legalise medical cannabis last year.

Tony did not reveal his intentions to anybody, nor did he seek legal advice at any stage. Tony had been cultivating the plants in a small area of an unused glasshouse within full view of the public road and as such a member of the public reported the activities to the Garda Siochana.

And Keogh's > Tayto, fight me.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

happyhippy posted:

It gets funnier, check out their website: https://www.keoghs.ie/

And Keogh's > Tayto, fight me.

Correct

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

It depends what you are in the mood for.

Sometimes I want Hunky Doreys. Some times I want Ripples. Some time King (normally the best.)
There are times I love Tayto (both Bistro and normal packs.) And of course the Smokey Bacon flavours.

Oh and Barry Cowen has been sacked. That's got to be some record for a Government losing a minister so fast.

Edit: And now he's on Twitter saying that he's being unfairly railroaded.

Now I can well believe that the Gardai added extra details about this incident for the sake of getting a conviction.

I also can well believe that Barry Cowen is the type of Privileged guy who would convince himself that he wasn't evading arrest when he did pull a U-turn before the Garda checkpoint because he was driving home for an unrelated reason.

The Question IRL fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Jul 14, 2020

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Lmao

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

if someone is in the bottom 10%~ of a guillotine
The Cowen thing is hilarious on so many levels. His idiocy, his entitlement, his being back stabbed by other people in FF, Martin having to do a complete 180 on defending him... Its hard to pick the best part of it.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I haven't tried Taytos in years. It's just oily, salty shite that ends up more in your hands than your mouth. Keogh's and that other crowd have actual crunch and texture.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Good lord. Those who pull out quick in bed have nothing on Barry Cowen.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

Tried Keoghs because of this chat. They're nice but too salty.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

O’Donnell hickory smoked are the boss

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

What's the best cheesey crips? I don't mean & onion. Just cheese.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm a King man myself, now.

Can I ask, cos I think this would be a good place to. The March for Innocence (which I found big professional stickers for up on lampposts in random housing estates??) was thankfully ignored by most outlets it looks like. Which is great but I wanna know why a fight broke out at it. Does anyone know?

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Shoehead posted:

I'm a King man myself, now.

Can I ask, cos I think this would be a good place to. The March for Innocence (which I found big professional stickers for up on lampposts in random housing estates??) was thankfully ignored by most outlets it looks like. Which is great but I wanna know why a fight broke out at it. Does anyone know?

I don't know why a fight broke out (heck I didn't even know what the March for Innocence even was until I just Googled it.)

But if I had to guess, the description of the event sounds very populist. (" We are marching against Paedophiles! All of them!! If we chant very loudly they will all leave.")

I am guessing that the people who are going to that event (which is designed to be emotive) are going to be predisposed to a fight. Even before you have peoe give passionate speeches.

I saw a video on Twitter of John Connor yelling full on at a journalist, and if he was giving a speech with the same level of energy, I'm not surprised that there was fights.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
It was organised by the fash to try link the new minister to some UK Labour dude who said dodgy poo poo one time due to them both being gay. Because antifa are generally sensible people most of them stayed at home what with the global pandemic and all. This led the scum to realise that they weren't outnumbered and when they got to 10/1 odds they were brave enough to make a run at the few people who turned up to oppose them. It's worth noting that the "P9" and noose signs are a reference to the National Party's policy to execute anyone who provides an abortion, so that's the level of fuckwit who turned up at this "peaceful anti-pedophilia rally".

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I passed them early on in the day outside the GPO and they had a bunch of QAnon poo poo on their posters, so lol

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

It was organised by the fash to try link the new minister to some UK Labour dude who said dodgy poo poo one time due to them both being gay.

Yeah it was literally over a single photo of O'Gorman standing beside Peter Tatchell, probably the singular most famous LGBT rights campaigners in the UK (though filled with vaguely old fashioned 80s opinions about stuff - see him opposing the ruling against Asher's up North over the gay cake controversy).

Then it spiralled out into people screaming about what he meant about hot dogs in some tweet and "disgust" over him liking one of those quarantine dress like a painting posts where someone imitated Saturn devouring his son, which is clearly anti-child brutality

It was and is real loving stupid

kustomkarkommando fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Jul 16, 2020

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

kustomkarkommando posted:

Yeah it was literally over a single photo of O'Gorman standing beside Peter Tatchell, probably the singular most famous LGBT rights campaigners in the UK (though filled with vaguely old fashioned 80s opinions about stuff - see him opposing the ruling against Asher's up North over the gay cake controversy).

