Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Splat
Vampire
Werewolf
Mage
Changeling
Promethean
Demon
Hunter
Sin Eater
Deviant
Mummy lol
beast?!
Goku
View Results

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
Now that we are talking Jyhad, as far as I understand, nowadays sealed jyhad boxed and boosters only have value for collectors and is considered a bad idea to open one, because there're no expensive cards for players. That's all fine and dandy, except that just now I've remembered that Magic of the smith is pricey and highly sought after and it was printed originally in Jyhad. Just right now I'm having the thought that maybe, and just maybe, the person who taught me all of this, who's also a die hard collector, is full of crap.

Beware if you want to buy or sell second hand product, as the goon above said, prices are all over the place, check reputable vendors first to gauge prices. Also be mindful that there may be some regional shenanigans, for example, around here (southern Europe) the going rate for Jyhad boosters are around 2€ or 2.5€ per booster, although I've seen people buying mint boxes at 3.5€ each. I don't have a clue if this is valid in the USA.

Angry Lobster fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jul 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

OK cool. I got your PM, lobster. I'll dig it out, take a picture or two, and put up an SA-Mart thread. I prefer to sell via SA-Mart so everything's above board and there's a visible record, it protects everyone involved, a bit.

I will say up front though, international shipping from the US is pretty expensive these days.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf
Speaking of VTES, the new "Expandable Card Game" Rivals is coming to kickstarter soon. It looks very different from VTES, but I was a little surprised to see they're using the same icons to represent Disciplines.

https://www.renegadegamestudios.com/news/2020/7/14/vampire-the-masquerade-rivals-expandable-card-game-kickstarter

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Free Gratis posted:

Speaking of VTES, the new "Expandable Card Game" Rivals is coming to kickstarter soon. It looks very different from VTES, but I was a little surprised to see they're using the same icons to represent Disciplines.

https://www.renegadegamestudios.com/news/2020/7/14/vampire-the-masquerade-rivals-expandable-card-game-kickstarter

As of V5, those are the official icons for those disciplines in the corebook. I guess since they own them, they thought they might as well use them.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

As of V5, those are the official icons for those disciplines in the corebook. I guess since they own them, they thought they might as well use them.

I guess that'll teach me for largely ignoring V5.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

What does VTES stand for? Vampires The Expendable... ssssomething?

e: Ah, Vampire The Eternal Struggle. I don't really understand the sense of having two card games for the same franchise. It seems like a good way to split your profits and create confusion.

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Jul 31, 2020

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

It's essentially what happened with Rage 2nd edition. None of your old cards were compatible from the the Las Vegas expansion onward. People decided that meant Rage 1e was dead, and were mad enough not to get into 2e.

VtES being supported and its legacy players will probably keep it going, especially with the new starter set on the way. This side game almost seems intentionally timed to sabotage any resurgence though - it's kind of baffling.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

paradoxGentleman posted:

What does VTES stand for? Vampires The Expendable... ssssomething?

e: Ah, Vampire The Eternal Struggle. I don't really understand the sense of having two card games for the same franchise. It seems like a good way to split your profits and create confusion.

Good question, I don't know what Paradox is thinking, maybe they think there's a niche for a vampire ccg 1vs1 game but anything more than that and it will compete against Vtes, so dunno. Maybe the actual reason is that they don't give a poo poo about Vtes allthogether, who knows.

Leperflesh posted:

OK cool. I got your PM, lobster. I'll dig it out, take a picture or two, and put up an SA-Mart thread. I prefer to sell via SA-Mart so everything's above board and there's a visible record, it protects everyone involved, a bit.

I will say up front though, international shipping from the US is pretty expensive these days.

It's fine, go ahead. Also you make a good point about shipping fees, sometimes I forget we are in the middle of this global pandemic that's loving everything up.

moths posted:

It's essentially what happened with Rage 2nd edition. None of your old cards were compatible from the the Las Vegas expansion onward. People decided that meant Rage 1e was dead, and were mad enough not to get into 2e.

VtES being supported and its legacy players will probably keep it going, especially with the new starter set on the way. This side game almost seems intentionally timed to sabotage any resurgence though - it's kind of baffling.

If I understand correctly, then Rage 1rst and 2nd edition were practically different games as their cards were not compatible with each other? That's some really hosed up design decision.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

moths posted:

Angry Lobster posted:

If I understand correctly, then Rage 1rst and 2nd edition were practically different games as their cards were not compatible with each other? That's some really hosed up design decision.

Rage 2nd (aka Rage Across Las Vegas aka Tribal War) was a completely different game from the 1st edition (aka Apocalypse). White Wolf discontinued the Apocalypse version in 1996 and sold the Rage license to Five Rings Publishing, who subsequently put out Tribal War in 1998 and gave the game a much needed rules overhaul, because Apocalypse was an absolute mess of technical and natural language that would even make the D&D 5E design team blush.

Unfortunately, Five Rings got acquired by WotC, and subsequently Hasbro. Some fans cut a deal with White Wolf to make fan sets for the Apocalypse version, however, from my understanding, even though White Wolf is the primary license holder, Hasbro still has partial rights to Tribal War, and they're content to just sit on it.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Free Gratis posted:

I guess that'll teach me for largely ignoring V5.

No, you were right to do such for the most part.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
What sort of feel do you all go for in your games? I had a random brain fart that made me realize that I'm not doing modern horror, but urban fantasy in my games. Add in a dash of angry leftist and saute in pro queer content, garnish with a bit of camp and that's all my games.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Soonmot posted:

What sort of feel do you all go for in your games? I had a random brain fart that made me realize that I'm not doing modern horror, but urban fantasy in my games. Add in a dash of angry leftist and saute in pro queer content, garnish with a bit of camp and that's all my games.
"Lynchian" occasionally veering into "Jojo's bizarre adventure."

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

As someone who just generally is unaffected by horror of all stripes, I tend towards interpersonal and operatic drama all tangled up in Weird poo poo. I'm not sure it counts as Urban Fantasy since, in my experience, UF tends to quickly grow universe-shaking conflicts and monster-of-the-week stuff even in novels, and I prefer strong, focused, relatively grounded settings and themes. This is probably why I prefer Mage over all the lines in every iteration, because it's the one that's already more abstract about what it's doing out of the box. You can wrestle with the fundamentals of reality and go on wild vision quests, but it can all still technically be happening in one city the whole time.

(That said, my last game was a magical road trip that was 90% MOTW while it lasted.)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
For nWoD I usually go for John Carpenter.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Soonmot posted:

I haven't watched it but I think it's "What We Do In The Shadows," but with more Nazi killing.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

OK I've dug out the box and thrown it up on SA-Mart.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3935056

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Soonmot posted:

oWoD: A mix of tropes from 80s action and comedy movies, with some cheap drama.

Kindred of the East: Recently I played my first videogame of the Yakuza series, and in hindsight I realized all our games were a mix of "Yakuza but with vampires" and "Big trouble in little China".

DantetheK9
Feb 2, 2020

Just...so fucking tired.

I mostly run W:tA, and it tends towards Urban Fantasy with some horror seasoning in my hands.

Along with pacing and subplotting heavily influenced by Chris Claremont's original X-Men run (We don't talk about the 2000's run.)

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Soonmot posted:

My mage game is a strange mix of personal horror, urban fantasy, and science fiction. No, I can’t entirely explain how we got here, but here we are.

I think if we manage to move to Geist 2e it’ll be mostly personal horror and revolution.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Soonmot posted:

I aim for At the Mountains of Madness and inevitably it slowly devolves into Scooby Doo.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I aim for At the Mountains of Madness and inevitably it slowly devolves into Scooby Doo.

It's not that bad, it really depends on what kind of Scooby Doo we are talking about, "Scooby Doo and Kiss: Rock 'n Rolly Mystery" is very old Mage.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Do Shoggoths chase you through a hallway full of parallel doors?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I don't really set out to make things that are scary as opposed to weird or interesting when I run WoD games but will occasionally make something really creepy or horrifying almost by accident, just as a consequence of the setting. I had a tenement colonized by biomechanical spiders who had basically sewn webbing-cable into the bodies of tenants there to entrap and puppeteer them, for instance - people were effectively leashed to the walls for the most part, and their musculoskeletal and endocrine systems were physically yanked and pressurized to largely stop them from doing anything about it - and only after my Mage players had finished investigating it and were sitting down to figure out what to actually do did it strike me that it was actually a massive humanitarian disaster and thoroughly awful to contemplate.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Omnicrom posted:

Do Shoggoths chase you through a hallway full of parallel doors?

I had a short-lived Demon campaign where one of my players' Covers was a veterinarian, and I had a really great tense mini-arc set up for her about delivering an aether-mutated calf that escaped into the woods that she wanted to capture both out of pity for the thing and because it had a high risk of drawing God-Machine attention to the area. I got to describe a lot of really gross details in order to establish this creature as something whose very existence was miserable and to get the player conflicted about whether to save or mercy kill it (in addition to it potentially growing into something dangerous rather than merely pathetic).

In the same campaign I had several of the other players get into what was originally going to be a combat encounter with a couple of ghosts in a haunted theater (the lead-in to realizing that one of the locals in town was an Exile using ghosts as a source of intel) that turned into more of a chase / RP encounter because I was relatively new to the system and hadn't realized that the players were near-incapable of harming them.

Skewing towards a goofier tone is basically my fall-back either when I'm tired and struggling to improvise properly or when I've screwed up mechanically and made things too difficult. It's not entirely intentional -- when I'm at my best I can keep the urge in check -- but if I'm not paying close enough attention it's the well I always sort of gravitate towards.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Aug 1, 2020

Saman
Oct 23, 2008

Next, you'll say...
"What a good post!"

What are people's feelings about Deviant? I think I remember seeing a few people pretty positive about it and I'm thinking about hitting up the backerkit for the PDF soon.

On topic, my WoD games have both been closer to magical realism/urban fantasy than outright horror for the most part. Though the Mage game did include a Scelesti psychologist who was stealing the souls of his patients studying the strange, partially-awakened soul of a player's brother, so grain of salt. Then again, they did have an extremely hilariously awkward dinner party and invited him so the player could try to discreetly threaten him with the full force of the Mysterium about the whole thing (and then ask him to share what he knows because there's no way he wasn't gonna dive face first into whatever the hell was going on with That).

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Saman posted:

What are people's feelings about Deviant? I think I remember seeing a few people pretty positive about it and I'm thinking about hitting up the backerkit for the PDF soon.

It's super good! The game I've in has been running slow, real life and all, but it hits a lot of the same notes for me as Hunter: the Vigil First Edition did, a wide open game that hits a broad archetype and embraces being able to do tons of freely defined stuff within that archetype. Chargen can get a little involved, for better or worse, in that Deviant has some superhero game DNA in it in the way that you build your powers and drawbacks in a manner that is not quite raw point-buy but feels like the closest CofD gets to it. There's a lot of room for imagination and reskinning to use broadly defined Variations and Scars to represent different ideas, and it's a game where your character's monstrous drawbacks and weaknesses feel like they're just as responsible for being a cool, interesting character as their powers are. It makes crippling weaknesses feel fun.

I'm still getting used to the conspiracy-thriller pacing of the Web of Pain, so I haven't reached my final judgments on the game yet. If I had to point out weaknesses in the corebook I can name two mechanical holes: it needs more General Deviations to be able to tag temporary dots onto miscellaneous Scars, because your options for how to express a Scar temporarily worsening due to instability are pretty limited, and there are basically no guidelines for the Storyteller on how to design a conspiracy's Icons, the signature assets and advantages of a conspiracy's organization, just a small handful of arbitrarily designed Icons for specific example conspiracies. These are problems in the preview manuscript PDF; I don't know how much things will change in the final book. I know some Scars and Deviations are getting rewritten or at least tweaked.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Soonmot posted:

When I'm thinking ahead about future arcs and scenes I try to swing genre and mood around - maybe this will be some Art Bell type high strangeness in the American west, maybe that will be some gnostic melodrama crossed with kaiju, etc. When I have to extemporize, either because I'm lazy or because the players wandered off the map, I end up with like a 2:2:1 ratio of horror:fantasy:comedy with random spikes of melancholy whenever I realize I've accidentally posited an achingly sad person or situation.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Soonmot posted:

Dark urban fantasy, really; sometimes horror but I'm not particularly fond of pure horror outside of a one-shot. I did have a ton of fun with Mage as paranoid mystery unraveling, though, with political and magical intrigue slowly becoming clear. That was very fun, and had a lot of scope for players to make bad decisions while still working towards an important goal (hunting down Tremere liches embedded in the local Diamond Orders, and dealing with the fallout from having hunted down and destroyed people's mentors and associates, even with good cause).

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

Saman posted:

Deviant's super cool and I can't wait for a backer PDF that doesn't look like poo poo to come out, so I don't have to parse word-formatted non-tables for half the stuff in a point-based char-gen game.

But it's very cool, if a little overwhelming to plan to ST, given how open-ended the theoretical "lore" is.

Baby Broomer
Feb 19, 2013

Soonmot posted:

After struggling with this myself, I realized my games are trashy crime dramas that occasionally rip off Call of Cthulhu, JoJo's Bizzare Adventure, or Hotline Miami. While I love the game for its ability to let players approach challenges mentally or socially, I lean heavy into grotesque imagery due to how rocket tag fighting is in nWoD 2e.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Baby Broomer posted:

After struggling with this myself, I realized my games are trashy crime dramas that occasionally rip off Call of Cthulhu, JoJo's Bizzare Adventure, or Hotline Miami. While I love the game for its ability to let players approach challenges mentally or socially, I lean heavy into grotesque imagery due to how rocket tag fighting is in nWoD 2e.

my players and I are all in on "be gay, do crime" so I feel you

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Hey WoD goons, there's some Vampire: the Eternal Struggle news I want to talk about.

The July VEKN newsletter (VEKN stands for Vampire:Elder Kindred Network, the official player's organization) has some really interesting news. Aside from a new vampire being spoiled for the 5th edition (who's super great btw, I'll talk more about the new 5th edition crypts in the future) and some Q &A about the banning of the racist cards, this has finally been officially confirmed:

We alredy knew unofficially that there was a Banu Haqim and anarch preconstructed decks in the works to be released after 5th edition starter set and it's fnally been officially announced.

The 5th edition starter box of the game is clearly aimed at newbies, although it has some reprints of highly sought cards to appeal to veterans as well. The consensus is that while they are balanced for beginners, they are not on the same level power-wise as the Sabbath precons printed last year. Those new announced precon decks are implied to be more complex, with more new crypt and library cards. Remember that all products from now on, starting on the 5th edition, follows the V5 lore, so there's many new changes. Let's talk about them one by one.

First, although the announcement doesn't say so, I've been told that the Banu Haqim and the Ministry will be treated as brand new clans, and its vampires will have their corresponding V5 discipline spread, this is huge in multiple ways, first among many, is that they will lose access to all their old clan cards and their old signature disciplines, quietus for the Assamites and serpentis for the Followers of Set. At first glance, it seems kind of sad for them to lose access to their defining discipline for the last 25 years, however for the Banu Haqim it's actually good because quietus was one of the worst disciplines of the game, bar none, which actually compensated for their great crypt selection and good clan cards.

Banu Haqim's clan disciplines are obfuscate, celerity and thaumaturgy in V5 (and yes, I'm aware it's actually more complicated than that, but bear with me on this), it's an odd mix because obfuscate lends itself to either stealth bleed or politics, celerity is mostly a combat discipline with some limited utility outside of it and thaumaturgy is a toolbox discipline that does a bit of everything (except politics) but doesn't excel at anything. What it really hurts is losing the assamite clan cards and their great vampires, although now that the Banu Haqim are fully integrated as a Camarilla clan it means we have a good chance to have more good titled vamps to get access to those sweet sweet Camarilla sect clans.

