Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

genericnick posted:

Also being used to heavy physical work is probably a plus.

Meat packing workers aren't exactly 20 year old fit people, lots of them seem to be 50+ and/or fat. They also appear to work in what is basically full PPE, so if they got it on the factory floor all hope is lost for our little cloth masks. Apparently there's a good chance they caught it in canteens or housing though.

Enjoy some meat factory vibes in this old Doku:
https://youtu.be/SSKpAxEa0Co

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
In the same exact spirit as you sent your message:

gently caress you too.

Also, nice of you to unterschlag that i pretty much immediately accepted additional info and down-corrected without making a fuss.

Mithaldu posted:

RKI doesn't publish an age breakdown so i took the german mortality rate number.

If i look at the numbers from other countries, ok, i guess the mortality rate then indicates an expected 2-3 deaths.

But: To be fair, it is you.

Mithaldu fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Jul 27, 2020

Peggotty
May 9, 2014

happyphage posted:

Yeah, using this as indicative of the population as a whole would be a good example of sampling bias

The question was literally "Does this give us new data about how dangerous covid is with current treatment options and relatively healthy patients?"

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

To be fair, that it does, and new treatments have been found to reduce mortality.

Otoh it was also found that covid attacks tissues and organs all over the body, resulting in month-long recoveries and lasting damage.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Actually, I haven't been on top of the Tönnie story at all. Wasn't it initially reported that there was an issue with tracking down all contract workers? Or am I mixing up several incidents?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

genericnick posted:

Actually, I haven't been on top of the Tönnie story at all. Wasn't it initially reported that there was an issue with tracking down all contract workers? Or am I mixing up several incidents?
That is also correct, a good amount of the foreign workers had already left the region, and Tönnies didn't have personal data of employees of subcontractor companies. I didn't follow up on how that shook out tho either.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

:yikes:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Eh, still 5,954,800 short

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Goddamn, dühde

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Just assuming that this reflects the fact that Germany are commemorating this disastrous crime against humanity and taking lessons from it, and nothing else. I trust in this see no need to verifying by checking it out on Twitter

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lord Stimperor posted:

Just assuming that this reflects the fact that Germany are commemorating this disastrous crime against humanity and taking lessons from it, and nothing else. I trust in this see no need to verifying by checking it out on Twitter

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

Lord Stimperor posted:

"that Germans are" or "that Germany is" or "that the people of Germany are".

We might even raise a point about using "that crime" and not "this crime", since "this" indicates proximity, which might be taken as the trend beeing the crime.

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 27, 2020

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wipfmetz posted:

"that Germans are" or "that Germany is" or "that the people of Germany are".

a grammar nazi in the German thread, you love to see it

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Wipfmetz posted:

We might even raise a point about using "that crime" and not "this crime", since "this" indicates proximity, which might be taken as the trend beeing the crime.

It's actually spelled 'being' and not 'beeing', op

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

oliwan posted:

a grammar nazi in the German thread, you love to see it

:hai:

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

oliwan posted:

It's actually spelled 'being' and not 'beeing', op
:suicide101:

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

I can’t beelieve it

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

no you see the crime was committed by the bees

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

How many Neugeborene do you think are being named Herbert in tyool 2020? It's kind of a chill name.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

aphid_licker posted:

How many Neugeborene do you think are being named Herbert in tyool 2020? It's kind of a chill name.

beliebte-vornamen.de posted:

Von 2006 bis 2018 wurde Herbert ungefähr 40 Mal als erster Vorname vergeben.

I agree, but it doesn’t look good, I’m afraid

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Why would you show me this

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

pidan posted:

Meat packing workers aren't exactly 20 year old fit people, lots of them seem to be 50+ and/or fat. They also appear to work in what is basically full PPE, so if they got it on the factory floor all hope is lost for our little cloth masks. Apparently there's a good chance they caught it in canteens or housing though.

Enjoy some meat factory vibes in this old Doku:
https://youtu.be/SSKpAxEa0Co

I'll just repost my summary from the Coronavirus thread of a study that came out a few days ago:

One of the larger outbreaks/superspreading events here in Germany was in a meat processing plant with more than 1500 cases being caused. A first preprint has now come out looking at it in some detail.

