Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

The Rat posted:

I just finished playing through Prey for the first time and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm5KI8zSeVs

Prey was a game that I thought was "ok" at first but I keep thinking about playing it again because it's so open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

i still dont know what a beach is

im 90 hours in

It's like.....purgatory, right?

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Ashmole posted:

Prey was a game that I thought was "ok" at first but I keep thinking about playing it again because it's so open.

The game itself was competently made, and if I was 10-15 years younger I probably would have enjoyed it a lot more. My problem was with how I experienced/digested it. Instead of it feeling tense because I didn't know what was around the corner with hidden mimics and being low on ammo, I was taken out of it, thinking "oh I see, this is meant to feel tense as a gameplay decision." The tasks and quests ended up feeling like a slog, and having things thrown in like the flood of military robots at one point felt more frustrating than anything. Overall the fun: frustration ratio was very skewed to the latter.

It's definitely a trend with my brain, cause I didn't enjoy the actual gameplay in Witcher 3 either. Story, dialogue, music, atmosphere, all fantastic, I just disliked having to go from place to place and kill x amount of monsters and do x quests and having to do things in a certain order, etc.

My brain is just broke on first/third person RPGs I guess.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Part of the game of Death Stranding is someone seeing the screen and asking who or what that is or what’s going on and you start explaining and you always fail that minigame.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

i wasnt a witcher person either :shrug:

im glad its done well though

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The Rat posted:

It's definitely a trend with my brain, cause I didn't enjoy the actual gameplay in Witcher 3 either. Story, dialogue, music, atmosphere, all fantastic, I just disliked having to go from place to place and kill x amount of monsters and do x quests and having to do things in a certain order, etc.

Honestly this is a huge part of why I am about to start my fifth attempt at finishing the game over the last however many years. I'm probably going to reduce the difficulty as much as possible just to be able to hurry through the more boring quest objectives

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Internet Wizard posted:

Honestly this is a huge part of why I am about to start my fifth attempt at finishing the game over the last however many years. I'm probably going to reduce the difficulty as much as possible just to be able to hurry through the more boring quest objectives

I used a couple mods that had me starting at level 78 AND having all equipment with no weight limit and it still felt like a slog to me. I'm not really sure where this brain change came about, because I'd have been all over it 10 years ago.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

The Rat posted:

I used a couple mods that had me starting at level 78 AND having all equipment with no weight limit and it still felt like a slog to me. I'm not really sure where this brain change came about, because I'd have been all over it 10 years ago.

For me I think it's just less patience for engaging with something that's clearly some sort of mechanic rather than feeling like I'm engaging with the game's world. That layer of abstraction ends up interfering with my enjoyment.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

Ah yeah that's a good point. poo poo like crafting 300 iron daggers in Skyrim to buff up my smithing skill, or the hacking mini game in Prey really take you out of it.

The Rat fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 29, 2020

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/EDF_OFFICIAL_EN/status/1288287970366283778

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

E! D! F!

E! D! F!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

edf rules

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

to protect the earth against all alien attack!

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/49122/sega-dreamcast-2-pc-console-hybrid/index.html

dreamcast 2.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I like the idea for people like me who don't follow specs enough to know what GXR4735cy Red Tango card to put in their built PC, but want more power than they're getting from their laptop.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgzD50f34iM

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

im about to gently caress you all up in soul calibur

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

It looks like a fan thing and not the real deal.

I am so crushingly disappointed by this.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Handsome Ralph posted:

It looks like a fan thing and not the real deal.

I am so crushingly disappointed by this.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

gently caress 2020

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Yo this is potentially a stupid af question but bear with me, it's been a long rear end time since I did any rebuilding or anything. I'm about to replace my mobo and cpu, I don't need to format the system drive beforehand right? I can just reinstall windows and choose to format it during the install?

e] Oh word, I do still need to reinstall Windows though, right?

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Aug 1, 2020

Ashmole
Oct 5, 2008

This wish was granted by Former DILF

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Yo this is potentially a stupid af question but bear with me, it's been a long rear end time since I did any rebuilding or anything. I'm about to replace my mobo and cpu, I don't need to format the system drive beforehand right? I can just reinstall windows and choose to format it during the install?

You don't need to reformat at all. You'll just have to download some drivers and such.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Just beat and completed 100% of Ghost of Tsushima. Great game beginning to end, perfect length for an open world game.

Here's a few screenshots I took with it's photomode.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

e] Oh word, I do still need to reinstall Windows though, right?

Nope, as long as you can get the drivers to make things work it should be fine. Windows will probably scream at you about activation though because your license key is tied to the motherboard. Call microsoft or do their live chat thing and they can clear it for you if it gives you problems about activating windows.

E: You did get new RAM right? If it's been a really long time and you're still on DDR3 RAM on your old motherboard and the new one is on DDR4, it won't boot.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Oh ya I've got RAM too

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Win10 is super forgiving about hardware changes.

It also basically reinstalls itself with the refresh option and for feature updates.

So if it gets weird at all just refresh it and it will pull all new everything.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
That's rad, saves a bunch of hassle, thanks gang.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

That's rad, saves a bunch of hassle, thanks gang.

If your power supply in your PC is out of warranty, replace it though (with a decent power supply, not a crappy one). You'd really hate to have your PC upgrade to overstress an old power supply and then have it fail and kill your new CPU/Mobo/RAM/etc.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Ugh yea that's actually what i'm waiting on atm

E) and it's taking all the meager willpower my idiot brain can muster to not just try it anyway :downs:

Radical 90s Wizard fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Aug 1, 2020

Scope
Jun 6, 2003

If there’s one thing you shouldn’t gently caress around with in PC hardware, it’s your PSU. Buy quality, and buy bigger than you need.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

And don’t reuse cables from your old PSU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
A spare power supply is a useful troubleshooting tool for problems that don't make sense, too.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

When putting together my current computer last fall, my troubleshooting was bonkers. Went all the way up to swapping out the CPU itself, and it turns out that the CPU was the bad component. Been running fine since then.

TCD
Nov 13, 2002

Every step, a fucking adventure.

The Rat posted:

When putting together my current computer last fall, my troubleshooting was bonkers. Went all the way up to swapping out the CPU itself, and it turns out that the CPU was the bad component. Been running fine since then.

After - jesus 25+ years of PC building, modding, and tech support, CPUs are last on my trouble shooting list (well aside from re-seating it).

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

TCD posted:

After - jesus 25+ years of PC building, modding, and tech support, CPUs are last on my trouble shooting list (well aside from re-seating it).

I've had one instance where my 4670k would work fine but wouldn't address half my RAM until I reseated it a few times.

That was a fuckin weird one to troubleshoot. I was dead set on those slots being dead because there was no way a CPU should work fine except for that.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

TCD posted:

Yeah it was the last thing I suspected, but I had tried swapping out literally everything else first - RAM, motherboard, power supply, hard drives. Basically the issue was that it could boot into BIOS just fine and stay stable there, but if I got to the Windows login/installation screen, it would just die and reboot. Even did when I tried with Linux. This was with a Ryzen 3700X, so a fairly new processor too.

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I'm falling into the death stranding hole.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Wish I could help you, pardner, but I got into RDR2 the other day and this game fuckin rocks.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

ElMaligno posted:

I'm falling into the death stranding hole.

It’s a cool hole. Just starting episode 5 now.

Been switch-hitting Ghost and Stranding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

https://www.nintendolife.com/news/2020/08/week-long_tetris_99_maximus_cup_sees_the_return_of_three_past_themes

ring fit, luigis mansion, and animal crossing themes are back if you missed out before