Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Drakyn posted:

'you must defeat the guy who wanted to stop the setting being based on acres and acres of squirming bags of racist worms because he was a very bad person and had good motives but went about them the wrong way, how tragic, perhaps in another life you could've been friends, now go do his job but properly since he was too flawed to accomplish it and you aren't.'

The classic ham-handed writing solution(applied over and over and over and over and over in media) to this problem is to have the "overzealous villain with a good cause" be defeated and personally suffer while his cause somehow is inherited by the good guys, who "do it right".

I hope we don't see that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

I trust Rich to handle things correctly in this case. He has been making Redcloak more and more sympathetic ever since the battle of Azure City (to the point where I honestly think he's about as good of a person as our protagonists), so I don't think he's just going to get thrown in the dumpster.

My guess is that next we'll see the gods take Redcloak's demands that goblins not get poo poo on anymore, and treat them roughly the same way they treated the demands of the last goblin hero who tried negotiating with them. They are so divinely petty, after all...

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
My takeaway from the "dwarves don't live hard lives" thing isn't that Redcloak will realize there is bigotry on both sides but that he will realize that while Durkon undoubtedly had an easier time of it than Redcloak and the goblins he has had his own hardships that will allow him to honestly empathize and understand Redcloaks position. Because right now he's acting like Durkon isnt capable of that and so isn't capable of arguing in good faith.

fluffyDeathbringer
Nov 1, 2017

it's not what you've got, it's what you make of it
honestly, I appreciate Redcloak's little tangents, they look to me like he's getting more comfortable with letting his guard down and letting himself have actual casual conversation with someone

could be misreading this tho

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think he's just not used to actually seriously discussing his objectives with anyone.

Everyone he's had around him until now has been either an underling that doesn't want to question him or an ally of convenience that doesn't care about his goals. Durkon might well be the first person he's spoken to in decades that is actually interested in talking over the specifics of what he really wants.

Mniot
May 22, 2003
Not the one you know

ikanreed posted:

The classic ham-handed writing solution(applied over and over and over and over and over in media) to this problem is to have the "overzealous villain with a good cause" be defeated and personally suffer while his cause somehow is inherited by the good guys, who "do it right".

I hope we don't see that.

Not by the "good guys", but we've already seen some of this with Jirax taking over the cause of Gobbotopia. Sort of a Moses-doesn't-go-to-the-promised-land ending, where Redcloak is too damaged by war and suffering to be able to complete the peace and love ending of his quest.

But things seem to be going pretty well for Redcloak right now, so I'm hoping he makes it!

I think Redcloak's digressions are maybe just a side effect of being around Xykon, who does that poo poo constantly?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lt. Danger posted:

this is probably the first time Redcloak's ever really been able to talk about The Plan, especially with someone who doesn't already agree with it

Or Xykon.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Previous dialogue has implied jirix is aware of the plan at least.

That's the closest thing he's had to a peer. Una I guess is a possibility?

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Drakyn posted:

I think this is almost guaranteed to happen and be very ugly no matter what the story does. The setting it uses is based on acres and acres of squirming bags of racist worms, and its writer has decided one of its chief (if sympathetic!) antagonists is going to be 'the guy who realizes the setting is based on acres and acres of squirming bags of racist worms and wants to stop that.' Unless the rest of the story is the protagonists (whose role in the world is 'the people who benefit greatly from the setting being based on acres and acres of squirming bags of racist worms') eventually admitting he's correct and trying to help him, it's going to be some flavour of 'you must defeat the guy who wanted to stop the setting being based on acres and acres of squirming bags of racist worms because he was a very bad person and had good motives but went about them the wrong way, how tragic, perhaps in another life you could've been friends, now go do his job but properly since he was too flawed to accomplish it and you aren't.'
Which is. Y'know. hosed.

And I think the whole 'hah, how ironic, Redcloak fails to realize that Durkon's family was poor, perhaps indeed Both Sides have bigotry that must be addressed EHHHHHHHH???' moment is a giant ringing warning as to which of those ways the story's going to end up swinging, because

is a gratuitously obvious hole in it on sight... but it clearly isn't how it's presented.

Consider that Redcloak had at least one chance to make a positive difference in a way that didn't involve a huge war on both sides, and that he also was massively prejudiced for most of his life against everyone except Goblins, such as hobgoblins.

His flaw isn't being overzealous, it's being spiteful and stuck in the past. Right-Eye said as much in start of darkness.

Time will tell how deeply his character growth has reached, but I suspect his flaws will be his undoing.

if he continues to be willing to push on with the plan he's saying his personal grievances outweigh that of everyone else, including other goblins.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jul 30, 2020

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

How broad are the Dark One's aims anyways? Una cast doubt on the whole pan-goblin identity meaningfully including bugbears, and surely goblins aren't the only sentient trash mobs out there.

Where is the justice for demon cockroaches and land jellyfish.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

SlothfulCobra posted:

Where is the justice for flumphs.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Redcloak's comment about orcs is factually incorrect as we've seen orcs ostracized for being orcs in one of the prequel books. While half-orcs do appear to be largely freely admitted into "civilised" areas and towns, orcs still face "bag of xp"-based prejudice in the OotS world.

Plus the meta involvement of possible "house-rules" brings a lot of this into question.

And it's not like people don't also want to gently caress goblins, just head to any booru-style image board and search "goblin".

oobey
Nov 19, 2002

LashLightning posted:

just head to any booru-style image board and search "goblin".

No, thank you.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Those pictures set an unattainable and unhealthy standard for young goblins everywhere, especially girls, and they're almost exclusively drawn by humans fetishizing a different race anyway.

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
also maybe people want to gently caress goblins in our world, the horniest of all worlds, but canonically in D&D world there's no evidence that humans want to gently caress anything other than other humans, elves and orcs.

dragons, fiends, and angels, though? those deviants will apparently bone anything.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Let's be hoenest, once your magic enough to shapeshift it's time to experiment.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Caidin posted:

Let's be hoenest, once your magic enough to shapeshift it's time to experiment.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

syq dude, just syq!

LashLightning posted:

Redcloak's comment about orcs is factually incorrect as we've seen orcs ostracized for being orcs in one of the prequel books. While half-orcs do appear to be largely freely admitted into "civilised" areas and towns, orcs still face "bag of xp"-based prejudice in the OotS world.

Plus the meta involvement of possible "house-rules" brings a lot of this into question.

And it's not like people don't also want to gently caress goblins, just head to any booru-style image board and search "goblin".

If all humans were like Roy and durkon redcloak wouldn't have anything to complain about.

Most are like Roy's first party

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
There is also the ever hanging meteor storm of damocles called Xykon.
Though RedCloak doesnt seem as much in despair as he was at the end of Start of Darkness

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

The success of Gobbotopia is a good fallback position in case The Plan fails, so he's a lot more confident. Plus he's got secret plots that Xykon doesn't know about now.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I'm extremely worried that Xykon is going to step out of the village and blast Durkon (and presumably his allies, when they intervene or once he's finished with the dwarf) anytime now...

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

paradoxGentleman posted:

I'm extremely worried that Xykon is going to step out of the village and blast Durkon (and presumably his allies, when they intervene or once he's finished with the dwarf) anytime now...
Nah. Speaking is a free action in 3.5e. Literally no game time has passed since the Redcloak changed the height of his seat.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

If Xykon blasts Durkon then Durkon doesn't have to explain himself to Roy. No way are we missing out on that conversation.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

FMguru posted:

Nah. Speaking is a free action in 3.5e. Literally no game time has passed since the Redcloak changed the height of his seat.

This isn't strictly true even in the context of the comic, as rounds did in fact pass by because V took too long talking.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

FMguru posted:

Rich has said that he doesn't even really use the rules as any sort of in-comic law of the universe anymore so that point is mute. Talking as a free action is fine when a ten minute turn takes up 6 seconds of game time but not when trying to put together a narrative.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe

Robviously posted:

that point is mute. Talking as a free action

Nice

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

https://twitter.com/RichBurlew/status/1289171543919144960

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
god drat it redcloak

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

:wtc:

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

New Strip https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1209.html

That sure doesn’t look like the action of someone arguing in good faith to me.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
wow nice ad hominem redcloak

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Venuz Patrol posted:

wow nice ad hominem redcloak

lmao

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Didn't Thor say that all they needed was for Redcloak to cast a 9th-level spell? Implosion fits the bill.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

REDCLOAK YOU DIPSHIT rear end in a top hat

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
I'm hoping Durkon pops back to normal thanks to a hopefully high fortitude save

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
No no no, you see. Redcloak is agreeing to the deal. He's sending Durkon directly to Thor, so Durkon can report on it.

Right? Right?

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

Didn't Thor say that all they needed was for Redcloak to cast a 9th-level spell? Implosion fits the bill.

They needed a 9th level spell slot, but I'm pretty sure they needed it to be consumed as part of a ritual or something rather than killing Durkon.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

:catstare:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

sirtommygunn posted:

They needed a 9th level spell slot, but I'm pretty sure they needed it to be consumed as part of a ritual or something rather than killing Durkon.

Here's the comic. It sounds like that, but odds are good that there's some way to make this work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser