Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rock My Socks! posted:

I’ve been out of the 3DS homebrew scene for years now. Do you just drop the file into the sd card’s root?

If you have home brew launcher installed, you drop the file into the 3ds folder on your SD card and then launch it from Homebrew launcher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

Nice thanks!

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Interestingly, someone JUST recompiled the N64 source code of Super Mario 64 to run on Homebrewed 3DS.
I just tried it and it looks and plays amazingly on my n3DS

https://gofile.io/d/yRama3

This loving rules. Gonna try it.

64DS isn’t that bad. It’s pretty decent on 3DS due to the circle pad working as faux analog. It kinda feels like 3D Land and 3D World.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
64DS is hot garbage on the original DS, but yeah on 3DS it's basically just "know you have to let go of the run button a lot".

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I like a lot of the things it added. If that rumored 64 Switch remake/remaster is true, I hope it includes elements from both versions and you could choose.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Oh gosh. You've reminded me that I played through the entirety of Super Mario 64 DS using the thumb thing on an OG DS. In retrospect, that explains my fondness for Mr. Driller as Drill Spirits was the only other DS game I had until Kirby: Canvas Curse came out. To come full circle, my import copy of Drill Land arrived today.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Oh gosh. You've reminded me that I played through the entirety of Super Mario 64 DS using the thumb thing on an OG DS. In retrospect, that explains my fondness for Mr. Driller as Drill Spirits was the only other DS game I had until Kirby: Canvas Curse came out. To come full circle, my import copy of Drill Land arrived today.

I played with that too and it kinda worked? I certainly wouldn’t want to go back to using that though. Drill Land owns a lot.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Weird. I turned on my CFW 2DS for the first time in a long time, and it won't boot up when the SD card has write protection mode disabled. Is the SD card corrupted? I can do whatever I want with it when I pop it into my computer.

Edit: Complaining on the internet worked.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jul 31, 2020

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Does Mario 64 run better on New 3DS?

JammyB
May 23, 2001

I slept with Mary and Joseph never found out

Detective No. 27 posted:

Weird. I turned on my CFW 2DS for the first time in a long time, and it won't boot up when the SD card has write protection mode disabled. Is the SD card corrupted? I can do whatever I want with it when I pop it into my computer.

Edit: Complaining on the internet worked.

Mine does this. There's a little lever in the SD slot that the DS uses to check for write-protection. 90% of the time when I take the card out and put it back in, the lever doesn't work properly, and it boots up and complains.

I 'fixed' it by putting small slivers of tape over the card switch, but now it doesn't fit so easily into my PC card reader.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Detective No. 27 posted:

Does Mario 64 run better on New 3DS?

Apparently it does, I've seen some reports of slowdown on OG 3DS.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Apparently it does, I've seen some reports of slowdown on OG 3DS.

While it's probably not a universal thing across all games just due to individual differences in engines and programming between titles, Okamiden demonstrably runs much better on a 3DS with a smooth framerate. I wouldn't be surprised if some/most other DS games do so as well.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

While it's probably not a universal thing across all games just due to individual differences in engines and programming between titles, Okamiden demonstrably runs much better on a 3DS with a smooth framerate. I wouldn't be surprised if some/most other DS games do so as well.

I think they were talking about the new homebrew release! Not 64DS

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

I think they were talking about the new homebrew release! Not 64DS

Ahh :doh:. I saw the 64DS talk earlier upthread and got them confused.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

We finally have a date and price for the final physical 3DS game.

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1289279695197016065?s=19

Ugh I wish it wasn't the same week as the Analogue Pocket preorder. :negative:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Detective No. 27 posted:

We finally have a date and price for the final physical 3DS game.

https://twitter.com/LimitedRunGames/status/1289279695197016065?s=19

Ugh I wish it wasn't the same week as the Analogue Pocket preorder. :negative:

Thanks for notifying me about the Pocket preorders. No way I’m missing that.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Ah yeah. 8am Aug 3rd. Shame they don't ship until May 2021. But I'm excited.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

What are some good games (available digitally) on 3ds? Like eshop only stuff. I've got like pushmo and the box boy games but I want to make a list of stuff worth buying before it shuts down one day.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Mario 64 port doesn't have stereoscopic 3D, right?

Ineffiable posted:

What are some good games (available digitally) on 3ds? Like eshop only stuff. I've got like pushmo and the box boy games but I want to make a list of stuff worth buying before it shuts down one day.

Gotta Protectors and Pocket Card Jockey are two big ones.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Gotta Protectors and Pocket Card Jockey are two big ones.

