Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
I have an idea that I like a lot, but has probably been done before. It takes place in space, where everything is spread out throughout the galaxy, but otherwise it's pure classical fantasy. Imagine a stereotypical robed wizard flying a rickety spaceship, which is powered by magic instead of fuel, fires magic missiles instead of lasers, and jumps between systems with teleportation magic... starports with taverns very much like standard fantasy taverns, except they're orbiting strange worlds... A ranger docking his ship at a dwarven gold mine, which is embedded in a huge asteroid in an asteroid belt... Elves in ornate green ships tracking silver space dragons through rainbow nebulas... Etc

Trying to Google the concept and I can't find anything quite like it... There are lots of fantasy sci fi settings that lean towards fantasy, but can anyone think of a game very similar to this?

Also: is it a good idea??? I love this as a pitch but I dunno! It might be hard to articulate the mix of fantasy and sci fi I'm aiming for without some good promo art.

Polo-Rican fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanglorian
Apr 13, 2013

Games, games, games

Polo-Rican posted:

I have an idea that I like a lot, but has probably been done before. It takes place in space, where everything is spread out throughout the galaxy, but otherwise it's pure classical fantasy. Imagine a stereotypical robed wizard flying a rickety spaceship, which is powered by magic instead of fuel, fires magic missiles instead of lasers, and jumps between systems with teleportation magic... starports with taverns very much like standard fantasy taverns, except they're orbiting strange worlds... A ranger docking his ship at a dwarven gold mine, which is embedded in a huge asteroid in an asteroid belt... Elves in ornate green ships tracking silver space dragons through rainbow nebulas... Etc

Trying to Google the concept and I can't find anything quite like it... There are lots of fantasy sci fi settings that lean towards fantasy, but can anyone think of a game very similar to this?

Also: is it a good idea??? I love this as a pitch but I dunno! It might be hard to articulate the mix of fantasy and sci fi I'm aiming for without some good promo art.

Are you familiar with Spelljammer? From your description it seems pretty close: http://www.spelljammer.org/misc/whatissj.html

Not that you couldn't do something new with it, of course - but I'd start by taking a look at how Spelljammer did things.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Sanglorian posted:

Are you familiar with Spelljammer? From your description it seems pretty close: http://www.spelljammer.org/misc/whatissj.html

Not that you couldn't do something new with it, of course - but I'd start by taking a look at how Spelljammer did things.

No, I haven't heard of Spelljammer! It sounds very much like what I'm imagining... But it's a good sign that the closest thing is from 1990. I'll see if I can find a copy... Thanks!!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Spelljammer was a great concept that was crudely beaten with rocks until it fit in an AD&D shaped hole. Look at the art and some of the fluff writing from it and ignore literally every single mechanic except maybe the ship-specific gravity plane thing which is really just a tremendously overwrought way of saying "gravity on spaceships works pretty much how you'd expect it to if this were a cartoon".

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Spelljammer was a great concept that was crudely beaten with rocks until it fit in an AD&D shaped hole. Look at the art and some of the fluff writing from it and ignore literally every single mechanic except maybe the ship-specific gravity plane thing which is really just a tremendously overwrought way of saying "gravity on spaceships works pretty much how you'd expect it to if this were a cartoon".

I think you've just described every AD&D 2e setting except Greyhawk, Mystara, and the Forgotten Realms.

sasha_d3ath
Jun 3, 2016

Ban-thing the man-things.
https://twitter.com/TheEldritchTomb/status/1282792855682121728

THE TIME HAS COME.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Cross-posting from the main chat thread:

UnCO3 posted:

I just released Bodyworks, a new game where you use the board game Operation (and physical darkness) to roleplay as a duo of overworked body-snatchers in a grim and bizarre alternate London! Some further facts:
  • it's for 2 players (the sort who want to pretend to be body-snatchers in weird London)
  • it has community copies
  • you use household clutter (tools of the body-snatching trade) and invented slang while extracting body parts (from the Operation board)
  • it's a 1-page mini-zine game—that means it's got 8 pages that you can fold into a booklet after printing it on one sheet of A4 (see these instructions)
  • it's also got a bunch more formats: digital spreads, A5 zine print-friendly versions, and readability-adjusted versions, plus a .txt file for screen readers
Here's the launch tweet—RTs very welcome:
https://twitter.com/SpeaktheSky/status/1283246018637836288
I still need to figure out an easy way to convert a pdf into a minizine, though (right now my only option is to import the file into GIMP in singles and position them all properly for a mini-zine, which is... okay, but not ideal).

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Just posted a financial postmortem of my Zinequest project here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/179941520/sunlands-a-hexcrawl-zine/posts/2898109

Long story short, the guy who told me I needed to raise my prices was right. Consider me justly chastised.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The main shipment of Budding Heroes finally arrived from overseas, so I made a dedicated thread it as opposed to making occasional posts in various dev threads. I know a lot of people just focus on their bookmarks, so I wanted to post a link to it here - https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3933979

I'd love any feedback/questions over there, and I'm trying to compile a list of reviewers to send the game to, so shoot me a PM if you have any ideas. Also, my SO and I are big board game geeks, so I'd be happy to trade a copy of my game for any of the ones in this thread!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

If this isn't okay let me know and i'll edit it out, but my local game store is trying to into publishing and have are looking for submissions.

http://sapphirecitygames.com/submissions

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

garbage man from a garbage can

Len posted:

If this isn't okay let me know and i'll edit it out, but my local game store is trying to into publishing and have are looking for submissions.

http://sapphirecitygames.com/submissions

I submitted one of my designs, and already got an email back asking for more information on the game I pitched. Crossing my fingers for more!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Frozen Peach posted:

I submitted one of my designs, and already got an email back asking for more information on the game I pitched. Crossing my fingers for more!

It's on the public discord but here's what he's said about it there

quote:

It's a currently self-published light deduction/trick-taking game someone submitted and Jes and I enjoyed, they made a TTS mod for it as well.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Len posted:

It's on the public discord but here's what he's said about it there

Didn't know they had a public discord. Joined!

Also last night I got the first fully printed prototype for White Hat in the mail. I've been doing piecemeal orders of bits and parts, but this is the first full order I've placed. It turned out amazing.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Hell yeah, congrats to each of you!

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Frozen Peach posted:

Also last night I got the first fully printed prototype for White Hat in the mail. I've been doing piecemeal orders of bits and parts, but this is the first full order I've placed. It turned out amazing.

A game about hacking!? Where can I learn more!?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

LatwPIAT posted:

A game about hacking!? Where can I learn more!?

https://whitehat.games/

Currently looking for publishers, but it's on TTS and I try to keep the rules on my site and the TTS mod updated with the latest changes.

The basic idea is that you're a team of hackers at a hacking competition, competing to beat the other teams to finding and patching vulnerabilities on your computers. It's action selection/worker placement where workers get better at a task the longer they spend up it (up to a point), but you often need to shift gears and change what hackers are doing, which make them start over on the other tasks if they go back later. There's also an engine building mechanic where you upgrade your computer so you can run more software on it so you can patch vulnerabilities faster.

It's super fun and I love it. Currently tweaking end game scoring but it's really close to a finished design.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Frozen Peach posted:

The basic idea is that you're a team of hackers at a hacking competition, competing to beat the other teams to finding and patching vulnerabilities on your computers. It's action selection/worker placement where workers get better at a task the longer they spend up it (up to a point), but you often need to shift gears and change what hackers are doing, which make them start over on the other tasks if they go back later. There's also an engine building mechanic where you upgrade your computer so you can run more software on it so you can patch vulnerabilities faster.

It's super fun and I love it. Currently tweaking end game scoring but it's really close to a finished design.

Cool! I'm trying to read as many tabletop games about hacking as possible so I can spear my white whale: actually good hacking for a cyberpunk RPG.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Frozen Peach posted:

As you've seen it's a friendly place! There was a near-chud at one point but he left back in March after disagreeing with the politics channel.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

Finished my first pitch of GenCon this morning and it went really well. The publisher wants to actually play my game over the next week and will get back to me, which is a huge step. Really exciting.

