Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Motherfucker posted:

I personally think the power creep is accounted for. Allison clearly isn't even beginning on her journey of power, as evidenced by Solomon being the END of the road. The characters could stand to be tuffer.

One of the story's major themes is the hallow futility of pursuing personal power. It would rather undercut that point if the whole thing was just one long shonen style power creep.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jul 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Tulip posted:

It's very much that point Tolstoy made that, in a battle of wits, the peasant will beat the scholar, because the peasant is not wracked with confusion and doubt.

Ex-peasant scholar warlords though

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jul 26, 2020

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
Abbadon said we're going to hate the ending of this, so it's probably just gonna be "White Chain dies, Gog does nothing, no moral"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Motherfucker posted:

I personally think the power creep is accounted for. Allison clearly isn't even beginning on her journey of power, as evidenced by Solomon being the END of the road. The characters could stand to be tuffer.

If this is what you've gotten out of the story, you haven't been paying attention;

The Song of Maybe posted:

Lord Intra gathered his retainers, who were hungry for tutelage. “Lord Intra!” said his sandal bearer, “What is the first step on the path to Royalty?”

“There are no steps,” replied Intra, “It is zero-sum with your reality. It is not measured in finger-lengths.”

“Lord Intra,” said his bodyguard, “Is the path to Royalty the path of struggle, then?”

“No,” said Intra, “One may attain it without any effort at all. It is, in fact, the antithesis of struggle.”

Intra’s steward was very discontent with his master’s evasiveness. “Lord,” he said, “Allow us lowly men some small measure of understanding. For sympathy’s sake, and the sake of we good and loyal servants, please tell us in plain language the nature of Royalty.”

“I will tell you precisely what Royalty is,” said Intra, “It is a continuous cutting motion.”

-The Song of Maybe

And more importantly after understanding this; the Royal path is a stupid one for people with silly pieces of sharp metal that poison their souls.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Archenteron posted:

Abbadon said we're going to hate the ending of this, so it's probably just gonna be "White Chain dies, Gog does nothing, no moral"

Something dreadful is bound to happen. We're just about at the point in any story where the hero plummets to their lowest point and this whole arc has been building to a climactic moment where Dave gets the rug pulled out from under him, which is such a plum moment to flip the script.

Edit: I think White Chain will get what she wants, but everyone else will be unpleased with how this unfolds.

Skippy McPants fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jul 26, 2020

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Archenteron posted:

With the band's track record of just making the demiurges very, very angry and barely escaping with their lives, the ending I'd hate the most is a convincing win.

Magnus Manfist
Mar 10, 2013

Skippy McPants posted:

One of the story's major themes is the hallow futility of pursuing personal power. It would rather undercut that point if the whole thing was just one long shonen style power creep.

Also I don't think that's giving the background much respect. Yeah, we see that the demiurges are ultimately failures, and yeah there are a couple of individuals in all of history who could wreck them (Zoss, Meti, Intra). But they're also 7 individuals holding absolute dominion over the entirety of the multiverse through personal power, crushing worlds at their whim, walking all over the legions of angels, in the case of Sol Dave despite holding a regular competition where literally anyone can challenge him, for loving millenia, without getting a scratch.

A ragtag bunch of heroes doesn't need to quickly ascend to that power level for the story to progress, the whole point is that loving no one has that level of power. I mean obviously Allison has theoretially infinite power, but White Chain isn't going to go through a couple of emotional revelations and get on his level. This whole chapter is about how he's unbeatable at punching, and you need to do something other than play him at his own game

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

White Chain is going to move and get a hit in but still get obliterated. Meanwhile Grandpa Gaze is going to join the team and suck all the fun out of the room.

Not on purpose mind you, he’s going to have a grand old time but he’s just an old nerd.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Joe Slowboat posted:

There’s not really any evidence of her being able to force the worm - I’m pretty sure when she devours a world she literally just totally eats people with a mass of worms. After all, the name of the play is Man, and its hero the Conqueror Worm. She maybe can rebuild them out of worms but I imagine she’s bad at it - one thing Gog Agog isn’t very good at is subterfuge, based on literally everything we’ve seen her do on screen.