Yes

Bouillon Rube
Aug 6, 2009

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The Mario 64 port doesn't have stereoscopic 3D, right?

Nah. It does look quite good though.

If you read through this Reddit thread there are links to multiple versions (different texture sizes, some with AA and some without). I’m running the higher res version on my new 3ds and it seems buttery smooth (though it did hard freeze on startup one time)

Not that I’m complaining, but how is Nintendo not suing the dick off this guy already?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Roms/comments/i0bkd6/super_mario_64_3ds_compiled/

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Now that source code has leaked for a lot of classic Nintendo games, I’m looking forward to unofficial high quality ports on a lot of various things.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The pocket looks very cool but also is it really $200

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The pocket looks very cool but also is it really $200

Yes. That’s a quite reasonable price for it, imo, considering the screen it has and FPGA. It isn’t some android emulation box.

My main worry about it is how it’ll feel in hand. It looks a bit too cramped in photos. I wish they would have went with an original GBA orientation with the buttons on the side of the screen rather than under. It’s much more comfortable.

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Aug 1, 2020

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Not being dumb here but what’s the benefit of hardware emulation over a modded psp or vita (which imo has a great screen)

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Not being dumb here but what’s the benefit of hardware emulation over a modded psp or vita (which imo has a great screen)

Better emulation (I'm very happy with the GBA emulation on my Vita fwiw))

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Potentially lower input/display latency, and guaranteed to never run slower than the original hardware as emulators sometimes do when running on weaker hardware

Analogues stuff is very accurate too, not really more accurate than the best PC emulators but the stuff you get on limited systems like the PSP tends to cut corners

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

repiv posted:

Potentially lower input/display latency, and guaranteed to never run slower than the original hardware as emulators sometimes do when running on weaker hardware

Analogues stuff is very accurate too, not really more accurate than the best PC emulators but the stuff you get on limited systems like the PSP tends to cut corners

Yeah, it’s for us weirdos that notice these things. I wouldn’t recommend it for the average retro gamer.

I may just stick with my homebrewed 3DS though since GBA is the thing I’m most interested about on the Pocket and homebrewed 3DS can just run those game natively. It depends on how it’ll feel in hand.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Theres also the possibility that developers will port their MiSTer cores to its dedicated homebrew FPGA. Then it'd be a good way to play NES, SNES, TurboGrafx, Genesis, and if it's capable NeoGeo. Its just a possibility though, I wouldn't preorder it nine months before it comes out unless you really like what its capable of out of the box.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

hatty posted:

Theres also the possibility that developers will port their MiSTer cores to its dedicated homebrew FPGA. Then it'd be a good way to play NES, SNES, TurboGrafx, Genesis, and if it's capable NeoGeo. Its just a possibility though, I wouldn't preorder it nine months before it comes out unless you really like what its capable of out of the box.

Also the ability to load roms from an sd won’t come out of the box.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Also the ability to load roms from an sd won’t come out of the box.

Oh dear

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

That's true of all the Analogue stuff, the guy that writes the FPGA cores for those things secretly puts out another firmware that has the ROM loader under a psuedonym within a week

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I'm assuming this is also why they have this "synthesizer software" on-board that no one asked for, to have an actual plausible reason to put a mSD card slot into the thing.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Learn which of your friends own a raspberry pi

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Their on paper reason for the SD card slot is firmware updates. It's just that that jailbreaks come out in a firmware file format.

Also you're still covered under warranty if you jailbreak their products. Even if you brick it somehow.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gameboy has a big chiptune music scene that uses real Gameboy units. The synthesizer software is for that crowd.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

homeless snail posted:

That's true of all the Analogue stuff, the guy that writes the FPGA cores for those things secretly puts out another firmware that has the ROM loader under a psuedonym within a week

That’s good to hear. I guess that’s just legal stuff to cover their rear end.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Atooi Collection will go on sale at Limited Run Games in a little over 3 hours:

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/neo-frontpage/products/limited-run-1-atooi-collection-3ds

https://limitedrungames.com/collections/neo-frontpage/products/limited-run-1-atooi-collection-collectors-edition-3ds

Mutant Mudds, Mutant Mudds Super Challenge, Xeodrifter, Chicken Wiggle and Bomb Monkey on one NA-region card.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I found a 3ds headset with mic. What games utilized chat? Were there any? I'm confused about this item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Waltzing Along posted:

I found a 3ds headset with mic. What games utilized chat? Were there any? I'm confused about this item.

There were some games that had you blow onto the mic, and a few of the language training carts that would grade your pronunciation. I think some WarioWare mini games used it too.