If you want to watch me make an rear end of myself, I'll be on the Shark Tank event hosted by White Wizard Games at 1pm EDT Sunday. Should be streamed to https://twitch.tv/whitewizardgames

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
https://twitter.com/SpeaktheSky/status/1289694538257186816
I'm running another game jam, though this one isn't games—it's Trophy Dark incursions in trifold format! The stakes are low (read: there aren't any) and there's a bit of randomisation, plus it's very short form (a typical incursion can easily run to about 4 times the length of this). Here's a thread in the jam forum that summarises a bunch of help, examples, and advice for people who don't know much about writing incursions or designing for Trophy. You can also ask questions there or here (or on the official Trophy discord—ask and I'll see if I can get an invite link). Overall I think this is pretty beginner-friendly, and you're encouraged to license and price your work as you see fit.

The list of Themes to pick from will be revealed on the 8th of August, so it's just anticipation-building (and learning about Trophy if you're new to it) until then.

EDIT: And I've now published a free set of trifold pamphlet templates for Word (and OpenOffice and LibreOffice), Affinity Publisher, and Googledocs. They're nothing fancy, but I had some people ask for them on twitter.

UnCO3 fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Aug 2, 2020

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I wrote a short and extremely-not-rules-y storytelling game.

https://twitter.com/ChipsMinimum/status/1290228510842183682

Free or pay what you want here: https://minimum-chips.itch.io/he-fell-among-us

Next up unless something else distracts me, Just In Time a longer, pbta based game about social media, the collapse of society, and high speed militarised pizza delivery.

Are we currently allowed to cross post this kind of thing elsewhere in this subforum?

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Congrats! I usually crosspost releases to the general chat thread.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

So I got a bit of a weird email this morning...

quote:

Hi there,

I'm [REDACTED] with W.R.K.S Games, an indie game dev based out of London. I came across your product looking through indies and wanted to discuss a business opportunity with you. We at W.R.K.S are striving to create a better ecosystem for indies. Two of the major issues plaguing indies today are the difficulty of discovery and platforms taking giant chunks from revenue.

We want to change that. Coming mid-July/early August, W.R.K.S Games will be launching a new platform strictly for indie teams. The W.R.K.S Store will only be taking £1 per unit sold allowing indies to price more fairly and turn a profit for their next project. Additionally, we won't be hosting any AAA games, so you won't be lost in the noise of big corporations buying all the promotions.

I would love to discuss you becoming one of our launch partners. If you're interested, please reach out to me here, so we may set up a call to go into more details about the platform and what we offer.

As far as I can tell, this is a real company, despite sounding like a scam. They have a single video game on Steam that's an also-ran Witcher-alike, and a tabletop RPG set in the same world that they're selling at £19 for a 140-page PDF, which is to my eye massively overpriced. But they only sell it through their own website, not DTRPG or itch. And yet they want to start a "new platform for indie teams".

Never mind that I haven't released anything in years (my indie stuff is strictly muse-dependent), their cut of "only" £1 per unit is a bigger chunk than DTRPG takes on any of my games, because I price things relatively low. And just lol at the idea that a totally unknown publisher selling two things total can solve the so-called "difficulty of discovery" problem. I get more discovery by posting here than I'll get in years from this thing.

Add to that, their "London-based" game dev still has a US phone number despite being hired 18 months ago according to social media and it's setting off my scam-sense something fierce. And yet right now I can't figure out what the scam actually is. They get no benefit from having my name attached except possibly to claim that their launch partners are real rather than invented.

Needless to say I'm referring to the reply given in Arkell vs. Pressdram but wanted to bring it to the thread's attention in case I've missed something.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
I mean... the launch date is "mid July/early August" which is pretty much already in the past.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Ha! I hadn't even noticed that.

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
Trophy Trifolds is go, and the Themes are now available:
https://twitter.com/SpeaktheSky/status/1292053173834784769

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Finally sat down to concentrate on making the sell sheet for my game, how does this look? https://www.buddingheroes.com/pdf/sellsheet.pdf

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

I have a publishing offer on the table! Can't talk about, and don't want to talk about, the details until I have an actual contract in my hands, but that should be happening in the next week. Walking Doggos is going to have a slightly new theme and brand new artwork. An artist is already in talks with the publisher and I'm incredibly excited for how fast everything is moving along.

I can't wait to be able to share more!

Sentient Data posted:

Finally sat down to concentrate on making the sell sheet for my game, how does this look? https://www.buddingheroes.com/pdf/sellsheet.pdf

Pretty good start! I'd make it a little less wordy, and use the space regained to add some more space between sections. Every paragraph extols the virtues of it being easy to learn and pickup and play with no prior experience, which is a bit much.

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

Frozen Peach posted:

I have a publishing offer on the table! Can't talk about, and don't want to talk about, the details until I have an actual contract in my hands, but that should be happening in the next week. Walking Doggos is going to have a slightly new theme and brand new artwork. An artist is already in talks with the publisher and I'm incredibly excited for how fast everything is moving along.

Congrats!

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
I just published NO FEAR, a Trophy Trifolds! jam incursion for Trophy Dark! It's about a team of expert climbers hunting for the body of a wealthy mountaineer for the hefty payout from his relatives. The only problem is, he disappeared on a the unknown tallest mountain on earth, a deadly spire with a mile-high Death Zone to its peak (that is, the final mile to the summit is above the altitude where the air no longer has enough oxygen for you to breathe). So, you might die to the mountain... or you might die to what's on the mountain.
https://twitter.com/SpeaktheSky/status/1296063237792960512
You can see the front side in the tweet and on the game page for a preview (but most of the incursion is on the back).

Frozen Peach posted:

Congratulations!

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I was challenged by a friend to write a game in a single day and not make it black and white this time, so here is my one day, one session, two page game in vivid colour. "Who's Gonna Throw The Toilet", about a band of useless punks trying to make it to the stage.

Free download: https://minimum-chips.itch.io/whos-gonna-throw-the-toilet

weso12
Nov 19, 2014

Lurker, Sims 3 LPer, Bored College Student
I posted in another thread (that i think is defunct now that I double check), about my game where everyone has a "Blessing" (a supernatural advantage) and a "Curse" (a symbolically or practically related weakness). The characters you play are from a very structured and orderly society and are a military squad that deals with Monsters, Runaway criminals and rebellions (yes that last one is suppose to be kind of messed up), that Curses are free form blessings are not you take a base blessing and modify it to create the exact specifics of what you want and use your left over points on non Powered Perks. I made a list of Blessings that might be appropriate for a character who would be assigned a military squad. Note that some these are only included as to be secondary aspects of your blessing

What I'm namely curious about is that their blessings here that are obviously missing that would be appropriate for a Combat squad IF you don't try to over think it (Like Flight would probably more useful outside of combat if you think hard enough, but I want people to be choose thing that are classic super powers that aren't too out of place on a squad like this). Because this list seems kind of short, and I kind of want to cover as much as possible that still logically is "combat" (If your curious I took inspiration from the GURPS 4e basic set, which I have no intensions of being as complex seemed like a good reference point for such things)

Here is the list:
Adaptive Transformation
Alternate Form
Binding
Body Melee Weapon
Disease/Poison Resistance/Immunity (Only as a secondary)
Draining
Durability
Enhancing (aka Buffs)
Flight
Force Field
Growing
Heal Wounds
Intangibility
Limited Teleportation (Must be either short distance or self only (or both), long distance group teleportation is something that would be too obviously useful elsewhere)
MInd Block (Only as a secondary)
Mental Injection
Passive Reality Manipulation
Plant Growth/Manipulation
Object Summoning
Ranged Attack
Sabotage (Debuffs)
Specific Damage Resistance/Immunity (Only as a secondary)
Stretching
Summoning
Super Senses (Only as a secondary)
Super Strength
Super Speed
Telekinesis

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

DigitalRaven posted:

they're selling at £19 for a 140-page PDF, which is to my eye massively overpriced.

