Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I didn't know Lexmoto even made bikes. I thought they were a Chinese bike accessories manufacturer, mostly exhaust systems w/ poo poo carbon fiber sleeves.

edit: page 666 snipe

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jul 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

I typed random avatar and this happened.
I had a Loncin cafe racer knockoff bike for about 6 to 7 months and it was more reliable than my 2nd gen KTM DUKE 390.

Honestly, it served its purpose wonderfully, it answered the question: is motorcycling something I REALLY wanna do? I sold it to another person who had that same question and it now belongs to a kid who uses it to go to school and learn to wrench on. I mean, again, it is still a not very good bike, but change the default horrible horrible Cordial poo poo rear end tires and it scoots along just fine. Hell, that kid still uses it as his daily a couple of years laters and gets him around for almost no money.

It’ll never be a jewel to be passed down, it won’t be the pride of your eyes, it will never be AI’s darling image of a motorcycling (a DR400 / old goldwing ridden by a goon in an aerostich) but I still find some value and charm on some of those Chinese bikes.

I don’t know, maybe it was because it was my first bike experience and I’m looking at it with rose colored glasses.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

That being said. If you can get a reputable Japanese bike, get that one instead. Don’t buy a cheap Chinese bike.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

In my eyes the real value in Chinese bikes is they will put an engine in anything and sell it. And they will do it on bikes that are way too low volume for the big manufacturers to think about

Want a clone of a 70’s beach bike? China makes one

Want a clone of a Honda Z50? China makes one

Want a normal bike with an ATV rear end that is somehow also street legal? China makes one

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Want a clone of a 70’s beach bike? China makes one

What is this type of bike/china clone? All I'm turning up is pictures like this.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mulligan posted:

I had a Loncin cafe racer knockoff bike for about 6 to 7 months and it was more reliable than my 2nd gen KTM DUKE 390.

I'm not knocking anything you've said but this isn't a recommendation, or surprising, at all.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Coydog posted:

What is this type of bike/china clone?

Someone can correct me but I think like the Van Van and tw200, big old tire for sand, reviews of Van Van talk about that legacy, which I'd otherwise never heard of.

mulligan
Jul 4, 2008

Slavvy posted:

I'm not knocking anything you've said but this isn't a recommendation, or surprising, at all.

Oh for sure, that loving oil filter / banjo / oil sensor required like 4 dealer visits under warranty to sort out. It ruined an awesome ride to the beach the day it started acting up with a red, giant oil pressure low warning on the screen. Of course it ended up being one of those "Ahh you missed it, we had a great time" kinda trip.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Yea, the Suzuki VanVan, released in the states as the RV.

It was specifically designed to run on sand, with smooth sand tires and an onboard air pump for airing down the tires on the beach and airing them back up on the street.

The Yamaha BW and TW as well as the Honda Fat Cat sort of fit into this category but aren’t specifically built for the beach. The BW and Fat Cat also aren’t street legal which is sort of a requirement to be a beach bike. The TW is more like the RV125

Suzuki eventually remarketed the RV as a woods bike as well as selling an agricultural trim after the short lived beach bike fad died.

As for the clone, Skyteam sells the TRex which is an RV90 clone

As well as the Raptor, which clones the newer VanVan 125

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 28, 2020

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Hah, I've ridden one of these though it was badged differently. Those tyres/wheels are beyond awful.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Are they the split wheels on the clone? The split wheels on the RV90 are amazing and are the easiest tire changes I’ve ever done

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

No they weren't, the rim was bolted to the hub, it was like a little car wheel. I know what you're talking about because all the old Vespas/LML have that setup, it rules and is the only good thing about those bikes.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Slavvy posted:

Post/AV combo.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Nice image + page number combo.

There is A LOT going on visually on that bike

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Slavvy posted:

Ok clearly I wasn't obvious enough but: Chinese bikes are terrible beyond belief, only buy one if you consider it a totally expendable, disposable way to ride a bike for 6-12 months.
I'm always surprised/confused when I see discussion on a Chinese bike that doesn't begin and end with "total irredeemable piece of poo poo." If you've sat on, ridden and looked at more than a few bikes of any make, you'll see a noticeable difference with Chinese stuff that no other quite comes close to, although some models from other brands stray in that direction. (Virago 250, BN125...) The all-encompassing world view of "don't give a poo poo" of the designers, manufacturers, engineers, QA people etc. is tangible, visible, almost an odor. The bikes themselves, and every component therein, are the cheapest, least innovative or reliable or thought-out devices, assembled and looked over by people who only wanted to get their poverty level wages and go home. It is thoroughly depressing to ride and work on them because of this. Nobody gave a poo poo anywhere along the way, from the petroleum that got refined into the cheapest plastics (yes there are different qualities of plastics, and Chinese bikes have the shittiest strain of them) to the thing that rolls down the street emitting carbon monoxide. Everyone involved only wanted to make as much money as possible or pay as little money as possible and had not even a concept of pride or integrity in their work or business practices. The number of Chinese scooters with "ABS" written on the brakes which do not have Antilock Braking Systems (none of the ones that say "ABS" have ABS) speaks to this. I don't know how these things haven't been banned from import and sale as fraudulent and criminally dangerous.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

You can see the difference when you look at Yamahas and Kawasakis made in Taiwan and Brazil vs Japan too, fit and finish are way lower, plastics are sprung and don't fit right etc.

Don't have a lot of experience with Chinese bikes, besides scooters, which are considered disposable after about 30kmi.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

I'm always surprised/confused when I see discussion on a Chinese bike that doesn't begin and end with "total irredeemable piece of poo poo." If you've sat on, ridden and looked at more than a few bikes of any make, you'll see a noticeable difference with Chinese stuff that no other quite comes close to, although some models from other brands stray in that direction. (Virago 250, BN125...) The all-encompassing world view of "don't give a poo poo" of the designers, manufacturers, engineers, QA people etc. is tangible, visible, almost an odor. The bikes themselves, and every component therein, are the cheapest, least innovative or reliable or thought-out devices, assembled and looked over by people who only wanted to get their poverty level wages and go home. It is thoroughly depressing to ride and work on them because of this. Nobody gave a poo poo anywhere along the way, from the petroleum that got refined into the cheapest plastics (yes there are different qualities of plastics, and Chinese bikes have the shittiest strain of them) to the thing that rolls down the street emitting carbon monoxide. Everyone involved only wanted to make as much money as possible or pay as little money as possible and had not even a concept of pride or integrity in their work or business practices. The number of Chinese scooters with "ABS" written on the brakes which do not have Antilock Braking Systems (none of the ones that say "ABS" have ABS) speaks to this. I don't know how these things haven't been banned from import and sale as fraudulent and criminally dangerous.

I have a Taiwanese scooter with 'catalytic converter' on the muffler. It's a carby two stroke.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

The weird thing about Chinese bikes is 99% of the time they are clones of an actual good bike, so the engineering is decent, mechanically. It’s the build quality that is the problem, the castings are terrible, the machining is eyeballed at best, everything is just a bad fit, either too loose or too tight.

A bit like If you took that semi transparent paper used for tracing drawings and applied that concept to a whole bike. You can definitely tell what is supposed to be going on in the engine, it’s just so sloppily made that the quality of the original engineering work is just totally and literally lost in translation.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The weird thing about Chinese bikes is 99% of the time they are clones of an actual good bike, so the engineering is decent, mechanically. It’s the build quality that is the problem, the castings are terrible, the machining is eyeballed at best, everything is just a bad fit, either too loose or too tight.

A bit like If you took that semi transparent paper used for tracing drawings and applied that concept to a whole bike. You can definitely tell what is supposed to be going on in the engine, it’s just so sloppily made that the quality of the original engineering work is just totally and literally lost in translation.

