Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Still Dismal posted:

lmao i'm just some dude you loving weirdo, I'm not in anyone's pocket, I would just like to not have to live with roomates until I'm 45.

What the gently caress, why are you even in this subforum if you're going to correctly point out that homeowners are manipulated by self interest to serve conservatism and stymie positive change, and then turn around and post something this blithely naive and uncritical?

Guess what, dummy! That's the wish of every homeowner! This is the real poison of YIMBYism right here -- taking people with noble intentions, who go "NIMBYism is bad, those people are fairweather progressives, I support left things happening whether I have to put up with them or not!" and corrupting it so thoroughly into an astroturf movement parroting talking points for developers and property managers that you literally go and argue with leftists that landlords are fine, actually, and they SUPPORT progressive legislation, unlike the conservative homeowner voting bloc! Tenants have plenty of rights!

Do us a favor, go to the bathroom, turn on the sink, and run it through one ear and out the other. Some soap may not go amiss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I will say, having started reading The Color of Law recently, that it's hard not to put homeowners and landlords on the same level of awfulness.

I think maybe a better tact is to take a step back and point out how racism and wealth disparity are baked into how everyone that owns homes and rents out apartments must participate.

Inside that lovely system, there are also lovely individuals that like that. gently caress those assholes.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Jul 31, 2020

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
When I was six years my mother explained the concept of a landlord to me and my reaction was "what?! people get paid for doing absolutely nothing?! that's the best job ever!" and nothing I have learned since then has ever changed my mind about that.

Refried Hero
Jan 22, 2006

King of the grill

I dunno, it really seems to me the problem here is capitalism more than anything else. The problems with homeowners can almost entirely be placed on capitalism, why blame them for being a cog in a lovely system?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
Man it feels awkward to own a home here. I despise prop 13, vote for taxes that help the community, and am pro housing at any way possible.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

good job sowing division in the working class, Still Dismal

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
My late grandma's house is about to be sold for over a million and she paid $910 in property tax last year. There's an underfunded school right across the street. Prop 13 is a disaster. (So is funding education via property tax, of course.)

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

We could kill two birds with one stone and pay for schools out of the state budget instead but imagine how the people who bought into the expensive neighborhood “for the schools” would howl

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Ron Jeremy posted:

We could kill two birds with one stone and pay for schools out of the state budget instead but imagine how the people who bought into the expensive neighborhood “for the schools” would howl

I am imagining it and the sound is pleasing

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Aeka 2.0 posted:

Man it feels awkward to own a home here. I despise prop 13, vote for taxes that help the community, and am pro housing at any way possible.

Don't feel bad, Still Dismal usually lives up to their username.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Refried Hero posted:

I dunno, it really seems to me the problem here is capitalism more than anything else.
Yes landlords and home owners are acting completely rationally. And by extension I don't think it would be irrational if other people decided it was in their best interest to use whatever tools available to nudge landlords and home owners into behaving in a way that aligns with the interest of others.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Doc Hawkins posted:

good job sowing division in the working class, Still Dismal

Don't worry, the alienation of the worker from other workers doesn't assist the rentier capitalist or anything. They're not in anyone's pocket :)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
As somebody who's currently got a Sword of Damocles hanging over my head because my landlord wants to remodel and it's a ticking clock until he kicks us out, am facing at a minimum a 50% rent increase to stay in this area, and both my roommates are out of work - one of whom can't get unemployment because of some asinine technicality - I am not particularly feeling sympathetic to landlords at this point in time.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Sydin posted:

As somebody who's currently got a Sword of Damocles hanging over my head because my landlord wants to remodel and it's a ticking clock until he kicks us out, am facing at a minimum a 50% rent increase to stay in this area, and both my roommates are out of work - one of whom can't get unemployment because of some asinine technicality - I am not particularly feeling sympathetic to landlords at this point in time.

But hey at least they're not as resistant to new development in your area as the local homeowners!

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

I don't think anyone is arguing they're less resistant to new housing, just that for every landlord there's 1000 homeowners. So in terms of voting for local elections/showing up to whine at planning meetings, most of the no-housing voices are homeowners.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
hmmm but according to the supreme court money is actually free speech, so it sounds like landlords actually absorb and control the housing-cost-based free speech of all of their tenants

now i'll just look up what percentage of californians rent and... oh, oh no

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

hmmm but according to the supreme court money is actually free speech, so it sounds like landlords actually absorb and control the housing-cost-based free speech of all of their tenants

now i'll just look up what percentage of californians rent and... oh, oh no

You mean what percentage of Californians are provided housing by landlords as a valuable service?? We should increase that percentage imho since homeowners are just bad news. After all, in America, a large group of individuals has much more power in government than a small group of very wealthy people.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Ron Jeremy posted:

I got to hear this howling live on YouTube during the Riverside School Board meeting. The way they've developed the virtual education option, all students will be enrolled in a "virtual school" that will span the entire school district. This means that they'll be divided into classrooms and given teachers as necessary and completely unrelated to where they live in Riverside. So all of the parents that moved their children into the "good" school districts will now have their children in classes with students from everywhere in the city with teachers from everywhere in the city. Many of the parents were ultra pissed.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

It's plausible to me that bureaucrats on a planning commission actually do listen mostly to a bunch of current residents complaining during the community input meeting part of a project. They're not usually elected, plus property developers will have just as many lobbying dollars as existing landlords.

I think the best solution would be to do zoning and planning on a regional basis and just ignore local community concerns. It's a lot easier to get people to agree to something like "the bay area needs more housing" than "building a 5-story apartment complex in my neighborhood is fine". You would need careful rules to not just dump all building disruption onto poor areas, but (1) that's happening now anyway and it's easier to assign fair development quotas to areas at a regional level, and (2) building nothing is just screwing the poor in slow motion.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Anonymous Zebra posted:

I got to hear this howling live on YouTube during the Riverside School Board meeting. The way they've developed the virtual education option, all students will be enrolled in a "virtual school" that will span the entire school district. This means that they'll be divided into classrooms and given teachers as necessary and completely unrelated to where they live in Riverside. So all of the parents that moved their children into the "good" school districts will now have their children in classes with students from everywhere in the city with teachers from everywhere in the city. Many of the parents were ultra pissed.

Yo this owns like hell and is loving hilarious.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Kenning posted:

Ya that's loving awesome.

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?
Merging the technological and political definitions of bussing

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

Kenning posted:

are there any tears about this anywhere, i imagine there are amazing letters to the editor

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Mitsuo posted:

Merging the technological and political definitions of bussing

:perfect:

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
The one thing that sucks is that if you choose virutal in Riverside, dual immersion students lose their spot, so you must attend in person to keep your spot.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
lol it owns that riverside is doing that. Funding schools through property taxes is insane.

Foxfire_ posted:

It's plausible to me that bureaucrats on a planning commission actually do listen mostly to a bunch of current residents complaining during the community input meeting part of a project. They're not usually elected, plus property developers will have just as many lobbying dollars as existing landlords.

I think the best solution would be to do zoning and planning on a regional basis and just ignore local community concerns. It's a lot easier to get people to agree to something like "the bay area needs more housing" than "building a 5-story apartment complex in my neighborhood is fine". You would need careful rules to not just dump all building disruption onto poor areas, but (1) that's happening now anyway and it's easier to assign fair development quotas to areas at a regional level, and (2) building nothing is just screwing the poor in slow motion.

One of the very few unqualified good things about the pandemic is that most community input meetings have moved to zoom, meaning that it’s actually possible to get more of representative sample of people who live in or want to move to the area, rather than boomer busybodies who can afford to take three hours off in the middle of the day.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Still Dismal posted:

One of the very few unqualified good things about the pandemic is that most community input meetings have moved to zoom, meaning that it’s actually possible to get more of representative sample of people who live in or want to move to the area, rather than boomer busybodies who can afford to take three hours off in the middle of the day.
Almost every Principal I've talked to said that their Zoom/Virtual Town Hall/Coffee With events got like a 4-10x boost of parents vs. In-person.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Yeah the barrier for entry into those meetings being “has access to a smartphone/computer” is a lot better than requiring physical presence, which is impractical for lots of people. It makes things like city council meetings a lot more accessible and is one of the extremely few things I think should stay virtual even when we have a vaccine.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

Aeka 2.0 posted:

The one thing that sucks is that if you choose virutal in Riverside, dual immersion students lose their spot, so you must attend in person to keep your spot.

Yes, the Riverside city situation is a lot more complicated than it initially appears from a cursory glance. I'll try to describe it, but the entire thing with school choice in RUSD is insane from the point of view of myself who is used to East Coast (or Swiss) schools.

So, kids here do not always go to the school next to where they live. They can do that, but equally as often it seems as if children "transfer" to other schools that are either better or have special programs that they won the lottery for. This is why every school here has traffic jams of individual parents driving in their own cars dropping off/picking up their kids.

Individual schools in Riverside are also not the same (beyond the obvious differences based on socioeconomic stuff). There are programs, such as the aforementioned "Duel Language Immersion", that are only at some schools and not others. To enroll in these programs, parents have to enter their child in a lottery and if they get in THEN they apply for a transfer to a school that has the program.

So how is this complicated by COVID? Well RUSD has given parents 3 choices for the school year. 1) A hybrid in-person class, 2) An all virtual class, 3) Home schooling. So parents that are nervous can choose the latter twice choices to keep their kids home legally. The problem? Only the first choice keeps you in your transfer spot. So parents that got their kids into the better schools or one of these excellent programs HAVE to choose choice 1 or they lose their spot.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Anonymous Zebra posted:

Yes, the Riverside city situation is a lot more complicated than it initially appears from a cursory glance. I'll try to describe it, but the entire thing with school choice in RUSD is insane from the point of view of myself who is used to East Coast (or Swiss) schools.

So, kids here do not always go to the school next to where they live. They can do that, but equally as often it seems as if children "transfer" to other schools that are either better or have special programs that they won the lottery for. This is why every school here has traffic jams of individual parents driving in their own cars dropping off/picking up their kids.

Individual schools in Riverside are also not the same (beyond the obvious differences based on socioeconomic stuff). There are programs, such as the aforementioned "Duel Language Immersion", that are only at some schools and not others. To enroll in these programs, parents have to enter their child in a lottery and if they get in THEN they apply for a transfer to a school that has the program.

So how is this complicated by COVID? Well RUSD has given parents 3 choices for the school year. 1) A hybrid in-person class, 2) An all virtual class, 3) Home schooling. So parents that are nervous can choose the latter twice choices to keep their kids home legally. The problem? Only the first choice keeps you in your transfer spot. So parents that got their kids into the better schools or one of these excellent programs HAVE to choose choice 1 or they lose their spot.

Yeah, this is the position that I am in. I have twins that are "in" their spots for DLI, they've been in for Grade 1 and 2, and now Grade 3 they may lose it depending on how we act.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Still Dismal posted:

lol it owns that riverside is doing that. Funding schools through property taxes is insane.

My wife has been to a lot of these virtual meetings with various school boards/city councils/etc lately and they have a million tricks to avoid actually interacting with the public. They move the time/date at the last minute, they'll accept public comments, but only read the first half dozen, or the last half dozen, or a couple hand-selected comments. Sometimes the councilors will just leave while the public comments are read and only return afterwards.

The good news, I guess, is more people are seeing how nakedly corrupt their local government is.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Good news everyone:

Gavin Newsom will gently caress your wife.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008

Class Warcraft posted:

My wife has been to a lot of these virtual meetings with various school boards/city councils/etc lately and they have a million tricks to avoid actually interacting with the public. They move the time/date at the last minute, they'll accept public comments, but only read the first half dozen, or the last half dozen, or a couple hand-selected comments. Sometimes the councilors will just leave while the public comments are read and only return afterwards.

The good news, I guess, is more people are seeing how nakedly corrupt their local government is.

True, but they always did that stuff anyway, but with meetings that you had to physically attend at the county building at 10:30 on a wednesday, accessable only by car, parking $2.50 an hour, 2 hours away from where you live during rush hour traffic. The reason you see so many cranks at city council meetings is that putting up with all of that to yell at the guys elected on an off year election to a position that doesn't have a salary (thus ensuring only retired/wealthy can serve), makes you a little insane by default. Zoom meetings are still a big improvement in terms of making these things accessible to normal people.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Kenning posted:

Gavin Newsom will gently caress your wife.

It's a dirty job, but someone has to do it!

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Prima Nocta, but for cop's wives and GFs

luminalflux
May 27, 2005

The Glumslinger posted:

Prima Nocta, but for cop's wives and GFs

Cuck the police

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

less funny when you consider DV rates for law enforcement families

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Doc Hawkins posted:

less funny when you consider DV rates for law enforcement families

Makes sense when you realize their primary relationship is to their firearm and getting its rocks off together in an expression of joyous, state-sanctioned violence. That 'family' is the side piece.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

it's more that there's an extremely clear through-line that includes imperialist violence, settler-colonialist violence (cop and SYG murder goes here), and domestic violence. we think it's really normal to project gender and racial hierarchies by having men set up borders and police both sides of them with the constant threat of firearms death.

e: would you like to know more?

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Class Warcraft posted:

I mean, the state government is just as nakedly corrupt as well? Committees in the legislature try to minimize public input unless they're trying to setup a photo op and state agencies are loathe to deal with public comments during the rulemaking process (which is where OAL will review the ones they rejected and usually tell them to answer questions that are still on topic).