Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

StashAugustine posted:

radio war nerd with thomas frank on anti-populism is a banger

I know there's a separate RWN thread but I finally signed up for the Patreon last month and whew that's a great pod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

mastershakeman posted:

Who's on top of the progressive stack of metal gears? Shagohad?

Obviously arsenal at the bottom

the mk. ii, duh

sleeptalker
Feb 17, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

Most Metal Gears are sitting in a hangar keeping their nukes dry 24/7/365 while Gekko are shoved out into the war economy.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

sleeptalker posted:

Most Metal Gears are sitting in a hangar keeping their nukes dry 24/7/365 while Gekko are shoved out into the war economy.

even REX got a better retirement: 10 or so years on an island to themselves, completely dry

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

RAY was designed to be woke, but eventually became saddled with conniptions such as "everyone has one" and "where the hell is the cockpit?! this thing's only remote!?"

it's EXCELSUS you're looking for: the Metal Gear-like that was never one because it doesn't have a nuke

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

another great trueanon, cth could learn a thing or two about podding imo

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

shrike82 posted:

lol, the latest CTH with Adam McKay has him praising the Sapiens book and the Hurt Locker movie.

Chapo has really been starfucking recently and it's concerning.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Is there a better movie about Iraq 2? If not, he’s right.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

imagine a three kings sequel where they're all decadent, lovely blackwater managers

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

i thought hurt locker was ok, but i watched it a decade ago

i dont get why every guest on chapo has to be perfect leftists or expecting like, matt to start screaming about how wrong they are to their face when they arent

Paffgen
Jul 13, 2009
the real answer to what's the best Iraq war movie is Hostel (or maybe Martyrs)

Retromancer
Aug 21, 2007

Every time I see Goatse, I think of Maureen. That's the last thing I saw. Before I blacked out. The sight of that man's anus.

Sheng-Ji Yang posted:

i thought hurt locker was ok, but i watched it a decade ago

i dont get why every guest on chapo has to be perfect leftists or expecting like, matt to start screaming about how wrong they are to their face when they arent

Matt literally just did a podcast dunking on the Hurt Locker like a week ago.

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

not really. the author goes on and on about anti-PMC discourse but doesn't link to any examples of what he's talking about. nor does he cite anything from the academic literature about the various attempts to characterize that strata of the class structure.

there are some good arguments for defining them as their own class, and good accounts of what that means politically. joepinetree already mentioned who i first person i thought of as giving such arguments and accounts: erik olin wright. both his take on the PMC and his take on ideology's relation to class position (and how it can be measured) seem to escape all the criticisms he raises.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

like the whole point of bringing up Hurt Locker was the dearth of good iraq 2 movies, and that it was the best they could think of, not exactly a ringing endorsement.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

not a movie but i remember Generation Kill being good

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Trabisnikof posted:

Is there a better movie about Iraq 2? If not, he’s right.

Starship Troopers 3: Marauder

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

i say swears online posted:

imagine a three kings sequel where they're all decadent, lovely blackwater managers

the Bad Boys 2 of Iraq movies

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
how come generation: kill never gets mentioned alongside iraq movies, or tv shows? I seem to recall it being good

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames
probably got memory-holed like most things that remind people of the horrible poo poo that happened in iraq

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

what was that hbo series about it? that was solid

Goast
Jul 23, 2011

by VideoGames

a fatguy baldspot posted:

what was that hbo series about it? that was solid

generation kill

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

MizPiz posted:

Starship Troopers 3: Marauder

lol, nice

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

i have recently discovered the "Alternate Podcasts" playlist sort feature of podcast addict and it is GOLD, JERRY

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Goast posted:

imagine saying this in person to a coworker or friend of a friend at a party or something

lmao

idk how many parties do you go to where your boss (or direct manager) is there? lol

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

i have recently discovered the "Alternate Podcasts" playlist sort feature of podcast addict and it is GOLD, JERRY

the b-sides of podcasts...

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Victory Position posted:

it's an overlay, like a transparency you put on an overhead

try overlaying it over some Twitter threads sometime

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lmao. chapo gave me an n-word pass, i did not know this

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

matt, thank you

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

i'm gonna say it

NOID

god what a load off the chest

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Well you guys won me over, first Patreon subscription and it's for RWN.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
it's kind of amazing what liberals convince themselves chapo is

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

They're so disingenuous that your only option is to make fun of them. Which was what happened when they claimed that "bend the knee" was a rape joke, because when people quoted the dril bit about being a corncob, they claimed that was about rape as well.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Are the news briefs from citations Needed generally good? I work retail and have like 5 hours of my day where I can listen to podcasts while working and I'm running out of material

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

i say swears online posted:

i'm gonna say it

NOID

god what a load off the chest

never forget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlUHJAo8_Lw

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Goast posted:

generation kill

It's weird how Generation Kill had literally zero cultural impact, it was genuinely really good and didn't feel terribly political either way.

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

didnt the mustache hairs guy end up being a pedophile or something

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Vitamin P posted:

It's weird how Generation Kill had literally zero cultural impact, it was genuinely really good and didn't feel terribly political either way.
Pretty much everyone I've recommended it to 1) loved it 2) had absolutely no idea it existed. Everyone knows about The Wire, but Generation Kill went by and hardly anyone noticed.

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
maybe we'll get a Generation Ill once this pandemic blows over

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

generation dril

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH