Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Yuns posted:

Sorry but this is not generally true in modern cars that TC or SC cutting in mean that you've hosed up. Modern SC and TC systems in most cars are super intrusive and default to cut in way before it's actually dangerous. That being said. It's generally a good idea to have some level of TC/SC and most of the TC/SC shut off options in cars don't actually fully shut off but rather dial down the level of intrusion. And while ABS is great all of the time on the road there are still reasons why people pull ABS on the track and why KTM provides an option to turn it off (although modern cornering ABS probably solves most of those).

Coydog posted:

edit: Obviously none of this counts for when you Mean To gently caress Up re:Supermotos

Like whatever do what you want on the track. But on a street bike whatever ego boost I get from not having rider aids is canceled out by eating pavement in front of a dozen bystanders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
the ultimate rider aid is your brain and wrist. you don't need electronics if you ride appropriately to the situation

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Apologies for starting us down this discussion. Didn't meant to derail this thread like that. I'll stop.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
No, this is the cycle asylum way. It's ok.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
In the US: I'm looking for a used sport-tourer that would handle daily commuting well and also the occasional couple-day highway rides with a passenger. I'm leaning towards a Ninja 1000 as the other usual suspects (FJR, ST1300) seem boring or huge in comparison. "Adventure" bikes are way overcosted in my area so that's a non starter.

Basically hey are my assumptions right or is there a bike I haven't put in for consideration?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Springfield Fatts posted:

In the US: I'm looking for a used sport-tourer that would handle daily commuting well and also the occasional couple-day highway rides with a passenger. I'm leaning towards a Ninja 1000 as the other usual suspects (FJR, ST1300) seem boring or huge in comparison. "Adventure" bikes are way overcosted in my area so that's a non starter.

Basically hey are my assumptions right or is there a bike I haven't put in for consideration?

Multistrada 1000/1100? You should be able to find one for a decent price because they're the un-sexy Ducati nobody wants. But they're still pretty great to ride, and they aren't huge beasts.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Vfr800, fz1, vstrom spring to mind. I don't know your definition of boring but the z1k is just a lot of buzzy power and not much else imo.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also:

Collateral Damage posted:

Is there anything the ZRX doesn't do well?

(aside from "be easy to find up for sale")

But, like, the VFR used to seem like it was the canonical answer to the question of "middleweight sport tourer", has anything changed to make that not the case any more?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Razzled posted:

the ultimate rider aid is your brain and wrist. you don't need electronics if you ride appropriately to the situation

True, even MotoGP bikes currently don't have mailbox-avoidance capabilities.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Yuns posted:

Apologies for starting us down this discussion. Didn't meant to derail this thread like that. I'll stop.

Lol don't worry, nobody's getting out the knuckle dusters - this is an argument that's been repeated every time there's been two bikers and one piece of new technology, I'm certain that people were telegraphing "AUTOMATIC TIMER ADVANCE IS FOR FANCY DANS STOP A REAL MOTORCYCLIST IS IN CHARGE OF HIS VEHICLE STOP" to each other a hundred years ago.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

goddamnedtwisto posted:

True, even MotoGP bikes currently don't have mailbox-avoidance capabilities.

that's why road racers are the real men

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

The FJR isn't as boring as you might think (the ST1300 is, which is a shame). Stick to Gen 1 FZ1s if you look at them, the second gen bikes suck for riding comfort and you'll be filling up constantly.

Add the Versys to your list if you can stomach the looks.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Jazzzzz posted:

The FJR isn't as boring as you might think (the ST1300 is, which is a shame). Stick to Gen 1 FZ1s if you look at them, the second gen bikes suck for riding comfort and you'll be filling up constantly.

Add the Versys to your list if you can stomach the looks.

V-Strom is always a good contender.

BMW's lineup too, though I'm not a big fan personally.

ought ten
Feb 6, 2004

Concours 1000 if you don’t mind 1980s tech. A used one will probably have all the good stuff stuff added already so that’s a bonus.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

There's a reasonably priced "Adventure" bike that just go posted in the marketplace...

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

FJ-09 aka Tracer 900. It's relatively light and the engine is lots of fun. Or does that come with the adventure bike tax?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Went to the local bike shop to have them recommend a place to do training and talk 125s, they didn't want to talk about the new Chinese bikes they sell (zontes?) And instead tried to push a 1999 CG125. Drum brakes, kick start, carb'd, spoked wheels and 55k miles. Think I'll go elsewhere.

E: to clarify the look and feel of the bike are fine but part of me thinks a new efi/electric start etc bike with a 2 year warranty might be an easier start.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The CG125 has 55k miles on it because it's a reliable workhorse, that's gone through tens of new learners.

How many Chinese 125's do you see on Autotrader with that sort of mileage?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Oh I agree but at 55k miles and tens of learners how many services has it had missed or bungled, what's been twisted or bent that I won't know about, how old are the tyres, what's nearing the end of its life that I won't know about until it splits or snaps?

I get the benefits of buying a solid old Honda but there's also a decent chance it's a knackered old Honda.

Talking about Chinese bikes:

Brixton Cromwell
Hanway Raw
Sinnis Bomber
Zontes Rocketman
Lexmoto Tempest

All about the same price, all similar looks. Anything to absolutely avoid?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Those all look like the fake names in an unlicensed soccer game.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Slavvy posted:

That's an amazing summary.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Yep can't unsee that now

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Zontes Rocketman pitching, Bobson Dugnutt up to bat...

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

Tiger 1050. Sits up tall like a trailie but is on road only so idiots in aerostitch wont drive up the price. Great motor and not much to go wrong. Plus it's got a huge aftermarket so you can put whatever you want on it. I'm biased because it's been my main ride for the last 10 years but I've enjoyed every mile.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

And so this isn't a completely unhelpful conversation: I present the only mention of lexmoto I've seen and, implicitly, my endorsement of the lexmoto:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xDfWrt7C2c

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Slavvy posted:

I see you

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Tag ur self I’m for sure Scott Dourque

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
i've always been Sleve McDichael

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

Arson Daily posted:

Tiger 1050. Sits up tall like a trailie but is on road only so idiots in aerostitch wont drive up the price. Great motor and not much to go wrong. Plus it's got a huge aftermarket so you can put whatever you want on it. I'm biased because it's been my main ride for the last 10 years but I've enjoyed every mile.

Hey gently caress you I wear an aerostitch! Actually I'm looking at a Sprint ST this week, I assume same engine, anything I should look out for?

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

Slavvy posted:

And so this isn't a completely unhelpful conversation: I present the only mention of lexmoto I've seen and, implicitly, my endorsement of the lexmoto:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xDfWrt7C2c

Yeah I wouldn’t trust any from from 44T, like most bike journalist they are spoiled rotten by Aprilia and Ducati with sunny Italian country side rides and RSV4’s and getting their dicks sucked, so their perspective is akin to a European trust fund kid , entertaining, but heavily skewed.

Not that those bikes are not poo poo but, honestly, don’t trust anything they say.

I agree, I’d rather save up and get a CB250R / CB12R instead of the Chinese 125 clones, my weird love for Benellis not withstanding.

I still don’t get why Yamaha won’t release the XSR155 in Europe with ABS, seems Like the perfect commuter learner stylish bike.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Wait isn’t “Baron Von Grumble” legitimately trust fund kid?

I like 44T content fwiw and find the budget bike battle series they do loving hilarious, but uhhh I’m not sure how much any bike ‘journalist’ is really to be listened to? I generally see most vehicle ‘journalism’ to be entertainment first and foremost.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I mean, I would expect spoiled Ducati riding trust fund motorcycle journos to be biased AGAINST the Chinese bike, if anything.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.

TheBacon posted:

Wait isn’t “Baron Von Grumble” legitimately trust fund kid?

I like 44T content fwiw and find the budget bike battle series they do loving hilarious, but uhhh I’m not sure how much any bike ‘journalist’ is really to be listened to? I generally see most vehicle ‘journalism’ to be entertainment first and foremost.

John Hogan from Bikeworld, Ari/Zack and RyanF9 seem to be only ones that come to mind when I think about who straddles that fine line between entertainment and “real” bike journalism. Specially John, he makes a point to review outside of the glitzy bike launches.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

In addition to people already named, I kinda like TheMissendenFlyer reviews. He tends to have more dadbike reviews on his channel than most other youtubers.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ok clearly I wasn't obvious enough but: Chinese bikes are terrible beyond belief, only buy one if you consider it a totally expendable, disposable way to ride a bike for 6-12 months.

Journalistic reviews are all worthless, unless some journalist started actually buying the bikes he reviews.

E: fine I'm Mike Truk.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 27, 2020

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I'm Bobson Dugnutt

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

mulligan posted:

John Hogan from Bikeworld, Ari/Zack and RyanF9 seem to be only ones that come to mind when I think about who straddles that fine line between entertainment and “real” bike journalism. Specially John, he makes a point to review outside of the glitzy bike launches.

I like Ari/Zack and Ryan but I don’t know John, I’ll have to check him out, thanks!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

cakesmith handyman posted:

Oh I agree but at 55k miles and tens of learners how many services has it had missed or bungled, what's been twisted or bent that I won't know about, how old are the tyres, what's nearing the end of its life that I won't know about until it splits or snaps?

I get the benefits of buying a solid old Honda but there's also a decent chance it's a knackered old Honda.

Talking about Chinese bikes:

Brixton Cromwell
Hanway Raw
Sinnis Bomber
Zontes Rocketman
Lexmoto Tempest

All about the same price, all similar looks. Anything to absolutely avoid?

Lexmoto are owned by a UK dealer chain whose name I'm completely blanking on at the moment and are rebadged Sinnis bikes. I've heard good things about both but always with the inevitable "...for a Chinese bike" disclaimer.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Ok clearly I wasn't obvious enough but: Chinese bikes are terrible beyond belief, only buy one if you consider it a totally expendable, disposable way to ride a bike for 6-12 months.

Journalistic reviews are all worthless, unless some journalist started actually buying the bikes he reviews.

E: fine I'm Mike Truk.

My neighbor is shopping for a 600 for his wife next week and he's going to take me along so hopefully he's the voice of reason and I don't come back with a Dongshame Earthquake or Honka landslag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
They're not ideal as your one and only source of transportation, but if you want to practice wrenching then a Chinese 125 is hard to beat; parts are cheap, and it'll give you an opportunity to fix something new every week :v: