Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Definitely Slam Dunk. It's one of the classics of the genre for a reason.

Kuroko's isn't bad if you're hungry for more afterwards though.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
They’re like completely different beasts in presentation, but Kuroko is definitely better served by the anime for Production IG’s slick animation and the abundance of Japanese VAs being forced to say full sentences in English.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Guys any movies like The Sword of the Stranger? Animation wise and action based. I was thinking Ninja Scroll since I haven't seen that(only amazing gifs) and it's considered a classic but any other suggestions would be welcome.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Ishikawa Goemon's Bloodspray and Ninja Batman come to mind, though the latter is mostly CG and obviously on the camp side of things

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Ninja Batman is basically a perfect movie aside from the weird low volume sound effects

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Ulio posted:

Guys any movies like The Sword of the Stranger? Animation wise and action based. I was thinking Ninja Scroll since I haven't seen that(only amazing gifs) and it's considered a classic but any other suggestions would be welcome.

Ninja Scroll is probably a good bet. Fair warning it has several sexual assault scenes though

Dagger of Kamui is also pretty good, great animation and very creative visuals but the storyline goes off the rails if that's important to you

Black Lion if you're okay with some scifi with your ninja

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ulio posted:

Afro Samurai is what you want.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Ninja Scroll, Ninja Batman, Afro Samurai and Dagger of Kamui it is I guess. I remember absolutely being blown away by Ninja Batman's trailer then forgot about it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I'm almost done with S1 of Iron Blooded Orphans.

It's... ok. Not loving it but its not crap either. I saw recent discussion of S2, is it worth keeping up with or just letting it go after S1?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I think the start and end of s2 are really good but the middles pretty eh

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

That Works posted:

I'm almost done with S1 of Iron Blooded Orphans.

It's... ok. Not loving it but its not crap either. I saw recent discussion of S2, is it worth keeping up with or just letting it go after S1?

I dropped it about 5 eps into season 2. I'd recommend just letting it go.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I watched S1 and liked it well enough but never felt like I wanted more so didn't bother with S2. imo if you aren't feeling it there's no point in forcing yourself through something, you can always come back to it later if you suddenly get an urge to watch more IBO

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Everything Burrito posted:

I watched S1 and liked it well enough but never felt like I wanted more so didn't bother with S2. imo if you aren't feeling it there's no point in forcing yourself through something, you can always come back to it later if you suddenly get an urge to watch more IBO

Season 2 needs a good run to get into the good stuff, but it's well worth sticking with until past the initial Earth arc.

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe
Looking for more stuff like Dorohedoro, for someone reeeeasonably new to anime? Interesting characters, weird, lighthearted, some sort of magic or technology in the setting but not foregrounded to the extent that there are huge infodumps every episode.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

baccano? not really "like dorohedoro" but it ticks all the checkmarks you listed

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

occluded posted:

Looking for more stuff like Dorohedoro, for someone reeeeasonably new to anime? Interesting characters, weird, lighthearted, some sort of magic or technology in the setting but not foregrounded to the extent that there are huge infodumps every episode.

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood if you haven't seen it yet.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

occluded posted:

Demon Slayer

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Mob Psycho 100 if you're cool with the setting being "contemporary plus some supernatural."

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Zerilan posted:

Mob Psycho 100 if you're cool with the setting being "contemporary plus some supernatural."

:this:

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i'll second Baccano

The Eccentric Family fits the criteria if it doesn't have to be an action series

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

occluded posted:

Kyousougiga

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY_7FYuebsY

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

occluded posted:

Blood Blockade Battlefront, Kaiba, Dennou Coil, that Trigun movie

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?

occluded posted:

Planet With

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Pootybutt posted:

Blood Blockade Battlefront, Kaiba, Dennou Coil, that Trigun movie

Maybe it is just because I haven't watched it since it's original run, but I remember Kaiba just being trippy as gently caress. I don't even recall the characters having much "characterization" beyond what was needed to move to the next set piece.

Throwing a +1 behind Mob Psycho and Baccano, though.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

some definitely do, though the body-hopping nature of the premise means your pov character and some of the people directly tied to their past are sort of unknowns until later on

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe
We've seen Mob Psycho and FMA:B (both brilliant) and the other recommendations look great, thanks!

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Just finished The Promised Neverland and hooooly gently caress it's good, gonna recommend this to the entire thread

bobomb
Jul 22, 2005

Undisputed
Moe Master
I haven't watched anything new since probably 2013
The last things I recall watching were some viking thing, and before that it was madoka magica. I recall being a human being for anything from SHAFT, penguindrum was fun. Psycho-pass was pretty awesome too.

So whats worth watching?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

bobomb posted:

I haven't watched anything new since probably 2013
The last things I recall watching were some viking thing, and before that it was madoka magica. I recall being a human being for anything from SHAFT, penguindrum was fun. Psycho-pass was pretty awesome too.

So whats worth watching?

First off, please don't use the term human being here.

To actually answer your question, if you enjoyed Shaft, definitely check out March Comes in like a Lion. And if you liked Madoka Magica, I'd recommend checking out both Selector Infexted Wixoss and Selector Spread Wixoss, as well as Flip Flappers. And if you enjoyed Ikuhata's shows like Penguindrim, you may enjoy his newest show Sarazanmai, or a show with a lot of similar aspects to previous Ikuhara works, and a personal favorite from the last few years, Shōjo Kageki Revue Starlight.

Aside from those, other shows I've really enjoyed have included Chihayafuru, Planet With, SSSS.Gridman, Zombieland Saga, A Place Further than the Universe, Beastars, Dorohedoro, and Land of the Lustrous (Houseki no Kuni), among others.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

6 more seasons of bakemonogatari

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Davincie posted:

6 more seasons of bakemonogatari

bobomb posted:

I think I watched them all, can't remember.
Show ruined toothbrushes for me.

bobomb
Jul 22, 2005

Undisputed
Moe Master

I don't think I've watched them all going by the episode lists. Toothbrushes were the last thing I saw.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

bobomb posted:

I don't think I've watched them all going by the episode lists. Toothbrushes were the last thing I saw.

Oh, then you only saw bakemonogatari and nisemonogatari.

There have been, uh, a ton of -gataris since then.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Plot twist - the best one is Katanagatari

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Plot twist - the best one is hanamonogatari

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
Watch Kakegurui if you like weird faces and constant sex imagery and occasional gambling.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
If you're cool with checking out a sports series, Haikyuu is excellent.

Haikyuu, Mob Psycho 100, A Place Further than the Universe, and Beastars are probably the best things I've seen in recent years.

Ping Pong the Animation if you stopped watching new things before that came out.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Zerilan posted:

Ping Pong the Animation if you stopped watching new things before that came out.

:f5:

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

I rewatch the series at least once a year, still stand by it being the best animated series I've seen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Zerilan posted:

I rewatch the series at least once a year, still stand by it being the best animated series I've seen.

Yup, it's one of the few I've rewatched more than once. Great series, great ending, pacing etc was just about perfect.