Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

I think Harry has a specific ideology before the game starts because there's a lot of things he does that can't be changed: he works for the state either as a gym teacher or a cop, he wants to have a home and a family, and he's got a flawed relationship with Dora that eventually drives him into being an alcoholic workaholic. Harry's background is the colors of the Revachol flag (the flag's colors fit the city's ideology: liberalism and nationalism, for the most part) and he's straight up the chosen one of the city herself, who someday needs to save the city from being destroyed by a nuke -- on the portrait there's this white "aura" between Harry & Revachol itself, and that's moralism/Dora/the madonna-whore complex that Harry carries around. I don't think of it as an actual aura, though -- the white shape around him looks more like he was cut and pasted from another layer in Photoshop. Harry's out of place in the city because he's living an existence entirely based on all that Dora stuff, and that's why it looks like he was cut and pasted into the city. He's wildly out of place, and especially because he's either an amnesiac or pretending to be one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Roctavian posted:

I think Harry has a specific ideology before the game starts because there's a lot of things he does that can't be changed: he works for the state either as a gym teacher or a cop, he wants to have a home and a family, and he's got a flawed relationship with Dora that eventually drives him into being an alcoholic workaholic. Harry's background is the colors of the Revachol flag (the flag's colors fit the city's ideology: liberalism and nationalism, for the most part) and he's straight up the chosen one of the city herself, who someday needs to save the city from being destroyed by a nuke -- on the portrait there's this white "aura" between Harry & Revachol itself, and that's moralism/Dora/the madonna-whore complex that Harry carries around. I don't think of it as an actual aura, though -- the white shape around him looks more like he was cut and pasted from another layer in Photoshop. Harry's out of place in the city because he's living an existence entirely based on all that Dora stuff, and that's why it looks like he was cut and pasted into the city. He's wildly out of place, and especially because he's either an amnesiac or pretending to be one.

But if you stick to certain ideologies, the bums and your cop friends recognise this as your previous beliefs The game makes it clear the you arent building a new character, but just remembering your old life/personality. Even if you reject your name, you start saying it with a sigh in the last third of the game, because Harry knows hes not Cousteau. It doesnt fit neatly into politics at all.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Not all the portraits are 100% color coded, but many of them are.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I just reckon Harry's bounced back and forth between every ideology so much that whatever he settles on through gameplay has people going 'Yeah, that sounds about right'.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

Yeah. And like, sorry Arrhy but that's what I think about the Egghead portrait, I think it's just a dude who has light blasting out of his head because HARD CORE TO THE MEGA -- like, I do think that black in Andre & Noid's portraits represents cynicism or nihilism (and in a few other portraits like Jean and Pissf****t and Ruby and so on) and in contrast Egghead's face kind of emerges from this dark space that's at the bottom of his portrait but I don't think that was an "idea" choice as much as an image composition choice.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I just reckon Harry's bounced back and forth between every ideology so much that whatever he settles on through gameplay has people going 'Yeah, that sounds about right'.

This. Harry is for whichever cause and belief system can help him make sense of himself and his world in the moment. Not only is that a more realistic depiction of how humans tend to operate, especially flawed ones, but also allows you to play Harry however you want, and it’s always “correct”.

Roctavian
Feb 23, 2011

But like, to support Knuc's point, why isn't there red on Harry's portrait because my Harry is hella communist? I honestly don't think that's an important part of his life before this adventure. I can't remember Jean or Judit making any comments about him being a communist during the ending, but I remember other posters talking about it. If it's just Jean, then I feel comfortable disregarding his take on Harry's ideology because he says lots of poo poo that's entirely based on his experience of being stuck in a seemingly never-ending series of traumatic group projects with a partner who both carries him & makes his life terrible.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Arrhythmia posted:

Egghead disertation is a must

...but is it really?

thetan_guy42
Oct 15, 2016

murdera

Lipstick Apathy
i really want to like this game but i've hit a point where the cool soundtrack and world have stagnated while i stumble through my first playthrough trying to figure everything out. if the city was much bigger i could distract myself like the game suggests but as it is im rehashing every single line of questioning that was hosed up before and very slowly gaining progress and killing time until the dumb bridge is open. my irl morale is suffering from my own incompetence so i guess i relate to the disco guy

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Roctavian posted:

Wait I need the second part of that explained to me.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Knuc U Kinte posted:

The portrait colours are carefully thought out, but I need convincing that they're supposed to be tied up neatly into political ideologies. It doesn't line up at all, even with a cursory glance.

I'd say the clearest throughline here is with the union members portraits, although your right in that its not a style that they've committed to in every portrait.

I wish I had a better grasp of art so I could pick up on more of the subtle stuff. One thing that sticks out to me is that the mercenaries have these large blocks of colours floating up off them. It always felt to me as giving the portraits a sort of transitory nature. This speaks to both their jobs, but also to part of their essential nature; none of them are truly living in the moment of the mercenary tribunal. As a group they are mired in their past trauma of acting as a tool for imperialism.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

I played thru it again focusing on the apocalypse, communism, and motoronics, this time.

It was disappointing that the cryptid appears even if you dont finish the cryptid quests. It was out of place since i only checked like 1 trap and didnt ask about them at all. I was hoping the resolution of the game would totally skip it.

getting cuno as a partner was pretty great. he knows about the phasmids. cuno knows poo poo.

I didnt tell kim i had memory loss but he seems to know and offer this up to joyce right away.

I have some questions:

is it possible to get across the waterlock before day 3?

can you actually get into that bunker door near the church? do you just need to save scum it or is there something i missed about how to get in? Is it part of a quest chain?

Is it possible to get stuck where you cannot advance to find ruby or find the island in the last part?

it's time for art-cop/superstar cop now.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Philman posted:

I have some questions:

is it possible to get across the waterlock before day 3?

can you actually get into that bunker door near the church? do you just need to save scum it or is there something i missed about how to get in? Is it part of a quest chain?

Is it possible to get stuck where you cannot advance to find ruby or find the island in the last part?

it's time for art-cop/superstar cop now.

1. nope

2. no, never. in fact, even if you pass the check, it doesn't work. I actually did this a couple days ago and can confirm, you can roll >20 on the Interfacing check with juiced stats and luck/savescumming, and it doesn't open the door anyway. if you mouseover the check info you'll see it says "INEVITABLY FAILED" instead of just "FAILED". this is also the case with at least one other check, the reaction speed check during the tribunal to dodge getting shot: you always fail regardless of the numerical result.

3. I don't think so. I guess in principle you could screw up finding Ruby by exhausting every single bonus to the big Shivers check, consuming every source of experience so you can't level up any more, and then rolling snake eyes. the odds of that happening accidentally are astronomical, though. as for the island, if you didn't arrest her, Klaasje will leave behind a ballistics analysis of the shot before fleeing, so you get pointed there... but what if you arrest her and also never finish the visual calculus check that points you to the boardwalk/land's end/the island? that I don't know. interesting question. I assume there's failsafes where Kim would suggest it or something.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

is it the same with that container in the docks? the one that makes fun of you when you try to use reasoning on the door?

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Philman posted:

is it the same with that container in the docks? the one that makes fun of you when you try to use reasoning on the door?

That one can be opened.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Philman posted:

beaten but nope, you can actually get in there. as time passes you get bonuses to that check ("been in this world for many days"), and if you get in you can see one of the funnier encounters in the game.

e-dt
Sep 16, 2019

By the way, white not red is the colour of communism in Elysium.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Philman posted:

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

actually, while I'm at it, what are the checks that must absolutely, no-other-choice be passed to complete the game?

I guess you need to make a check to get into the harbor: either conceptualization to internalize advanced race theory, physical instrument to beat up Measurehead, or savoir faire to jump to your cloak. (e: oh and I guess getting to that jump requires a Perception check too, to get into cuno's shack.) I haven't seen it myself but I've heard that if you fail the Authority/Logic checks against Titus three times, Kim will step in and do it for you. then there's the Big Shivers Check, then either a savoir faire or physical instrument check to get inside the building. if those two have failsafes, I'm not aware of them. I don't remember any must-pass checks after those. are there any others besides those which don't have an alternate no-check-required route?

World War Mammories fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 31, 2020

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

World War Mammories posted:

beaten but nope, you can actually get in there. as time passes you get bonuses to that check ("been in this world for many days"), and if you get in you can see one of the funnier encounters in the game.

goddamn, 3rd times the charm i guess. i'll try again this playthru.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

All three T checks (and you only NEED to pass 2, IIRC) have Kim take over the third time you fail. As I noted above, you have enough modifiers for the Shivers check to get 97% with 0 in Shivers. Not sure about the check to actually enter the building.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

wiegieman posted:

Not all the portraits are 100% color coded, but many of them are.

yeah

just because there are some specific patterns observed doesn't mean that this stuff is deliberate for all of them (and also there are different artists on the team, which means different points of view on how to portray each and every person). Like, Garte's portrait background is just a styling reference to the Whirling-in-Rags walls. Joyce's own background is just the sails and the sky; talking to her in greater detail will show that she has no love at all for the Moralintern.