The new discipline spread of the Followers of Set/Ministry is protean, obfuscate and presence, as serpentis is now a specialty of protean. Let me tell you something goon-fellas, this is one of the scariest offensive clan discipline combos in the game, and if they get good crypt cards, the Ministry will be a scary bunch. Presence is the premier political discipline and at the same time it's a good bleed tool, just a step behind dominate. Obfuscate is the best stealth discipline, it's both great for bleeding and political archetypes. Protean is a toolbox discipline, with decent stealth modifiers (although costly in blood), decent combat utility and the best combat ends in the game, chief among them Form of Mist and Earth Control. Also it's worth remembering that there's some really good anarch cards with protean and presence, which is too convenient because most of the Ministry's members are now anarchs in V5. Furthermore, there's some really scary anarch political cards which are only kept in check by the lack of decent anarch titled vampires, so another good avenue for the Ministry to explore. The only weakness of this discipline spread is the lack of innate bleed bounce, however that's a weaknesss that the current Followers of Set also have and they are a viable clan, so no biggies here.

Finally the Brujah and Gangrel are now mostly anarch clans with no more major changes, I'm looking forward to what new vamps and cards they come up with.

Now on a personal note, yesterday I got to meet with my usual playgroup and and play some games to prepare for an upcoming tournament, it has been four months since the last time I got to play this game due to COVID shenanigans and real life fuckery. Also I won two games and nearly won another, so major boost of confidence for me.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Banu Haqim deck? Right on. (I apologize if in the future I slip up and call them Assamites again.)

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Zereth posted:

Edge cases aside what happens if you try to use the Gift somewhere other than the US that isn't divided up by states?

Non New World Bone Gnawers all get murdered before they can get enough Renown because European Garou are jerks, Australian Gnawers are too busy getting murdered by ghost-Bunyip and Rokea, the Hakken wouldn't a suffer a Bone Gnawer in their territory, Black Tooth murdered all the Bone Gnawers in Africa for allying with the Ajaba, and the poor bastard who tried to use it in Antarctica ceased to exist so hard nobody remembers their name.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor

Dawgstar posted:

Banu Haqim deck? Right on. (I apologize if in the future I slip up and call them Assamites again.)

I guess "Banu Haqim" is shorter and more convenient than "Assamites exiles in the Camarilla".

Angry Lobster posted:

First, although the announcement doesn't say so, I've been told that the Banu Haqim and the Ministry will be treated as brand new clans, and its vampires will have their corresponding V5 discipline spread, this is huge in multiple ways, first among many, is that they will lose access to all their old clan cards and their old signature disciplines, quietus for the Assamites and serpentis for the Followers of Set. At first glance, it seems kind of sad for them to lose access to their defining discipline for the last 25 years, however for the Banu Haqim it's actually good because quietus was one of the worst disciplines of the game, bar none, which actually compensated for their great crypt selection and good clan cards.

I've been just told by one of the top dogs in Black Chantry that I'm loving wrong and both the Banu Haqim and the Ministry will be able to use their old clan cards and viceversa, be fully compatible, they are just good ol' Assamites and Followers of Set with fancy different names and clan symbols. That's what I get for believing "trusted sources" :v:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The expandable Vampire card game, Rivals, just launched its KS. Already blown past its goal.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The fact they used Danse Macabre as a tagline just makes me angry they didn't use Requiem.

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
Ed Simon, Scelestus

https://twitter.com/getfiscal/status/1290700203293581312?s=20

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I feel like the implication here is not, as intended, 'everyone is worth preserving' but rather 'nothing is worth preserving, hail the void' but also the idea of a Scelestus applying for a grant and license to put up a monument to nonexistence is pretty great.

Also "The Unknown America" is a great name for like, a weird nightside dimension. Right now I'd consider moving there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
Hey people, some Vampire: the Masquerade news:

New Vampire: the Masquerade comic preview.

Set in the V5 lore, looks decent enough, I guess?