Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Top City Homo posted:

i am already living in the vampire states and so are u

why not the amgic zone?

it sounds better than anything else on that map

so the Magic Zone is basically a big confluence of ley lines that dump a ton of magic energy into the area and attract/create powerful magicians and extra dimensional creatures

while a lot of those creatures are more or less regular people, many are not and are extremely bad news if you are a regular person, and the conditions tend to favor malicious or at least amoral wizards and magical beings seizing power

which they often do, since the Magic Zone is "ruled" by the Federation of Magic, basically a loose conglomeration of political entities ranging from tiny hamlets to fairly large city states that frequently engage in violent conflict with one another and have governments that range from "pretty chill" to "you are forever enslaved to capital-E Evil (literal) monsters"

the two most powerful city states (who rarely control even a fifth of the Federation) are locked in a cold war - one is isolationist and, while it's "ok" by Rifts standards, is ruled by a trio of god-like magical beings of variable temperament that are noted for not being above a bit of torture and summary execution, and the other is ruled by a cacklingly evil immortal wizard

also note that while the huge concentration of magic and shared interests help keep it semi-safe from the Coalition despite the above, the Coalition is more or less constantly menacing the area and hates the poo poo out of the Magic Zone, Federation, and its residents (not without reason - the Coalition is as fascist and anti-magic as it is in no small part due to an earlier disastrous war of expansion launched by the Federation that was big on demons and civilian massacres)

LGD has issued a correction as of 06:41 on Jul 29, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

UnknownTarget posted:

Her body is an overcooked pepperoni pizza and her rear end is two potatoes stuck together in a gimp suit. Wtf is this?

Why can't it just be this?

BeefThief
Aug 8, 2007

the capital of the magic zone is Flavortown, Ohio

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Rifts is like a 40k prequel, but with even dumber fluff

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005

on the east coast I can kind of see where they got the idea for the magic land from.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

LGD posted:

so the Magic Zone is basically a big confluence of ley lines that dump a ton of magic energy into the area and attract/create powerful magicians and extra dimensional creatures

while a lot of those creatures are more or less regular people, many are not and are extremely bad news if you are a regular person, and the conditions tend to favor malicious or at least amoral wizards and magical beings seizing power

which they often do, since the Magic Zone is "ruled" by the Federation of Magic, basically a loose conglomeration of political entities ranging from tiny hamlets to fairly large city states that frequently engage in violent conflict with one another and have governments that range from "pretty chill" to "you are forever enslaved to capital-E Evil (literal) monsters"

the two most powerful city states (who rarely control even a fifth of the Federation) are locked in a cold war - one is isolationist and, while it's "ok" by Rifts standards, is ruled by a trio of god-like magical beings of variable temperament that are noted for not being above a bit of torture and summary execution, and the other is ruled by a cacklingly evil immortal wizard

also note that while the huge concentration of magic and shared interests help keep it semi-safe from the Coalition despite the above, the Coalition is more or less constantly menacing the area and hates the poo poo out of the Magic Zone, Federation, and its residents (not without reason - the Coalition is as fascist and anti-magic as it is in no small part due to an earlier disastrous war of expansion launched by the Federation that was big on demons and civilian massacres)

geez maybe if i make it pas the vampire kingdoms into south america things will be better

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
https://time.com/4260798/drug-epidemic-america/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2019/investigations/dea-pain-pill-database/

https://www.theguardian.com/society/ng-interactive/2016/may/25/opioid-epidemic-overdose-deaths-map

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I loving hate maps

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Top City Homo posted:

geez maybe if i make it pas the vampire kingdoms into south america things will be better

you absolutely would not (the vampire kingdoms are extremely bad news and increasingly inimical to human life the further south you go, and the two continents are no longer connected by land), but despite the usual Rifts-world problems and alien invaders, much of Rifts South America is probably legitimately less hosed up than North America (the big dog is the Empire of the Sun, which is ok for a semi-constitutional theocracy [one with an easy time determining the will of the gods, since they all showed back up as soon as the rifts opened], and then there are a bunch of smaller states that appear to be more real-world levels of hosed up on a day to day basis than most Rifts nations - plus you can build communism with the Shining Path who are still kicking around!)

LGD has issued a correction as of 07:09 on Jul 29, 2020

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

I'm glad I don't live there

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica
I just want to say, drat near every county west of the Mississippi was drawn without taking natural borders in mind, so everyone who draws maps of the future based on counties has a dumb map.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Rifts is like a 40k prequel, but with even dumber fluff

that’s why it owns

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Greatbacon posted:

I just want to say, drat near every county west of the Mississippi was drawn without taking natural borders in mind, so everyone who draws maps of the future based on counties has a dumb map.

on the one hand that's true, on the other hand dumb arbitrary borders drawn from a thousand km away with no regard for conditions on the ground have a bad habit of sticking around forever, see for instance like half of Africa and the Middle East

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Rifts: the one setting where the guys in black & gray uniforms covered in skulls actually make a lot of sense, because the "other" is literally cosmic horrors, vampires, etc.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Top City Homo posted:

wanna live in da magic zone

i grew up in the magic zone, it blows

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1288818160389558273

BALK ZONE
BALK ZONE

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Splynncryth the Splugorth

pdog
May 7, 2013
not amerikkka, but the Irish and N Irish govts successfully collaborated on a joint test and trace programme for the island.

no imminent balk, but an interesting development - esp when compared to the shitshow that is England

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
With Cummings being the one actually running everything it's no longer apparent if it's a 'shitshow' or if it's all entirely on purpose. Flip a coin for unbelievable incompetency or indescribable evil.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
For anyone who missed it: How Jared Kushner’s Secret Testing Plan “Went Poof Into Thin Air”

quote:

Most troubling of all, perhaps, was a sentiment the expert said a member of Kushner’s team expressed: that because the virus had hit blue states hardest, a national plan was unnecessary and would not make sense politically. “The political folks believed that because it was going to be relegated to Democratic states, that they could blame those governors, and that would be an effective political strategy,” said the expert.

That logic may have swayed Kushner. “It was very clear that Jared was ultimately the decision maker as to what [plan] was going to come out,” the expert said.

This is deliberate.

This is mass-murder.

The GOP is destroying the United States to kill people like us.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I mean, yeah, I thought that was obvious in April?

PawParole
Nov 16, 2019

chairface posted:

Rifts: the one setting where the guys in black & gray uniforms covered in skulls actually make a lot of sense, because the "other" is literally cosmic horrors, vampires, etc.

see: warhammer 40k

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

PawParole posted:

see: warhammer 40k

Splitting hairs, but the Imperium is theocratic fascism. The Coalition States are just straight up Nazis by a different name.

D-bee rights are human rights.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Accretionist posted:

For anyone who missed it: How Jared Kushner’s Secret Testing Plan “Went Poof Into Thin Air”

This is deliberate.

This is mass-murder.

it is also v stupid because it's not like red states have any sort of immunity and so were destined to get it later

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they thought city density was the reason it was spreading and not just there first because of increased travel/ny's 2 weeks too late school closure and nursing home policies

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

they thought city density was the reason it was spreading and not just there first because of increased travel/ny's 2 weeks too late school closure and nursing home policies

This is probably why they created a superspreader event by disembarking those plague ships back in Feb. Then sending in HHS personnel without PPE. Then having them fly commercial.

The GOP actively fomented the plague to kill Americans.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Accretionist posted:

This is deliberate.

This is mass-murder.

what if we copy the federal response to AIDS, but bigger?

with some of the logic of US sanctions thrown in as well

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I honestly wonder if they're trying to break up the US. Every fault line I can identify, they're hitting. Including 'Us vs. Them' at the level of mass murder via biowarfare.

The US could clear 1m+ dead and it'll be because ole Kushie wanted to kill Democrats. So he did.

Accretionist has issued a correction as of 02:14 on Aug 1, 2020

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Accretionist posted:

This is deliberate.

This is mass-murder.

it’s genocide lmao

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Is there a lefty politician alive today you could imagine even encouraging independence talk?

It feels like if there's ever a balk it'll be a red state that thinks we aren't crazy enough.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

FuzzySlippers posted:

Is there a lefty politician alive today you could imagine even encouraging independence talk?

It feels like if there's ever a balk it'll be a red state that thinks we aren't crazy enough.

cuomo did abs he’s right wing

left wing people don’t usually get on tv or reported. there are no no left wing politicians on the USA.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Still waiting for the Ameri-Turbo Folk music.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

etalian posted:

Still waiting for the Ameri-Turbo Folk music.

u need a soul for that

soulless devil cracker nation will only produce corporate jingles and guttural MURICA noises

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Looking forward to hearing Oj Trumpa Trumpo

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
I am happy to report that the European fascist intelligentsia are now predicting the fall of the America in mainstream newspapers, likening it to the USSR of the late 80's. With the Australians openly stating that America can't be relied on anymore, we might be seeing the beginning of a proper reevaluation of the relationship with America among its allies. What happens if the American MIC starts having to compete in a free market? How far will the democrats go to maintain the empire? Will the republicans usher in a stealth world government under China by weakening the American state to the point that Chinese corporations become the sole authority across much of the world?

With how the rest of the year has been going, we'll find out before Christmas.

Accretionist posted:

I honestly wonder if they're trying to break up the US. Every fault line I can identify, they're hitting. Including 'Us vs. Them' at the level of mass murder via biowarfare.

The US could clear 1m+ dead and it'll be because ole Kushie wanted to kill Democrats. So he did.
It could be significantly more.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/benyt/status/1290048084857065472?s=20

hell yeah lets do this

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I am happy to report that the European fascist intelligentsia are now predicting the fall of the America in mainstream newspapers, likening it to the USSR of the late 80's. With the Australians openly stating that America can't be relied on anymore, we might be seeing the beginning of a proper reevaluation of the relationship with America among its allies. What happens if the American MIC starts having to compete in a free market? How far will the democrats go to maintain the empire? Will the republicans usher in a stealth world government under China by weakening the American state to the point that Chinese corporations become the sole authority across much of the world?

With how the rest of the year has been going, we'll find out before Christmas.

It could be significantly more.

good

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

LGD posted:

you absolutely would not (the vampire kingdoms are extremely bad news and increasingly inimical to human life the further south you go, and the two continents are no longer connected by land), but despite the usual Rifts-world problems and alien invaders, much of Rifts South America is probably legitimately less hosed up than North America (the big dog is the Empire of the Sun, which is ok for a semi-constitutional theocracy [one with an easy time determining the will of the gods, since they all showed back up as soon as the rifts opened], and then there are a bunch of smaller states that appear to be more real-world levels of hosed up on a day to day basis than most Rifts nations - plus you can build communism with the Shining Path who are still kicking around!)

weren’t the Rifts triggered by a nuclear war in South America between Chile and Argentina?

as fictional universes go it really is one of the goofier ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junkiebev
Jan 18, 2002

Feel the progress.

xiticix are cool imho