Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
you gotta admit, being accused of stealing vaccine info from multiple countries, rushing through the trial process and admitting they are injecting the military as test subjects with it... is the most russia way they could have gone about this

very on-brand

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

StrangersInTheNight posted:

'But I did it once and someone made me feel like my system wasn't perfect! Don't they owe ME something too? I give up, these people are animals!'

That's landlord poster guy, that's what he sounds like.

Ok, GBS edgelord :rolleyes: Look: I let my slaves get married; I let them go to church on a Sunday; I don't whip them any more than's necessary to get a reasonable return on my investment. I'm a good slave owner and I resent you lumping me in with all those bad slave owners who don't really represent our profession at all :colbert:

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

Kerning Chameleon posted:

The homeless would be well within their rights to seize occupancy of homes from their owners, regardless if those owners are landlords or not.

"Owning your own home" is as socially toxic an ideology as "medical care should be privatized."

Yeah!

Also every person seems to go from normal to bigoted coward the moment they purchase a home

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I think it's probably more ethical for people in other countries with less hosed up housing markets to be landlords, and it's also more ethical if it's not done specifically as a business: i.e.: 'buy more houses to buy more houses, to buy more houses, all to rent out' is bad and "buy a house for myself, but move somewhere else and buy another one, rent out the one I already own" is less bad.

I also agree that it's not dumb to think that "wait and see" when it comes to a vaccine may be a bad move. Vaccines can cause problems! The ones that are currently being used by people worldwide are fine, they've been long-term tested. I do want a vaccine for the coronavirus and will take one, but lol@ taking a vaccine that 10000 people were injected with, 3 months ago and 'they're ok so far'. I don't have answers for when I will think it's ok, I haven't done a bunch of vaccine research and am not a vaccine ologist, I'll make the decision when a vaccine comes out and I think we'll all be better informed then, well will be I hope. If 5 vaccines come out at the same time and one of them has been tested and approved by, for instance, a Scandanavian government and the other is from some company that is being pushed by Trump, I know which one I'll try to get and which one I'll be massively distrustful of.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

redreader posted:

I think it's probably more ethical for people in other countries with less hosed up housing markets to be landlords, and it's also more ethical if it's not done specifically as a business: i.e.: 'buy more houses to buy more houses, to buy more houses, all to rent out' is bad and "buy a house for myself, but move somewhere else and buy another one, rent out the one I already own" is less bad.

I also agree that it's not dumb to think that "wait and see" when it comes to a vaccine may be a bad move. Vaccines can cause problems! The ones that are currently being used by people worldwide are fine, they've been long-term tested. I do want a vaccine for the coronavirus and will take one, but lol@ taking a vaccine that 10000 people were injected with, 3 months ago and 'they're ok so far'. I don't have answers for when I will think it's ok, I haven't done a bunch of vaccine research and am not a vaccine ologist, I'll make the decision when a vaccine comes out and I think we'll all be better informed then, well will be I hope. If 5 vaccines come out at the same time and one of them has been tested and approved by, for instance, a Scandanavian government and the other is from some company that is being pushed by Trump, I know which one I'll try to get and which one I'll be massively distrustful of.

I hear you but I'd take it. It's going to be the most scrutinized vaccine in the history of medicine. If they started skipping phases to hit some random deadline, OK yeah not so much, but everything out there says that hasn't happened thus far and one is about to start phase 3 here. The warp-speed part of that dumb name is apparently, we cut through a ton of red tape and actually put money into this thing to the point where we funded multiple vaccines at a large scale knowing full well most of them won't go anywhere..not something you ever see in capitalism.

Anyway, none of it matters if enough people say no..it's not like the country can only open for people who have been vaccinated. Imagine how that would go over...

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
My girlfriend and I own the place we currently live in. We are in the process of buying a new, bigger place for a few reasons. As a result, we are selling the old place, as we do not find it ethical to own and rent out the old place.

I do not see how it is hard to avoid becoming a bloodsucker.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7QZgH1eP2o
about the loving landlord poo poo.

Anyway...

Woohoo!!!

Wisconsin has a face mask order starting August 1st. I'm completely assuming the GOP will challenge it but Robin Vos, known piece of poo poo, said they won't yet.

https://twitter.com/GovEvers/status/1288900014224228353

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
He had to word it with loving baby gloves to try and not upset the loving babies.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

The Mash posted:

My girlfriend and I own the place we currently live in. We are in the process of buying a new, bigger place for a few reasons. As a result, we are selling the old place, as we do not find it ethical to own and rent out the old place.

If you make any profit from the sale you’ll be exploiting the people buying from you

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
If you make any profit at all, ever

In fact, if you own money at all,

It is time for seppuku

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Philthy posted:

He had to word it with loving baby gloves to try and not upset the loving babies.

He always does that. The GOP is so loving rabid here and he is always trying to stay completely neutral in regards to demeanor.

coronavirus
Jan 27, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Pistol_Pete posted:

Ok, GBS edgelord :rolleyes: Look: I let my slaves get married; I let them go to church on a Sunday; I don't whip them any more than's necessary to get a reasonable return on my investment. I'm a good slave owner and I resent you lumping me in with all those bad slave owners who don't really represent our profession at all :colbert:

Renting out your basement? You basically run a plantation. :colbert:

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:
I thought all the Texas and Arizona hospitals were at capacity and melting down a couple of weeks ago, what happened to make it quieter now?

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Xaintrailles posted:

I thought all the Texas and Arizona hospitals were at capacity and melting down a couple of weeks ago, what happened to make it quieter now?

They’re sending overflow to other states :lol:

Miami is sending all their overflow to surrounding counties and filling their ICUs to capacity, haha

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Xaintrailles posted:

what happened to make it quieter now?

when they die they turn the ventilator off

2 penny bottle imp
Jun 11, 2008

I KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SCUMMER

Lazyfire posted:

^^
You can be an ethical landlord only if you make the rent whatever the utility bill is. That way at least the person living there is paying for what they consume and not to benefit your bank account.

lol wtf is this poo poo.

Yes, capital should be taxed, but owning a 200k house and renting it out is no more unethical than having 200k in a pension account. If your response is 'great, all personal investing should be banned', then good luck with that.

The idiot in this thread renting out multiple units, calling for a government bailout and being 1 month away from bankruptcy is pretty juicy tho.

Also, lol:

Kerning Chameleon posted:

"Owning your own home" is as socially toxic an ideology as "medical care should be privatized."

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
https://twitter.com/RSWestmoreland/status/1288981904239341570

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Stock futures are up about 200 points after the news that our GDP dropped 32.9%. The worst in recorded history.

:thermidor:

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
SARS-CoV-2 spreads like a respiratory virus but then fucks over a huge number of other organs. Is that extremely unusual, or what? I've never heard of this kind of thing before, but I'm far from a virologist. Even when people die of a horrible flu case, it's almost always from associated pneumonia, isn't it? Not combination stroke + heart attack + kidney failure + covid toes + ARDS.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

We’re far from understanding it completely, but it seems to cause lots of microclotting issues, which flow every where and gently caress things up throughout the body.

Is that normal? No.

Lord Decimus Barnacle
Jun 25, 2005

Hell Gem
Ahem.... it’s the new normal

Mrs. Sexual
Feb 3, 2020
10 pages of landlord discussions lol.

So they’re still planning on playing high school football here I guess. No:
* huddles
* timeouts every 4 minutes to disinfect everything
* touching your mouth guard the entire game
* masks even on the sidelines
* testing of players before/after they go back to school from the Big Game

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Zugzwang posted:

SARS-CoV-2 spreads like a respiratory virus but then fucks over a huge number of other organs. Is that extremely unusual, or what? I've never heard of this kind of thing before, but I'm far from a virologist. Even when people die of a horrible flu case, it's almost always from associated pneumonia, isn't it? Not combination stroke + heart attack + kidney failure + covid toes + ARDS.

I don’t know how credible Bret Weinstein is, but I heard him on the Rogan Podcast and he gives a pretty good explanation of how the Covid NOINTEEN might be if not man-made, man-meddled-with in Wuhan, just an accident

Also talks about how bad Pharmaceutical companies are at testing new treatments(something about the lab mice having abnormal telomeres compared to humans) and how you should avoid taking any newer drugs if possible, due to unknown side effects 20+ years from now

slow_twitch
Sep 21, 2005

Mrs. Sexual posted:

* huddles

if only burt were here

Mrs. Sexual
Feb 3, 2020

slow_twitch posted:

if only burt were here

Never heard of that dude, I’m talking covid football!

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Zugzwang posted:

There was some virologist reddit post that lays out how "all virii are weird." That said, a vascular micro-clot storm virus that spreads like a respiratory virus is, uh, bad. Not quite "airborne HIV" bad, but the sort of thing that even if you beat it, could have a nasty long tail in long-term secondary adverse effects.

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Mrs. Sexual posted:

* huddles

I thought all those lib cucks wanted compromise! Sheesh what a bunch of liars.

Sporkie
Jun 1, 2009
Found out one of the people I love most in the world 99% has COVID thanks to one of their dumbass roommates bringing it home. Both roommates tested positive, and they've all been quarantining. I'm terrified because aside from the two roommates he has no support really. I'm just actively praying they all get lucky with mild symptoms.

I have no point. Just venting. gently caress 2020 and reality.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Mrs. Sexual posted:

* huddles

My men's league hockey is trying to go with no locker rooms, masks, full face shields, no water on the bench, and a few more regulations. My teams sitting it out for a bit instead of trying all that.

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/dpIkl2QnJeI

yup

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

slow_twitch posted:

if only burt were here

that would be weird and sad as hell if he was considering he got banned for covering for a domestic abuser...what kinda weirdo would still post somewhere everyone knows he's a trash person :iiam:

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

Mrs. Sexual posted:

Assuming someone was infected at a Friday night game, would they even test positive Monday morning given how long it takes symptoms to kick in?

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Sono posted:

Assuming someone was infected at a Friday night game, would they even test positive Monday morning given how long it takes symptoms to kick in?

Combine that with the test turn around being seven days

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night

Derpies posted:

My men's league hockey is trying to go with no locker rooms, masks, full face shields, no water on the bench, and a few more regulations. My teams sitting it out for a bit instead of trying all that.

Rink I work at, no kids allowed in the locker rooms. Mens league and rentals is okay to go in the locker rooms. No spectators (unless the hockey director says they can be in there because they are his friends). Kids don't have to wear masks at all, everyone else is supposed to when they are in the rink (but no spectators?). On ice is limited to 15 people, but there is more like 20-40 during split ice practices. Its basically like normal operation except we put up hand sanitizer stations.

Oh and we had one employee test positive which we didn't find out until 2 weeks after his sister was showing symptoms and in the hospital due to a facebook post where the mother claimed THEY ARE ALL NOT CONTAGIOUS AND DONT HAVE A VIRUS. He was also coming in and practicing with his team the entire time. The department of health said no one needs to be tested. One co-worker had to go get tested 9 days ago because his main job made him, still doesn't have results back. I am the only one there sanitizing anything the best I can and I am only there 2-3 days a week.

Hockey director claims we will be back to normal, full operation by September. I am still unsure if I actually have minor symptoms or its all placebo, but my boss at my main job doesn't give a poo poo and told me to keep coming in the office even though I've been working remotely very successfully for the past few months. This is all a huge loving joke and its not very funny.

Derpies
Mar 11, 2014

by sebmojo

Polish posted:

Rink I work at, no kids allowed in the locker rooms. Mens league and rentals is okay to go in the locker rooms. No spectators (unless the hockey director says they can be in there because they are his friends). Kids don't have to wear masks at all, everyone else is supposed to when they are in the rink (but no spectators?). On ice is limited to 15 people, but there is more like 20-40 during split ice practices. Its basically like normal operation except we put up hand sanitizer stations.

Oh and we had one employee test positive which we didn't find out until 2 weeks after his sister was showing symptoms and in the hospital due to a facebook post where the mother claimed THEY ARE ALL NOT CONTAGIOUS AND DONT HAVE A VIRUS. He was also coming in and practicing with his team the entire time. The department of health said no one needs to be tested. One co-worker had to go get tested 9 days ago because his main job made him, still doesn't have results back. I am the only one there sanitizing anything the best I can and I am only there 2-3 days a week.

Hockey director claims we will be back to normal, full operation by September. I am still unsure if I actually have minor symptoms or its all placebo, but my boss at my main job doesn't give a poo poo and told me to keep coming in the office even though I've been working remotely very successfully for the past few months. This is all a huge loving joke and its not very funny.

Yeah that loving sucks. I'm forced back to work for about 10 hours a week but am one of maybe 8? people in my entire city hall so can isolate pretty well. Is it a Municipal owned rink ?

Polish
Jul 5, 2007

I touch myself at night
Yup... the only borough in the area that never shut down because they are all Trump supporters.

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

Sono posted:

ncceh.ca posted:

The mean incubation period (time between exposure to the virus and the appearance of symptoms) has been estimated to be around five days, with modelling indicating a range of about two to 11 days (2.5th and 97.5th percentiles).

So yeah, not uh, a science based decision on that timeline!

Speaking of which, is this a joke post or what?

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I don’t know how credible Bret Weinstein is, but I heard him on the Rogan Podcast and he gives a pretty good explanation of how the Covid NOINTEEN might be if not man-made, man-meddled-with in Wuhan, just an accident

I dunno. I mean, by default why not trust the libertarian biologist that likes going on Joe Rogan's podcast instead of say, the general scientific consensus worldwide??!

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

The Mash posted:

It's super easy, but it requires that you not have bloodsuckers whispering in your ears and questioning why you would sell a prime rental property.

i.e. don't hang out with lovely people, which is surprisingly hard for a lot of people for some reasons

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Blitter posted:

I dunno. I mean, by default why not trust the libertarian biologist that likes going on Joe Rogan's podcast instead of say, the general scientific consensus worldwide??!

If there's anything Joe Rogan is known for, it's for ensuring the scientific rigor of his guests. You're more likely to get a paper published into some peer reviewed rag like Nature or The Lancet then end up on a Joe Rogan podcast.

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Jul 31, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
There was an anti-mask protest at the War Memorial here in Melbourne this morning, the event had been advertised on FB as a "mass protest" but the reality was really underwhelming

:mediocre:

Cops arrested a bunch of them for breaking the lockdown rules and handed out a bunch of fines.
https://www.news.com.au/national/vi...TRjsTPcS8ZtoC0E

Mithaldu posted:

in other words: unless you somehow literally spend 40 hours a week making your renter's experience better with your own labor (no that doesn't include doing your taxes), you're incomparable to a farmer

If you want to compare landlords to farmers then metaphor works a lot better if you consider the renters to be the livestock which the farmer tends in order to generate income. Slumlord tenancies would be the equivalent of battery farms where the livestock gets kept in cramped lovely conditions, upmarket tenants are more like free range stock. Background/credit checks are like checking the pedigree of your new stock, gotta make they're going to make a decent return on your investment.
And if the hens stop laying then just get rid of them and bring in new layers, easy peasy.