Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

a fatguy baldspot posted:

those portraits are incredible, they've inspired me to actually try the monarch challenges. can i go back and do all the ones i've missed? which ones are particularly worth it?

The Wallachia one is super easy to do. I got two golds and a silver while being screwed by the HRE tributarying everything west of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

You should throw it in the ocean.

Technowolf posted:

The Wallachia one is super easy to do. I got two golds and a silver while being screwed by the HRE tributarying everything west of me.

Oh, that reminds me--the Armenia one was bugged when I did it and I got credit for 75 years independent after swearing fealty to the neighbor to the north on Anatolia. You can slowly take over counties/duchies from within to get the 8 provinces for the points, and for Mongols liking you I invited a bunch of Mongols to court and bribed them after getting the other 2 golds for an easy 3rd.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

For the Wallachian challenge, what's the best way to get the Impaler trait?

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

DrPop posted:

For the Wallachian challenge, what's the best way to get the Impaler trait?

Do Intrigue focus stuff

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Wow those are some impressive neck buboes!

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

The North Tower posted:

Arwa Sulayhid, Sultana of Yemen was pretty easy to get 2 of the 3 goals (the survive 100 years one has been hard for me).

Remember, she doesn't start with all of Yemen and the count doesn't begin until she has it all.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Arbite posted:

Remember, she doesn't start with all of Yemen and the count doesn't begin until she has it all.

I’m able to get it, but then I get clobbered and lose independence :(

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The only problem I had with the Yemen one was getting out of speed 5 fast enough when stuff actually happened as I waited for 100 years to pass.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
I managed to get all of de jure Yemen together but forgot I had given the assassins a barony like 20 years before I next checked it. That kinda sucked.

Good to know about the free wallachia points. That should get me to the Joan of arc haircut.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.
With Gavelkind, can you land your brothers early to cut them out of the rest of the inheritance?

For example, I have a duchy I'm not going to try and take back, and I can see on of my heirs will get it when I die. If I give it to him now, is he good, or does he still get a piece of what is left when I die?

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Demon_Corsair posted:

With Gavelkind, can you land your brothers early to cut them out of the rest of the inheritance?

For example, I have a duchy I'm not going to try and take back, and I can see on of my heirs will get it when I die. If I give it to him now, is he good, or does he still get a piece of what is left when I die?

It can help in that you choose which territories they will receive (I like to give them counties in incongruous dutchies so they fight each other in the next generation), but they will still receive their 'fair' share upon current ruler death, IIRC.

Edit: you mentioned brothers--did you mean sons? Or is this an instance where you have no heir and the territories will go to your brothers after death?

You can also scurvy-scum if you have some real bad inheritors.

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jul 22, 2020

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I made some decisions that will probably bite in the rear end in a couple generations, (hello king of Finland that also owns the north of Sweden) but I was able to flip to agnatic-elective before my first Scandinavian Emperor died. However, I still get the title loss on succession popup. Shouldn't that go away because I'm no longer gavelkind?

edit: oh poo poo, is it because all the sub kingdoms are still gavelkind?

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jul 23, 2020

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Demon_Corsair posted:

I made some decisions that will probably bite in the rear end in a couple generations, (hello king of Finland that also owns the north of Sweden) but I was able to flip to agnatic-elective before my first Scandinavian Emperor died. However, I still get the title loss on succession popup. Shouldn't that go away because I'm no longer gavelkind?

Did you change the succession laws for all of your titles or just your top title?

quote:

edit: oh poo poo, is it because all the sub kingdoms are still gavelkind?

Yeah, that'll do it.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

That's some bullshit. Welp, time to go make some more friends.

e: Wonder how many achievements I can pack into this run. Already did Got Land, and will probably get the one from playing from the viking age to the end of the game.

Just noticed I have enough land to take the kingom of Frisia, so maybe I'll shoot for that one. And one of my vassals has already conquered most of the the UK. So hopefully I can get those even if they aren't my top level title.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jul 23, 2020

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

I take it back. No more expanding. Fighting a civil war in the UK, eastern Europe and Scandinavia is loving tedious. Shipping my army back and forth to play whack a mole against 10 different rebel armies for hours.

Think I'm going to cut a bunch of other kings loose and just hunker down with Scandinavia.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

e: wrong thread

Mantis42 fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 23, 2020

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
while incredibly awesome i can't help but wonder if i've missed a thread between that and CK2?

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Oops, I'm posting in too many threads at once.

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Dwesa posted:

I hope all those genes interacting won't slow down late game.

