Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
Got an email saying my spray from Amazon will be here tomorrow, not in August, maybe that is why it is out of stock now?

Also, you only need to wear a mask when going to the store (unless it is outside or you don't think it will be too crowded) then go on living your life like normal. Can't stay out of a restaurant for 2 weeks, even though I have 8 grills, smokers, and other do dahs!
-Pure strain boomer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Duck and Cover posted:

EXCUSE me I'm an internet expert and have heard valves bad. So valves are bad and I preach that even without any studies to back myself up. Also masks don't work. Masks are super hard to properly fit and well beyond the abilities of people.

You’re an idiot.

“Maybe this thing designed to let air out of the mask unimpeded is somehow actually filtering out the virus!”

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jul 24, 2020

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

“There’s no study that says breathing through an open paper towel tube doesn’t stop the virus so maybe it does!” - Duck and Cover, a very smart person

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

unpacked robinhood posted:

Any pointers for KN95 masks in europe ? Amazon is a deluge of bullshit.

When you search n95 or kn95 filters on amazon or other stores, you get endless pages of pm2.5 filters.
Not a single real n95, and pm2.5 isn't small enough.
I don't know how much these filters would help in a reusable mask.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Illuminti posted:

I'm flattered by the attention from such a storied and hilarious poster such as yourself though

It’s time you learned that there’s a good kind of attention, like you get for sucking off everyone at a truck stop, and a bad kind of attention, like you get for sucking off everyone at a morgue.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
From said document:

quote:

a person who is exhibiting symptoms of illness should not wear a valved respirator, because exhaled particles may leave the respirator via the valve and enter the surrounding environment, potentially exposing other people.

quote:

it is not recommended that a person who is exhibiting symptoms of illness wear a valved respirator, because there is a possibility that exhaled particles may leave the respirator via the valve opening and enter the surrounding environment, potentially spreading the disease.
They clearly say "don't do it", and then only follow up with "we don't have proof yet tho".

Also, frankly, the sarcastic "masks are hard to fit :jerkbag:" thing pisses me off.

Yes, they actually are hard to fit. Getting a N95 to fully seal well is a bunch of work as opposed to premium FFP3 rubber seal masks or rubber respirators.

Is this an issue for a super market trip? No.

Is this an issue for a 8-12 hour shift in a hospital or an ambulance where over the course of the shift the mask has hundreds of chances to unseat or leak? Yes.

Also, a lot of medical personnel actually do wear multiple layers of mask and adhesive tape etc. to get proper protection.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Hopper posted:

My company has multiple offices in the US and Europe. While there are things that are not ideal in terms of company politics etc. I am glad my CEO doesn't gently caress around when it comes to Covid. We were mandatory WFH worldwide from April, he holds biweekly status briefings for all employees, straight up said back in May we never have to return to an office and can WFH forever, and formed a research group to find out how offices can even work right now and in the future. They then opened 3 offices as trial runs on a voluntary basis. But when people in the Houston office said they were feeling unsafe in their state due to the surge in Texas he immediately shut the office down again no questions asked.

I guess what I am saying is not all companies are dumb about Covid, there is still hope.

I really wish my company was like yours and actually cared about keeping their employees safe. :smith:

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

mrfart posted:

When you search n95 or kn95 filters on amazon or other stores, you get endless pages of pm2.5 filters.
Not a single real n95, and pm2.5 isn't small enough.
I don't know how much these filters would help in a reusable mask.

Oh, and if you do find filters or a reusable mask that's n95/ffp2 they always have valves. So, I have to glue them shut like somebody here proposed?
But people will still think you're a valve prick.
Although almost nobody knows about this, and since they're the only ones available, I'm certain they will become the norm rather fast now that they're mandatory almost everywhere.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I really wish my company was like yours and actually cared about keeping their employees safe. :smith:

:yossame:

I got a grand total of about 5 weeks of WFH every other day, we've been back in the office 100% of the time since May :(

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

mrfart posted:

Oh, and if you do find filters or a reusable mask that's n95/ffp2 they always have valves. So, I have to glue them shut like somebody here proposed?
But people will still think you're a valve prick.
Although almost nobody knows about this, and since they're the only ones available, I'm certain they will become the norm rather fast now that they're mandatory almost everywhere.
Just wear a cloth mask on top.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 24, 2020

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Iron Crowned posted:

I got a grand total of about 5 weeks of WFH every other day, we've been back in the office 100% of the time since May :(

My company has no official policy and about a month ago they announced a major project is underway that's forcing people to go back into the office and, in fact, to travel to multiple locations to complete the project.

We are a worldwide company and on a recent conference call some bigwig said she thought "We're almost through the virus so I'm excited to see all of you back in the office"

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Dogs Can Sniff Out Coronavirus Infections, German Study Shows

quote:

Dogs with a few days of training are capable of identifying people infected with the coronavirus, according to a study by a German veterinary university.

Eight dogs from Germany’s armed forces were trained for only a week and were able to accurately identify the virus with a 94% success rate, according to a pilot project led by the University of Veterinary Medicine Hannover. Researchers challenged the dogs to sniff out Covid-19 in the saliva of more than 1,000 healthy and infected people.

“We think that this works because the metabolic processes in the body of a diseased patient are completely changed,” Maren von Koeckritz-Blickwede, a professor at the university, said in a YouTube video about the project. “We think that the dogs are able to detect a specific smell.”

Dogs, which have a sense of smell around 1,000 times more sensitive than humans, could be deployed to detect infections at places such as airports, border crossings and sporting events with the proper training, according to the researchers. The study was conducted jointly with the German armed forces, the Hannover Medical School and the University Medical Center Hamburg-Eppendorf.

Von Koeckritz-Blickwede said that the next step will be to train dogs to differentiate Covid samples from other diseases like influenza.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

A Fancy Hat posted:

My company has no official policy and about a month ago they announced a major project is underway that's forcing people to go back into the office and, in fact, to travel to multiple locations to complete the project.

We are a worldwide company and on a recent conference call some bigwig said she thought "We're almost through the virus so I'm excited to see all of you back in the office"

Send this image to all@company.com from a throwaway email address.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Booo this dog!

jet sanchEz
Oct 24, 2001

Lousy Manipulative Dog
I am in Canada and I tortured myself by watching the first couple of minutes of trump talking yesterday and is anyone else using the term "China virus "?

It seems even too racist for his bootlickers like Graham or Crenshaw....

Or am I being naive?

chupacabron
Oct 30, 2004

jet sanchEz posted:

I am in Canada and I tortured myself by watching the first couple of minutes of trump talking yesterday and is anyone else using the term "China virus "?

It seems even too racist for his bootlickers like Graham or Crenshaw....

Or am I being naive?

No it's just him and his. See also Kung Flu. A big part of his strategy thus far has been to blame China to try to redirect the ire of folks that are affected.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Iron Crowned posted:

That's way worse than my situation and I'd probably looked into a new job in your shoes. At least my dumb company had its offices closed from April to mid-June and I'm not in the office every single day.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I’m sad trump canx the convention. All those people deprived of their right to die from a hoax.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Day #147 for me now. Shortness of breath has returned as has the tickly throat, cough, body fatigue and fever, and I'm on my 8th or 9th course of antibiotics and 3rd fourteen day lockdown.

If this is a hoax, then I must be a really loving dedicated method actor.

WHERE'S MY loving CHEQUE, SOROS!?!?!....

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

We found out yesterday that we would be back to work with a whole bunch if rules put in place as well as a plan to shift from in person to mixed in person/ online to full online. It sounded okay and the NS Liberal government has done a really good job so far, however I listened to a segment on CBC today with two experts and they said there are major issues with it and we would almost certainly be going back to online.

^^^ Ugh :( I hope you can rest up and feel better

schmug
May 20, 2007

fuctifino posted:

Day #147 for me now. Shortness of breath has returned as has the tickly throat, cough, body fatigue and fever, and I'm on my 8th or 9th course of antibiotics and 3rd fourteen day lockdown.

edit: sorry that was rude. crass humor helps me cope.

hope you feel better.

schmug fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jul 24, 2020

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

i'd rather you give me coronavirus through the eyes then ever have to see this stupid burt sexual term again

it's cancel, the word is cancel

snake and bake
Feb 23, 2005

:theroni:

The Scientist posted:

I am having symptoms and found out literally yesterday that my lease won't be renewed and I will have to move out on Friday and have no idea what to do. I was told by a dr that I am presumed-positive so I wonder how I am supposed to handle moving my stuff into a storage unit without becoming a superspreader.

I would be like "hey since you gave me 4 days notice, you're gonna have to evict me" but I'm worried that I won't be able to rent a new appt if that's on my record. Pretty sure that there is no ban on evictions in my southern hellhole state (SC).

Disclaimer: I've worked in property management, but not in your state. Review your Landlord-Tenant Act.

Do you have a current written lease? If so, from what I can tell, in SC the landlord does not have to provide any notice for non-renewal of the lease. You could ask them if you can continue to remain on a month-to-month basis for at least 1 more month.

If you do NOT have a written lease, or it's not current, it looks like the landlord would be required to offer you 7 days notice for week-to-week tenancy or 30 days for month-to-month.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

fuctifino posted:

drat dude, sorry to hear that. You've been testing positive during each isolation period?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fuctifino posted:

Hmm I’m starting to think this ain’t just the flu.

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

fuctifino posted:

Fuuuuck I'm sorry you're going through this.

My wife is on day 120-ish of the roni and has found that taking ibuprofen and pepcid AC (famotodine) morning and night, and Benadryl at night, helps control the inflammation which makes the shortness of breath and fatigue symptoms lessen significantly.

Just mentioning that in case you wanna give it a shot.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
Harvey Weinstein and Mel Gibson both survived covid

could i hate this virus anymore?

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

zer0spunk posted:

Harvey Weinstein and Mel Gibson both survived covid

could i hate this virus anymore?

Bolsonaro and Trump seem to be loving immune to it, too.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
Graduated college. Hours got cut at work and now my power steering on my truck broke.

2020 sucks rear end. I can't wait till covid is over.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Schadenboner posted:

Bolsonaro and Trump seem to be loving immune to it, too.

be a piece of poo poo = you'll be fine

be a grandma who bakes cookies = VIRUS SMITE THEE

2020 is the worst

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Thanks for the love. I haven't had a test, as they weren't available when I went through the first viral stage in March, and as I'd need to have someone administer the test, I'd have to go out or risk someone coming into my plague pit to do the swabbing now. From the symptoms and journey I've had since Feb 28th, it's 100% Covid, and follows the same pattern as others who can't shake the illness. There isn't much to be gleaned from having a test at the moment according to my GP. I will have an antibody blood test after my current 14 day quarantine though.

schmug posted:

edit: sorry that was rude. crass humor helps me cope.

Don't you ever apologise for crass humour. It's what helps me cope too. I also missed your joke.

smoobles posted:

Fuuuuck I'm sorry you're going through this.

My wife is on day 120-ish of the roni and has found that taking ibuprofen and pepcid AC (famotodine) morning and night, and Benadryl at night, helps control the inflammation which makes the shortness of breath and fatigue symptoms lessen significantly.

Just mentioning that in case you wanna give it a shot.

The pepcid AC is something I hadn't considered. I'm already chugging loads of chesty cough medicine.

Sorry to hear your wife is on a long journey through this too :( I hope things improve for her soon.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

fuctifino posted:

Thanks for the love. I haven't had a test, as they weren't available when I went through the first viral stage in March, and as I'd need to have someone administer the test, I'd have to go out or risk someone coming into my plague pit to do the swabbing now. From the symptoms and journey I've had since Feb 28th, it's 100% Covid, and follows the same pattern as others who can't shake the illness. There isn't much to be gleaned from having a test at the moment according to my GP. I will have an antibody blood test after my current 14 day quarantine though.

