Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Dan Didio posted:

I don't have the issues on hand to scan, and can't find them easily, but my favourite badass Captain America moment is in #270 when Arnie Roth is quibbling through his explanation of why he came to Steve and Steve's just like, "Look, whatever you need, Arnie, Captain America's here to help!"

Here it is! I really love the Arnie stuff and I agree that this is a good moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Hell yeah, that bit's awesome. The second bit I talked about is way more muted, but just the concept of Cap's friend he hasn't seen in decades telling him that he's betrayed him and Cap just being like, "Yeah, no sweat, I got you" is so perfect.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

TIL Cap wears his uniform under his clothes like Batman.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
What year are those Cap panels from?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

How Wonderful! posted:

If anybody wants a fresh av but doesn't want to give $$$ to Lowtax, you can show me a receipt or some other documentation of a new donation to RAINN or another anti-domestic abuse organization and I'll queue it up for you.

Yes please, as long as you can keep the lyrics/gang tags.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

What year are those Cap panels from?

1982 for the first batch, maybe late 1982 or 1983 for the second bunch.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Caps a Bernie bro eh

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Bernadette Rosenthal! One time paramour and somewhat fiance of Steve Rogers, she became a lawyer after this and ended up being the one to defend Bucky in court when the government tried to prosecute him for his crimes as the Winter Soldier. She was almost as cool as Arnie and it's a shame she hasn't appeared more.

I always liked her more than Sharon.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Also, for those who maybe aren't aware, the entire concept of Arnie Roth, Cap's gay friend who he hasn't seen in years, is basically the majority of the inspiration for Sebastian Stan's version of Bucky in the movies.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Dan Didio posted:

Also, for those who maybe aren't aware, the entire concept of Arnie Roth, Cap's gay friend who he hasn't seen in years, is basically the majority of the inspiration for Sebastian Stan's version of Bucky in the movies.
Aging Bucky up for WW2 and making him a "big brother" type character definitely fits that (and avoids having to depict Cap with a 12 year old sidekick in a warzone), but that's only one element of either character. Is there anything out there where Christopher Markus or Stephen McFeely talk about using Roth as a basis for the revised character?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

site posted:

Caps a Bernie bro eh

Bernie rules and is my favorite Cap love interest. I always loved that it flipped the normal dynamic of comic book soap relationships-- she was supposed to be kind of plain and schlubby and Cap was the hot one. Their was also the interesting angle that she was a modern woman with modern sensibilities about sex and commitment and although Cap was a big sweetheart he was also still a little more reserved. In that very same issue they have a conversation about how she said "I love you" to him and he didn't feel ready to say it back because he still sees it as an enormous commitment so he wants to break up, and she's like "what's wrong with you, that's bananas." I liked the way DeMatteis had them clash like this but work through it like adults.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Yes please, as long as you can keep the lyrics/gang tags.

On it, sorry, I took a mega long nap today.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

How Wonderful! posted:

Bernie rules and is my favorite Cap love interest.

The back half of that DeMatteis run was my introduction to Cap because my parents got my a subscription to the book for a year, and I then proceeded to read those comics so much they basically fell apart. The rough part was the subscription ended before DeMatteis finished the arc so it wasn't until I got a Marvel Unlimited subscription that I finally learned how Cap got young again.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

How Wonderful! posted:

Here it is! I really love the Arnie stuff and I agree that this is a good moment.

Though it does likely mean that in the middle of Arnie spilling his guts about his most personal feelings, Steve is just silently stripping in a "I know what way this conversation is heading."

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

How Wonderful! posted:

I've seen this page before but I never noticed that cap entirely changes into his costume while Arnie is talking. drat that's fast

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Break away pants.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Maybe Arnie is just one of those people who talk really slow I mean that is a lot of text bubbles

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
You fools still think Steve Rogers is Captain America. No, Steve just his behind the couch while Cap hopped out of his hiding place.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit
Just has to say the magic phrase and WHOOSH, Steve Rogers is transformed into CAPTAIN AMERICA

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Johnny Aztec posted:

Just has to say the magic phrase and WHOOSH, Steve Rogers is transformed into CAPTAIN AMERICA
Ironically, the phrase is "O Canada, we stand on guard for thee."

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Beastars

Setup: The Shinsengumi have 'kidnapped' their former boss Louis (the deer) live on TV, and they need to stop the cops before he arrives at his actual destination; so they sacrifice themselves to ensure the outcome.

(Right to Left)

Cool guys don't look at explosions :allears:

I know I know, I'm trying to minimise the pages. It's the full sequence.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Daredevil 18: Stopping a kidnapper (there's a whole gang war thing going on but that background is unneeded to understand these panels)

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jul 29, 2020

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Me: I really don’t know if I can be bothered with another GotG reboot...

Al Ewing:

Me: :f5:ing for the next issue.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

How Wonderful! posted:

On it, sorry, I took a mega long nap today.

I meant to thank you for this but was busy and blanked.I love it! I wanted to replace my avatar on account of the prominent cop in it possibly making people uncomfortable/giving the wrong impression and this is perfect.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

DigitalRaven posted:

Me: I really don’t know if I can be bothered with another GotG reboot...

Al Ewing:

Me: :f5:ing for the next issue.

Has Marvel Boy been in anything since Young Avengers?

Fake Edit,just remembered he showed up in the short lived West Coast Avengers relaunch, anything else?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Has Marvel Boy been in anything since Young Avengers?

Fake Edit,just remembered he showed up in the short lived West Coast Avengers relaunch, anything else?

He's in Al Ewing's Guardians of the Galaxy right this very second! The post above is from the very recent reboot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

How Wonderful! posted:

He's in Al Ewing's Guardians of the Galaxy right this very second! The post above is from the very recent reboot.

I knew that, I meant in between the two. My post made more sense before I remembered West Coast Avengers.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I knew that, I meant in between the two. My post made more sense before I remembered West Coast Avengers.

Oh, sorry-- well, some good news anyway is that he also turned up in Royals, which I found not super interesting but not terrible.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
One Piece

Roronoa Zoro has a peculiar fighting style: he uses three swords, one in each hand and one gripped in his teeth.

During his latest battle two of his swords were broken, so now he's looking for replacements. He goes into a shop, but the owner tells him that with the money he has (two hundred thousand Beli -- Beli being this world's currency), the best he can do is give him two low-quality swords for fifty thousand each. So he starts digging through buckets of lovely swords with the help of Tashigi, a sword nerd, who notices and pulls out a specific one: Sandai Kitetsu.

(Read right to left)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

God I forgot about that. Early One Piece has so many great bad rear end moments.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Mikl posted:

One Piece

Roronoa Zoro has a peculiar fighting style: he uses three swords, one in each hand and one gripped in his teeth.

During his latest battle two of his swords were broken, so now he's looking for replacements. He goes into a shop, but the owner tells him that with the money he has (two hundred thousand Beli -- Beli being this world's currency), the best he can do is give him two low-quality swords for fifty thousand each. So he starts digging through buckets of lovely swords with the help of Tashigi, a sword nerd, who notices and pulls out a specific one: Sandai Kitetsu.

(Read right to left)

:zoro:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Imma just post the anime clip for this rather than the 20 odd panels it would take to explain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcayAyvN_cQ

:zoro:

(Gainax posing is bad rear end *cough* )

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

Swamp Thing #27

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Mikl posted:

One Piece

(Read right to left)

That is cool.

But surely from a physics standpoint, Zoro is going to be fine. Without someone holding the blade in place, it's more likely to bounce off his arm than cut straight through it?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yes, the cursed fantasy sword will behave to real world physics.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Infinitum posted:

Yes, the cursed fantasy sword will behave to real world physics.

That would be a pretty cool curse.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The Question IRL posted:

That is cool.

But surely from a physics standpoint, Zoro is going to be fine. Without someone holding the blade in place, it's more likely to bounce off his arm than cut straight through it?

Did you miss the panel of the sword buried to the hilt in the ground

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

The Question IRL posted:

That is cool.

I feel like dropping a knife onto someone would end up with them getting cut

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

The Question IRL posted:

That is cool.

trying to imagine a sword cutting through an arm but it just keeps bouncing off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat

scary ghost dog posted:

trying to imagine a sword cutting through an arm but it just keeps bouncing off

I remember watching Braveheart and wondering why no one ever got hurt in the swordfights