Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Grand Fromage posted:

The only possibility was if the Yupik who went back and forth across the Bering Strait had brought the old world diseases with them long enough before the Europeans arrived that the Americans were able to build up an equivalent level of immunity.

(1) give the Yupik pigs and cows 10,000 years ago
(2) let bacteria/viruses that jump from farm animals to humans evolve over many thousands of years in the americas
(3) at the columbian contact, we both give each other insanely deadly viruses that none of us have resistances to and all die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nessus posted:

I suspect even a moderately higher level of baseline resistance to smallpox etc. would have made an immense difference. I'm not sure there would have been successful European domination in these contexts. In some regions perhaps but it seems like you would not have had a situation where Cortes knocks over an entire ancient civilization and produces giant wagonloads of silver.

Yeah smallpox made it from virginia to lousiana in three years, and i think it wiped out the aztecs in a matter of months. Its crazy how fast it moves in a population with no resistance.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

You might have a chance if you somehow had the smallpox vaccine prior to the colombian exchange.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Grand Fromage posted:

In that case I would imagine American colonization would look more like African/Asian, a thin layer of Europeans dominating a native society.

That is what American colonization looked like during the first few generations, practically all the 16th century Spanish adventurers wanted to get power with the help of their local allies, marry into local nobility (or what could pass for it, like Malintzin) and get rights to the forced labor of the local lower classes. This stopped being the ideal because most of these three groups subsequently died.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

skasion posted:

That is what American colonization looked like during the first few generations, practically all the 16th century Spanish adventurers wanted to get power with the help of their local allies, marry into local nobility (or what could pass for it, like Malintzin) and get rights to the forced labor of the local lower classes. This stopped being the ideal because most of these three groups subsequently died.
Did they? I thought there was a lot less of a collapse but it may be more that when the population increased again after the crash, in central/south America it came from natives to a much greater extent than in north America.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
If Americans really did have a bunch of plague-tier diseases besides the outside possibility of syphilis, that probably would have resulted in a scenario where the old world didn't dominate the new, because we would have had 90% depopulation everywhere

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Grand Fromage posted:

I would imagine American colonization would look more like African/Asian, a thin layer of Europeans dominating a native society.

I'm not sure if in this scenario they could manage even that. A large part of why Europeans were able to do that to Asia/Africa was because they had been able to enrich and advance themselves with the spoils of two essentially emptied continents. When Europeans came to the Americas they didn't have that kind of resource base and the industrialization it enabled. There's no way 1492 Spain could have waged a transatlantic war of conquest against native states without disease killing the whole population for them. Even if they had defeated a native state in open combat the native populations would have been too numerous to control without industrial warfare and organization from across an ocean.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Parmenides posted:

At this rate you may as well cite the movie 300.

Unfortunately, you're already using that source.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Parmenides posted:

If you're a Theban Sympathiser, just come out and admit it. What part of "spartan male society" do you think I'm forgetting, and why do you think Thebes is anything other than contemptible? I can discuss Thebes if people here like that city, but I had hoped to discuss the better people of Hellas rather than the very worst.

it's the gay part, op

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

galagazombie posted:

I'm not sure if in this scenario they could manage even that. A large part of why Europeans were able to do that to Asia/Africa was because they had been able to enrich and advance themselves with the spoils of two essentially emptied continents. When Europeans came to the Americas they didn't have that kind of resource base and the industrialization it enabled. There's no way 1492 Spain could have waged a transatlantic war of conquest against native states without disease killing the whole population for them. Even if they had defeated a native state in open combat the native populations would have been too numerous to control without industrial warfare and organization from across an ocean.
They could have probably knocked off the Caribbean societies but the continental native nations would have been another story. And if they hadn't had disease working for them at all, as opposed to "significantly less powerful," I don't think they could have gotten that far. Guns and horses and steel would of course make a strong impact.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

galagazombie posted:

Entirely possible. IIRC the Spanish managed to knock over the Incas without much help from disease, which gives them access to the silver mines. I also suspect they would have been able to bring down the Aztecs, the smallpox outbreak helped but the main reason they won was they were able to put together an alliance of all the people the Aztecs had pissed off. But certainly if the Europeans couldn't make any inroads at all in the Americas, things would've been quite different.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Jazerus posted:

it's the gay part, op

i would actually unironically like to ask if anyone has book recs re: thebes/the sacred band in the 4th/5th century

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Parmenides posted:

I am just a humble forums-goer, promoting respect for Hellenic and Chinese antiquity.

Again, you need to broaden your education beyond Plutarch's Memes. At this rate you may as well cite the movie 300.

See above; Diogenes of Sinope is a fictional character and his whole mythology is the product of small-minded Romans. If even half the stories about him were true, he would have been arrested and executed by the Eleven within about ten seconds of arriving in Athens.

There is a tiny fragment of truth to be found here. The colonies in the east did host some of the greatest intellectual developments in human history. Of course, people like Thales pre-date the Persian conquest of Lydia and Ionia, and much of what you say is just rude and unfair.

If you're a Theban Sympathiser, just come out and admit it. What part of "spartan male society" do you think I'm forgetting, and why do you think Thebes is anything other than contemptible? I can discuss Thebes if people here like that city, but I had hoped to discuss the better people of Hellas rather than the very worst.

Welp, I guess we’ll continue this discussion next month, you Diogenes-denying sicko. :laffo:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Grand Fromage posted:

Entirely possible. IIRC the Spanish managed to knock over the Incas without much help from disease, which gives them access to the silver mines. I also suspect they would have been able to bring down the Aztecs, the smallpox outbreak helped but the main reason they won was they were able to put together an alliance of all the people the Aztecs had pissed off. But certainly if the Europeans couldn't make any inroads at all in the Americas, things would've been quite different.

The Spanish showed up in Inca territory right in the middle of a civil war/succession crisis and then a bunch of the nobles decide to throw their lot in with the Spaniards rather than the royalty. Also they still had to contend with a rump state of Inca that fought them tooth and nail for decades afterwards, and actually adopted European weapons.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

skasion posted:

Fun fact a lot of people don't know. Montezuma's descendants are still Spanish nobility today. The Duke of Moctezuma de Tultengo just got into a public argument with the President of Mexico last year after AMLO wrote a letter to Spain and the Vatican demanding they apologize for the Spanish conquest of Mexico.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Nessus posted:

Did they? I thought there was a lot less of a collapse but it may be more that when the population increased again after the crash, in central/south America it came from natives to a much greater extent than in north America.

De las Casas thought so. Admittedly he was a bleeding heart and protecting Indians from Spaniards was his literal job, but he was definitely concerned that between disease and exploitation they would all die — so much so that he initially advocated the importation of black slaves to replace their labor.

galagazombie posted:

Spain did not wage transatlantic wars of conquest. No Spanish army was deployed in war against any of the Indian nations until the Araucanian war, at which point the crown did not so much send an army to Chile as pay the settlers and local non-Araucanian Indians a lot of money to allow them to set up their own permanent defensive organization. The conquest of the Mexica and Inka states was carried out by private adventurers with the help of Indian allies (in the case of the Mexica, a LOT of Indian allies). These private adventurers acted in the belief that they had permission from the kings of Castile as long as they made sure to pay them part of the proceeds, which was more or less true until 1573, when Philip II banned further conquest. It’s misleading to think of the Spaniards as spreading across a whole continent denuded by disease. It is North America where European settlers didn’t start to show up in large numbers until most people were already dead, and its because they didn’t show up there for another century after the conquistadors did their thing. In Central and South America, very many Indians did die of disease, but they still enormously outnumbered the interlopers. Spaniards didn’t flock to Potosi so they could die working in mines, they flocked there so they could profit off of Indians dying working in mines.

e: source on all this is Henry Kamen’s “Spain’s Road to Empire”, which is consciously super revisionist about traditional narratives of how everything that happened in the 15th-17th centuries can be ascribed to We Brave Castilians and Our Most Christian Monarch etc.

skasion fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Jul 24, 2020

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Also I hope you all enjoyed Agesilaus' speedrun.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

turns out you do not, in fact, "gotta hand it" to sparta

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I will defend the honor of Epaminondas in 30 days

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Fly Molo posted:

lol @ all of this, just lol. Oh for sure, declaring war on your slaves every year is surely the hallmark of an Extremely High-Tier Society. Keep posting, you’re almost there. :allears:

Was that a thing? Waging war on their own slaves?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Grand Fromage posted:

Aww come on that could have gone on for a while

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Dalael posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crypteia

Possibly

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Dalael posted:

There are reports that periodically the Spartan ruling class would declare war on their helots (the slave/serfs who their society rested upon) and it was basically a free ticket for any Spartan to kill any helot for any reason.