Ah ok. If money is an issue, make sure you ask how much the antibody test will be, since I don't think those are required to be free like the PCR tests.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

fuctifino posted:

Don't you ever apologise for crass humour. It's what helps me cope too. I also missed your joke.

The pepcid AC is something I hadn't considered. I'm already chugging loads of chesty cough medicine.

Sorry to hear your wife is on a long journey through this too :( I hope things improve for her soon.

If you didn’t die from the fever on day one you would have died from blood loss on day 2 as you poo poo out your liquified internal organs.

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

zer0spunk posted:

2020 is the worst

Not sure what this says about Boris Johnson.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Holy poo poo fuctifino that's a name I haven't seen in a while. Sorry to hear that dude.

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Any pointers for KN95 masks in europe ? Amazon is a deluge of bullshit.

AFAIK ffp2 is more or less the same, and I ordered mine from a normal online pharmacy in Germany without any problems. Maybe look for that, appearantly n95 is an American standard while ffp2 (and 3) is more common in Europe.

Michael Corleone
Mar 30, 2011

by VideoGames
https://www.amazon.com/Disposable-F...PXR524T9M0CBVM1

These are legit. Just got my two packs in the mail today, they come in sealed 25 count packages and have paperwork to prove they are legit. Mine were supposed to be here in September too, but came today out of no where, I paid 7 bux for them, so you guys are really getting a steal!

e; placed my order on July 8th, they came today.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zer0spunk posted:

2020 is the worst

Typically more old people die than young people on average.

LemonLimeTime
May 30, 2011

I don't have low self-esteem. I have low esteem for everyone else.
So I have a bunch of N95 masks (from my dad, he works in construction and had some left over), but I'm now hearing it's not good to wear them because the CO2 you exhale from the filter breathes your air out to everyone else? Basically, it protects you and no one else if you're sick and wearing an N95, they're saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Exhaust valves shouldn't be used don't be loving dense

bird with big dick posted:

You’re an idiot.

“Maybe this thing designed to let air out of the mask unimpeded is somehow actually filtering out the virus!”

Hi Duck and Cover here super smart person capable of critical thought. What about high risk people? Should they be more concerned about themselves or is that still selfish? What if you live with your family? What if you've been quarantining without contact 2 weeks? See that's the thing, the risk assessment requires more information that you don't have. Valve bad, is a good message, UR SELFISH IF U HAVE THE NERVE TO USE A RESPIRATOR, however isn't and makes you an rear end in a top hat. What I want is how bad not having the valve is. That kind of information is always hard to find though (gently caress I can't even find how bad using snow tires in the winter is). Also yeah gently caress you of course I'm selfish my life and my families is more important to me then others. That's what ordering poo poo on instacart is, you're letting someone else take your risk. (yes I know less people out and about and having a person take risks of multiple groups should lessen spread so it's a net good)

Mithaldu posted:

From said document:

They clearly say "don't do it", and then only follow up with "we don't have proof yet tho".

Also, frankly, the sarcastic "masks are hard to fit :jerkbag:" thing pisses me off.

Yes, they actually are hard to fit. Getting a N95 to fully seal well is a bunch of work as opposed to premium FFP3 rubber seal masks or rubber respirators.

Is this an issue for a super market trip? No.

Is this an issue for a 8-12 hour shift in a hospital or an ambulance where over the course of the shift the mask has hundreds of chances to unseat or leak? Yes.

Also, a lot of medical personnel actually do wear multiple layers of mask and adhesive tape etc. to get proper protection.

Sure telling people a good fit is hard to accomplish and does require shaving is good. Acting like it's beyond the capabilities of the average person while very possibly accurate is insulting and people pick up on that poo poo. Oh and the people who had equated not having a perfect seal to being useless, those folks can gently caress right off. Teaching them how to fit a mask is better.

Duck and Cover fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jul 24, 2020