By market standard, maybe, but tabletop roleplaying games are ridiculously underpriced, so if anything more people should charge £20 for 100 pages.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

LatwPIAT posted:

By market standard, maybe, but tabletop roleplaying games are ridiculously underpriced, so if anything more people should charge £20 for 100 pages.

You're right, and I have ranted copiously on that topic in the past, but when trying to position themselves as having the first loving clue about the market they're trying to break into it is not a good sign.

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

I officially got signed!!!!! I'm so excited! Coming to a Kickstarter near you in the near future!

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Frozen Peach posted:

I officially got signed!!!!! I'm so excited! Coming to a Kickstarter near you in the near future!

Congrats! How many miniatures does it come with?!

I'm real glad you and James were able to work something out, he and Jess are real good people

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice
There's an incredible ongoing jam on RPG resources on itch, including contributions by people from here! It's the TTRPG Resource Jam and I recommend giving it a look. I put in a couple things myself: a set of trifold pamphlets templates (for Affinity, Word, and Googledocs), plus Dicey, a pair of d6 fonts with a bunch of extra features. The jam's got a mix of templates, technical guides, advice, and other resources like fonts, and it's definitely worth trawling through for resources relevant to your own stuff.

-

Plus, cross-posting this from the KS thread:

UnCO3 posted:

So for the first time I'm involved in a KS: the upcoming Alchemy anthology of incursions for Trophy Dark! Trophy's a system for heavily-themed dark fantasy eco-gothic dungeoncrawls/treasure-hunts that takes elements from Cthulhu Dark and Blades in the Dark, and Trophy Dark is the original one-shot version where your characters will probably betray each other and/or get maimed or killed or suffer a fate worse than death.

Cold Hearth Collective is a group of Trophy writers working on the official release who've decided to get together as a loose group to collectively sell stuff, and they're putting together an anthology of Trophy Dark incursions with some guest contributors, including me! All the entries are themed around the idea of alchemy in some way—in my case, well, see below.

The KS opens tomorrow (give or take for timezones), and you'll be able to see more details on each incursion then, but for now, here's the bare bones of mine:
The stuff I've already released for Trophy is The Paperflesh Advent, an incursion of desperate alchemists seeking immortality through industrial production of mellified man, and NO FEAR, a trifold pamphlet featuring a body-hunt expedition up the side of an undiscovered mountain. My entry for the anthology is gonna be, uh, a little different.

[ship, see deets in the KS thread]

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
how do you guys do "monsters" and what makes someone a "monster" to you?

Frozen Peach
Aug 25, 2004

My game officially has an artist! Apparently we're even going to have preliminary sketches next week!

Lauren Brown is amazing. She did the art for the recent Kickstarter project Deck of Wonders, and I'm so excited someone that amazing is going to be drawing amazing doggos for me. :dance:

http://www.labillustration.com/gallery/516010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UnCO3
Feb 11, 2010

Ye gods!

College Slice

Frozen Peach posted:

My game officially has an artist! Apparently we're even going to have preliminary sketches next week!

[snip]
Congrats!

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

how do you guys do "monsters" and what makes someone a "monster" to you?
Is this for anyone to answer or someone specific?

-

Cross-posting a newly-published Trophy Dark incursion from the chat thread:

UnCO3 posted:

I've just published The Impostrous Emissariat, an incursion* for Trophy Dark** about treasure hunters seeking a mystical wellspring said to grant perfect revelations, hidden across a metastatic labyrinth under a lonely chapel—but it was lost long ago, swallowed up by an ancient and malevolent forest. In the ages since, the labyrinth has festered, and doppelgängers and other twisted possibilities now stalk its halls. The scenario takes you into the forest, through the sinister parish, and under the earth... then you meet the doppelgängers, and then things escalate in disturbing directions.

It's available on itch, plus there's a bundle where you can grab both The Impostrous Emissariat and my first incursion, The Paperflesh Advent, at a total of 33% off.

*scenario
**for those that don't know, Trophy Dark is a rules-light game of dark fantasy and psychological horror about doomed treasure-hunting expeditions into a vast, sinister, and ancient forest, and the motivations and conflicts that bubble to the surface in the wilderness

Here's the launch tweet if anyone has a moment to RT