Yes that's an interesting way of looking at if. It seems different manufacturers have different levels of
-engineering quality
-build quality (as in castings etc)
-assembly quality
-luxuriousness of parts

It seems Japanese bikes go for primitive parts to save money, for example a Versys has no fancy components and is heavy. But it's put together well and uses proven parts that have been used on many, many bikes for years.
A KTM 690 fails on all counts: bad engineering (example: oil return reed valve that gets shavings under it and fails), cams/followers that wear down, factory fuckups such as that my old biek's engine had two of those valves installed, made of plastic and stickers that are bubbling from new.
My Buell was put together reasonably well and the parts didn't really wear excessively or anything, but it had a bunch ill thought out design decisions that result in stuff chafing/breaking, air leaks, etc.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

1. Material quality costs money every time you build a bike, but you can get it back with the right pricing and scale.

2. Good design costs money, but only once.

3. R&D to make sure things don't vibrate and chafe costs huge money, and you only get it back with scale.

Japanese brands have all three of these in spades, with the main differences being how much is spent on 1.

European brands usually have good 1 and 2, with the main differences being how much is spent on 3.

Buell only had the money for 2.

KTM have limited funds they frantically piss into 1 and 2 because 3 is for nerds.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Are Huskies and KTMs equally prone to blowing up or rattling themselves apart? Looking for a dual sport biek to zoom zoom around on in the 350-500 cc range.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

kloa posted:

Are Huskies and KTMs equally prone to blowing up or rattling themselves apart? Looking for a dual sport biek to zoom zoom around on in the 350-500 cc range.

They are identical, but I have no first hand experience with the off-road models.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

kloa posted:

ask me in 2 years, just bought a '20 FE 501s

idk, i was looking for an adv-lite replacement for longer range travel than the DRZ (which will now remain in sumo trim). i read a handful of accounts from youtuber type personalities (rtwpaul etc) who have done multiple round the world trips on a KTM 500 EXCF with a top end replacement being the heaviest maintenance needed after a poo poo ton of miles. the people i asked who own one were favorable as long as you are keeping up with valve checks and oil changes.

the 350, 450 and 500 motors seem to have a really good overall reputation for reliability and the trademark austrian performance so i'm pretty excited to see where this thing goes

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I'm excited to hear how it works for you, too. The 501 is at the top of my list for a bonkers featherweight supermoto.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

kloa posted:

there's a raisin that they're pretty much the go to dual sporting / offroad bike. if you don't mind spending more to get a lighter, higher hp, bike with better suspension that you may have to wrench on a bit more, then you'll be fine

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

right arm posted:

there's a raisin that they're pretty much the go to dual sporting / offroad bike. if you don't mind spending more to get a lighter, higher hp, bike with better suspension that you may have to wrench on a bit more, then you'll be fine

Also they WILL come with one or two exciting bonus features like regularly stalling in busy intersections. It's like a lootbox you don't open until you've owned the bike, though.

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

right arm posted:

Yeah, wrenching is no prob.

I've just been researching and things like DR200/WR250/KLX250/CRF230,CRF250Ls are as expensive, or often times more so, than a few TE 501/EXC 500/530s I've seen pop up :psyduck:

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
All pleasure vehicles have skyrocketed since covid. You can barely find a wr around here and they're asking half of the new value for a 20 year old bike.

I'm glad I got my bike when I did.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

the castings are terrible,
Did I mention the Royal Enfield I worked on a few years back, I think it was a 2008ish 500 single, where you could see part the outline of a bolt cast into the body of a fork leg. I take it they were recycling metals and accidentally got a steel bolt in the aluminum slag they cast the fork leg out of and just left it in there. Cause who cares? It was on the outside which is only cosmetic. It's fine.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Did I mention the Royal Enfield I worked on a few years back, I think it was a 2008ish 500 single, where you could see part the outline of a bolt cast into the body of a fork leg. I take it they were recycling metals and accidentally got a steel bolt in the aluminum slag they cast the fork leg out of and just left it in there. Cause who cares? It was on the outside which is only cosmetic. It's fine.