for other characters, the patterns of the background are such that they configure a motif, whether intentional or not, where those analyses are far more relevant. The blue behind Lena requires a considerable amount of arguing to justify it as a deliberate ideological motif, but Sunday's Friend having a gallon behind him is rather telling and *very* straightforward. Tommy le Homme and Racist Lorry Driver have another rather obvious one: their portraits look like license photos. These are basically neat tricks of representation and help create an integral artistic identity for the game, so to speak. The union men are the best demonstration of that and a very nice exercise in style.

also, this might be interesting: looking at the portraits put together, all homosexual/queer characters have a measure of purple of them, most explicitly the man on the balcony then Ruby and Glen. Again, this could be a motif, more possibly if unconsciously so; the portrait artists might not even had the full details of each character as well, so it is hard to say for certain.

and the color of communism in the setting is white btw; in that context, red would probably mean labor movement/social-democratic ideas

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

They say it outright that anarchosts army is white color army and communards are black. Thus the white-black banner

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Inverted star with antlers

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
The portraits having colour coded political ideologies is an interesting thought, but its a stretch and I dont see it.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Thats was the banner

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Holy poo poo what a game. After stalling and leaving the game for a few months I ploughed through to the end and it really stuck the landing. The dream sequence, the deserter, the phasmid... incredible. I played the whole thing as a understated communist but I found I just couldn't pick the communist options speaking to the deserter, it would have felt so weak and dishonest. I can't think of any other game to actually convey the way politics and personality intersect and conflict in that way at all.

The only irritation was that I couldn't get my gun back because I couldn't get the signatures - I looked it up afterwards and apparently if you don't pick a specific line when first looking at the papers you never get the option to forge them? Still I got to go back to the station and be a cog in the machine of bourgeois oppression a revolutionary foot soldier so it's all good I guess?

Can't wait to do another playthrough.

Gato fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 31, 2020

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Just started this game, and while amazing, it is pretty disorienting to have so many quests and not know exactly how to go about them. I find myself blowing a lot of checks and fearing that I can't go back to them (often they're 'red' checks).

Any advice on how to get the most out of a casual playthrough?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Tias posted:

Just started this game, and while amazing, it is pretty disorienting to have so many quests and not know exactly how to go about them. I find myself blowing a lot of checks and fearing that I can't go back to them (often they're 'red' checks).

There's At Least A Few checks where you get better results for failing then passing.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

dead gay comedy forums posted:

also, this might be interesting: looking at the portraits put together, all homosexual/queer characters have a measure of purple of them, most explicitly the man on the balcony then Ruby and Glen. Again, this could be a motif, more possibly if unconsciously so; the portrait artists might not even had the full details of each character as well, so it is hard to say for certain.

Noticeably, Kim's portrait lacks any kind of purple, furthering the question of whether it was an intentional motif

Tias posted:

I would say that one of the game's weaknesses is how it keeps track of tasks, but in terms of taking it chill, I'd say the best way would be to invest in skills you like and take the failures as they come.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Tias posted:

I agree with just embracing failure and rolling with it. Resist the urge to save scum or overly optimize. Just build the human can opener you want to be.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

are there other games like this one?

i didn't know i needed them until now.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Philman posted:

are there other games like this one?

i didn't know i needed them until now.

No.

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

resting bort face posted:

I love the writing in this game, but both times I've tried to get into it I've suffered a game-ending morale loss. And since the game's so stingy with auto-saves, I lose ~30-60 minutes. It totally kills the drama for me. Any tips? Should I be saving before every red check?

Press your quick save button whenever you want? You can use your morale and health meds mid dialogue.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

JustaDamnFool posted:

Noticeably, Kim's portrait lacks any kind of purple, furthering the question of whether it was an intentional motif

It could be said that it is because there is another one going on Vicquemare and Kim have halos, both are Harry's partners

tbqh I love speculating about art and this game has a lot of great stuff in that regard, which makes many touches and nuances rather interesting to discuss imo

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
My favorote art is the opening splash screen which is a view of Martenaise from the Deserter's vantage point.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

TommyGun85 posted:

My favorote art is the opening splash screen which is a view of Martenaise from the Deserter's vantage point.

That’s been my desktop background ever since my first playthrough.

Kaysette fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Aug 1, 2020

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

TommyGun85 posted:

It's an incredible moment when you realize what that is.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Are we spoilering endgame stuff or not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Kaysette posted:

That’s been my desktop background ever since my first playthrough.

Same, I did it the day they released the high res version. The thought catalog collage is my computer lock screen.