Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Professor Wayne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWM5uha3ZMk

More info on the Avengers game. To me, it looks like a loot-treadmill with micro-transactions that has multiplayer as an afterthought. I can look past the Spaceballs-stunt double character designs, but that doesn't exactly seem like a great gameplay formula.

Well they mention new heroes and new content being added for free as well as costumes and cosmetics (and then mentioned some of those latter will be available to buy as well which is not the worst from my perspective, depends on how good the stuff available for free is), if they stick to that promise, the content in the game at launch is substantial enough, tells a full story and the core gameplay in the game is enjoyable enough then that could be somewhat compelling, that is a lot of ifs though. Making Kamala Khan Ms Marvel the initial focus character and M.O.D.O.K the main villain is at least different enough for a story as well.

I played a shitload of the first two Marvel Ultimate Alliance games, just smashing up enemies and levelling my guys up cause it was satisfying as hell. This could scratch that same itch with a little bit more depth, main concern based on those vids however is the big robots in the Thor gameplay looked a bit too tanky imo, like they were taking quite awhile to kill. If every other fight is against a big enemy that takes that long, that could get old pretty fast.

thebardyspoon fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Professor Wayne posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWM5uha3ZMk

More info on the Avengers game. To me, it looks like a loot-treadmill with micro-transactions that has multiplayer as an afterthought. I can look past the Spaceballs-stunt double character designs, but that doesn't exactly seem like a great gameplay formula.

I think it's the opposite. It looks like Destiny where the meat of it is that 4 player thing, but it has a single-player story attached. You're not wrong about loot and microtransactions though.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
The combat looking incredibly floaty and imprecise, the animations looking awful and the framerate tanking while a bunch of visual glitches happen throughout all the gameplay in these videos is not exactly a confidence booster, especially given they just straight up refuse to talk about their micro transaction scale and scope.

I don't know, Crystal Dynamics hasn't steered me wrong lately, so I'll probably check it out and maybe even cash in for the Beta, but man, it's insane to me that they teased this for so long and it looks so incredibly unrefined.

Also, probably not a great idea to have Casey Lynch do the voice work for your game presentation a few days after a bunch of accusations came out about him, but what do I know.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Jun 25, 2020

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

It looks like it has the potential to be fun but it's definitely something I'm going to wait on some reviews from actual human beings on.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Being dead and buried in quarantine has led me to clear out the Ultimate Alliance 3 DLC for the first time and it's pretty alright, I hope the one thing that the Square Enix team take for their game is Ms Marvel unintentionally being so broken as to be the most powerful character in a game that includes God Emperor Doom, Thanos with the Infinity Gauntlet and a Celestial.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Also, The Avengers has beta dates now.

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1283388696750891008?s=20

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

https://twitter.com/playavengers/status/1288527207007244290?s=21

Skinhead Hawkeye is the first post-launch hero for The Avengers, plus the beta they’re putting out seems really quite significant in terms of content.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I just hope this means that the better Hawkeye will show up soon too.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Codependent Poster posted:

I just hope this means that the better Hawkeye will show up soon too.

You’ll get your Ultimate Hawkeye and you’ll like it, I tell ya’.

They did have pizza dog as background graffiti in one trailer...

It would be cool if they did what Marvel Heroes did and gave you a Kate Barton or Jane Foster Thor as enhanced skins or whatever they were called.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The devs have stated that this version is definitely supposed to be more Hawkguy than MCU Hawkeye specifically saying that they're drawing inspiration from the Fraction series.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

The devs have stated that this version is definitely supposed to be more Hawkguy than MCU Hawkeye specifically saying that they're drawing inspiration from the Fraction series.

Yeah, no kidding.

I think the gameplay they're showing off definitely looks better than what's come before, as well, it's certainly running a lot smoother. Given how gung ho they're being about how much content they have and how quickly post-launch support will come, things seem a lot more promising for the game than they did a few months ago.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I still don't like Games as a Service things, but if they can keep putting out story missions along with characters that'll be nice.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I loving hate them, I don't think there's been a single one that's really excelled as anything other than a business proposition, but they are saying the right things and seem to be encouraging the right decisions, so I'm curious to see if they can pull it off.

I'm pretty sure it's going to be Captain Marvel, Hawkeye, Black Panther and then I don't know, Ant-Man, Wasp or Scarlet Witch for the fourth hero in the current release slate.

Characters are a lot of work, especially in this game it seems, so I'm really curious to see how they can deliver all this content plus uphold a timely release schedule for the follow-on characters and levels, etc.

I imagine the answer's probably 'they can't', but oh well.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

I wonder HOW we’re getting these new characters? Did they announce a season pass? Or are they doing the whole “post launch characters are free!” nonsense that, like, For Honor did by releasing new classes that were “free” but took a poo poo load of grinding to unlock and thus encouraging you to actually pay for them.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

omg chael crash posted:

I wonder HOW we’re getting these new characters? Did they announce a season pass? Or are they doing the whole “post launch characters are free!” nonsense that, like, For Honor did by releasing new classes that were “free” but took a poo poo load of grinding to unlock and thus encouraging you to actually pay for them.

They've said that all the updates will be free. That's about all we know right now.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

omg chael crash posted:

Everything post launch is free, except for cosmetics, of which some will be paid for.

You can only pay for cosmetics, according to the developers, so as far as we can tell you just get the new content.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

Dan Didio posted:

Yeah, no kidding.

I think the gameplay they're showing off definitely looks better than what's come before, as well, it's certainly running a lot smoother. Given how gung ho they're being about how much content they have and how quickly post-launch support will come, things seem a lot more promising for the game than they did a few months ago.

This is cool and now I just remembered I want to buy a Hawkguy t-shirt.

Also I agree re gameplay and content - I was pretty meh based upon what they had initially shown, especially with the notorious "uncanny valley of MCU likenesses but not actual license or VOA to do them," but I'm starting to come around.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Ambitious of them to model Hawkeye after Stephen Amell.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

The Question IRL posted:

Stephen Amell would probably be psyched as hell about it. He seems like a really good guy which I'm sure means in 2 years they're going to find a collection of children's shoes in his crawlspace

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Medullah posted:

I want Ron Funches voiced Killer Shark from the Harley Quinn series.

King Shark not Killer. Croc is the Killer.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

MonsterEnvy posted:

King Shark not Killer. Croc is the Killer.

Whoops how could I forget!!! Lord Funches forgive me. :D

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Medullah posted:

Stephen Amell would probably be psyched as hell about it. He seems like a really good guy which I'm sure means in 2 years they're going to find a collection of children's shoes in his crawlspace

He's an LA Kings fan.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aphrodite posted:

He's an LA Kings fan.

How did that happen? I thought he was Canadian.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Skwirl posted:

If you're cheering for any NHL team you're mostly cheering for Canadians.

Why the Kings though, maybe because of Gretzky. What's interesting is that Amell is from Toronto so I wonder if back in the day he was cheering against the Leafs in that famous series that Gretzky knocked them out of their best shot at the Cup in decades (before and since).

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

The Question IRL posted:

He looks a bit like Matt Ryan.

Like it maybe Green Arrow and Constantine had a baby

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

He lives there, but I'm not sure which came first. Seems unlikely he'd only get into hockey once he moved.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aphrodite posted:

He lives there, but I'm not sure which came first. Seems unlikely he'd only get into hockey once he moved.

Huh, I'd assumed he moved to Vancouver full time for Arrow.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
lol i deleted it before reading, but apparently the avengers game is going to have some sort of partnership with fortnight. Yeah, this is gonna be a money grab and I'm skipping it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Soonmot posted:

lol i deleted it before reading, but apparently the avengers game is going to have some sort of partnership with fortnight. Yeah, this is gonna be a money grab and I'm skipping it.

Looks like it's just some skins in Fortnite because of the beta. They've done a few Marvel crossovers the last year or two

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

Soonmot posted:

Apparently if you do the beta you get hulk/iron man fists in fortnite. I don't know how hard it will be, but it is just doubling up on insane fortnite collabs that let your squad be Colin Kaepernick, Catwoman, Hopper from Stranger Things and Cable.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

After they did a ripoff of John Wick, they also just got the actual license to do John Wick.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I thought we were basically done with the era of moneyhatted platform-exclusive content for multiplatform games, jesus

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1290331801601400832

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Ugh that's loving dumb. Guess I have to get it for that console now.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oou3IudIoC0

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Barry Convex posted:

I thought we were basically done with the era of moneyhatted platform-exclusive content for multiplatform games, jesus

https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/1290331801601400832

I refuse to believe the people in the comments, who say they own a PS4 but are gonna boycott this game over this are real.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

It probably has to do with Sony owning the movie rights to Spider-Man in perpetuity as long as they keep making films.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Skwirl posted:

It probably has to do with Sony owning the movie rights to Spider-Man in perpetuity as long as they keep making films.

And Sony being a lovely company that spearheaded the entire concept of anti-consumer exclusivity, which paid off for them repeatedly.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Is it gonna be the same Spidey from the PS4 games? I know he mentions the Avengers are on the West Coast if you go by Avengers Tower...

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Skwirl posted:

nah, the movie rights are separate from the game rights, but I'm pretty sure this is a separate moneyhat and isn't directly related to the Insomniac Spider-Man games either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Sony even sold the merchandising rights for Spider-man back to Disney in 2011, so they can't even profit off of movie tie-in games.

Sony is really loving dumb.