Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I just looked up that new Venu watch and I want one now....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
For what it's worth, I got the Venu and I love it.

Too bad that after a few days of owning it Garmin is going through a huge ransomware attack and none of their services are available.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Does Garmin stuff last longer before permanent hardware failure than the Fitbit watches? Several of the Fitbit Ionic owners I know had theirs die before 2 years old, my wife and I both had Versas die around 1.5 years like I complained about up-thread.

If the Garmin stuff is actually long-term durable, something like the Venu looks great.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

Twerk from Home posted:

Does Garmin stuff last longer before permanent hardware failure than the Fitbit watches? Several of the Fitbit Ionic owners I know had theirs die before 2 years old, my wife and I both had Versas die around 1.5 years like I complained about up-thread.

If the Garmin stuff is actually long-term durable, something like the Venu looks great.

When my fitbit ionic died (after about a year and a half) I went back to my garmin forerunner 10 to track my runs. It's basic, but I bought it in like 2013 and was still alive. I couldn't get it to connect so I couldn't transfer my runs from the watch to the computer, but I was able to charge it, and the gps still worked. It's entirely possible it was just a bad cable and the watch itself was fine.

I know it's not a smartwatch, but lasting as long as it did, especially with a dead battery and confined to a junk drawer, surprised me.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Twerk from Home posted:

Got a Vivoactive 3 that's ~3 years old and still working. At the start of the year there was a firmware update that hosed up the battery life though, so now I get less than a days worth of charge instead of 3-5 days. It's no longer getting updates since it's so old so me and other people with this issue are pretty much hosed.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
The couple Garmins I used had no issues aside from the bands falling apart, which should be less of an issue if you're buying a higher end model with standard band mounts instead of the glued on rubber bands. I think one software update caused a Bluetooth connection drop issue that was fixed in a later update, otherwise no real problems. Still have one as a trusted device to save time unlocking my phone.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

My Vivoactive 3 has been truckin' for 2 years and still lasts the better part of the week. I have the HR monitor turned off, so I'm sure that buys me extra battery time too. The screen has no scratches. The thing's held up better than my Pebble, even.

The only thing that broke was the loop on the silicone wristband that held the excess strap in place. A cheap replacement strap is easy enough to find.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I can't believe there's still nothing out there with no fitness poo poo so we can have the option of battery life. I guess it's cause they really wanna track more than just your vitals

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

codo27 posted:

I can't believe there's still nothing out there with no fitness poo poo so we can have the option of battery life. I guess it's cause they really wanna track more than just your vitals

This 1000x. I couldn't care less about my steps or heart rate. I have no idea what kind of impact it has on the battery life, but removing or disabling those features can only extend the time on a charge.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
I've got an older person with memory issues I'm trying to help. Are there any smart watches out there with reasonably easy to use timer and calendar features, preferably with android connectivity? This person abandons their phone constantly, so something that can stay strapped to their body all day long seems the only useful tool.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Twerk from Home posted:

I had 3 Vivoactive HRs die on me over the course of ~3 years, they replaced them for free with new units each time. When the 3rd one died, they instead replaced it with a Vivoactive 3 which has been running strong for the last 12 months.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I scratched the glass on my Vivoactive 3 the first day I had it. I put a tempered glass screen protector on it. It's seamless. I'm on my 2nd protector, and it's pretty cracked. I'm not good with being nice to watches.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
Thanks for the reminder. I bought a screen protector with the watch, but was in too much of a rush to get my watch on right away and start using it. I need to do that when I get home from work.

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

codo27 posted:

Unsure what exactly you're after but newer Garmin watches allow you to customize virtually everything for battery life. I was about to buy an Instinct Solar before Garmin Connect died, it has crazy battery life customization. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUgu804j-cI&t=272s

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Aquila posted:

Unsure what exactly you're after but newer Garmin watches allow you to customize virtually everything for battery life. I was about to buy an Instinct Solar before Garmin Connect died, it has crazy battery life customization. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUgu804j-cI&t=272s

Wow. Does Garmin stuff go on significant discount around Black Friday like consoles, iPads and phones do? Or does it pretty much go for full MSRP all the time?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Aquila posted:

I really want one of those....

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Wow. Does Garmin stuff go on significant discount around Black Friday like consoles, iPads and phones do? Or does it pretty much go for full MSRP all the time?

I'd say something in between for the first year or so after something is released, then more and more until as much as half off when it's replaced. You can get the old Garmin Instinct for $200 or less, but it lacks the solar, the better battery, and the fancy battery management.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So, I have a Fitbit Versa, and I've owned two, one being a warranty replacement. Both have had the screen pop off the body (both fixed with super glue).

Now, I'm tempted to get a Garmin but the recent attack makes me hesitant. Any thoughts?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

There's not really any perfect answer at the moment.

Presumably Garmin will make efforts to avoid future such disruptions and there's uncertainty around the future of Fitbit with the Google acquisition. Anecdotally I think many people have similar experiences around the reliability of Fitbit hardware, but I think for most folks so far the backend software and platform independence has outweighed that.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

isndl posted:

The couple Garmins I used had no issues aside from the bands falling apart, which should be less of an issue if you're buying a higher end model with standard band mounts instead of the glued on rubber bands. I think one software update caused a Bluetooth connection drop issue that was fixed in a later update, otherwise no real problems. Still have one as a trusted device to save time unlocking my phone.

K8.0 posted:

I've got an older person with memory issues I'm trying to help. Are there any smart watches out there with reasonably easy to use timer and calendar features, preferably with android connectivity? This person abandons their phone constantly, so something that can stay strapped to their body all day long seems the only useful tool.
I bought my boomer mom a Garmin Vivosmart HR+ two years ago and she has had no issues with it aside from the band breaking once which the company replaced. I bought it and some Tiles for her because a constant stresser in her life is remembering where her keys, purse, and phone are. Now as long as she doesn't lose her arm she can always find her phone which lets her find her purse and keys. She says it's the nicest gift I ever got her. I don't believe she has ever used the GPS feature and don't think she uses the HR part, but that was an essential feature she wanted. If I bought it again I'd probably try to find something with a bigger, more colorful screen because her old eyes sometimes struggle with it.
---
So cross-posting this from the android thread -

bull3964 posted:

On another note, not the wearable thread but worth mentioning. Misfit is blowing out their Vapor X smart watches at a massive discount. Watch without charger and bands can be had for as little as $14.95 (looks like they use just the standard Fossil group charger) and full boxed versions are $40. Wear is a mess right now, but those are prices that make it ok.

https://www.misfit.com/smartwatches/misfit-vapor-x/
I've never really felt a desire for a smartwatch, but $40 is cheap and has me wondering: What exactly are the use cases of a smartwatch? I'm an American whose lands are being ravaged by the plague so I'm not going outside for the foreseeable future and my phone lives in my pocket. If I took a lot of calls I would start using a bluetooth headset, not my watch. I stream my music. Is really just down to I could look at what time it is even more frequently and monitoring when I jerk off?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Re: Fitbit and Google

Initially I was mildly positive about it, hoping for Google doing fancy ML things with the Fitbits. But then again, this was rose tinted glasses bullshit, considering how a) Google tends to run things/acquisitions into the ground and b) everything health related besides simple step and heart-rate counting seems to require FDA approval (and whatever applies in non-US countries).

Kind of like this Cardiogram app, that claims to be relatively reliable in predicting conditions, yet doesn't let you see any of that, and only notifies you if it does go tilt, and only when you have a premium subscription.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Gobbeldygook posted:

I've never really felt a desire for a smartwatch, but $40 is cheap and has me wondering: What exactly are the use cases of a smartwatch?

I liked the health stuff, but seeing as I haven't gone to the gym since March, it's less useful these days.

The #1 most unexpected usage for me is having it vibrate when my phone rings. I was constantly missing calls, usually cause I would lower the volume at work and not increase it at home.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
I got a hold of a secondhand Forerunner 645 and for those of you on the fence about of Garmin because of the recent attack, they've got things under control enough that I had no issues getting it synced and new watch face downloaded from their site. Presumably they're going to harden themselves against future attacks after this as well.

Gobbeldygook posted:

I've never really felt a desire for a smartwatch, but $40 is cheap and has me wondering: What exactly are the use cases of a smartwatch? I'm an American whose lands are being ravaged by the plague so I'm not going outside for the foreseeable future and my phone lives in my pocket. If I took a lot of calls I would start using a bluetooth headset, not my watch. I stream my music. Is really just down to I could look at what time it is even more frequently and monitoring when I jerk off?

Everyone has different desires out of their watch, like I don't really care much about GPS even if it's included in the one I just got. I do care about being able to glance at my wrist when a message comes in without having to pick up my phone, and the various fitness related functions do gently push me into being more active even if I'm still woefully short of doctor recommended activity levels.

In a post-pandemic world they have other nice utility like music controls (sometimes even playing the music without a phone involved at all), or contactless payment (acting as credit card, or sometimes a public transit pass). In a general sense a smartwatch is merely a smaller smartphone and anything the smartwatch does the smartphone can also do, but there's something to be said for the convenience of having it strapped to your wrist.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I ended up pulling the trigger on an instinct solar. Now my two trackers (watch and bike computer) are all consolidated into one system.

Pros:
- huge battery life.
- always on display
- solar charging

Cons:
- button layout is a bit eh
- huge battery means long charge times on the charger

Neutral:
- no touch screen, only push buttons
- toggle for back light, doesn't auto adjust

Things that exist but don't bother me:
- it's monochrome

e:
added another con.

iospace fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Aug 5, 2020

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Versa 2: complete garbage? It's the only one the misses likes the look of. Feel like I've heard nothing but bad about fitbit

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup
I liked my ionic when I first got it, and while it worked the GPS was fairly accurate, but it seemed like every time there was a firmware update my Bluetooth connectivity went to poo poo and I would have to gently caress around with turning bluetooth/phone/watch on and off several times before getting them to maybe pair sometimes. Also had issues with always receiving notifications.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

iospace posted:

I ended up pulling the trigger on an instinct solar. Now my two trackers (watch and bike computer) are all consolidated into one system.

