Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Murgos posted:

Yeah, my brother and I were having a argument (he's been deep into Q for years) and I was pointing out how none of the Q stuff ever actually comes true, you just have to believe it and he said something like, 'Some people think Q is actually a front by the left to distract the people from what's really going on'

What's really going on? Is it reptiloids? Molemen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

GABA ghoul posted:

Uh, 'Chinese Communist takeover that will end with 10's of millions of [white] Americans dead in concentration camps or through engineered starvation and our children trafficked into slavery' seems to be the gist of it from what I can tell.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

GABA ghoul posted:

Turns out to have been a case of broken telephone actually.

It's Repliroids and Mailmen.

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
Curious, how do the bog standard Republican Pro Israel Q-types and the outright antisemitic conspiratorial Q-types gel with each other? Outright hostility like the gulf between the fundies and the New Agers or are they more amicable?

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Turns out to have been a case of broken telephone actually.

It's Repliroids and Mailmen.

Hence the hostility to the USPS.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Dr. Killjoy posted:

Curious, how do the bog standard Republican Pro Israel Q-types and the outright antisemitic conspiratorial Q-types gel with each other? Outright hostility like the gulf between the fundies and the New Agers or are they more amicable?

lol if you get ten Q believers in a room and ask you will get 11 different explanations of Q

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

"Q is a longstanding military operation to drain the deep state swamp that recruited Trump to run for president" and "Q is a global movement portending a fundamental shift in human consciousness" are the two main ones right now and there is an increasing amount of overlap. It's always been prophecy and apocalypticism but that stuff has really bubbled up to the surface over the past year.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/travis_view/status/1160934182211555330?s=21

logical thinking lol

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

extremely patriotic American word 'institutionalised'

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lol Q is a prophylactic against vigilantism while also being a direct cause of vigilantism

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

bird with big dick posted:

Lol Q is a prophylactic against vigilantism while also being a direct cause of vigilantism

Vigilante activity is when other (brown) people do it.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

bird with big dick posted:

its patriotism when "conservatives" do it

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

The Chairman posted:

There’s a guy named Vincent Fusca who a bunch of qanons claim is actually a disguised JFK Jr. who’s going to revel his true identity any day now (and possibly even be Trump’s VP after Pence is forced out), and I don’t think he’s ever outright affirmed it but he’s winkingly responded to questions about it and frequently shows up at a lot of Trump rallies and Qanon events to mingle and get treated like a celebrity

he literally goes around trump events selling merch and slaying granny slash

man gets so much pussy

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
Can't wait until the press heaps unending praise of 2024 GOP nominee Tom Cotton/Nikki Haley for being oh so serious and disavowing that JFK Jr faked his death to come back as Donald Trump's running mate.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

So who the gently caress is(/was) Q?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Bucky Fullminster posted:

A time-traveling agent sent by God to save the republic from a cabal of pedophiles and cannibals, haven't you been paying attention

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

To be fair I don't think I've heard the time travelling bit.

But come on you know what I mean.

I might have to watch The Big Hack again, but it feels very much like the same forces behind the russian hack, cambridge analytica, bot farms, social media exploitation. Generally sowing chaos.

It's hard to say what the intentions of the first few drops were, but surely they could never have imagined it would be so successful.

Unless of course it's just a clever extension of the trump campaign's social media marketing department or whatever.

Basically I've seen a lot of discussion about the theories and the community, but little to no discussion about what's actually behind it. Would love some links if anyones got some.

Fascinating watching it morph lately though, now we're literally talking about solar flares and galactic ascension.

I wonder how much longer trump will stay in it.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

To be fair I don't think I've heard the time travelling bit.

Basically there was this guy who thought (Or just said he did for the grift. It's impossible to tell these days) Q was actually himself from 50 years in the future sending messages for him personally to take down the Deep State. He was eventually kicked out of the movement after a schism

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
No one can agree but I think the largest portion believe Q is Trump because with his revolving door of staff it's basically impossible anyone was with him since the beginning anymore.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

I don’t care about time travel or who they think it is!

I want to know who it actually is

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/united-states-of-conspiracy/

Frontline on PBS is going to have a documentary on conspiracy theories air on the 28th, I assume this will cover Q. Lots of Alex Jones though.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

I don’t care about time travel or who they think it is!

I want to know who it actually is

I misunderstood, surprisingly I dont think it's ever been revealed. It's honestly, likely, multiple people between the change from 4chan to 8chan and that tripcodes can be spoofed, and a noticeable shift in writing style, it's probably not the same person.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

VitalSigns posted:

A time-traveling agent sent by God to save the republic from a cabal of pedophiles and cannibals, haven't you been paying attention

So like a less cool John Titor

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

I misunderstood, surprisingly I dont think it's ever been revealed. It's honestly, likely, multiple people between the change from 4chan to 8chan and that tripcodes can be spoofed, and a noticeable shift in writing style, it's probably not the same person.

I know it’s never been revealed, but has it ever been seriously analysed though? Has anyone had a proper look at the posts and pieced together the language and characters and themes? I know it’s almost certainly changed but the question remains.

I bet it’s loving Bannon. Not literally and directly, but behind the scenes

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

I know it’s never been revealed, but has it ever been seriously analysed though? Has anyone had a proper look at the posts and pieced together the language and characters and themes? I know it’s almost certainly changed but the question remains.

At least on of the Qs was a reddit moderator. They were stupid enough to post as Q live on twitch

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Is there any evidence at this point that Q is not just an rando from the internet?

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

At least on of the Qs was a reddit moderator. They were stupid enough to post as Q live on twitch

That makes sense. That could still be anyone though. Got a link?

RatHat posted:

Is there any evidence at this point that Q is not just an rando from the internet?

The agenda feels very pointed and specific. And the results are pretty extraordinary, especially considering they’ve done it all with Trump of all people at the centre. Like enough to suspect there is some kind of science to the strategy behind it. But otherwise no, I don’t think so

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

RatHat posted:

I absolutely believe it started that way, but it seems pretty certain the 8chan owner is steering this ship to whatever ends now.

That makes sense. That could still be anyone though. Got a link?

Nah sorry. That was literal years ago now, so it might as well be from century ago

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

RatHat posted:

Which Q?

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

I absolutely believe it started that way, but it seems pretty certain the 8chan owner is steering this ship to whatever ends now.

Nah sorry. That was literal years ago now, so it might as well be from century ago

I assume you're referring to this article so yes, a couple of years and many Q's ago: https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/how-three-conspiracy-theorists-took-q-sparked-qanon-n900531

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

jojoinnit posted:

I assume you're referring to this article so yes, a couple of years and many Q's ago: https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-news/how-three-conspiracy-theorists-took-q-sparked-qanon-n900531

Yes, thank you. lmao Rogers caught multiple times live on stream and the people who see conspiracies everywhere don't blink an eye

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Naw man you're absolutely the first. Like what do you want? You get mad at the crazy conjecture and when given the honest answer, are then mad people aren't making the crazy conjecture you want.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jul 24, 2020

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

The agenda feels very pointed and specific. And the results are pretty extraordinary, especially considering they’ve done it all with Trump of all people at the centre. Like enough to suspect there is some kind of science to the strategy behind it. But otherwise no, I don’t think so

Paradoxically the fact that it has worked out the way it has makes me think it started as some random person deciding to have fun messing with MAGA idiots on /pol/ and then it started living a life of its own. If this was actually a Bannon thing or a Russian psyop it would be orders of magnitude more powerful than anything they have ever actually done.

The reason it's become so big is exactly because it has had enough blank between the lines for qultists to colour in, instead of a synthetic nefarious message or purpose.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Sulphagnist posted:

Paradoxically the fact that it has worked out the way it has makes me think it started as some random person deciding to have fun messing with MAGA idiots on /pol/ and then it started living a life of its own. If this was actually a Bannon thing or a Russian psyop it would be orders of magnitude more powerful than anything they have ever actually done.

The reason it's become so big is exactly because it has had enough blank between the lines for qultists to colour in.

I think this is totally wrong tbh. The GOP has lost control of their base. They’ve spent years destroying the credibility of evidence, logic and expertise. Nobody in the GOP proper wanted Trump and they definitely don’t want Q. It’s like Trump, nearly too stupid and illogical for words. If they tried to create a psyop like this it would be to slick and logical. Q followers practically revel in how contradictory and faith requiring it is; like most cults/religions.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

That's fair, I meant powerful in terms of having any sort of influence on anything, versus actually doing what the originator wants. It's like, it's a tiger that is eating everybody's faces, and I am saying Russia or Bannon et al. do not deserve enough credit to think they created and unleashed the tiger to eat someone else's face, only for it to backfire. Someone created the tiger as a bit.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Wasn't it already shown that it was just some right wing youtube dude who secretly started it so he could popularize his own channel/merch as a q analyst? He even had a livestream and accidentally showed himself being logged in to the Q account on whatever chan it started on. Not like it mattered by then anyway.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

I mean there's been at least three distinct phases - the first posts on 4chan and 8chan were just teasers of someone claiming to be close to Trump, they ended when someone worked out their tripcode. The middle phase started with the cryptic Clancy-speak and took over the mantle of Pizzagate once it started getting shooty - the guys doing that phase outed themselves, IIRC. The long tail of the third phase is *probably* just the guy who owns 8chan/8kun who is using it to keep driving boomer traffic to his site. Of course by the middle of the second phase it had broken out of the chan-verse and was sustaining (and being sustained by) a whole ecosystem of grifters, mental illness, and assorted true believers.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

I could just see it.

“Dad, can you make sure to misspell the word ‘west’ as ‘qest’ in a Tweet? It’s for my internet thing”

“Barron, everyone knows I am...the best speller. The greatest. Some say my spelling is...just so much better than anyone else’s.”

“Dad, I don’t give a gently caress. Do it or I leak more pictures of you and Ivanka making out on the parrot statue.”

“drat you Barron. You remind me so much...of me.”

EDIT: gently caress, Steve Bannon and Barron Trump are two separate people...or are they? :tinfoil:

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

RagnarokAngel posted:

Naw man you're absolutely the first. Like what do you want? You get mad at the crazy conjecture and when given the honest answer, are then mad people aren't making the crazy conjecture you want.

I’m not mad, sorry, it just wasn’t the question I was asking

I obviously don’t think I’m the first but I just haven’t seen much about it. That great big article in the Atlantic didn’t really discuss it, I scrolled through the QAA podcast feed and couldn’t see much, so I’m asking here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think the best way to look at it is the way to look at most big social events, they aren't the product of a plan, they're the product of a massive amount of latent potential built up in society, which then discharges through specific outlets. As others have noted, the right wing is, well, crazy. They believe insane nonsense because their politics is predicated on it and their leaders encourage it. This is just another piece of insane nonsense that basically went viral with them.

It doesn't have to have a plan behind it or be anything special any more than any other viral thing does, it just has to click with enough people, and if you're already hopped up on satanic panic big gubbermint conspiracy rich liberals are the embodiment of evil judgement day is coming, kind of thinking, then this clicks.