Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Solar Coaster posted:

I dont even know on this one but I am dying to see this thing move.

https://i.imgur.com/i0VFa4g.mp4

So many people in this forum kick up a fuss about a car with under 200hp being dangerous for highway use and then there's this guy rolling around in a car with maybe 60hp max tugging 2 trailers not giving a single gently caress. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I feel like I know that metro, from a Lemons race many years ago. There's no cage, but it's totally in keeping.

I believe the four door would have had the 3 cylinder, as well. With an auto. Torque multiplication?

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Olympic Mathlete posted:

So many people in this forum kick up a fuss about a car with under 200hp being dangerous for highway use

Lol what? Most vehicles on the road in Europe have 80-130hp and we all cope just fine.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Lol what? Most vehicles on the road in Europe have 80-130hp and we all cope just fine.

i used to drive a 90HP dodge that was scary as hell on short onramps, the kind that are a joy now that i have a normal amount of power :shrug:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

I'm currently in a car with less engine power than my motorcycle. We're four adults in it. :v:

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Lord Ludikrous posted:

I seem to remember a bunch of US based people here saying that they'd never drive small engined cars on freeways because they don't have enough power. I like you just chuckled like the entirety of Europe hasn't been doing that since forever.

Collateral Damage posted:

I'm currently in a car with less engine power than my motorcycle. We're four adults in it. :v:

Really large bike or ludicrously small car? Details.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I drive a 99HP car on US highways and it feels totally fine. Anyone that says you need 200 HP to be safe is a loving idiot.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I seem to remember a bunch of US based people here saying that they'd never drive small engined cars on freeways because they don't have enough power. I like you just chuckled like the entirety of Europe hasn't been doing that since forever.

Comes up when a Subaru Crosstrek gets discussed. Which really is spectacularly dumb, the Crosstrek is not deathtrap slow and is in fact 3 seconds to the quarter faster than a 1st gen Forester. Which is in no way dangerously slow either.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Really large bike or ludicrously small car? Details.
The latter. It's a Peugeot 108, which has a 1000cc 3-cyl engine rated at 51kW.

My bike is a Ninja 650R which is a 650cc twin rated at 53kW.

The car is hilariously tiny. It can hold 120kph in 5th on flat road, but the driver had to downshift to 4th gear for every uphill or it would lose speed even at full throttle. :v:

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
I think it makes a difference that a lot of US highway ramps are dogshit, with tight curves, short merge lanes or a combo of both. Plus trucks are speed limited over here in euro land so you're not trying to merge into a wall of semis hammer down at 85mph.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

Collateral Damage posted:

The latter. It's a Peugeot 108, which has a 1000cc 3-cyl engine rated at 51kW.

My bike is a Ninja 650R which is a 650cc twin rated at 53kW.

The car is hilariously tiny. It can hold 120kph in 5th on flat road, but the driver had to downshift to 4th gear for every uphill or it would lose speed even at full throttle. :v:

And yet somehow Honda have made the new Civic, which weighs 50% more, still with a 1000cc 3cyl engine, with the addition of a turbo makes 126bhp (~94kW), and it drives amazingly well. Technology!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

jammyozzy posted:

I think it makes a difference that a lot of US highway ramps are dogshit, with tight curves, short merge lanes or a combo of both. Plus trucks are speed limited over here in euro land so you're not trying to merge into a wall of semis hammer down at 85mph.

Look, if a lovely old Prius can reach highway speed on a short onramp, or even a long-rear end one, what the hell are you even doing drifting over at 50km/h in your AMG Mercedes or ///M, I ask myself loving daily. It has nothing to do with the car or the road and everything to do with the sack of meat and misfiring synapses behind the wheel.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Finger Prince posted:

Look, if a lovely old Prius can reach highway speed on a short onramp, or even a long-rear end one, what the hell are you even doing drifting over at 50km/h in your AMG Mercedes or ///M, I ask myself loving daily. It has nothing to do with the car or the road and everything to do with the sack of meat and misfiring synapses behind the wheel.

Yep, if I lay into it with my prius c at the start of the onramp I could be 25mph over the speed limit by the time I merge. Traffic around me is usually 10 over.

Obviously there are exceptions (like I-90 in downtown chicago) but the vast majority of onramps in this country are over a third of a mile and that's plenty of room for everything being sold today to get into class A speeding territory.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Years ago, there was a goon that posted something about how he "wouldn't dare own anything with less than 300hp because it just wasn't safe to merge on to the highway". This was back when a whole poo poo load of stuff still didn't even come close to breaking the 300hp mark. Hell, even now lots of stuff doesn't break that mark but whatever.
I told him he can either stop bragging that his car has THREEHUNNIT PLUUSSS HOSEPOWA, or admit to being a big pussy.
He did neither.

My parents had a 1990 Mercury Topaz that had about 88 hp and a three speed automatic. Even with four people in the car it never had trouble getting up to highway speed on an onramp.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
poo poo, my first car, '81? Lynx, had less power than my current motorbike, and I could still get it going on the worst on ramps in the world, Boston's southeast expressway.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

Underpowered cars are great, I paid for the whole tach and all forward gears, I'm gonna fuckin use em

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

My neighbor has a 1649cc/160bhp/300kg bike, my daily is 1200cc/58bhp/850kg.

I'm excited about doing my bike training tomorrow, bring on the 125cc/11bhp/110kg upgrade!

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
My truck only has ~330 HP ( 260k miles ago), considering it's weight it's likely worse than most of these mid 100hp cars.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

My old motorcycle made more power than my current truck (172 vs 136) I can get my truck up to speed on the local sketchy onramp, but it's just down the hill from my house, so and I don't like to redline the engine when cold, that poo poo is like 1000 feet from a dead stop to a merge at 70mph. It's good fun on the motorcycle though.

E: googling for numbers I found out that my pickup weighs 300 lbs less than my 2017 Leaf.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

I drive a 1st gen Honda Fit in the US which is rated at 109hp (81kW) and it's fine. Passing on curvey highways can be difficult but on ramps are not a problem. My motorcycle, a BMW K1200RS, is also more powerful than my car at 130hp (97kW) but unfortunately it's not a tardis so it's not as useful as the Fit.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

redgubbinz posted:

Underpowered cars are great, I paid for the whole tach and all forward gears, I'm gonna fuckin use em

:hai:

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Some people have a psychological aversion to low-HP cars, as if they have visions of being the main protagonist in Duel.

Others have no clue how to get the most from a low-HP car, so they hate them.

My real beef is with timid drivers who creep along on-ramps and try to merge at 15-20 under the limit.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
My first car was an 86 Sundance. 93 HP when new. I got it when it was 9 years old. I imagine it had less than 93 by then. But it still got up on ramps fine. It even managed to feel peppy for what would be a pretty anemic engine now.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

90s Solo Cup posted:

Some people have a psychological aversion to low-HP cars, as if they have visions of being the main protagonist in Duel.

Others have no clue how to get the most from a low-HP car, so they hate them.

My real beef is with timid drivers who creep along on-ramps and try to merge at 15-20 under the limit.

People ask me why I sold a 485 bhp car and bought a 200 bhp one. Because the one with more power was a barge and the one with less is a mid engined Porsche. Simples. People get hung up on pure power without even knowing what they would do with it if they had it.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
One of the most fun cars I’ve ever driven was a Ford Ka rental car in france (60ish HP) in 2015. Part of that was because driving in France is a bit of an adventure with all of the motorcycles disregarding lanes in general (not a complaint, just a reality) and the widespread aggressive manner in which everyone else is driving, but the car itself was more than capable. Also as an American it was pretty novel to be able to rent a manual.

The prevalence of hatred towards low powered cars in the US might be because of the rarity of manual options. A low powered car can be a real dog when the transmission doesn’t let you choose when to shift.