Pros:
- huge battery life.
- always on display
- solar charging

Cons:

Neutral:

- it's monochrome

e:
added another con.

I think I'm going to get one of these too. I'm completely fine with no touchscreen and toggle backlight. I read that the Instinct screen is super readable in bright outdoors light? I'm tired of "smartwatches" and this is much more my speed.

How is the heartrate monitor? It apparently has a new one.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

iospace posted:

Pros:
- huge battery life.
- always on display
- solar charging

Cons:

Neutral:

- it's monochrome

e:
added another con.

Can you confirm that the instinct solar has a plastic back? I had to throw my brand new vivoactive3 due to the mother of all rashes with the device "steel" back.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CLAM DOWN posted:

I think I'm going to get one of these too. I'm completely fine with no touchscreen and toggle backlight. I read that the Instinct screen is super readable in bright outdoors light? I'm tired of "smartwatches" and this is much more my speed.

How is the heartrate monitor? It apparently has a new one.

It's super readable outdoors, and the HRM is great. It looks like a 1hz refresh rate, but I could be wrong.

SlowBloke posted:

Can you confirm that the instinct solar has a plastic back? I had to throw my brand new vivoactive3 due to the mother of all rashes with the device "steel" back.

Plastic, but it looks like the HRM part is glass or another clear material.

Also not a fan of the stock band but eh.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

iospace posted:

It's super readable outdoors, and the HRM is great. It looks like a 1hz refresh rate, but I could be wrong.

I ordered one. So stoked.

Giant Metal Robot
Jun 14, 2005

Taco Defender

iospace posted:

How well does course navigation work on that size of screen? Replacing my vivosport, partly to have a more heads up map on long bike rides.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Giant Metal Robot posted:

How well does course navigation work on that size of screen? Replacing my vivosport, partly to have a more heads up map on long bike rides.

I use an Edge 530 on my bike, so not my use case, sorry!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

iospace posted:

Plastic, but it looks like the HRM part is glass or another clear material.

Also not a fan of the stock band but eh.

Just curious, do you use a screen protector on your Instinct? Actually, would that mess with the solar part?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

CLAM DOWN posted:

Just curious, do you use a screen protector on your Instinct? Actually, would that mess with the solar part?

No I don't, and they don't recommend one apparently

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

iospace posted:

No I don't, and they don't recommend one apparently

Welp, okay then!

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
I've had the Instinct Solar for like 5 days now, and have run it through a number of different activities (hike, bike, walk, stairs climb, and weights), and I love it!! It does accurate tracking, really easy to use with the button layout, and very reliable. GPS mode is great, it uploads my track and/or location to the Garmin Explore app automatically, which has topo maps synced for offline used. It's the best hiking device I've ever seen! Battery life seems approx 20+ days without solar, with the hours of sun I've given it so far, I've added 1-2 days of battery life already. It's remarkable. Best part is, it just looks cool. I like the more rugged look in a watch, and I am so glad to not use my Samsung Watch anymore.

Thanks again for the recommendation iospace!!

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've had the Instinct Solar for like 5 days now, and have run it through a number of different activities (hike, bike, walk, stairs climb, and weights), and I love it!! It does accurate tracking, really easy to use with the button layout, and very reliable. GPS mode is great, it uploads my track and/or location to the Garmin Explore app automatically, which has topo maps synced for offline used. It's the best hiking device I've ever seen! Battery life seems approx 20+ days without solar, with the hours of sun I've given it so far, I've added 1-2 days of battery life already. It's remarkable. Best part is, it just looks cool. I like the more rugged look in a watch, and I am so glad to not use my Samsung Watch anymore.

Thanks again for the recommendation iospace!!

Welp now I want one again.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Bunch of new Fitbits coming, maybe these ones won't fall apart in 2 months

https://www.theverge.com/2020/8/18/21374022/fitbit-versa-3-sense-inspire-2-leak-render-smartwatch

they will

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen
e: oh my god I really should just read what's been posted here already, sorry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lights
Dec 9, 2007

Lights, the Peacock King, First of His Name.

codo27 posted:

Versa 2: complete garbage? It's the only one the misses likes the look of. Feel like I've heard nothing but bad about fitbit

I got one for Christmas and really loved it up until the end of July, when it suddenly and mysteriously stopped auto-detecting exercise. I've changed the auto-detect times, uninstalled/reinstalled the app, cleared cache/etc, factory reset the watch, updated the firmware, and even got a whole new phone (not because of the fitbit, just coincidental). I cannot for the life of me figure out why it won't do it anymore. Heart rate works, it tracks active minutes, but no exercise detection.