Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

A lot of the stuff on the dauntlessdialogue page seems true, does anyone have any data on arrests pre-2017? ie is the current rate of arrests statistically unusual?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
Did Trump actually say that? I'm certainly not typing that phrase into google so wondering if anyone knew.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Bucky Fullminster posted:

A lot of the stuff on the dauntlessdialogue page seems true, does anyone have any data on arrests pre-2017? ie is the current rate of arrests statistically unusual?

I went through and it seems correct but also, outside of the initial statements of EO's and stuff, literally none of the child exploitation busts listed took place under Trumps presidency or seems to be anything other than regular low level consumers and some producers being caught by FBI and local law enforcement. Certainly nothing approaching anything with any celebrity or anything else I assumed would be in there from the Twitter thread I found it in.

Illuminti posted:

Did Trump actually say that? I'm certainly not typing that phrase into google so wondering if anyone knew.

I've not heard that one but I've certainly seen the famous clip of him with Marla Maples discussing baby Tiffany's future body. Honestly, the stories from his ownership of the Teen Pageant is enough for me to extrapolate from.

The context for me here was just how these people handwave away everything Trump does and says so they can position him as a moral crusader for children in their minds.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Oh man, one of the comments on that page of arrests gets so close:

quote:

Very good Article, thank you!
I didn’t see any high power elite personallies. Where is the Hillaries, & her ad that skined the flash off of a 10 yr old girl, then wore that skin on her (Hillary) face. Then drain the child’s blood and drank it. Where are those people in tge Article, or the many US politicians that have resigned or retired to pervent discloser of their act of crime.
Most of the politicians are no higher then a Mayor. Why not provide the names of the Royals that where caught? There needs to be a wall of shame of all of these people, like top officals of Vatican, such as Pope Francis?
This article is grand, and very informative , but it lacks the in depth levels of exposure that needs to be exposed. SOOO, what is the Law Enforcement hiding? Why hasn’t any of these people been exposed to the public? The law is to be applied equally, NO One is above the law! Tge Golden Rule: Do No Harm!

And another one lays the strategy bare:

quote:

“It is becoming very clear that the reason the Democrats are after Trump is because they are being used by the “elite” scum to try to remove him in a desperate attempt to save their skins.
This is the ultimate proof that the left have to be wrong since this sort of behaviour is stamped out and not tolerated by a right win system that is based on Christianity and the rule of law.”

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Maybe when people google "Trump hosed up" their search bar will also show results for "Hillary Biden hosed up" 5D CHESS

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Illuminti posted:

Allegedly he did

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/tamerragriffin/trump-asked-if-its-wrong-to-be-attracted-to-his-daughter#.muLN7d3M2

quote:

Washington Post columnist Richard Cohen wrote that President-elect Donald Trump once asked, “Is it wrong to be more sexually attracted to your own daughter than your wife?” — but the quote was quietly removed before the syndicated column was published Tuesday.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
"sir, you defend the doctor who recommended hydroclowhatevers-"
"mhm mhm very smart. great lady. great american. we're good friends. very smart. very good."
"she says that illnesses are caused by 'sex with witches'-"
"HaHA! NOW you've fallen into my trap! here you say 'sex with witches' is bad correct!? CORRECT??!"
"y-yes?"
"SO! PRAY TELL: why is it ok for bill to have sex with hillary??"
*entire cabinet* "OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH!" "drat son!!" "burn. her. UP!"
*trump smug face and crossed arms as press fall out of chairs*

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Wait, Hillary cut an ad of the whole face wearing thing?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Spotted earlier today in Everett, Washington:

https://twitter.com/The_Tim/status/1288574525907451905

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Wait, Joe Biden has an island with a secret submarine base and a headquarters worth a half a billion dollars?

I wouldn’t have guessed Biden was actually “a six year old’s idea of a superhero.”

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.
Is there a good place that gives an outline on why a lot of the claims of pizzagate/qanon are bullshit? Other than the obvious argument of hahaha bullshit conspiracy theories that connect EVERYTHING are always bullshit why did you fall for that. The whole how and why the argument came to be is just not compelling for some, especially since it is a "serious" topic.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Momonari kun posted:

Is there a good place that gives an outline on why a lot of the claims of pizzagate/qanon are bullshit? Other than the obvious argument of hahaha bullshit conspiracy theories that connect EVERYTHING are always bullshit why did you fall for that. The whole how and why the argument came to be is just not compelling for some, especially since it is a "serious" topic.

There’s literally like no evidence supporting any of it. That’s like asking someone to prove God doesn’t exist and then saying checkmate atheist.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Momonari kun posted:

The problem is that if you actually describe the structure of either conspiracy theory in simple, unbiased language, and that doesn't provide an sufficiently compelling outline by itself, then there's something else going on there. The easiest way to break down either one still makes it sound like the TimeCube guy wrote it.

Pizzagate in particular only makes any sense at all to anyone if they went into the conversation previously convinced that Hillary Clinton was one of David Icke's lizard people.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Momonari kun posted:

Q stuff isn't a single conspiracy theory like "the US never went to the moon" or "the CIA killed JFK," where you can pick apart arguments and try to debunk specific claims. It's more like a huge salad bar of vaguely pro-Trump fringe beliefs that lets True Q Believers pick whatever they want to be true. There's no way to pull apart a single core concept and debunk claims, because there's no core to it beyond "Trump has a secret plan to own the libs" and a vaguely messianic anonymous message board poster that can be interpreted into whatever people want to hear.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I think the general outline is that there's a secret society of most of the top politicians(only left-wing of course) and celebrities called the Deep State that kidnap children and harvest adrenochrome from them for anti-aging/immortality/satanic rituals, and they use codewords like pizza/walnut/sauce to refer to it. Trump is secretly fighting the Deep State and is going to(or already has) arrest and execute them all, and then release all the evidence to the general public.

As far as I know the only evidence for this are emails that mention stuff like "pizza" that are supposedly code for children, and not y'know just food.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jul 30, 2020

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Wanderer posted:

Pizzagate in particular only makes any sense at all to anyone if they went into the conversation previously convinced that Hillary Clinton was one of David Icke's lizard people.

The growth of the movement over the last few months, and the inclusion of the spiritual (edit - 'yoga mum') set, suggests that's not entirely true anymore

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 08:14 on Jul 30, 2020

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Really your best bet is to point out that a fairly common and central theme is that they think JFK Jr. faked his death so he could come back and be a key agent in the shadow war against the cabal. If that doesn't scare them off then I doubt much else will. The problem with QAnon is that it's a pretty variable conspiracy so a lot of people who are just a little dumb or more on the alternative medicine/mom blog side of things can just hear that some rich people (conveniently the ones that they probably don't like) are passing kids around and nod their heads. Like I said, Satanic Panic 2.0. If you make them face a little more of the conspiracy at once it could shock them out of it.

Other than that, QAnon is more of a state of mind about the dark cabal of Satanists/Globalists/Bankers/Reptilians existing and Trump and the government secretly resisting them. The "facts" don't exactly matter.

You can't exactly prove that Obama wasn't secretly imprisoned and executed at Gitmo and then replaced with a body double.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

The screenshot of the front page of 8kun seems like a pretty good way to discredit the idea that they are righteous warriors fighting a holy war against satanic sex traffickers

The Sausages
Sep 30, 2012

What do you want to do? Who do you want to be?

Bucky Fullminster posted:

And another one lays the strategy bare:
This is the ultimate proof that the left have to be wrong since this sort of behaviour is stamped out and not tolerated by a right win system that is based on Christianity and the rule of law.”

Good ol' Christianity, sure to stamp out pedophilia any day now. Between that and right wing politics morality must be just around the corner by now.

Bucky Fullminster
Apr 13, 2007

Found what appears to be a good chunk of the original FBIanon posts, which is clearly the inspiration for Q, if not Q themselves trying the first iteration of the character:

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1079382699142496256.html

If anyone has a link to the original archived thread I'd love to see it.

edit - Highlights:

"Repeat something often enough and it becomes the truth. Repeat after me: Hillary is evil and will destroy the planet."

"Russia has no desire to go to war with us, so if they are meddling in our elections (which I believe they are) then it is because they do not want
HRC to provoke a conflict which she is likely to do. She is a vicious idiot"

"The problem is with the Clinton Foundation as I mentioned, which you should just imagine as a massive spider web of connections and money laundering implicating hundreds of high-level people."

"My personal goal is to make sure HRC never gets elected."

"As an aside, when you are reading Podesta's e-mails, remember that the Clintons deal in weapons, drugs, and people. Some terminology in use is far more nefarious than many of you suspect."

"If there is anything to gain from this, it is FOCUS ON THE CLINTON FOUNDATION.
If you keep pressing the foundation and do not let the questions or demands die, then the truth will out.
Follow the Foundation."

> CF/Hillary --> Qatar --> Lagardere --> Bataclan
> Yes or no?
"Correct. There is a missing link, but the thread is correct."

> What should we follow specifically?
"Why do HRC and the CF have ties to certain Indian businessmen, who, in many instances, have been routinely accused of pedophilia?"

"HRC loves power and death."

>Did Hillary have sex with kidnapped girls? "Yes."

> Is there any sign or reference of Moloch/Minerva in the CF? Any occult or weird symbolism?
"Plenty, if you know what to look for."

> What are Trump's true motivations?
"He wants to Make America Great Again. He despises the powerful who have enabled themselves by throwing smaller people under the bus."

> How many people has the CF had killed in this election?

"At least 14."

>We have everything. Trump has many things. Why doesn’t Flynn (who I know knows enough to indict her)
saying anything?
"The same reason I cannot. If the truth came out, you all may believe. But who else would? It is too dark for anyone to stomach."

"I could go into my office, pull all the docs, come home to my pc and upload tons of dirt on HRC right here.
But do you know what will happen? Google will remove it, and then this website will be shut down."

Bucky Fullminster fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jul 30, 2020

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

"None of this is being published because it's too dark to believe" is such a funny statement especially in light of the metoo movement. You have all these people on the left who are pushing for people to believe victims, and you have all these people on the right who are desperately trying to defend rapists and pedophiles. So who do all the qanon people rally around? The billionaire sex pest who definitely hosed kids at some point

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1288843391065882629

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I mean if trump wasn’t the savior they’d totally be freaking out if anyone mentioned pizza in the context of

Long(ittle) st James island

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.

pseudanonymous posted:

There’s literally like no evidence supporting any of it. That’s like asking someone to prove God doesn’t exist and then saying checkmate atheist.

So yeah, it's just religion, then.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Momonari kun posted:

Do you need a specific website that congregates all the evidence that Barack Obama isn't a lizard alien or currently in Guantanamo?

Momonari kun
Apr 6, 2002
Yes, you needed video.

bird with big dick posted:

Do you need a specific website that congregates all the evidence that Barack Obama isn't a lizard alien or currently in Guantanamo?

Didn't care enough or read any social media poo poo to realize how "deep" it all went, but if it's that far out there, no hope I guess. Litmus test for who not to engage with.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Momonari kun posted:

Regarding pizzagate, the conspiracy theory revolves around Comet Pizza a Washington DC restaurant that is supposedly holding and abusing children in its basement.

Only one problem, as the guy who went there with an AR-15 and a .38 pistol to bust into the basement and free the kids found out, there is no basement.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...24e0_story.html

quote:

After a panicky evacuation by workers and customers, including children, Welch fired the rifle multiple times at a locked closet door, striking computer equipment inside, court documents said. He also pointed the rifle toward an unwitting employee retrieving pizza dough from a nearby business who entered the back of the restaurant, then immediately turned and ran for his life, according to the government’s evidence signed off by Welch.