There are so many cursed posts on the 666 page I love it.

Also seriously wtf. How does that not weaken the structure of the fork?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Because steel is stronger than aluminium! :pseudo:

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Okay serious post, 3000 mile 2015 Honda cb125f for £2k, I can't go wrong there right?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
For that money I'd want it to be absolutely spotless. It's not totally unreasonable for a newish 125, but it is firmly on the high side. Ask if it's had new tyres lately, because if it's still on the factory rubber at this point you'd really want them changed. Ditto oil and fluids, for the age it probably should have had them changed but at 3000 miles it's dubious whether anyone will have bothered, and for that money for that bike I'd want to be able to just ride away without worrying about forking out more for immediate maintenance.

CB125F is a good bike though.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

cakesmith handyman posted:

Okay serious post, 3000 mile 2015 Honda cb125f for £2k, I can't go wrong there right?

My 2014 Honda CBF125 with about 7000 miles was £1700 in November 2019, and that's in central Scotland, where there aren't that many used 125cc bikes.

If you're in England, particularly in the south, £2000 for a 2015 CB125F would be way too much if this were a regular, non-COVID year. Right now, though, I expect price gouging. Hell, I expect to be setting the starting price of mine at £2700 when I sell it in a few months.

As the other poster said, make sure it's got fresh tires and oil and that the horn works.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'd not thought about tyre age, good call. I figured half of new price at 5 years and those miles didn't sound a terrible deal, especially as 20 year old cg125s were going for 1500-2000.

I guess I wasn't the only one who thought I'd get a bike as I'm going to die anyway, I might as well choose how.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

kloa posted:

Honda just came out with their crf450L so if you don’t care as much about weight or power and don’t want slavvy to make fun of you then get that. A dude has gone round the world on a ktm 500 though so...

Coydog posted:

Also they WILL come with one or two exciting bonus features like regularly stalling in busy intersections. It's like a lootbox you don't open until you've owned the bike, though.

I can’t speak to 690s. My 450 is a little tough to find neutral when running but frankly I think this is intentional. My Beta 390 had the same problem but it’s nice to never accidentally shift into neutral when you’re on the trail.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I've found that my Husky is EXCELLENT at finding neutral when I'm going up a hill at WOT and I accidentally tap the shifter with my giant gorilla feet.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Prices of used bikes have been going corona crazy, so I'm pretty set on just buying new for my first bike. I've been googling about margin fattening fees/actual fees from the dealer. They discounted the bike by $800 on their website, but looks like just added it back in documentation fees.

Price for Yahama MT03 $3900
Freight: 498
Dealer prep: 388
Waste tire fee: 2
Sales tax: 415
Document/Admin: 600

Set in stone:
Freight (although this was about $75 higher than what yamaha has stated on their website)
Sales tax
Registration

Pork:
Document/admin
Dealer prep
Waste tire fee (lol what this was $2)

Obviously I will negotiate on out the door price, but I want to give a reasonable counter offer since I know the margins on entry level bikes are slimmer. I was thinking $4900 out the door. Am I on the right track here? It's a 2020, entry level bike, so I doubt they have much wiggle room. I just want to pay a fair price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

When I bought my MT-07 I only ever discussed OTD price, the only time I looked at a price breakdown like that was to make sure the tax was calculated correctly and the total matched what the salesman quoted me.

I'm not a hardball negotiator or anything but for me, MSRP + Destination + Sales Tax is the "default price", and I wouldn't be willing to pay any more than that amount unless it was something super new and high-demand like a Tenere 700. For a normal bike I'd say anything a few hundred bucks or more under that "default price" would be a fair deal of some degree.