Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried
Pebble Beach when the boomers die. rip

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Memento posted:

Just sold for $250k on Bring A Trailer, with 8k miles on the clock

Kind of sad that car will likely never see more than a couple more miles in it's life. It'll change hands every few years for increasingly stupid amounts of money. For 250k there's a lot of other cars I'd buy to drive and appreciate...like a M1 Procar :getin:

As angryrobots said the E30 M3 needs a track or mountain road to be appreciated, the S14 is not a good daily driver engine as it comes from the factory.

If someone wants a E30 M3 to put some miles on my friend is selling this S54 swapped car - https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1988-bmw-m3-101/

NitroSpazzz fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jul 23, 2020

Teach
Mar 28, 2008

Pillbug

um excuse me posted:

Is the car a $250k experience or is it in the grasp of a collector at this point? I'd assume the latter, but I've never driven one so I can't say for sure. $250k can buy a shitload of car bliss, it would be a hard argument to the former.

It's a collector, for sure. The value is in the low mileage - as soon as you drive it, the value drops. If you want one to drive, you don't need to spend that much.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

BigPaddy posted:

The cars as investments people are the worst but it smacks of Tulips where one day the only people turning up to auctions will be sellers as the bubble will have burst.

I donno. Rich people will always exist. The first Shelby GT350 just sold for something like 3.2 million, making it the most expensive Mustang ever.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Didn't BMW take used E30 M3 blocks for their F1 program?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
No, was the earlier M10 blocks, to which the S14 is itself related.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

BigPaddy posted:

The cars as investments people are the worst but it smacks of Tulips where one day the only people turning up to auctions will be sellers as the bubble will have burst.

There's no capital gains tax to pay on used cars. It's the same market as art. You could look at it like a very long game of hot potato, where eventually nobody will want what you're left holding for the price you paid for it, but in the mean time rich people will see a $250k investment that could earn them 20% tax free if they can sell it for $300k in a year or two.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Art has the added benefit of being able to be donated and taking the value of the piece as a tax write off. What happens is someone will buy a piece and then have it "valued" at some stupid price then donate it to a gallery and take the tax break. Doing that with cars is likely hard since there is a more limited number of them and less places to donate to.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Rich people ruin everything.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Dr.Smasher posted:

I donno. Rich people will always exist.

This really, one of my coworkers friends made it big in tech. He's only in his mid 30s but he's already built up an impressive collection including, related, an E30 M3.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

MrOnBicycle posted:

Rich people ruin everything.

Agreed.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I mean the rich are the dummos who eat the initial depreciation of new cars, leaving just the actual value of the car for the rest of us. Can't live with em, can't live without em.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

um excuse me posted:

I mean the rich are the dummos who eat the initial depreciation of new cars, leaving just the actual value of the car for the rest of us. Can't live with em, can't live without em.

Nah those people are just people who think they're rich. Happy for them to keep financing new cars though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

InitialDave posted:

So it's a Desert Eagle then?

:golfclap:

Steve French posted:

Outside the local shop I brought the RS4 to today. They apparently also had a twin turbo R8 V10 in for a clutch job. I wonder why.

I love the license plate.

Blacknose posted:

Pebble Beach when the boomers die. rip

Because I'm a huge nerd, the phrasing of this *immediately* brought to mind "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra" (from Star Trek: The Next Generation, for non-nerds.)

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Finger Prince posted:

There's no capital gains tax to pay on used cars. It's the same market as art. You could look at it like a very long game of hot potato, where eventually nobody will want what you're left holding for the price you paid for it, but in the mean time rich people will see a $250k investment that could earn them 20% tax free if they can sell it for $300k in a year or two.

This couldn’t be more wrong. Classic cars (and art) are subject to capital gain taxes.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

TheMadMilkman posted:

This couldn’t be more wrong. Classic cars (and art) are subject to capital gain taxes.

Huh, well poo poo! There must be some tax advantage to doing it. Maybe some fiddle with listed personal property. I mean maaaaybe it's all on the up-and-up, but that would have to be a historical first.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

My understanding is that if you use the profits from the sale to buy another vehicle, it's tax exempt.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Darchangel posted:

Because I'm a huge nerd, the phrasing of this *immediately* brought to mind "Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra" (from Star Trek: The Next Generation, for non-nerds.)
Shaka, when the value of the portfolio fell.

Blacknose
Jul 28, 2006

Meet frustration face to face
A point of view creates more waves
So lose some sleep and say you tried

Darchangel posted:

I'm glad someone appreciated it.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

InitialDave posted:

So it's a Desert Eagle then?
:perfect:

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Darchangel posted:

GET OUT OF MY HEAD

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

InitialDave posted:

Shaka, when the value of the portfolio fell.

Datsun and Jeep, at Barret Jackson.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

wesleywillis posted:

Goatse, his sphincter wide.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

McTinkerson posted:

My understanding is that if you use the profits from the sale to buy another vehicle, it's tax exempt.

Was tax exempt. Apparently Trump’s tax bill removed like-kind exchanges for anything other than real property.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

wesleywillis posted:

I appreciate these.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Leno, in his Garage.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Can an entire forums thread count as awesome?

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=1601182

The intro summarizes it quite well: "Original IMS, original engine, original gearbox.

Built for commuting across Europe and the top end of Africa at speed it can carry 96L of fuel, generate it's own 240V mains supply, has three GPS receivers and one GLONASS receiver, a sat phone, telemetry, remote diagnostics, it's own specific lightweight Facom tool kit & spares package, 48hour emergency food and water, holds 10L of engine oil, can wade 0.5M of water, has BS5051 spec seal sealing tyres along with TPMS, a lot of underbody protection and a Tomtom!

It can also give quite a reasonable account of itself around a circuit and is capable of over 420 miles range at a 125mph cruise."

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

McTinkerson posted:

Can an entire forums thread count as awesome?

https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=1601182

The intro summarizes it quite well: "Original IMS, original engine, original gearbox.

Built for commuting across Europe and the top end of Africa at speed it can carry 96L of fuel, generate it's own 240V mains supply, has three GPS receivers and one GLONASS receiver, a sat phone, telemetry, remote diagnostics, it's own specific lightweight Facom tool kit & spares package, 48hour emergency food and water, holds 10L of engine oil, can wade 0.5M of water, has BS5051 spec seal sealing tyres along with TPMS, a lot of underbody protection and a Tomtom!

It can also give quite a reasonable account of itself around a circuit and is capable of over 420 miles range at a 125mph cruise."

Retired smuggling vehicle, neat. Imagine how built (and stealthy) the current car must be!

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm not sure this is better than the guy who replaced his Volvo 240's door open chime with a midi version of Toto's Africa, however....

https://twitter.com/therealKzero/status/1286418122585628673?s=19

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm not sure this is better than the guy who replaced his Volvo 240's door open chime with a midi version of Toto's Africa, however....

https://twitter.com/therealKzero/status/1286418122585628673?s=19

:perfect:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

boxen posted:

GET OUT OF MY HEAD

No.
And I love the in kind follow-ups.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Diesel, his Charger totalled.

Hamster, in the rocket.

Clarkson, his supper late.

May, in no particular rush.

Ford and Ferrari, at LeMans.

Lamborghini, his tractor scorned.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

This guy makes beautiful little (cute!) scale models of cars.

https://twitter.com/nekoworks01/status/973468117702557696?s=19

https://twitter.com/nekoworks01/status/1281491707528241153?s=19

They're tiny
https://twitter.com/nekoworks01/status/1286804355127996417?s=19

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

A cool video about the development and deployment of the Kharkovchanka Antarctic exploration vehicles, very awesome car poo poo IMO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6R-h06IsJw

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Pile Of Garbage posted:

A cool video about the development and deployment of the Kharkovchanka Antarctic exploration vehicles, very awesome car poo poo IMO:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6R-h06IsJw
Reminds me of a badass early antarctic expedition vehicle attempt https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antarctic_Snow_Cruiser
Sadly this giant was lost to the icebergs

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Anyone got a few hundred grand burning a hole in their pocket?

McRae MG Metro Group B rally car goes to auction in Tasmania

quote:

A 1985 MG Metro 6R4 Group B rally car driven by Jimmy McRae – father of legendary rally driver Colin McRae – has surfaced at an auction house in Tasmania.
Originally built as a demonstration vehicle for media events, the Rothmans MG Metro 6R4 is an icon of 1980s Group B rallying, complete with its mid-mounted V6 engine fitted behind the front seats, and powering all four wheels.

Developed by the Williams F1 team, the MG Metro 6R4 was unique in Group B in that it used a non-turbo V6 putting out around 300kW, rather than using turbochargers as favoured by competitors such as Audi and Lancia.

Group B is one of the most notorious eras of motorsports due to the high number of fatalities, largely owing to regulations that encouraged some of the fastest and most powerful rally cars ever seen.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

I have had a ride in a 205 T16 and can confirm any Group B car is worth the money for pure adrenaline production.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BigPaddy posted:

I have had a ride in a 205 T16 and can confirm any Group B car is worth the money for pure adrenaline production.

I am so loving jealous of you right now.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

If something went wrong this would go in the the bad thread.

https://i.imgur.com/5QyOUlP.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Thought the guy was going into the building. I'm sure he "meant" to get close enough to curb it.