Yeah stellaris sort of crumples up like sauron when the super cross breeding happens. But CK3 will be more of a set up already piece and less of a "will it blend" type experiment, hopefully.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

I think I’m going to try one last 769-end ck2 game before ck3 comes out. Thinking Sri Lanka, make a merchant republic on the SW province and see if I can finally take over all of India. Haven’t conquered all of it as a Hindu ruler before for the achievement. General tips/advice as a mostly Catholic/Muslim player? Someone else I should start as, instead?

wit
Jul 26, 2011

The North Tower posted:

I think I’m going to try one last 769-end ck2 game before ck3 comes out. Thinking Sri Lanka, make a merchant republic on the SW province and see if I can finally take over all of India. Haven’t conquered all of it as a Hindu ruler before for the achievement. General tips/advice as a mostly Catholic/Muslim player? Someone else I should start as, instead?

I found people can't really generate enough asskissing power or don't use it till you can or do, so don't sweat the religious until you have enough clout to curry favour. I'd imagine totally depends on your neighbours in terms of advice.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:allears:

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I'm having a fun time well into the late 1200s with a Sultana Arwa of Yemen playthrough that I started (everyone should do that one if they haven't already, really fun ruler and situation).

Dealing with the Chinese has been mostly good but partially hellish. I successfully fought off one tributary war in the 1100s but the second came during the Black Death. I figured the plague would slow their armies but unfortunately they're immune to black death attrition or something. :( I got owned.

But then I managed to finally create an empire (the requirement of the Kingdom of Egypt to form Abyssinia really sucks) and fight back, and defeated their death stacks in Oman and Sindh. Now I'm back to independent.

I named my empire the Sublime Garden of Arwa and made the adjective Arwanid in recognition of the primogenitor :angel:

lol they declared war to re-subjugate me days after I took this screenshot. cool

DrPop fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 26, 2020

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Does Gavelkind need to be turned off at a duchy and county level? I have elective non-gavelkind inheritance at the empire and country level yet for some reason, all of a sudden my son is set to inherit everything below the king level title.

Does feudal always put duchies and counties in gavelkind or primogeniture?

Oddly enough this hasn't come up before, so maybe its because I have my brother voted in as my heir instead of any of my kids?

E: I'm starting to thing you cannot commission a smith to make armor. Every single time I have tried they run off with the money. Weapons and jewels? Never a problem. Armor smiths are apparently all loving cheats.

Looks like it was a display glitch. I got murdered and my designated heir got everything

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Jul 27, 2020

Fuzzy McDoom
Oct 9, 2007

-MORE MONEY FOR US

-FUCK...YOU KNOW, THE THING

Demon_Corsair posted:

Does Gavelkind need to be turned off at a duchy and county level? I have elective non-gavelkind inheritance at the empire and country level yet for some reason, all of a sudden my son is set to inherit everything below the king level title.

Does feudal always put duchies and counties in gavelkind or primogeniture?

Oddly enough this hasn't come up before, so maybe its because I have my brother voted in as my heir instead of any of my kids?

E: I'm starting to thing you cannot commission a smith to make armor. Every single time I have tried they run off with the money. Weapons and jewels? Never a problem. Armor smiths are apparently all loving cheats.

Looks like it was a display glitch. I got murdered and my designated heir got everything

If you're under an elective system you probably have one of two problems:

1) Some of your titles are elective but some are hereditary
2) All of your titles are elective but the electors (which are different pools for each title) are choosing different heirs

Since you are also an empire there is a third possibility that some of your lands are in different kingdoms and therefore under different kingdom laws.

In general, make sure in your laws tab to check on all the different titles that you can set laws for.

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

What should I be building in my demense? I usually throw in a second castle then fill out the rest with cities.

If I create a new barony, should I just keep it myself? Having more personal troops sure is nice.

E: Ugh, just got overthrown and busted back down to king. It's hard to find the motivation to claw my way back up again. It was my empire dammit. I founded it and kept it expanding for 200 years.

gently caress this game. 3 generations of rulers that don't make it to 30. Basically just a long rear end death spiral.

Demon_Corsair fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jul 27, 2020

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I think the thing to do is fill out as many holding spots in your capitol with baronies for the extra troops as possible. Keep two duchies worth of counties and the rest of your demense limit as baronies in your capitol.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Demon_Corsair posted:

What should I be building in my demense? I usually throw in a second castle then fill out the rest with cities.

If I create a new barony, should I just keep it myself? Having more personal troops sure is nice.

E: Ugh, just got overthrown and busted back down to king. It's hard to find the motivation to claw my way back up again. It was my empire dammit. I founded it and kept it expanding for 200 years.

gently caress this game. 3 generations of rulers that don't make it to 30. Basically just a long rear end death spiral.

yeah man thats the game sometimes

hang in there!! you will become emperor again!

