Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I only now realized steampunk dorf floaty balloon things remind me of ED-E from FNV. That's probably why I like them because ED-E is cool af.

:3:

E: I mean, Steampunk Dorf is also an inherently cool thing so it's a "double-double" (as the kids say these days).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Putting feathered hats on all my Underworlds Kharadrons

That weathering looks great! Nice subtle verdigris and the metal is shiny on the business end. I like how it's even shiny on the handle, which makes a lot of sense and is a really subtle touch.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer

Nebalebadingdong posted:

i mean, dude is gazing into an hour glass while sitting on a tree with hands and a clock. its definitely surreal. the neon grass on the dark base gives me the impression of Moonside from Earthbound
Gotcha! My thinking about these minis always stop at "these guys are weird, I'm gonna paint then in a weird way!" :)

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I haven't even taken a single Newcron off the sprue yet, but I did manage to finally finish up my two Doom Scythes. A friend of mine designed and printed some hard canopy covers for me with the Nihilakh symbol on them.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Schadenboner posted:

Can Vallejo Metal Air be brushed-on (without modification)?

Yes the Vallejo (Game/Color) Air metallic color can be brushed-on, in fact it's probably the best way to get a good consistency.

But their specific Metallic line is even better. The coverage is better and you can very easily blend them. Vince has a whole video on them.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"

Spanish Manlove posted:

That weathering looks great! Nice subtle verdigris and the metal is shiny on the business end. I like how it's even shiny on the handle, which makes a lot of sense and is a really subtle touch.

Thanks! Unfortunately the camera makes it look better than it really is, but I'm still happy with it.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Testing out making the flight bases not so boring today by gluing them to regular black bases then just putting rocks/shrubs and snow effect on them.

I'm pretty happy with it.

Now to just do about 40 of them as well as magnetize the stems. How come no one ever told me that tau are technically a horde army?

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Cross-posting from the Crisis Protocol thread:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
More airbrush questions while I look into what it would take to set it up. My workspace is the other half of my corner desk next to a window which is fine but that window is also where a cat tree is positioned. I've got two cats in my little apartment and I don't feel comfortable spraying aerosolized acrylics everywhere because I can wear a mask but they can't and I don't know how good air brush hoods are at catching stray paint and the whole situation just makes me feel like it's not worth any risk to my cats long term health over making some plastic look nicer. There's always outdoor airbrushing which comes with having to deal with humidity, temperature, rain, etc. but it's probably ok for at least priming, base coating and highlighting?

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Eej posted:

More airbrush questions while I look into what it would take to set it up. My workspace is the other half of my corner desk next to a window which is fine but that window is also where a cat tree is positioned. I've got two cats in my little apartment and I don't feel comfortable spraying aerosolized acrylics everywhere because I can wear a mask but they can't and I don't know how good air brush hoods are at catching stray paint and the whole situation just makes me feel like it's not worth any risk to my cats long term health over making some plastic look nicer. There's always outdoor airbrushing which comes with having to deal with humidity, temperature, rain, etc. but it's probably ok for at least priming, base coating and highlighting?

Throw them in the bathroom for twenty minutes while you spray? I feel like people overstate the dangers of airbrushing... no, it's not good for you to breathe in aerosolized paint, but think about it in comparison to smoking a cigarette.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Under 15 posted:

Throw them in the bathroom for twenty minutes while you spray? I feel like people overstate the dangers of airbrushing... no, it's not good for you to breathe in aerosolized paint, but think about it in comparison to smoking a cigarette.

Hello time traveler, in the modern era we've actually determined cigarettes to be incredibly unsafe, responsible for innumerable deaths. I can imagine this is very upsetting, please take all the time you need to come to terms with it, we're here for you.

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

I've been working the overnight shift at home this week. So during the lulls I've been knocking off a bunch of projects that were hovering at 80% done for ages.

Finally finished up some Blood Ravens and their bases with 100% legitimately donated relics from other chapters/races

Finished up smaller Alpharius being stabbed by Alpharius

Battle Brother Doctor Drillstab

And, the one I'm happiest to finally have finished

:black101: SETTRA :black101:

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013
I just finished up the Eradicators!

I am astounded by how much better the minis from GW have gotten in the 3 years since DI.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
I've been dealing with the opposite problem, struggling with a Poxbringer, a model from 2013.

It turned out OK (all contrast again, except for the bell, for those who are interested in such things), but it's got weirdly soft detail all around compared to what I've become used to with more-modern sculpts.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Under 15 posted:

I mean, I'd rather myself nor my cats inhale neither!

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I'm trying to put together a list of everything I need for an airbrush setup, but I want to post it here to see if I'm missing anything or if there's something that I should pick over something else for a better deal/better quality.

Total: $205.79

One of the things missing from the list is a mask/respirator, but I have a disposable N95 mask that I haven't used yet sitting around. That's probably not an ideal choice, though.

I'm not sure whether I should order everything at once, or order the main airbrush components, then order the primer and such later. I couldn't find info for USA Airbrush Supply's shipping, so I don't know how long it takes for an order to arrive. The compressor I don't necessarily have to order; there's a Harbor Freight near where I live, so I could look for it there and save money on shipping.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Get a thing of flow improver if you don’t already have some

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

jesus WEP posted:

Get a thing of flow improver if you don’t already have some

Yeah flow improver is a must.
If you’re only spraying acrylics the N95 mask will be fine.

You probably want black primer or both black and white to do zenethil priming.

You can also buy or make a cleaning jar. A big plastic cup with a lid works well.

Depending on your work space a spray booth might be necessary.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Yea, with an airbrush I never use white primer anymore unless it's to zenithal, even then then I usually use white ink. An airbrush just covers so well that I'd always prefer a black primer.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
I highly suggest you get a few beakers (very small ones, like 10ml) because you'll need some container to mix your paints sometimes (like if you're doing a batch larger than what your airbrush tank can hold, and want to make sure you have the exact same pigment). You could use plastic cups but I think glass containers are better, one-use plastic is bad (but that's just me), and if you ever for some reason need to use more hardcore products that eat at plastic, you'll be happy to have glass.

And, while not mandatory, I also suggest a sonic cleaner. I got one for $20 and it seriously helps with airbrush maintenance (and for stripping models, if you ever need to in the far future).

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Can you just dump all the parts of an airbrush into a ultrasonic bath? That would be an amazing effort-saver if that’s an option

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
With proper handling and cleaning you'll never have the need for something like that.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I’m getting a 2020 soon to go along with my 105, and I’m afraid that the 105 continues to work really well because it’s indestructible and not because I’m good enough at airbrush upkeep

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Oh hey, Badger 105s are back on Amazon.ca (and .com) for 25% off with estimated in stock on Aug 13 (I say as I reserve one while I check out what else I need to go with it)

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

jesus WEP posted:

Can you just dump all the parts of an airbrush into a ultrasonic bath? That would be an amazing effort-saver if that’s an option

The YouTuber Studio G does that and recommends it as part of his cleaning routine, and he makes some good looking gunpla stuff. But I have no references aside from that.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

jesus WEP posted:

It's not recommended because some parts are tiny and sometimes fragile, and on some models there's oil that could be stripped away. I just put the tip and the needle from time to time.

Cinara posted:

With proper handling and cleaning you'll never have the need for something like that.

I don't know, on my Sotar the tip gets clogged not matter how thin my paint is. I'm talking using Vallejo Air paint with extra Flow Improver. And still after a few models it starts getting clogged. I use a wet paper towel to clean the tip between models and everything. Still, small pigments will get stuck on the tip (and on the inside of the tip), build up, and after a while I lose a lot of "spray quality." Dumping the tip in the sonic bath just cleans that right off in 90 secs so I just do that now.

And in-between uses I let the airbrush in a larger beaker full of airbrush cleaner.

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Oh sure, just the tip and needle are totally fine, in my mind I was combining your comment with jesus WEP's and yea you really don't want to soak the entire airbrush if you can avoid it. I almost never have to use an ultrasonic but primer is the biggest offender by far, if I prime several dozen things at once it can build up really bad.

One good trick though is for cleaning the tip, instead of paper tower, use a drop of your airbrush cleaner on an old synthetic brush. This works especially great for a quick clean in the middle of airbrushing.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

gotta say that after a lot of airbrushing inks and nicely thinned paints it feels horrifying glopping neat primer into your cup and cranking the psi right up :gonk:

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007
Badger Stynylrez with a couple drops of flow improver won't need high psi or anything, it's the best airbrush primer you can ask for.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
On the note of sonic cleaners, how well does it strip minis without having to use solvent?

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Cinara posted:

Badger Stynylrez with a couple drops of flow improver won't need high psi or anything, it's the best airbrush primer you can ask for.

Stynylrez is just outright a pleasure to spray once you get it right.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang

Cinara posted:

I keep hearing good things about that brand but they seem difficult to source in France :(

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

Furism posted:

I keep hearing good things about that brand but they seem difficult to source in France :(

If you can get your hands on Ammo by mig products they've relabelled Stynylrez with "one-shot" primer.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

I like spraying stynlrez at high psi, you get a bigger spray pattern and it seems to dry faster

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Paragon8 posted:

If you can get your hands on Ammo by mig products they've relabelled Stynylrez with "one-shot" primer.

They're normally easy enough to get, but I think the combination of depending on shipments from the US, covid in Spain, and the increase of people spending time with their hobby projects means that it's been sold out for weeks with no ETA on restock anywhere. I'm not bitter about that or anything, I swear :v: I have buckets of Vallejo primer, but for my current projects I'd like to use something that sticks better.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Made some drones today, also testing out putting stripes on the special drones to help them stand out. I also carved some damage into them with a file and tried out a "reverse shade" with a bright metal recess highlight. kinda helps to break up the flat surfaces

Spanish Manlove fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Aug 1, 2020

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Eej posted:

Oh hey, Badger 105s are back on Amazon.ca (and .com) for 25% off with estimated in stock on Aug 13 (I say as I reserve one while I check out what else I need to go with it)

Really?

Well, I just ordered the airbrush. Guess I should look into buying all the other stuff too.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Bucnasti posted:

Yeah flow improver is a must.
If you’re only spraying acrylics the N95 mask will be fine.

You probably want black primer or both black and white to do zenethil priming.

You can also buy or make a cleaning jar. A big plastic cup with a lid works well.

Depending on your work space a spray booth might be necessary.

Furism posted:

I highly suggest you get a few beakers (very small ones, like 10ml) because you'll need some container to mix your paints sometimes (like if you're doing a batch larger than what your airbrush tank can hold, and want to make sure you have the exact same pigment). You could use plastic cups but I think glass containers are better, one-use plastic is bad (but that's just me), and if you ever for some reason need to use more hardcore products that eat at plastic, you'll be happy to have glass.

And, while not mandatory, I also suggest a sonic cleaner. I got one for $20 and it seriously helps with airbrush maintenance (and for stripping models, if you ever need to in the far future).

Okay, here's what I've got:

The beakers and ultra-sonic cleaner sound good, but I already feel like I'm going overboard with what I'm buying. I don't know if I need a paint booth or not; I could make a makeshift one with cardboard or something, just so it doesn't spray out onto other things in the shed. Most of the ones on Amazon are like $100 with ventilation hoses, which I don't think I could set up anywhere.

As I said, I thought about buying [url="https://www.harborfreight.com/1-6-hp-40-psi-oilless-airbrush-compressor-93657.html"]the compressor from Harbor Freight[/u]. It looks like it comes with a hose. I want to confirm that I have the right kind of converter, though, as I saw another one on Amazon (it's more expensive, but it looks like it's a quick-disconnect one).

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i would say you don't need the cleaning kit. use any old jam jar or beaker to dump paint into when changing colours, and some cheap interdental brushes for cleaning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
For a only $16 bucks, seems like a steal. Spray jar and a nozzle reamer are super useful tools.