It's really dangerous to assume someone's bad at lying, especially when they're going out of their way to present themselves to you. "Oh look I'm an idiot goofball and you can read me like a book, there's no way I could pull one over on you so you can trust anything I say." Gog Agog is a master manipulator, she definitely didn't win by the sword. And yet since she's a literal dancing clown none of the other Demiurges take her seriously.

vvv Edit: The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was making you believe he sucked at fiddling.

Reclaimer fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 26, 2020

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Reclaimer posted:

It's really dangerous to assume someone's bad at lying, especially when they're going out of their way to present themselves to you. "Oh look I'm an idiot goofball and you can read me like a book, there's no way I could pull one over on you so you can trust anything I say." Gog Agog is a master manipulator, she definitely didn't win by the sword. And yet since she's a literal dancing clown none of the other Demiurges take her seriously.

Consider; the person who everyone believes to be a terrible liar and manipulator may in fact be the most cunning and cruel of all.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Reclaimer posted:

All of the demiurges won their slice of the universe and keep it with steel and blood.
She may also be a manipulator but there is no doubt about the power she holds as one of the princes of the world.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
not mine:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If this is what you've gotten out of the story, you haven't been paying attention;

And more importantly after understanding this; the Royal path is a stupid one for people with silly pieces of sharp metal that poison their souls.

if you are truly Royal you can cut, and not cut, as it suits you

YISUN was a liar so good they could lie to themselves about what they were and in so doing were the only being to achieve this

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Rigged Death Trap posted:

All of the demiurges won their slice of the universe and keep it with steel and blood.
She may also be a manipulator but there is no doubt about the power she holds as one of the princes of the world.

Also Tom has said that Gog is, with the possible exception of Jagganoth, the most physically threatening demiurge if she has her poo poo together.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

akulanization posted:

Also Tom has said that Gog is, with the possible exception of Jagganoth, the most physically threatening demiurge if she has her poo poo together.

It seems kinda obvious now; even if Gog gets splatted by, say, Salami Dave, she gets billions of more tries. She is her empire beyond even diamond boy.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Jag is my favorite because even if he's a dumb rear end in a top hat like the others at least his hate and grief is pure

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
gog is gonna pull a kefka, posting this for posterity

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Archenteron posted:

It does kind of feel like this is just a setup to White Chain getting pasted, and the twitch is just "hey look White Chain is so badass that she moved several millimeters during Dave's time stop attack"

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Pyrus Malus posted:

gog is gonna pull a kefka, posting this for posterity

Kefka wishes he could be as rad of a planetary overlord as gog. OG Agog style

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Kefka didn’t decide to destroy the world because he was bored, he did it because he realized he could never be as awesome as your pal Gog Agog.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Jag is my favorite because even if he's a dumb rear end in a top hat like the others at least his hate and grief is pure

He and Incubus and SolDave and really all of them are just the walking PTSD-ridden husks of the Universal War, and it's not even subtle. Solomon dresses his damage up in imperial attire, Incubus is an irony-poisoned twit about it, Mottom is self-pitying and can't imagine improving, Mammon has dementia, Jadis is a paperweight, etc. Gog Agog may have had her issues beforehand, but we'd need to learn more about where she comes from to say for sure.

Jagganoth is just the most overt about it, and the one who's trying to reinvent suicide as a group activity on an omniversal scale.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
Jags is definitely the closest of the seven to Royalty. Of course, Royalty being what it is, that means he's still pretty drat far away. Certainly further than Zoss.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Solomon is a shonen villain, Jagganoth is a JRPG endboss.

Algid
Oct 10, 2007

YaketySass posted:

Solomon is a shonen villain, Jagganoth is a JRPG endboss.
He's supposed to start off the fight with a gimmick invincibility phase which nobody has figured out yet so this checks out.

White Chain exploding into high speed shrapnel right as Allison lands on stage is a good way for her to get her own set of "30 iron feathers". Not sure what that will do aside from making her an even better punching bag though.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Algid posted:

He's supposed to start off the fight with a gimmick invincibility phase which nobody has figured out yet so this checks out.