Then it spiralled out into people screaming about what he meant about hot dogs in some tweet and "disgust" over him liking one of those quarantine dress like a painting posts where someone imitated Saturn devouring his son, which is clearly anti-child brutality

Yes it was real stupid.

That being said, from what I remember, Peter Tatchell did have some questionable comments in the past about the age of consent and how it should be lowered. Again, I’m sure he’s famous for his campaigning for LGBT rights, but he’s one of those old school ones who has probably supported some campaigns that have not aged well.

I think the Halloween costume is something that O’Gorman should be rightly called up over.

Not because dressing like a classical painting means that he supports child brutality. But if someone comes to a Halloween party dressed as an obscure classical painting, it is almost certain that the reason they did so was so people would have to ask them over and over again “what is your costume.”
And that just means he’s a knob.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Eh, "vaguely old fashioned 80s opinions about stuff" is drastically underselling the problematic nature of Peter Tatchell's views. Hes literally on the record defending sex between adults and children between the ages of 9 and 13:

Tatchell is extremely controversial and its not without cause O'Gorman being pulled up for being associated with him. It also wasn't just an innocent/accidental photo where O'Gorman could claim ignorance of who he was posing next to, O'Gorman tweeted the photo specifically tagging Tatchell: https://t.co/E9L0ukxTLX

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Some older gay rights guys have stupid and or hosed up opinions about things. It's the reason you didn't have someone like norris front and centre for marriage equality. Dinosaurs like that we're useful for getting rich people to think about gays as something other than subhuman, because they were educated to the same extent and of the same class. They can be safely ignored and treated as an embarrassment at this point.

This whole reactionary wave we've seen is comical, but we shouldn't forget that they are fascists and must be treated as such. This anti-gay pedophile false equivalency is an old tired tactic and will be refuted again.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I figured all the talk of pedos brought out some Q crazies. I saw some dumb shite about him being a Satanist too, which first off is ridiculous and secondly... what's so bad about that??? Hmmmm??

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Blut posted:

Eh, "vaguely old fashioned 80s opinions about stuff" is drastically underselling the problematic nature of Peter Tatchell's views. Hes literally on the record defending sex between adults and children between the ages of 9 and 13:

Tatchell is extremely controversial and its not without cause O'Gorman being pulled up for being associated with him. It also wasn't just an innocent/accidental photo where O'Gorman could claim ignorance of who he was posing next to, O'Gorman tweeted the photo specifically tagging Tatchell: https://t.co/E9L0ukxTLX

I mean Tacthells response to that is usually it says "it may be impossible to condone peadophillia" and he usually claims the letter was truncated for publication - elsewhere he's been pretty adamant that what he wants is the age of consent to be lowered to 14 and a "Romeo and Juliet" allowance for statutory rape prosecutions.

I mean old fashioned as these discussions about the age consent did cross over with a generation of gay rights campaigners who largely came of age before the decriminalisation of homosexuality and age of consent parity - for example comments made by a certain well known bearded senator that resurfaced during his presidential campaign nine years ago

But last I checked people don't throw a poo poo fit if someone is photographed with David Norris

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

I mean Tacthells response to that is usually it says "it may be impossible to condone peadophillia" and he usually claims the letter was truncated for publication - elsewhere he's been pretty adamant that what he wants is the age of consent to be lowered to 14 and a "Romeo and Juliet" allowance for statutory rape prosecutions.

I mean old fashioned as these discussions about the age consent did cross over with a generation of gay rights campaigners who largely came of age before the decriminalisation of homosexuality and age of consent parity - for example comments made by a certain well known bearded senator that resurfaced during his presidential campaign nine years ago

But last I checked people don't throw a poo poo fit if someone is photographed with David Norris

Even if that letter is truncated or not, he is talking about sex between adults and children. And he mentions children between 9 and 13. There would have to have been a huge amount of material taking out of that letter to explain that part.

Marenghi
Oct 16, 2008

Don't trust the liberals,
they will betray you
Eamon Ryan woken from his slumber during the dail to vote against a living wage and better maternity for working mothers.

Living up to their name of Fine Gael on bikes.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

The Question IRL posted:

Even if that letter is truncated or not, he is talking about sex between adults and children. And he mentions children between 9 and 13. There would have to have been a huge amount of material taking out of that letter to explain that part.
Just that the jurisdiction in which it happened defined adults as 14 and up apparently (Bundesrepublik Deutschland is what some said?). There's a certain level of academic anthropological commentary there which is going to be a hard sell to anyone used to the 18+ idea. Of course this happened back when the Sun was doing a countdown to Sam Fox turning 16 so they could publish her tits but that was fine...