When I got my current car (2018 4 banger Camaro) I test drove a Camaro SS first and while the power was fun, I’d barely be able to use most of it. The one I ended up with isn’t particularly “low power” but it’s still the lowest power Camaro available and at least driving it for me feels better than the high power versions simply because I can use the power it’s got whenever I want.

GutBomb fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Aug 1, 2020

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

GutBomb posted:

The prevalence of hatred towards low powered cars in the US might be because of the rarity of manual options. A low powered car can be a real dog when the transmission doesn’t let you choose when to shift.
Yeah 100%. Fighting against a 3 speed slushbox is no fun.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
You all have thoroughly defeated the some goon said straw man. Congrats on your low HP cars.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

90s Solo Cup posted:

Hey man, it’s scary to turn the wheel more than 10° at anything faster than parking lot speeds.

(This is my pet peeve too. I love merging into semi trucks doing 70 at 35 loving miles an hour.)

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!

Chris Knight posted:

Yeah 100%. Fighting against a 3 speed slushbox is no fun.

Especially if it's one that's not electronically controlled. Someone at Toyota deserves a stern talking to for letting the Corolla continue with the miserable A131L for so long.

Chrysler too, if I'm correct, although I don't know what exact years and vehicles.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

CarForumPoster posted:

You all have thoroughly defeated the some goon said straw man. Congrats on your low HP cars.

thank you car forum poster for being the last word

bonelessdongs
Jul 17, 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gguBLoLGntI
Oh my loving god

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

That loving noise that can't be right, can it? It sounds like it has four torched rod bearings.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

redgubbinz posted:

We do it for the noise. The sweet sweet noise. There's no better thrill than driving some underpowered piece of poo poo at 140% of its abilities.

100hp to the ground. 7000 lb.
then a huge fuckoff turbo came along.
so probably 101hp on the ground. and a camper. so it's now 11000lb.
5 forward gears on stick one. 2 on stick two. It'll twin stick just fine.

now riddle me this. WHY IS THIS THE FASTEST loving THING ON THE ROADS. Biturbo shitbox mershitties v8 with 650 hp? WHY AM I OUTPULLING THEM ON A 6% GRADE OR A loving ENTRANCE RAMP. You got the power. loving. USE. IT.

bike? ~100 something hp to the ground, 470lb, on knobbies and a pre-runners amount of suspension travel. it's big and dumb.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm either smoking an AMG R-spec M-Camaro or getting smoked by a V6 Accord no matter how I'm driving.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

cursedshitbox posted:

We do it for the noise. The sweet sweet noise. There's no better thrill than driving some underpowered piece of poo poo at 140% of its abilities.

100hp to the ground. 7000 lb.
then a huge fuckoff turbo came along.
so probably 101hp on the ground. and a camper. so it's now 11000lb.
5 forward gears on stick one. 2 on stick two. It'll twin stick just fine.

now riddle me this. WHY IS THIS THE FASTEST loving THING ON THE ROADS. Biturbo shitbox mershitties v8 with 650 hp? WHY AM I OUTPULLING THEM ON A 6% GRADE OR A loving ENTRANCE RAMP. You got the power. loving. USE. IT.

Got a 160 hp 5-speed Focus and in normal city driving I rarely shift above 2000 rpm and I'm still out-accelerating pretty much everything.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
"like hell I'm doing that, I stop and wait for a gap. No one is smashing up my car"

- the counter person at the garage I used to use for safety inspections

No seriously. They said that. I tried to argue that an accident is much less likely if you're merging at speed than trying to cram into 80mph traffic from a standing start but they were not having it. I gave up. Some people are just too uneducated and I didn't want to burn bridges with the shop willing to put a sticker on my janky shitboxes.

Meanwhile I've never had an issue merging because I'm not afraid of corners or speed.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Manufacturers shouldn't even be allowed to sell cars with less than 300 hp

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack

MomJeans420 posted:

Wait a minute, let's actually hear this guy out.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

MomJeans420 posted:

Thanks, now this will come true, but because you didn't specify, they will all weigh 30,000 lbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i fly an airplane with 95hp