Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

super sweet best pal posted:

Why not just have different rules/stats for mech vs mech and mech vs unmeched characters like they did with the fire plane whales in the sun campaign?

Probably because learning a whole new set of rules of how things interact with each other is difficult enough for the GM, but to get your players to do it is usually like pulling teeth. It's not too difficult, you just have to calculate things once per level, which isn't hard. It's a lot of information going into it, and they'll probably streamline it once the playtest is over.

The new Nanocyte class looks amazing for Starfinder, and my PF2 Advanced Players Guide just shipped! lots of fun stuff going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Arivia posted:

For 1e start with the revised and compiled Rise of the Runelords. For 2e probably Age of Ashes. Pathfinder rotates between one standard and one weird adventure path, so for 2e your options are Age of Ashes (ancient magic, dragons, standard); Extinction Curse (circuses and dinosaurs, weird), and Agents of Edgewatch (play city police, was supposed to be standard but is really really awkward to play with everything going on right now).

If you haven't played either, 2e is the much better edition to get into for new players.

It's funny how the next two APs are totally breaking that pattern with the next one being a dungeon crawl (normal) followed by a martial arts tournament (weird)

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Blockhouse posted:

It's funny how the next two APs are totally breaking that pattern with the next one being a dungeon crawl (normal) followed by a martial arts tournament (weird)

Aren't these two also extra unusual in that they're both 3 volume APs instead of 6?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Starfinder is Very Bad, and without even looking its implementation of mechs is basically guaranteed to suck, with the only thing being that if it had more like this from the beginning it would have at least been more interesting.

Now that I have looked, the Starfinder team have really outdone themselves this time, I'm actually amazed at how bad that is

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

EVGA Longoria posted:

Aren't these two also extra unusual in that they're both 3 volume APs instead of 6?

Yeah. Not sure how to feel about that.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Starfinder's done the three-volume AP a bit and it seems to have been popular. Note the next two are set up so that your characters can do all six in order: the dungeon crawl from 1-10 and then the martial arts tournament from 11-20.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Arivia posted:

and then the martial arts tournament from 11-20.

Huh, maybe I should give Starfinder another chance.

Starfinder is such a good idea, but after playing Pathfinder 2e (which I love) it seems so much of a missed opportunity mechanically. Still, anything I can pitch as "Mass Effect, but also d&d" is something I can get people to try out if the mood strikes me.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Huh, maybe I should give Starfinder another chance.

We're talking about PF2e with the tournament

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
doubleposting because APG is out! Lost Omens Legends isn't yet because they broke the PDF purchasing link

look at this loving kobold!

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
APG is rad, Marshal is rad, it's all rad

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Blockhouse posted:

doubleposting because APG is out! Lost Omens Legends isn't yet because they broke the PDF purchasing link

look at this loving kobold!

I'm not a fan of the 2e Kobold look. Too much like brightly colored Gila Monsters and less Dragon-lings.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Kvantum posted:

I'm not a fan of the 2e Kobold look. Too much like brightly colored Gila Monsters and less Dragon-lings.
I like the system but I don’t particularly like the art in 2e generally. It’s much more cartoony and steampunky (without the punk?) than I like my settings. Shadow of the Demon Lord is much more my style, art-wise.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Kvantum posted:

I prefer it to the ones that look like scaly dogs, not sure if that's a recent trend or not.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Blockhouse posted:

We're talking about PF2e with the tournament

Heartbreakering

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

GetDunked posted:

I prefer it to the ones that look like scaly dogs, not sure if that's a recent trend or not.

Yeah I much rather have the PF2e designs than attempts to make them look like tiny dragonborn

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 30, 2020

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I like the Pathfinder 2e kobolds because it finally gives them a more distinct look than "like generic lizardmen, but smaller and scrawnier".

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Froghammer posted:

APG is rad, Marshal is rad, it's all rad

for context, marshal is the new 4e warlord-style archetype with a lazylord ability https://2e.aonprd.com/Archetypes.aspx?ID=66

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The designs deviates from the norm in a way that really appeals to me and definitely makes me want the book more really.

psudonym55
Nov 23, 2014
I do like that combat assessment rewards you for actually having knowledge skills as a fighter.

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Arivia posted:

for context, marshal is the new 4e warlord-style archetype with a lazylord ability https://2e.aonprd.com/Archetypes.aspx?ID=66

Wasn't "marshal" the name for warlord in 3.5 (miniatures handbook)?

Eastmabl
Jan 29, 2019

Sodomy Hussein posted:

Starfinder is Very Bad, and without even looking its implementation of mechs is basically guaranteed to suck, with the only thing being that if it had more like this from the beginning it would have at least been more interesting.

Now that I have looked, the Starfinder team have really outdone themselves this time, I'm actually amazed at how bad that is

I won't weigh on Badness, but I was very bummed to see that Starfinder seemed like PF1 with some space opera stapled on.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Eastmabl posted:

Wasn't "marshal" the name for warlord in 3.5 (miniatures handbook)?
Nah, the marshal was still stuck in the design hell for d20 martial characters. The Miniatures Handbook was very early for 3.5 so all the marshal gets for class features are some circumstantial auras that only niche builds cared about* plus giving people move actions a few times per day. It was so anemic that you'd be better served picking fighter.

All that's not to say that there was nothing in 3. that suggested the 4e warlord, let alone the lazylord. One of the disciplines from Tome of Battle was White Raven which focused heavily on buffing your allies and sometimes even giving them free attacks or charges.