How grounded in reality is this? How frequent were these wars in practice, how many helots did they kill? Hard to say because the Spartans did not produce much literature. Nevertheless, that's a pretty bad look. Even Athenians who thought slavery was just peachy keen and looked up to the Spartans, thought the Spartans went overboard in treating their slaves like poo poo.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Dalael posted:

Every year, Sparta would declare war against the helots. It wasn't an actual war that was fought, but it meant that legally, a Spartan citizen could kill a helot without it being considered murder.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Grand Fromage posted:

I can honestly say that I did

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Never expected to see “Theban Sympathiser” used without irony in 2020, but then this has been a year for surprises.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Beefeater1980 posted:

Never expected to see “Theban Sympathiser” used without irony in 2020, but then this has been a year for surprises.

Still not forgiving them for what they did to Antigone!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Imagine having a conversation about greatest classical Greeks and Constantinople, Alexandria, and Antioch don't even get mentioned.

oh wait you don't have to we just did

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Grand Fromage posted:

You could have let the fun go on for at least another 12 hours

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Arglebargle III posted:

Imagine having a conversation about greatest classical Greeks and Constantinople, Alexandria, and Antioch don't even get mentioned.

Or Syracuse.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Is there a good podcast revolving around the greeks pre Alexander?

I started the Hellenistic Age podcast but that seems to start way later than early greek history.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Ancient Greece Declassified

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Arglebargle III posted:

The only one of those that was a Classical Greek city was Byzantion, and it wasn''t all that important during the period, just a former Megaran colony that was controlled by Persia that made its money off the Black Sea trade. It doesn't get important until Constantine refounds it. Alexandria was established by Alexander, and Antioch by the Seleucids.

Classical Greece is basically just the Persian Wars, the Peloponesian War, and the conquest of Alexander.

If your curious, the time periods are

Homeric Greece/Dark Ages:1100 BC-800 BC
Archaic Greece: 800 BC-480 BC
Classical Greece: 480 BC-320 BC
Hellenistic Greece: 320 BC-30 BC
Roman Greece: 30 BC-either 400 AD or 1453, depending on whether you stick the Byzantine/Eastern Roman Empire in the "Ancient Greek" or "Medieval Greek" category. But the whole "Is the Byzantine Empire the same as the Roman Empire or is it distinct thing is something that goes around and around and nobody ever changes their mind.

Miss Broccoli
May 1, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
who is Agesilaus

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Epicurius posted:

The only one of those that was a Classical Greek city was Byzantion, and it wasn''t all that important during the period, just a former Megaran colony that was controlled by Persia that made its money off the Black Sea trade. It doesn't get important until Constantine refounds it. Alexandria was established by Alexander, and Antioch by the Seleucids.

Classical Greece is basically just the Persian Wars, the Peloponesian War, and the conquest of Alexander.

If your curious, the time periods are

Homeric Greece/Dark Ages:1100 BC-800 BC
Archaic Greece: 800 BC-480 BC
Classical Greece: 480 BC-320 BC
Hellenistic Greece: 320 BC-30 BC
Roman Greece: 30 BC-either 400 AD or 1453, depending on whether you stick the Byzantine/Eastern Roman Empire in the "Ancient Greek" or "Medieval Greek" category. But the whole "Is the Byzantine Empire the same as the Roman Empire or is it distinct thing is something that goes around and around and nobody ever changes their mind.

"actually the classical period lasted 160 years"

nah

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Miss Broccoli posted:

who is Agesilaus

King of Sparta

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

cheetah7071 posted:

anyways clearly the best hellenic people were the north macedonians

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

skasion posted:

Spain did not wage transatlantic wars of conquest.

That's my point. I'm saying the ability to do that just wasn't there, and without disease killing everyone those adventurers would have absolutely needed an actual army to subdue anyone. Indeed no state at that point could wage a war like that across the ocean. All of the native allies who helped the Spanish, lets use the Tlaxcala for instance, without losing their entire populations to disease would have just turned around and strengthened their own states/empires. When the Aztec Empire fell (which given how they ran things would have happened with or without the Spanish) it would have just been replaced with a Tlaxcala or similar led polity. With a population nearly nine times larger I seriously doubt the native elite would have been accepted being second fiddle to some minuscule group of conquistadores.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Miss Broccoli posted:

who is Agesilaus

Cato the Dumber

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

galagazombie posted:

With a population nearly nine times larger I seriously doubt the native elite would have been accepted being second fiddle to some minuscule group of conquistadores.
Depends what you mean by second fiddle, I could absolutely see people allying with these strange men with their wonderful weapons, riding beasts, and durable armor. Especially if you can intermarry with some of them and start trading gold ornaments and maybe crop plants for more of the weapons and beasts and armor... after a certain point you have a Spanish-native composite culture of some kind. At this point the timeline becomes unstable.