Welch ultimately did not shoot anyone and surrendered after he found no evidence of hidden rooms or sex trafficking. Friends and family members had said they thought Welch was on a mission to save children, not to hurt anybody.

Subsequently, Alex Jones retracted all his claims about pizzagate on air and apologized for lying about the owner of Comet Pizza

quote:

Also Friday, conservative radio host and Infowars website operator Alex Jones apologized for promoting the Pizzagate conspiracy. Jones posted a ­six-minute video on his website in which he read a prepared statement stating that neither the restaurant nor its owner, James Alefantis, had anything to do with human trafficking. The statement came after Alefantis’s attorneys had requested a retraction.

“In our commentary about what had become known as ­Pizzagate, I made comments about Mr. Alefantis that in hindsight I regret, and for which I apologize to him,” Jones said. “We apologize to the extent our commentaries could be considered as negative statements about Mr. Alefantis or Comet Ping Pong, and we hope that anyone else involved in commenting on ­Pizzagate will do the same thing.”

So ya know, the grifters promoting it to dumb rubes to get them to tune in so they can sell them brain pills and weight loss supplements don't believe it themselves, and the poor sap who bought into it is in prison now thanks to them, idk what kind of evidence you're looking for but that seems pretty slam dunk to me.

I don't have evidence that the USA isn't criscrossed with secret underground tunnels holding mole children bred for their adrenal glands to be ready for consumption by Hillary Clinton though so obviously that part must be true.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jul 30, 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Like the general theme that there is an elite international cabal of ritualistic child molesters is right, that's Epstein's thing, the bit that's wrong is specifically that their headquarters is in the basement of a pizza shop.

Much like UFOs were real, as in the US military was flying weird experimental aircraft at night over US cities based out of the groom lake base at area 51, but they weren't aliens.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

VitalSigns posted:

I don't have evidence that the USA isn't criscrossed with secret underground tunnels holding mole children bred for their adrenal glands to be ready for consumption by Hillary Clinton though so obviously that part must be true.

I have a co-worker who talked about this on Tuesday! She also confidently asserted that THEY were blowing up the underground children and cities and that's what causes earthquakes. Of her own admission she does nothing but watch YouTube all day once she gets home.

She says she used to be a lot crazier in the 80s.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

She was probably doing the satanic panic in the 80's and now it's retro.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Mad Hamish posted:

I have a co-worker who talked about this on Tuesday! She also confidently asserted that THEY were blowing up the underground children and cities and that's what causes earthquakes. Of her own admission she does nothing but watch YouTube all day once she gets home.

She says she used to be a lot crazier in the 80s.

I just told my wife about this. Her response:

Her: "who's blowing up the underground cities?"
Me: "THEY. The deep state. Probably the DNC and Hillary."
Her: "Wait, Hillary wants to kill the mole people?"
Me: "I'm not sure Hillary knows about them, she's the recipient, the tunnels are probably built for her benefit with Clinton Foundation money, but she has probable deniability."
Her: "wouldn't she and the DNC want to protect the mole people of she needed to eat them later?"
Me: "maybe we shouldn't dig too deeply." (Insert Moria joke)

I love her.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
Has any reporting provided well-founded statistics about the extent and growth of the QAnon movement? Like based on national polling or study of social media data, etc?

Secondary to that I'm wondering about what power QAnon has / could plausibly have as a semi-unified political force. My impression is it's been shown (anecdotally) to be able to infect people outside the traditional Trump base, so it wouldn't necessarily be correct say that that is its full potential. I'm sure this is a focus of inquiry, has there been good reporting about it?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

How much of its ability to appeal to people is that it isn't a coherent political force though?

Like it's entirely possible the people who are into it but aren't pro trump are into it again because of the satanic panic poo poo. Like people adopting the language doesn't mean adopting the politics any more than they already had them. A lot of conspiracies are just expressions of a pre existing mindset which is sort of runoff from right-christian thought. Angels and demons and judgement day and divine plans and all that horseshit. Or new age rebranding of that with chi and energy and nature and meditation and whatever. All just mysticism appealing to people who lack control over their own lives for various reasons and so they buy whatever ancient chinese secret crystal bigfoot detoxification orgone ion radio wave blocking crap a charlatan in a fancy suit on TV or sleek website can sell to them on the premise that it will give them secret power to improve their lives and feel better about themselves.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
Something that is unique about QAnon to me is that it involves worship of a non-fringe public figure. If a person's religion tells them that some famous politician is their messiah they are likely to vote for that politician at each convenient opportunity, I think.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That's not entirely new, though, that's already how the christian right interface with the republican party. I would be surprised if it doesn't transfer to the next person willing to bang the drum for their culture war.

Because that's what it is, at the heart of it, our enemies represent the depths of moral depravity, our allies are radiant saints sent down from heaven itself to cast out the demons. It's people hopped up on the jesus juice hardcore, or any of the other manifestations of the same idea of a great mystical moral conflict being behind everything in the world.

And that's why it doesn't really matter that trump is transparently a sleazeball, he's doing it for a higher purpose which the people who subscribe to this poo poo are heavily invested in. It's the foundation of their worldview and nothing's gonna break them of that save death. No amount of failed prophecies or facts will work because it's all about their emotional need to believe they understand the world correctly as a stage for a big moral fairytale conflict and their need to believe that at the moment they are on the right side, the side that appeals to their basest instincts honed over years, decades of osmosis from conservative and religious propaganda from their environment.

Ultimately I think our society has raised whole generations of actual loving children who have been living in a complete fantasyland and this is them refusing to leave it.

To an extent it's why the religious right political project has been so successful, it channels people's disillusion with the society created by the people they keep voting for into more support for that project. Capitalism drives everything the right hates in the culture war, and their politicians make bank pushing more capitalism with one hand and stoking the moral crusade with the other. The wrongs are deflected onto the degeneracy of the capitalist entities the right empowers and nobody makes the connection back to the people with the slick hair on TV going on about whatever moral panic we're on this week. The system of government, so removed from the people who live in the country, serves as the screen to hide the actions of the right, except when they want to make a show of doing some performative thing.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 31, 2020

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

johnny dappertweed posted:

Something that is unique about QAnon to me is that it involves worship of a non-fringe public figure. If a person's religion tells them that some famous politician is their messiah they are likely to vote for that politician at each convenient opportunity, I think.

Wait till someone announces they are Q Anon and tries to run for president.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Ultimately I think our society has raised whole generations of actual loving children who have been living in a complete fantasyland and this is them refusing to leave it.

So this is what I want to know true/false, actually how many people have this defect in their worldview that (a) makes them susceptible to QAnon and (b) makes them susceptible to other phenomena similar to QAnon. How big a slice of the population is this.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean it's gonna vary by country but the US has had a quite consistent program to capture christian religious practice and explicitly turn it into that, if it wasn't already that before. So probably most of the republican voter base.

In other countries I'd look for weirdo nationalists, again hardcore christians, conservatives generally adopt that line of thinking because conservatism at best is basically just "I don't want to have to do any sort of remotely difficult moral thought" and basically just functions as a way for people to legitimize whatever idea pops into their head first. And right wing politicians across the west at least have taken on the lessons of the US right and do exactly the same thing, promote the things their base hates with one hand, obscured by the system of government, and decry it with the other through their press.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

At the same time, Trump’s poll numbers tell us that those people make up about 30% of registered voters. It’s a lot, but if the rest of us weren’t so beaten down and desperate and weakened by the fight to stay alive, they could be decisively silenced by sufficiently good organizing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007
I would like that to be true but where does your confidence come from? Are there analogues in recent or not recent history for dissolution of a religion without like cultural genocide/totalitarianism?