Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Cinara posted:

Anyone have any tutorials they like for ice bases? Working on a test model from Dark Imperium and I like the idea of icy/snow bases to go with the red and black armor. I like Vince's snow base tutorial, but the ice one doesn't quite have the look I am going for so I'd love to see other options.

I watched this when I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do for snow and Ice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbf6V0IT4uc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Haha OK so I managed to get a hold of the vendor, I explained the situation and he was more or less like, "Yea if that comes off the regulator is pretty much hosed". Not his exact words, but...

Fortunately I can just remove the regulator and slap on a new one. But still. drat my idiocy.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Cinara posted:

Anyone have any tutorials they like for ice bases? Working on a test model from Dark Imperium and I like the idea of icy/snow bases to go with the red and black armor. I like Vince's snow base tutorial, but the ice one doesn't quite have the look I am going for so I'd love to see other options.

Thick or thin ice?

If you're talking thick glacial ice, Mel the Terrain Tutor has a good tutorial on picking the right colors. It's how I chose the colors for my White Dragon's wings.

In GW colors, I'd build up some "fake" texture using Incubi Darkness / Stegodon Scale Green (Incubi Darkness is more greenish for ocean ice, Stegodon Scale will get you a nicer blue color for other deep ice) -> Thousand Sons Blue -> Ahriman Blue -> Temple Guard Blue with some space wolves gray stippled onto the top of it.

Quick and dirty MSPaint example!

Then, you could probably get away with a gloss varnish over the top of it to make it super shiny; but if you have it I'd suggest putting a thin layer of Woodland Scenics Water Effects on the base and form little random bumps and ridges. Once this dries, you can then carefully tint the surfaces recesses by making a wash of Temple Guard Blue, some water, and a drop of dish soap (or any other method you'd like, such as future floor polish) and then carefully drybrush some space wolves (or even actual white) onto the high ridges you sculpted with your water effects.

I... may actually give this a try to see how it comes out if I can find a suitable mini. It sounds like a fun basing project.

Edit: Ok. Victims Test Subjects located.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Jul 30, 2020

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
One model per day has netted me the following photo's:

Meganobz, which would have saws but they're metal Ebay rescues and didn't come with them.

Ork Shoota boy, my new traditional method of airbrushing brown for the leather and then normal basecoats/highlights/washes, with the hair being Contrast

Ork Shoota Boy, Contrast + Metallics over White Primer

I'm seeking opinions over which method i should do going forward for my Ork Boyz (and other infantry for that matter). Both take about an hour per model so i'm not worried for time, i just want to see which people like better since i like both of them.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.

Back again soliciting feedback for necron test schemes painted onto horrible 3d printed models. I decided to give that simple but good jet black plus glow effect scheme a try:

For the amount of effort that went into these I'm pretty happy with the outcome. If I were to move ahead with one of these I'd break out the airbrush to make the glows a bit better, but one of these is my front runner option for right now, just not sure which color glow I prefer.

And here's the slightly higher effort scheme:

I took the advice I received before on the sandstone look and decided to ditch the texture paint and add another color to break it up. I think the grey may be too warm though, so if I were to move forward with this one I'd probably switch to a blue gray instead.

Any feedback would be appreciated, and keep in mind these are very quick paint jobs on very shite models. I expect the real thing to be much better, but just trying to pick a proof of concept scheme.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Gimme this glow recipe

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

PoptartsNinja posted:

thick glacial ice base

I think this came out pretty well!

The dark eldar corsair used teals over stegodon scale, the Tomahawk used teals over incubi darkness. I preferred the incubi darkness, but the end result is only barely perceptible on the finished minis so it probably doesn't matter.

The rest of it was just me playing around with contrast paints.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Jul 30, 2020

saber45
Nov 10, 2004

Anyone got any experience with airbrushing metallics? If i thin down Citadel Leadbelcher am i going to regret it?

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Gimme this glow recipe

It is stupidly simple.

1. Base coat the glow areas white
2. Paint over it with 4:1 contrast medium to Daler Rowney FW Purple Lake ink, letting it pool in the recesses.
3. ????
4. Profit

You can increase the contrast by using undiluted ink in the darkest areas and another coat of white plus glaze of diluted ink in the brightest parts, but I didn't do that here.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

saber45 posted:

Anyone got any experience with airbrushing metallics? If i thin down Citadel Leadbelcher am i going to regret it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOQzOWYPwLQ

I haven't tried yet (:argh:) but he explicitly talks about metallics from not-Air paint lines.

Sounds like it's doable but won't be ideal :shrug:

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

Anyone have experience with the Vallejo hobby paint rattle cans? I've been using the bone white color for my skeletons and I noticed it has a rough texture to it. Despite this roughness it doesn't seem to impact the end result of the paint job too much, and it doesn't cloud any detail of the miniatures either. I'm spraying in a mildly humid environment, but I noticed my can of Army Painter spray primer (cool grey I think) leaves a much flatter, cleaner finish.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Karnegal posted:

I watched this when I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do for snow and Ice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lbf6V0IT4uc

Yea Miniac is great, and this is one of the videos I am using for sure to decide how I want the snow to look.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Thick or thin ice?

If you're talking thick glacial ice, Mel the Terrain Tutor has a good tutorial on picking the right colors. It's how I chose the colors for my White Dragon's wings.

Thanks for this! I had not seen his channel before and is a lot of good information for sure! Your two test models turned out really well, and I may use something similar on top of a layer of resin to give a better feeling of depth.

I found this video which has an amazing looking base he does at the end that I will try and mimic, along with a couple other reddit posts with vague guides to how they got some good results with resin / water effects.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vDiP3bZmoM

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Cinara posted:

Yea Miniac is great,

If he'd cut down on the stupid jokes he'd be my favorite painting youtube dude because he has a lot of really good information but its surrounded by such a cringy package.

One of these days I'm going to give blending a shot and it will be entirely because I'm trying to copy what he does

Edit: I will say that the goobertown minis guy is my favorite because he's informative, positive, inspiring, and generally wholesome. His video about making your own paints was really cool and super neat from a chemistry perspective

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jul 30, 2020

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Spanish Manlove posted:

If he'd cut down on the stupid jokes he'd be my favorite painting youtube dude because he has a lot of really good information but its surrounded by such a cringy package.

I have to make sure I close the tab at the end of his videos because I don't want to hear him growl "paint more minis" ever again.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

One of these days I'm going to give blending a shot and it will be entirely because I'm trying to copy what he does

Yea, the humor often misses the mark for me, but I like that he tends to try a variety of things and shows his mistakes/failures. You can see how much he has progressed as a painter in such a short time also, largely due to how he is always trying something new and taking risks. Vince is still my favorite by far though, partially due to the sheer scope of his video library. But I also appreciate how in depth he goes in every video, it does a lot to help me understand the techniques.

Since coming back to the hobby the quality of my painting has increased drastically, and I can attribute most of that to Vince and following his guides.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

Edit: I will say that the goobertown minis guy is my favorite because he's informative, positive, inspiring, and generally wholesome. His video about making your own paints was really cool and super neat from a chemistry perspective

I think it was the latest goobertown where he's like "time to try blending for the first time" and of course the result looks good as hell.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

goobertown is great, he has some serious bob ross /mr rogers energy going on

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

tangy yet delightful posted:

I think it was the latest goobertown where he's like "time to try blending for the first time" and of course the result looks good as hell.

The one with the lizardmen shields? that's a fantastic video

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I am guessing it was the random mini painting challenge one. He pulled a dark elf and red as the predominant colors to use so he came up with this cool diorama concept where the elves were having a desert cannibal party. Then he decides to add an ogre model that he had lying around that ended up upstaging the dark elf that was supposed to be the focus of the diorama with the super sweet blue skin tones he blended on it.

E: here it is, it's a really fun watch. I just love how much joy he seems to find in being creative for creation's sake: https://youtu.be/uFPbw8Tn1kA

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Looking good! I like your color choice, they work well together and will look even better when you have a bunch of miniatures together. Don’t forget to reshade those pesky fingers. Re: the robes, I like to go with the vertical edges Of the folds then give the flared out bottom some highlighting where the sun should hit.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Mikey Purp posted:

I am guessing it was the random mini painting challenge one. He pulled a dark elf and red as the predominant colors to use so he came up with this cool diorama concept where the elves were having a desert cannibal party. Then he decides to add an ogre model that he had lying around that ended up upstaging the dark elf that was supposed to be the focus of the diorama with the super sweet blue skin tones he blended on it.

E: here it is, it's a really fun watch. I just love how much joy he seems to find in being creative for creation's sake: https://youtu.be/uFPbw8Tn1kA

Yeah it's this, I should have said "wet blending" I think. That's lizardman shield video is really good too.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Spanish Manlove posted:

Yea Miniac has good info but he's another 'personality' / the editing of his videos I just don't like.

Haven't watched much Goobertown but he's very relaxing.

Someone posted an airbrush cleaning video by Vince Venturella recently and he's become my absolute favorite for painting though

Alokgen
Aug 14, 2005

Are you saying I'm a sinner?

X-Posting 40k

Alokgen posted:

Finished the Overlord this evening. *beep boop*

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Professor Shark posted:

Looking good! I like your color choice, they work well together and will look even better when you have a bunch of miniatures together. Don’t forget to reshade those pesky fingers. Re: the robes, I like to go with the vertical edges Of the folds then give the flared out bottom some highlighting where the sun should hit.

Thanks and that all makes sense, was trying out some new to me colour scheme that wasnt just "grim dark scifiman" so good to get feedback

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Looking for recommendations for a samurai model to paint. In the mood after finished Ghost of Tsushima, it was a great game.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

saber45 posted:

I have airbrushed Citadel and Vallejo Game paints in the past and it's okay. The problem is the same you always get with those metallics: it's difficult to get the exact viscosity you want. You need to thin them down and also use flow improver (but really just a couple of drops of flow improver otherwise the surface tension breaks too much and the results are catastrophic on metallics, way worse than regular acrylics in my experience).

What you really want is to use the Vallejo Metallic line. They are airbrush ready and, while there are only 16 in the product line, you can get an infinite number of colors since they mix together very, very well. I'm now using 1:1 Gold:Copper of that line to paint my Stormcasts for instance, and it's just a pleasure to work with - no clogging, perfect spray, and the result is just mind blowing, better than any other metallics.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I said come in! posted:

Looking for recommendations for a samurai model to paint. In the mood after finished Ghost of Tsushima, it was a great game.

Maybe not samurai per-se, but Privateer Press has a Legend of the 5 Rings mini-crate that might scratch that itch

https://www.mini-crate.com/crate/l5r/

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Furism posted:

I have airbrushed Citadel and Vallejo Game paints in the past and it's okay. The problem is the same you always get with those metallics: it's difficult to get the exact viscosity you want. You need to thin them down and also use flow improver (but really just a couple of drops of flow improver otherwise the surface tension breaks too much and the results are catastrophic on metallics, way worse than regular acrylics in my experience).

What you really want is to use the Vallejo Metallic line. They are airbrush ready and, while there are only 16 in the product line, you can get an infinite number of colors since they mix together very, very well. I'm now using 1:1 Gold:Copper of that line to paint my Stormcasts for instance, and it's just a pleasure to work with - no clogging, perfect spray, and the result is just mind blowing, better than any other metallics.

Can Vallejo Metal Air be brushed-on (without modification)?

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Schadenboner posted:

Can Vallejo Metal Air be brushed-on (without modification)?

I believe OP is referring to the Vallejo Metal Color line and not just metallic paints that are in the game color / model color lines.

You can brush paint it but its very thin!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
More Malifaux! Aionus done. This is the first time I try to paint glass, the hourglass, and it was pretty annoying.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Electric Hobo posted:

More Malifaux! Aionus done. This is the first time I try to paint glass, the hourglass, and it was pretty annoying.

you did a nice job on the hourglass. i dunno what it is about that neon static grass but it definitely looks great and gives it a dream-like quality

MRLOLAST
May 9, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

Maybe not samurai per-se, but Privateer Press has a Legend of the 5 Rings mini-crate that might scratch that itch

https://www.mini-crate.com/crate/l5r/

I have seen lots of bits makers that makes kits that converts your Spacemarines in to Samurai Spacemarines with banner, shoulder pads, helmets and katanas.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Joke Answer:

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Nebalebadingdong posted:

you did a nice job on the hourglass. i dunno what it is about that neon static grass but it definitely looks great and gives it a dream-like quality
Hey thanks :) The grass started as a way to make my pure OSL figures obvious from the dark side, but now it's just a case of "the grass in Malifaux looks super weird".

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

I said come in! posted:

I think GCT Studios has some decent ones. I like their Master Roshi but he's been out of stock every time I've checked so I have no idea what their shipping times to the US are like.

Reaper's also got a couple of reasonable ones if you're ok with pewter (or PVC), and they've got a Samurai Jack

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Electric Hobo posted:

Your stuff always looks great, good job!

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Electric Hobo posted:

Hey thanks :) The grass started as a way to make my pure OSL figures obvious from the dark side, but now it's just a case of "the grass in Malifaux looks super weird".

i mean, dude is gazing into an hour glass while sitting on a tree with hands and a clock. its definitely surreal. the neon grass on the dark base gives me the impression of Moonside from Earthbound

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Putting feathered hats on all my Underworlds Kharadrons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Putting feathered hats on all my Underworlds Kharadrons

owns