Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Android Apocalypse posted:

I thought The Simpsons Movie was good, but then again apparently it got a lot of the old writers back to help with it. Felt like a good long episode.

It's about as good as you could expect a Simpsons movie made in 2007 to be, but it sounds like they focus tested it to hell and back and cut out a ton of material. At least we got to see Bart's dick and balls?

Edit: :flaccid::regd13: :69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The Simpsons Movie was a worthy end to the series.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It really, really should have brought back Hank Scorpio.
:hmmyes: if there was ever a time to bust out the hardcore fanservice it was then, and they blew it.

Cacator posted:

It's about as good as you could expect a Simpsons movie made in 2007 to be, but it sounds like they focus tested it to hell and back and cut out a ton of material.
See: removing Rainer Wolfcastle because some mouthbreathers in marketing couldn't tell a Schwarzenegger parody from Schwarzenegger.

---

Also while it might have been appropriate to the legacy the show had in 2007, the Ian Maxtone-Graham stuff like that loving "Rock and a Hard Place" joke still sucks walnuts.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Homer flipping the bird while sinking into quicksand is probably the only lasting legacy of the Simpson’s movie
But this whole conversation should be in the bad simpsons thread

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I bought a reusable Squishie cup from 7-11 and the picture on it wore away completely within a month. I hand washed it and everything

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Don't you mean "dollars in dues"???

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Who What Now posted:

I believe it was a voting accident

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Lol

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Very good

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Ghost Leviathan posted:

That needs a Jojo joke

Though that'll probably open the bloodgates for Jojokes for pages

JoJo, you say?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The combinatory value of this show is simply inexhaustible

Sheen Sheen
Nov 18, 2002

mind the walrus posted:

See: removing Rainer Wolfcastle because some mouthbreathers in marketing couldn't tell a Schwarzenegger parody from Schwarzenegger.

Apparently a whole bunch of secondary characters got cut too, because the studio panicked that people who had never watched The Simpsons before might not know who characters like Mr. Burns (who says all of five words in the entire movie) are without some sort of lengthy introduction, also why Russ Cargill was Russ Cargill and not Hank Scorpio in spite of being the exact same character with the exact same voice actor

“We need the movie to appeal to people who have been living in a sealed bunker since 1988 or it will be a failure”

Now I’m imagining Mr. Burns from the Mulder and Scully episode after his rejuvenation treatment, wandering into a movie theater without having any control over his faculties or any idea what’s going on around him, and Fox saying “yes, this is our target audience”

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It really, really should have brought back Hank Scorpio.

They did they just gave him a dumb name because I guess they though their fans were too stupid.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

RandomFerret posted:

I pity anybody who didn't watch Young Einstein when it came out

I also pity anybody that tries to watch it now

This is accurate. I loved Young Einstein as a kid, but I don't think I'd feel that way now.

Well, maybe. I wonder if I can find it somewhere...

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Sheen Sheen posted:

Now I’m imagining Mr. Burns from the Mulder and Scully episode after his rejuvenation treatment, wandering into a movie theater without having any control over his faculties or any idea what’s going on around him, and Fox saying “yes, this is our target audience”

Ahhhh, it tests well with Mr Burns.

Kill it! Kill it!

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

My main memory of the simpsons movie was stopping at the world's busiest mcdonalds beforehand, where some lady pulled me to one side and asked if i wanted free burgers as part of their menu development. We were running late anyway so that would skip the queue as well as save cash so it sounded great. I ate the 2 quarterpounders - one completely soaked in aioli and one mostly comprised of ... i want to say... ranch?, randomly checked off a list of my opinions, and ran to the cinema where i proceeded to stink out the place with some sensationally volatile garlicky farts.

picture unrelated.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen

pitch a fitness posted:

My main memory of the simpsons movie was stopping at the world's busiest mcdonalds beforehand, where some lady pulled me to one side and asked if i wanted free burgers as part of their menu development. We were running late anyway so that would skip the queue as well as save cash so it sounded great. I ate the 2 quarterpounders - one completely soaked in aioli and one mostly comprised of ... i want to say... ranch?, randomly checked off a list of my opinions, and ran to the cinema where i proceeded to stink out the place with some sensationally volatile garlicky farts.

picture unrelated.

Unrelated but :holymoley: what a post/avatar combo.

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

pitch a fitness posted:

picture unrelated.

Long live James Joyce posting

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Sheen Sheen posted:

Apparently a whole bunch of secondary characters got cut too, because the studio panicked that people who had never watched The Simpsons before might not know who characters like Mr. Burns (who says all of five words in the entire movie) are without some sort of lengthy introduction, also why Russ Cargill was Russ Cargill and not Hank Scorpio in spite of being the exact same character with the exact same voice actor

“We need the movie to appeal to people who have been living in a sealed bunker since 1988 or it will be a failure”

And because it made so much money they'll think it was the right idea forever and ever.

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

pitch a fitness posted:

picture unrelated.

That Dublin 1909 stamp :eyepop:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Man I wish she’d kept doing that.

Edit: Kate Beaton, that is. Not Nora Barnacle.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

This one really got me.

Sometimes it's the simple gags.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
All I remember from the movie is that Lisa's crush and I have the same name but then he never appeared in the show.

And spider-pig.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Scorpio thing is especially weird given how the family was only vaguely aware at best he was a supervillain, they'd have to reintroduce him anyway.

Also, the villain being an evil EPA chief whom the President is powerless to refuse has... honestly it was always super stupid in the first place really.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

lol nice one

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I hated how they just put Arnold in the movie as president instead of their own parody character of him since they thought so little of the audience.

Also “what if Arnold Schwarzenegger was president lol wouldn’t that be wacky” hasn’t aged the best.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

SeANMcBAY posted:

I hated how they just put Arnold in the movie as president instead of their own parody character of him since they thought so little of the audience.

Also “what if Arnold Schwarzenegger was president lol wouldn’t that be wacky” hasn’t aged the best.

He was the CA governor at the time

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I think it's more because Schwarzenegger-- for all of his many faults-- has proven to be a pretty eloquent public speaker when put to the wall, and we actually have evidence of what happens when a sleazy showman becomes President. You might have heard about it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mean, his entire persona is deliberately and specifically cultivated, he has speech therapy to maintain his signature accent, and there's workout videos of him maintaining his physique, poise and the way he moves.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Purple Monkey
May 5, 2014

:phone:Hello

Failed Imagineer posted:

Incredible how poo poo the Simps movie was tbh. It didn't even lead to any good memes.

(Prove me wrong, children. Prove.Me.Wrong)

Spider Pig felt like them trying to make a forced meme but thankfully it never really caught on

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Purple Monkey posted:

Spider Pig felt like them trying to make a forced meme but thankfully it never really caught on

I remember it was one of those things where ads got people sick of it before the movie even came out.

'The worst day of your life so far!' was the movie though, right?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
https://youtu.be/HRIt2-tWkgE

I hope this belongs here, I can't stop listening to it.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice

GigaPeon posted:

This is the one time ‘dollars in dues’ would be appropriate.

Who What Now posted:

:doh:

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
hark,a vagrant was so, so good