As people had pretty fixed working places on the processing line, they were apparently able to reconstruct the spread from the first the first case quite well.

Some highlights:

Investigation of a superspreading event preceding the largest meat processing plant-related SARS-Coronavirus 2 outbreak in Germany posted:

We describe a cluster of SARS-CoV-2 transmission in a meat processing plant that originated from a worker who had self-reported previous contact with potentially SARS-CoV-2 infected persons from another meat processing plant. Analyzing housing and commuting parameters along with spatial and climate conditions in the work area, this study provides evidence that transmission occurred over a radius of at least 8 meters around the index case, within a work area where meat is processed at temperatures around 10°C. [...] Physical work and relatively low fresh air exchange rates together with continuous re-circulation of cooled air may have favored the transmission of SARS-CoV-2 in the investigated work setting.

Two days later (Fig. 1B), two MPP-R [this meat processing plant] workers from the early shift (referred to as cases B1 and B2 in the following) reported to the management of having had a brief contact with employees from MPP-D [another meat processing plant that had had 94 out of 279 workers test positive] (D1 and D2 in the following) on d0, both of whom had received positive test results later that day (Fig. 1A). Cases B1 and B2 reported to have no symptoms.

B1 and B2 were tested in the company’s test center three days after the encounter (Fig. 1B). Because the contact with MPP-D workers was not classified as high risk, both continued to work. On the fourth day following the encounter, B1 and B2 received positive test results. [turnaround time of a single day!]

Indeed, subsequent serial testing by health authorities performed a month after the initial encounter identified more than 1,400 positive cases, constituting the largest outbreak in a German meat processing facility seen thus far.

Combined, the eight mutations therefore represent a novel sub-branch within the 20C clade that defines the prototypical viral genome signature of the infection cluster (submitted to GISAID, accession number 476705, strain id NRW-MPP-1). Whereas the B1 sequence is an exact prototype representative, we find an additional nucleotide exchange at 100% frequency (C7735T) in B2. The fact that this mutation is absent from the other samples rules out B2 as a possible source of the cluster with near certainty. [...] Taken together, these observations suggest prototype virus transmission by B1 as the common source of infection in the cluster. [so only one of the workers actually acted as a spreader]

Given the above, we investigated potential transmission routes between the suspected index case B1 and the other employees within the cluster. The universal point of potential contact among all cases was work in the early shift of the beef processing plant. The shift comprises 147 individuals, most of whom work at fixed positions in a conveyor-belt processing line. The processing line occupies an elongated area approximately 32 meters (m) long and 8.5 m wide (see floor plan in supplementary Fig. S1A). Quarters of beef enter at one end of the line (referred to as proximal in the following) and are processed as they move in longitudinal direction across the room, until cuts are finally packaged near the far end of the line (referred to as distal in the following). Eight air conditioning units placed near the ceiling in the proximal half of the room constantly cool the air. Fans project the air in a lateral direction, either directly from frontal openings in the unit or via perforated hoses mounted underneath the ceiling (see schematics in Figs. S1A-C), effectively sectioning the room into zones in which air is perpetually recirculated.

While data protection regulations do not allow us to indicate the precise position of the suspected index case, we can disclose that the individual occupied a fixed station within the proximal half of the room. Fig. 3A furthermore indicates the position of 86 employees relative to the suspected index case, along with test results and (where available) viral genotypes (see Table S1 for details). These 86 individuals include all employees with fixed work positions in the proximal half of the processing line (n=56), 22 employees with fixed work stations in adjoining areas, and estimated average location of 8 employees who typically move around the room during the shift (marked with an asterisk in Fig. 3A).