*At 1st level the marshal can pick up a minor aura which grants your Charisma mod as a bonus to some secondary rolls within 60'...most of the time. The big standout let you grant +Cha to your party's initiative, so you could just burn one of your levels in exchange for giving the whole party action advantage.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

Eastmabl posted:

I won't weigh on Badness, but I was very bummed to see that Starfinder seemed like PF1 with some space opera stapled on.

It's fun as hell don't listen to that jerk.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Hmm Martial Artist now gives a non Monk the option of going full Unarmed. More or less. Opens up a lot of Monk feats like Stances as well. But not sure how well it will work as the Stances at least require being Unarmored and depending on the class you might not have all that good of an Unarmored Proficiency.

Dragon Disciple also looks interesting, but one of feats gives a +2 status bonus to unarmored defense, but a max dex mod to defense of +2.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Eastmabl posted:

That's exactly what it is. Instead of anything fresh it's just Pathfinder with "Star" instead of "Path" and a generous helping of extra jank revolving around any new system they developed.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
If we're reopening the Starfinder debate, I found it to be unfun. I thought the mechanical simplifications did little to improve the game, the itemization was awful and almost entirely devoid of character, ship combat was tedious and poorly balanced, and class design overall left a lot to be desired. It felt like an overgrown playtest.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Ryuujin posted:

Hmm Martial Artist now gives a non Monk the option of going full Unarmed. More or less. Opens up a lot of Monk feats like Stances as well. But not sure how well it will work as the Stances at least require being Unarmored and depending on the class you might not have all that good of an Unarmored Proficiency.

Everyone has just as good an Unamored Proficiency as they do Armored.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Hmm that might not be bad then, although it does suggest you will need good Dex, or something like Mountain Stance.

Trying to figure out what would be the best use of Dragon Disciple, I feel like a Kobold is required. But I feel like you would need a class where you don't really want their class feats. Unless I am misremembering what feat selections can be used on Archetypes.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Martial artist seems like a given for Investigators.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Oh really? I will need to read the Investigators stuff again, since I haven't read the finalized stuff for it.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ryuujin posted:

Oh really? I will need to read the Investigators stuff again, since I haven't read the finalized stuff for it.

I mean more thematically than ruleswise because I also haven't had a time to really look over things.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Okay I have a question for those more familiar with PF2, since I haven't had the chance to actually play it. Is there any restriction on precision damage once per turn or anything?

Because looking at Investigator and I can actually see it working real well, especially since Martial Artist doesn't have any level 10 feats, and a level 10 feat for Investigator lets them add precision dice on agile/finesse weapon and unarmed attacks even when not using their Devise a Strategem to use Int instead of the normal stat.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Precision damage is just an element, like fire or poison damage, so it should not be limited.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Well trying to look on the Paizo forums for some discussion of the book, came across a build thread. And it came out Investigator Assassin. Just laying in wait, watching a target, and every round while setting up your Assassinate, you Devise a Strategem until you get a 20. Then use that 20 for a crit.

But yeah Investigator Martial Artist sounds like it could be fun, doesn't get Legendary Unarmored like a Monk obviously, but does eventually get to Master.

Oh hmm not sure if Martial Artist gives an agile/finesse unarmed attack or not, if not it won't work with the Investigator class feature/feat. Though some of the Stance Feats can fix that. Tiger would also do slashing damage which opens up the Scalpel feat for more bleed damage on a Devise a Stratagem crit if you go Forensic Investigator and can spare the feat.

Ryuujin fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jul 31, 2020

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Unarmed strikes are Agile/Finesse by default.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Ah okay. I couldn't find anything about that, and was unsure since some of the Monk Stances, that Martial Artist can grab, specifically mention Agile or Finesse while others don't mention them.

And now while looking at the official forums I came across a post about another product. Apparently Legendary Games released their Legendary Kineticist for PF2e. Looks interesting so far, definitely has the PF2e feel for the most part. Though I haven't actually gotten to the feats or Infusions yet. Infusions end up being Focus Spells, they get Accept Burn which instead of taking that weird damage that Kineticists had in 1e causes them to have Stunned 2 for a round, and also Gather Power eventually as an action 1/round that lets them use an Infusion with 1 less Focus Point Cost.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So if an action has the nonlethal tag does that mean Its always nonlethal or does that mean it has the option of being nonlethal? All on monks strikes have nonlethal so I was a little confused

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe
It does nonlethal by default, but you can deal lethal by taking a penalty to your attack roll. Monks get a class feature that lets them deal lethal damage with unarmed attacks without the penalty.

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

Ryuujin posted:

Well trying to look on the Paizo forums for some discussion of the book, came across a build thread. And it came out Investigator Assassin. Just laying in wait, watching a target, and every round while setting up your Assassinate, you Devise a Strategem until you get a 20. Then use that 20 for a crit.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but this doesn't really seem to work. You could fish for a crit which would make the initial attack hurt a lot, but the bonus damage and death effect are linked to the enemy making a separate basic Fortitude save. So you getting a 20 can't cause them to critically fail that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Elysiume posted:

the itemization was awful and almost entirely devoid of character

For me, this is the biggest 'ew' factor. The rest is at least functional as 'Pathfinder in space with tier 3 classes', but everything about the weapon and armor systems seems to have been designed to be as painful as possible to work with. Who in the world thought giant tables with 3-5 different versions of every single weapon and armor by level was a good idea?