Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

Zerilan posted:

I rewatch the series at least once a year, still stand by it being the best animated series I've seen.

I hardly ever rewatch anime but I've seen Ping Pong at least half a dozen times, it's so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Which Certain Scientific XYZ series/seasons should I watch? I hear some of it goes a little off-the-rails (in a bad way) or straight up detracts from the franchise.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Railgun is the best of those series, I personally watched Season 1 of Index to get some context before only watching Railgun, but you can easily just watch Railgun and get 95% of the story fine.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i've only seen railgun and it's good stuff and doesn't require any knowledge of the others

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

lmao

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Just finished LOTGH, definitely one of my favorites all time along with Samurai Champloo, Berserk, Great Teacher Onizuka. Ninja Scroll, Akira, Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal (OVAs) some of my favorite films. Not sure what to check out next.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Mob Psycho 100

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

knox posted:

Just finished LOTGH, definitely one of my favorites all time along with Samurai Champloo, Berserk, Great Teacher Onizuka. Ninja Scroll, Akira, Rurouni Kenshin: Trust & Betrayal (OVAs) some of my favorite films. Not sure what to check out next.

Dorohedoro, Cyber City Oedo 808, Cowboy Bebop (if you somehow haven't already seen it)

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
i like yalls background

e: just realized this wasnt the general chat thread sorry

mycophobia fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jul 28, 2020

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

knox posted:

Vinland Saga - with the caveat that the first season doesn't hit a great stopping point and I highly encourage you pick up the (outstanding) manga after watching.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

knox posted:

oh you'd probably also enjoy The Hakkenden (1990)

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

knox posted:

Ping Pong
Mob Psycho 100
Gundam Thunderbolt

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

hyouge mono

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spiritus Nox posted:

Plot twist - the best one is Katanagatari

katanagatari made me sadder than I expected

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

It made me sad that more shows don't use the pseudo-woodcut artstyle

Spiritus Nox posted:

Vinland Saga - with the caveat that the first season doesn't hit a great stopping point and I highly encourage you pick up the (outstanding) manga after watching.
I thought it was a great stopping point, although I am interested in what happens next.

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Jul 28, 2020

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

katanagatari made me sadder than I expected

One of my favorite final episodes in all of anime....

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

is fairy gone any good?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

is fairy gone any good?

It's very bland.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

watching just the first ep should be enough to get a solid view of what the series is: bland, uninspired and remarkably cheap looking

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

It has some very energetic villains later on that make you fun headlong into the problem of the the main characters being on the most boring side a conflict.

edit: Like I haven't seen the second half, it's possible that the main characters join the terrorists, but the first half was just a not as good medieval gits.

Terrible Opinions fucked around with this message at 14:20 on Jul 29, 2020

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Yeah, it seems like you could do interesting stuff with the some of the ideas it had, but instead its just really boring.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Also every anime with characters as government agents would be improved by making them the terrorist bad guys. I think gits is the only obvious exception, because most of their enemies are one off weirdos or normal people.

bobomb
Jul 22, 2005

Undisputed
Moe Master
I had the ADTRWiki bookmarked, looks like it's disappeared! The ADTRW yearly top 10 anime results used to be posted there (Is that a thing still?) ...oh well. Gonna give Sarazanmai a roll, looks interesting.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

bobomb posted:

I had the ADTRWiki bookmarked, looks like it's disappeared! The ADTRW yearly top 10 anime results used to be posted there (Is that a thing still?) ...oh well. Gonna give Sarazanmai a roll, looks interesting.

The site was no longer really being maintained, though if you look through archives you can find the yearly vote threads. I should probably link them somewhere more visible for future reference and/or update the OP.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

The wiki was mirrored to https://adtrw.nulani.net/ but yeah the top lists only go to 2017 anyway.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i found some of the older top lists recently which in concert with the newer ones made it look like anime about girls was invented in 2016

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Tales of Woe posted:

i found some of the older top lists recently which in concert with the newer ones made it look like anime about girls was invented in 2016

The age of Zorak was a dark time (also apparently Baal, sorry Baal).

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Don't think I really posted here during the Zorak years and only really remember even mentioning some lovely series being forbidden.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Zerilan posted:

Don't think I really posted here during the Zorak years and only really remember even mentioning some lovely series being forbidden.

Zorak started out as a mod when ADTRW really was the pedo-infested shithole the rest of the forums thought it was, cleaned it out, and was a good enough mod for a while. But he burnt out eventually and just... kept on being mod for a few years after that. While not really doing anything besides repeatedly probating people he had a grudge against for trivial infractions.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zerilan posted:

Criticizing kill la kill was also forbidden

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Aside from KLK and the jonjonaug stuff, my recollection is that he generally had a bit of a tendency to use his status as mod to make himself the taste arbiter of the forum, and pushing back against his official opinions was a bad idea.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

My only real probe on SA came from Zorak, because I quoted someone asking a question and also quoted someone else who answered that question and apparently that was considered empty quoting, which wasnt allowed at the time

Also he probed me 6 days after my post

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Jul 30, 2020

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Paracelsus posted:

Aside from KLK and the jonjonaug stuff, my recollection is that he generally had a bit of a tendency to use his status as mod to make himself the taste arbiter of the forum, and pushing back against his official opinions was a bad idea.

This was very much the case, and he definitely fostered an atmosphere that looked down on moe and cute girls doing cute things shows. I agree with Tuxedo that Zorak did a good job of cleaning up the toxic cesspool that was ancient ADTRW, but the pendulum swung too hard the other way, and it took the moderation efforts of both Baal and Bad Seafood to cultivate a much more healthy posting environment where people could freely discuss their opinions earnestly and share a wide variety of different shows and manga that before you essentially weren't allowed to do.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zerilan posted:

iirc the lovely series was a loli fanservice series, and justly shut down considering the atmosphere at the time.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Im in a bit of a funk and having a hard time sticking with any of the shows Im attempting to watch. Maybe Im just burnt out on mystery/drama and need to move on to something else.

Anyone got some good recommendations for short (10-20 eps) shows that strike a good balance of serious and comedy?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Furnaceface posted:

Im in a bit of a funk and having a hard time sticking with any of the shows Im attempting to watch. Maybe Im just burnt out on mystery/drama and need to move on to something else.

Anyone got some good recommendations for short (10-20 eps) shows that strike a good balance of serious and comedy?

nadesico is 26 eps, but if you like giant robots it fits that definition pretty tightly

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Furnaceface posted:

Toradora!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Furnaceface posted:

Maybe A Place Further Than The Universe?

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Julias posted:

This was very much the case, and he definitely fostered an atmosphere that looked down on moe and cute girls doing cute things shows. I agree with Tuxedo that Zorak did a good job of cleaning up the toxic cesspool that was ancient ADTRW, but the pendulum swung too hard the other way, and it took the moderation efforts of both Baal and Bad Seafood to cultivate a much more healthy posting environment where people could freely discuss their opinions earnestly and share a wide variety of different shows and manga that before you essentially weren't allowed to do.

the fall of zorak ushered in the berserk golden age arc of the forums where the current mod used to get repeatedly probed for posting fat anime titties with us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mycophobia
May 7, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

Maybe A Place Further Than The Universe?

thats a great show