White Chain exploding into high speed shrapnel right as Allison lands on stage is a good way for her to get her own set of "30 iron feathers". Not sure what that will do aside from making her an even better punching bag though.

This might be how she loses her eye.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Mr. Lobe posted:

This might be how she loses her eye.

That's actually some hitherto unseen character who jumps in front of Allison to take the shrapnel and ends up getting reconstructive surgery to look exactly like her, while Allison goes undercover somewhere else for some reason. All according to plan :ocelot:

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
I always assumed the eyeless allison was after incubus takes full control, y'know a reversal so allison becomes the antagonist and white chain the protag

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Renaissance Robot posted:

All according to keikaku

(Translator's note: keikaku means plan)

ftfy

e:

SneezeOfTheDecade fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jul 27, 2020

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

maswastaken posted:

With the band's track record of just making the demiurges very, very angry and barely escaping with their lives, the ending I'd hate the most is a convincing win.

Adding on this, their current track record has involved reinvigorating the two demiurges they've visited, getting Mottom to stop moping in her palace and curing Mammon of his senility and getting him out of his vault. So somehow or another this is going to end with kicking Solomon out of his holding pattern, and I suspect he'll actually be quite a bit happier to be back on the warpath.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Renaissance Robot posted:

That's actually some hitherto unseen character who jumps in front of Allison to take the shrapnel and ends up getting reconstructive surgery to look exactly like her, while Allison goes undercover somewhere else for some reason. All according to plan :ocelot:

Heaven is a polluted ruin.

We will build our paradise in Outer Heaven.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
OH poo poo.

What if White Chain makes him bleed with a cross counter in the frozen time, but she’s then obliterated (or at least her body is, I don’t expect her to get fridged) at the same moment? Not only does Dave win, but he also loses. The world sees Dave move in a blink, but when the dust settles and he’s standing over the broken shell of an angel, a single drop of blood runs down his cheek.

Edit: And then while Dave is reeling from the emotional impact of what just happened, Gog sees her chance and Gogs all over everything.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jul 27, 2020

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I hate that I have no idea where this is going to go.

What days does this comic update on again?

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

PMush Perfect posted:

OH poo poo.

What if White Chain makes him bleed with a cross counter in the frozen time, but she’s then obliterated (or at least her body is, I don’t expect her to get fridged) at the same moment? Not only does Dave win, but he also loses. The world sees Dave move in a blink, but when the dust settles and he’s standing over the broken shell of an angel, a single drop of blood runs down his cheek.

Edit: And then while Dave is reeling from the emotional impact of what just happened, Gog sees her chance and Gogs all over everything.

Or maybe she will Agog all over everything?

We'll just have to wait to see how this plays out

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Josef bugman posted:

I hate that I have no idea where this is going to go.

What days does this comic update on again?

Generally Monday and Friday-ish, unless it's a REALLY detailed page and then it's "when it's done".

It's often "when it's done" :v:.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Reclaimer posted:

vvv Edit: The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was making you believe he sucked at fiddling.

With googoo I can easily see it go both ways. Either she's cunning or just so stupendously powerful that her intelligence is irrelevant.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
gog-agog pulled off some very straight-faced, sardonic commentary during the tournament (unlike gog-agog and gog-agog, to say nothing of gog-agog) so she's definitely got more than one setting on her dial

that shoe will have to drop eventually

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Mindblast posted:

With googoo I can easily see it go both ways. Either she's cunning or just so stupendously powerful that her intelligence is irrelevant.

I don't think she's called "The Great Devourer" because of her reading habits or "Scourge of Worlds" for her subtlety.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Bearer of the word BEAST and god of the seven-part world.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Oxxidation posted:

gog-agog pulled off some very straight-faced, sardonic commentary during the tournament (unlike gog-agog and gog-agog, to say nothing of gog-agog) so she's definitely got more than one setting on her dial

that shoe will have to drop eventually

That one panel of her scowling at the Concordance of the Demiurges should tell you exactly what she's actually capable of and how much of what she does in plain sight is an act.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA
I look forward to a tidal wave of worms devouring a seventh of creation when this all goes belly-up