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

When it comes to your personal demense I would say it depends. If most of your personal dutchies are coastal, I would just go for as many cities as humanly possible. Sure the extra troops are fine, passively makes everyone a bit less likely to jump you, but gold buys mercs, better upgraded keeps for more troops, and let's you do more fun constructions like hospitals and great works. And handy to buy the favor of annoying vassals in a pinch.

The North Tower
Aug 20, 2007

Hellioning posted:

I think the thing to do is fill out as many holding spots in your capitol with baronies for the extra troops as possible. Keep two duchies worth of counties and the rest of your demense limit as baronies in your capitol.

This. Capital/capital duchy: all castles if possible (plus 1 city/1 temple not owned by you) and then have the top level castle (county capital) for every county in that same duchy. 2nd duchy: county capital castle for the entire duchy (if you get to choose, pick the duchy with more territory). This way you don’t have dukes pissed at you for owning their de jure territory in their duchy. You can grab the castles from barons as your centralization/stewardship (hi, Hermetics) expands, since they can’t really rebel. This can end up making a lot of games feel same-y, though, and it can get a bit boring to just make army # bigger.

Just read the new dev diary. Those diseases. :perfect:

The North Tower fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Jul 27, 2020

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

verbal enema posted:

Oh, now I'm going to burn it all down. And destroy the family that took it from me.

Actually, its half destroyed already, Britannia has split off into its own empire. Wow does the king of England own a lot. I was planning to go super in the hole on tyranny to smash up his holdings before I lost everything. At least its still a super solidly Germanic power block.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I think it really depends on how big you plan to get, once you expand really big your personal levies don't matter very much even if you have an extra castle or two. At which point I'd like to hold as many county tier titles as possible within the two duchies I control directly, probably filled with cities. Baron-tier vassals also don't count against your vassal limit so it's "free" gold. If you need troops, hire mercenaries.

If you're small and plan to stay very small, then maybe having extra castles in your direct domain is better.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

verbal enema posted:

Is there anything general I can read about playing the game in its current state. I haven't played since the time before the India expansion and it seems like there are 1000 new mechanics

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/ck3-dev-diary-35-user-testing-before-release.1408176/

The old portraits were....interesting.

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

Magil Zeal posted:

I think it really depends on how big you plan to get, once you expand really big your personal levies don't matter very much even if you have an extra castle or two. At which point I'd like to hold as many county tier titles as possible within the two duchies I control directly, probably filled with cities. Baron-tier vassals also don't count against your vassal limit so it's "free" gold. If you need troops, hire mercenaries.

If you're small and plan to stay very small, then maybe having extra castles in your direct domain is better.

Split the diff: castles in your main county (since that gets the biggest levy bonus) and cities in all the other counties of your duchy/duchies, as many as your demense limit allows.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Are there any videos yet of how fast these 3d models are going to load/how fast you can click between them? As much effort as is put into them I have to imagine that will matter more than appearance after an hour in game.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

I am very glad that they did not go down the civ6 route. That artstyle is unappealing.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Demon_Corsair posted:

counties and most other holdings outside of the de jure lands for your primary title are given a bit more weight in gavelkind, elective gavelkind especially. if halfdan were to give wessex to his second born then that heir would go to the absolute bottom of the list for counties in york, his primary title and petty kingdom. if you're gifting an equal level title and creating an independent realm you can take that particular heir and their kids out your line of inheritance for at least a generation. as you move further down the line the kids can be bought off cheaper, for a few counties in wales or cornwall and they'll be put to the bottom of the list for lands in york as well, leaving them all for your primary heir to receive.

if you're expanding you can tailor gavelkind to some degree. next generation all your brothers will be trying to kill you, they'll have armies and claims, they'll marry their cousins just to make the whole thing really weird and it loving rules. then you take their poo poo and do the same thing again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

upgunned shitpost posted:

counties and most other holdings outside of the de jure lands for your primary title are given a bit more weight in gavelkind, elective gavelkind especially. if halfdan were to give wessex to his second born then that heir would go to the absolute bottom of the list for counties in york, his primary title and petty kingdom. if you're gifting an equal level title and creating an independent realm you can take that particular heir and their kids out your line of inheritance for at least a generation. as you move further down the line the kids can be bought off cheaper, for a few counties in wales or cornwall and they'll be put to the bottom of the list for lands in york as well, leaving them all for your primary heir to receive.

if you're expanding you can tailor gavelkind to some degree. next generation all your brothers will be trying to kill you, they'll have armies and claims, they'll marry their cousins just to make the whole thing really weird and it loving rules. then you take their poo poo and do the same thing again.

This guy pagans