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Am I nuts or does the 3 tiers of Covid relief seem like they should be back to front? I went back to work the other week but not before they cut my covid pay, which.. uh must be due to an average over the year or something because I usually make over 300 quid a week easily. But surely people who were making less before the pandemic have a greater need now?? Why do people missing out on better paid jobs deserve MORE help?

Tbh this would bother me anyway even if I was in a good spot but as it stands if we all get locked in again I might be in trouble. Wear your masks for Shoehead pls

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

https://twitter.com/saoirse_mchugh/status/1286211467004514308?s=19

*Sad trombone*

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

The line in her tweet slightly further down that thread:

"I don’t believe that our pathway to a just and free society lies in electoral politics.”

Is both pretty horrifying, and says a lot about her. Shes run for election 3 times and lost each election. A smart person at this stage would realise the problem is themselves/their policies, and make changes. Not throw a tantrum and blame pesky democratic elections for keeping her from power.

This mini split (if Neasa Hourigan and Lorna Bogue and others leave too especially) is great news for Eamon Ryan. He just scraped a win in the Green leadership contest tonight, so having the radical left element of the party break off will only make him more secure as the head of the moderate/centrist wing.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I mean,I also have come to the conclusion that electoralism is probably incapable of substantially fixing the trajectory of our society,and I didn't even have to run for office once to get there

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Blut posted:

The line in her tweet slightly further down that thread:

"I don’t believe that our pathway to a just and free society lies in electoral politics.”

Is both pretty horrifying, and says a lot about her

Horrifying? Mate, if you haven't looked at the world around us and come to a similar conclusion I don't know what to tell you.

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

forkboy84 posted:

Horrifying? Mate, if you haven't looked at the world around us and come to a similar conclusion I don't know what to tell you.

Yeah, you're right, abandoning electoral democracy is just what the world needs to make things better. It worked out so well for Europe in the 1930s.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Blut posted:

Yeah, you're right, abandoning electoral democracy is just what the world needs to make things better. It worked out so well for Europe in the 1930s.

If only Weimar Germany had elected a competent bureaucrat like...Paul von Hindenberg???

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's a bit weird IMO to say that the form of electoral politics that exists at this moment is the only thing that matters and all its outcomes must be just, especially given the bollocks that just went on with the shittiest parties deciding to block out all the others from any sort of representation...

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I mean most people think electoralism is politics, to the extent that they've ever thought about it in any way at all

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah but what sort of weirdo looks at the right closing ranks to disenfranchise a massive chunk of the electorate and goes "hmm yes this is the perfect system"

I mean other than a massive right winger obviously, but what normal person.

Honestly the funniest bit of phrasing is the idea of viscerally improving people's lives.

Like I get what she means but it's a funny word to use.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jul 23, 2020

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah but what sort of weirdo looks at the right closing ranks to disenfranchise a massive chunk of the electorate and goes "hmm yes this is the perfect system"

FFG have performed some generational Jedi mind trick where most of Ireland doesn't even think of them both as right-wing, it's perplexing

Eighties ZomCom
Sep 10, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Honestly the funniest bit of phrasing is the idea of viscerally improving people's lives.

Like I get what she means but it's a funny word to use.

Perhaps she means improving some people's lives by using a guillotine on other people. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blut
Sep 11, 2009

Failed Imagineer posted:

If only Weimar Germany had elected a competent bureaucrat like...Paul von Hindenberg???

The demolishing of the democratic system in Weimar Germany was the action that resulted in rather a lot of problems, not the election of Hindenburg.

All recent history suggests that anyone who rants about how useless elective democracy is tends to end up being a horrendous despot. Democracies may elect some terrible people, but the system of elections does at least almost always moderate their actions more than any other political system humans have invented.

OwlFancier posted:

It's a bit weird IMO to say that the form of electoral politics that exists at this moment is the only thing that matters and all its outcomes must be just, especially given the bollocks that just went on with the shittiest parties deciding to block out all the others from any sort of representation...

FF, FG and the Greens got 50.2% of the national vote between them. And 53% of TDs. How on earth did their forming a government disenfranchise "a massive chunk of the electorate"?

They've got awful policies, but they between them won a majority of both the national vote and the elected representatives. The current government by any definition its a completely legitimate democratic government, that literally represents the majority of the country.