The map in Fig. 3A immediately suggests a spatial relationship between the location of the suspected index case and the SARS-CoV2 positive workers.
[Fig 3A:]

As shown in the distance matrix in Fig. 3B (see also Supplementary Table S2), the probability for spatial overrepresentation of positive cases is highly significant and reaches a maximum (p-val 2.33E-05) within a radius of 8 m (referred to as 8m area hereafter; note that while the 8m maximum reflects statistical significance of overrepresentation, infection rates per se are higher in closer proximity to the index case).
[Fig3B]

In addition to work area locations, we were provided with information on apartments (n=11), bedrooms (n=16) and carpools (n=9) shared among workers from the early shift. In Fig. 3C, we show a statistical overrepresentation analysis of positive cases in shared units (see supplementary material for additional information). The 8m area around the index case is shown for comparison. Positive rates were statistically significant only for a single shared apartment and associated carpool (a1 and c3), and a shared bedroom (r5). The fact that 5 of 7 members in a1/c3, and 2 out of 3 members in r5 have fixed work stations within the 8m area (Supplementary Table S3), however, suggests that high infection rates in these units primarily reflect the number of group members who work in close proximity of the index case, rather than resulting from independent infection chains within the units themselves.
[Fig 3C]

Hence, while some secondary infections may have occurred within apartments, bedrooms or carpools, our collective data strongly suggest that the majority of transmissions occurred within the beef processing facility, with case B1 being at the root of the cluster.

Discussion
Our results collectively point towards a superspreading event in the MPP-R beef processing plant that originated from a single employee. Our findings suggest that the facilities’ environmental conditions, including low temperature, low air exchange rates, and constant air recircularization, together with relatively close distance between workers and demanding physical work, created an unfavorable mix of factors promoting efficient aerosol transmission of SARS-CoV-2 particles. It is very likely that these or similar factors are also responsible for current worldwide ongoing outbreaks in other meat or fish processing facilities.

In contrast to work-related exposure, shared apartments, bedrooms, or carpools appear not to have played a major role in the initial outbreak described in this study. Nevertheless, later viral transmission within shared living quarters or work rides very well may have been a confounding factor in context of the second, larger outbreak occurring one month after the first outbreak.

TLDR:
The biggest superspreading event in Germany was caused by a single worker in a meat processing plant infecting people up to 8 meters away because of a combination of low temperatures and constant air recircularization. So far more than 1500 cases have been directly linked to this. Fig 3A is the new air conditioning in a restaurant picture.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

aphid_licker posted:

Not unless you plan for your son to ever get laid in life

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

GABA ghoul posted:

Not unless you plan for your son to ever get laid in life

What if I make a girl named Herbert

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

There‘s the female variant Herberta, just saying

e: there’s even an asteroid named for it!

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

:captainpop:

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

DTurtle posted:

TLDR:
The biggest superspreading event in Germany was caused by a single worker in a meat processing plant infecting people up to 8 meters away because of a combination of low temperatures and constant air recircularization. So far more than 1500 cases have been directly linked to this. Fig 3A is the new air conditioning in a restaurant picture.

I find this study questionable. How did they not mention at all the substandard living conditions the workers were in, or the cantina video ? Maybe workers on the same shift together were eating together as well, were being transported in to small vans to their homes together ?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

German twitter got a new main character for the day:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
It's amazing how utterly poo poo twitter is.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Perestroika posted:

what is that dude taking about :psyduck:

AndreTheGiantBoned
Oct 28, 2010
He mistook Fahr-Spur-Ende for Farhrspurende, as in Flüchtende or Lehrende

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

:hmmyes:

oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Using "links-grün" as an insult just blows my loving mind. like, what has grün even to do with it?

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

Perestroika posted:

when a German politician from Berlin tags an Austrian news broadcast and an American video game streaming platform in a tweet about a wildly misunderstood local news story from Brandenburg

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Perestroika posted:

lmao

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Perestroika posted:

lmao and of course he's doubling down:

https://twitter.com/AfDLindemann/status/1287900297931759624

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/herbstgeraschel/status/1287971944885780480

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Is he really doubling down about the existence or non-existence of the concept of compound words? Is this what we do now, as a nation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

GABA ghoul posted:

Is he really doubling down about the existence or non-existence of the concept of compound words? Is this what we do now, as a nation?

Yes. Clearly the Duden is a complete list of all possible German words.