Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

McSpergin posted:

Nice! What's the material on the handles?

All the chef knives are various stabilized (some dyed) woods. The steak knife is acrylic.

I'll post the full stats (including specifics about the handle materials and where I got them) when I post the full finished knives. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!
From the top: a kit blade I made grip scales for from from black walnut from my great-grandpa's sawmill.

Bottom: one of these cheap machetes I cut down to a cruiser bow.

Middle two: a knife and a WIP blade made from the bit I cut off the machete.

I showed them to my father, who made a few knives from kits himself back in the day, and has always been a proponent of "always have a good knife on you, in case you have to carve out a civilization." He was very appreciative of them, and said "Now make me an ulu."

I think he mostly meant it as a joke challenge, but he's getting the middle one here as a Christmas present:

Found an ancient (well, older than me, at least, probably late '70s) seized-up 7.5" B&D circular saw in his shed, took the blade off and gave it an overnight bath in Evaporust (not sponsored, just a satisfied customer of sufficiently advanced technology), then cut the teeth off and cut the finger slots out of the center.

All have at least four coats of Danish oil, the handles I made for the the blades made from trash are made from whatever cutoffs happened to be the proper size and nearest the top of the scrap box (they live out in the boonies, so instead of a "gently caress it bucket" Mom has a largish cardboard box for wood scraps and a bin for trash that can't be burned at home, idea being you can just take the box of wood scraps and throw it on the burnin' pile when you get enough yard waste to justify a bonfire.*) I think the filet knife and the ulu are from the same bit of standard pine 1x ripped down for some project of mom's, she putters around in the shop when she's off work, Dad is old and feeble and retired for some time, so has put his puttering skills into gardening and Asian cuisine, hence asking me to make him a kitchen knife.

(*And yes, she does call the local authorities and warn them before lighting it.)

Edit: Should've included something for scale, but the ulu is about 5" or a bit less between points.These are not large knives. (Well, I guess one of the ones mentioned that spawned two of the others is, but you know.)

Chillbro Baggins fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Dec 24, 2019

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I finished the knives and gave them to my family for Christmas. They were totally floored. I was up until 3am the night before Christmas Eve finishing them, but got 'em done.

Hand-forged from 80crv2 and tempered at 375F (twice for 2 hours each time).

Left to right:
8 1/4" blade, stabilized redwood lace burl, 126g
8" blade, stabilized pink & blue dyed maple burl, 135g
7.5" blade, stabilized purple dyed maple fiddleback, 137g
7" blade, stabilized redwood lace burl, 93g
7" blade, stabilized green dyed curly mango, 107g

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Some good rear end knives in here

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

So I'm about to take a foray into making my first knives. A fellow Aus goon works at a blacksmith near Canberra, and has kindly sorted me out with 4x 1075 offcuts. All around 300mm long, in varying thicknesses and widths. It should be enough to make a couple steak knives and a few kitchen knives. Thanks to my woodworking and axe restoration project, I have a ton of timber offcuts I can use to make handles.

I'll keep you posted!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

McSpergin posted:

So I'm about to take a foray into making my first knives. A fellow Aus goon works at a blacksmith near Canberra, and has kindly sorted me out with 4x 1075 offcuts. All around 300mm long, in varying thicknesses and widths. It should be enough to make a couple steak knives and a few kitchen knives. Thanks to my woodworking and axe restoration project, I have a ton of timber offcuts I can use to make handles.

I'll keep you posted!

Awesome! I have found it to be a very addictive hobby that I'm constantly trying to learn more about. This upcoming weekend I'll be taking a 3-day class making a raindrop-pattern damascus chef knife, and will also have enough of a billet left over afterwards to make a second one at my home shop!

I'm really excited for all the things I'l be working on this year in knifemaking. :) A friend into jewelry-making is interesting in making mosaic pins to collaborate with me on knives, too!

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Kenshin posted:

A friend into jewelry-making is interesting in making mosaic pins to collaborate with me on knives, too!

Good friend imo

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I just had day 1 of my damascus chef knife class at Fire Horse Forge. We created our raindrop damascus billets today, each enough for two knives, though we'll only be forging one in the class. Tomorrow we'll forge out the knives and get them heat treated, Sunday we'll finish them.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

That sounds like a great course!

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Finished knife after a coffee etch (in addition to the initial acid etch)

52 layers of 1080 & 15n20 steel with a raindrop pattern
natural Ho wood (magnolia) & buffalo horn ferrule Wa-style handle (I didn't make the handle)
I did make the damascus billet (with a hydraulic press) and hand-forge and finish the knife
83g total weight

Done at class at Fire Horse Forge, Ballard, Seattle run by owner David Tuthill.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 14, 2020

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Kenshin posted:

Finished knife after a coffee etch (in addition to the initial acid etch)

52 layers of 1080 & 15n20 steel with a raindrop pattern
natural Ho wood (magnolia) & buffalo horn ferrule Wa-style handle (I didn't make the handle)
I did make the damascus billet (with a hydraulic press) and hand-forge and finish the knife
83g total weight

Done at class at Fire Horse Forge, Ballard, Seattle run by owner David Tuthill.

This absolutely owns and I'm excited for the day I get around to doing something similar

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I made another chef knife using the other half of that damascus billet, and I'm quite happy with it.

This one I did the handle on--this is the second hidden tang handle I've made. The first one was last week when I finished a filet knife for myself (maybe I'll show off pictures of it later, it's fine but I was mainly using it as a practice piece). Second damascus knife.

1080/15n20, 52 layer raindrop pattern damascus blade, brass bolster + g10 spacer + stabilized multi-dyed black ash burl handle

6.5"/16.5cm blade, 4.7oz/134g total weight

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 04:46 on May 18, 2020

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
^ Holy moly!

Everything about that is just :kiss:

Or actually :discourse:

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

Kenshin posted:

I made another chef knife using the other half of that damascus billet, and I'm quite happy with it.

This one I did the handle on--this is the second integral handle I've made. The first one was last week when I finished a filet knife for myself (maybe I'll show off pictures of it later, it's fine but I was mainly using it as a practice piece). Second damascus knife.

1080/15n20, 52 layer raindrop pattern damascus blade, brass bolster + g10 spacer + stabilized multi-dyed black ash burl handle

I think I follow you on insta because that maker's mark looks familiar

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

McSpergin posted:

I think I follow you on insta because that maker's mark looks familiar

It's possible. @wing.on.wing

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005
Made a few more knives recently this is the one im most proud of.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

r00tn00b posted:

Made a few more knives recently this is the one im most proud of.

Nice job! Where'd you get the billet from? Looks like Damasteel or XHP?

r00tn00b
Apr 6, 2005

Kenshin posted:

Nice job! Where'd you get the billet from? Looks like Damasteel or XHP?

I made it myself...
edit - I also made the aluminium myself as well, well melted it down from cans and poured and shaped it.

r00tn00b fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 16, 2020

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

r00tn00b posted:

I made it myself...
edit - I also made the aluminium myself as well, well melted it down from cans and poured and shaped it.

Whoa, drat, it looked so tight and consistent I thought it looked like one of the Damasteel patterns I'd seen! Nice job on the Damascus then!

Which two steels?

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 17, 2020

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

r00tn00b posted:

I made it myself...

:gowron:

It's freaking amazing!

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan

Kenshin posted:

This one I did the handle on--this is the second hidden tang handle I've made. The first one was last week when I finished a filet knife for myself (maybe I'll show off pictures of it later, it's fine but I was mainly using it as a practice piece). Second damascus knife.

That is quite the pattern!

What do you use for your grinding? I just took the ABS intro to bladesmithing course last month, so now I'm trying to upgrade my piddly blacksmith setup for knife work.

I have a bunch of ugly rear end pictures of a bunch of ugly rear end knives to post, but not tonight

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

BLARGHLE posted:

That is quite the pattern!

What do you use for your grinding? I just took the ABS intro to bladesmithing course last month, so now I'm trying to upgrade my piddly blacksmith setup for knife work.

I have a bunch of ugly rear end pictures of a bunch of ugly rear end knives to post, but not tonight
I have a 2x72 belt grinder made by Origin Blade Maker out of Oregon at the shop at my friend's house.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Kenshin posted:

I have a 2x72 belt grinder made by Origin Blade Maker out of Oregon at the shop at my friend's house.

Ah.

That's the same one we used in class, and on the cheaper end of 2x72 grinders, so that's probably what I'll be getting

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan
Some stuff from the ABS class-

Rope cut

Didn't get any pictures of the actual 2x4 hacking, but we hacked a bunch of 2x4s

They all survived the bend test

Ugly roughed out handle on an ugly chef knife

Less ugly, but still certainly not pretty. Desperately in need of some sanding, but sharp as gently caress

We had one 19 year old kid in the class who was wildly talented and had been making his own stuff in the most primitive/free setting possible for a couple of years. His knives are immediately above my french chef approximation/abomination at the bottom of the picture, and the instructor's (Scott McGhee of Guinea Hog Forge) is the black handled one right above his work. I would have to go find his name, but I have a feeling we'll be seeing a lot more of him in the coming years.

BLARGHLE fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jul 18, 2020

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

BLARGHLE posted:

Let me know if you can see the pics or not, because I can never see them in my own posts when I use imgur. Sometimes they show up, sometimes they don't!

The images aren't loading because you are linking to an imgur page rather than to the actual image. After uploading an image, you have to click on it and click share links and then click bbcode link and then copy that link. or, right click the image and copy the URL of the image.

For example, you posted
code:
[timg]https://imgur.com/b2a6o54[/timg]
but what you wanted was
code:
[timg]https://i.imgur.com/b2a6o54.jpg[/img]
the missing bits are the "i" at the front, and the file type at the back, if you ever want to form the URL manually.

Note that in addition to using the timg tag, imgur provides several scaled image sizes you can use instead. You get them by adding a letter to the end of the file name, before the extension. I know at least s=small, m=medium, l=large, and h=huge work, not sure if there's more.
code:
[img]https://i.imgur.com/b2a6o54m.jpg[/img]
gets you

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Leperflesh posted:

The images aren't loading because you are linking to an imgur page rather than to the actual image. After uploading an image, you have to click on it and click share links and then click bbcode link and then copy that link. or, right click the image and copy the URL of the image.

For example, you posted
code:
[timg]https://imgur.com/b2a6o54[/timg]
but what you wanted was
code:
[timg]https://i.imgur.com/b2a6o54.jpg[/img]
the missing bits are the "i" at the front, and the file type at the back, if you ever want to form the URL manually.

Note that in addition to using the timg tag, imgur provides several scaled image sizes you can use instead. You get them by adding a letter to the end of the file name, before the extension. I know at least s=small, m=medium, l=large, and h=huge work, not sure if there's more.
code:
[timg]https://i.imgur.com/b2a6o54m.jpg[/timg]
gets you

Thank you very much! I will go back and edit my post to fix that

In the past people have just been like "use imgur dipshit," which has been supremely unhelpful.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008
Man, that is cool as hell! Thank you for sharing.

The last picture, does that pinky-ring knife style have a name or specific purpose? Been thinking about getting a garden knife and that looks ideal, if I can find a way to carry it around without sticking myself.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

TheNothingNew posted:

Man, that is cool as hell! Thank you for sharing.

The last picture, does that pinky-ring knife style have a name or specific purpose? Been thinking about getting a garden knife and that looks ideal, if I can find a way to carry it around without sticking myself.

Looks sort of like a karambit.

They are Filipino fighting knives but were originally farmer's knives, agricultural tools. You can hold it either with your index finger through the ring or your pinky--the normal grip is with the index finger through it. Holding it like that you can see how useful it is to cut plants (as well as what a deadly fighting knife it is)

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

Kenshin posted:

Looks sort of like a karambit.

They are Filipino fighting knives but were originally farmer's knives, agricultural tools. You can hold it either with your index finger through the ring or your pinky--the normal grip is with the index finger through it. Holding it like that you can see how useful it is to cut plants (as well as what a deadly fighting knife it is)

It does, doesn't it? Karambits only register as weapons in my head, so I wasn't making that connection. Thanks.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

TheNothingNew posted:

It does, doesn't it? Karambits only register as weapons in my head, so I wasn't making that connection. Thanks.

The tiny twisty one next to the dagger? I don't remember exactly what the kid called it, but he was trying to base it on some historical european/mediterranean design, rather than the karambit. It was for his girlfriend to use in the garden, if I recall correctly.

TheNothingNew
Nov 10, 2008

BLARGHLE posted:

The tiny twisty one next to the dagger? I don't remember exactly what the kid called it, but he was trying to base it on some historical european/mediterranean design, rather than the karambit. It was for his girlfriend to use in the garden, if I recall correctly.

Yeah, that's the one.
Ah! Knowing where it came from/what it's used for got me "boline". But possibly a historical style, not the crescent moon not-actually-usable-as-a-knife ritual blade.
Thanks!

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

TheNothingNew posted:

Yeah, that's the one.
Ah! Knowing where it came from/what it's used for got me "boline". But possibly a historical style, not the crescent moon not-actually-usable-as-a-knife ritual blade.
Thanks!

I honestly have no idea. He showed me a picture of what he was working towards, and it looked more or less like what he ended up with. It had a tighter coil in the handle, but was otherwise basically what you see above.

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

After a couple months of scrimping and saving I finally got the cash together for a belt grinder :D which means now I can finally get to knife making!

I went with an 84 Engineering 2x48 on the recommendation of Zubraman on here, who works at Tharwa Valley Forge in the ACT here in Australia. The seller does them with a few options, primarily with motors and VFD's but I got mine without motor and VFD and with a heavy pedestal stand. I know enough electricians that I can give them a bottle of booze to do the hookup for me and I can order in whichever motor and VFD I want

Linky

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
I've been experimenting with some forging at work on my breaks. I have access to acetylene torches there which is pretty nice.

This is made from a car suspension coil spring that my friend gave to me after he upgraded.

It measures about 10 1/2" long. I feel like I want to take up to an inch off of the blade length for proportions but everyone I ask says it looks good this long.
What do you guys think?

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
I'd agree with everyone you've shown it to: looks good to me!

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

McSpergin posted:

After a couple months of scrimping and saving I finally got the cash together for a belt grinder :D which means now I can finally get to knife making!

I went with an 84 Engineering 2x48 on the recommendation of Zubraman on here, who works at Tharwa Valley Forge in the ACT here in Australia. The seller does them with a few options, primarily with motors and VFD's but I got mine without motor and VFD and with a heavy pedestal stand. I know enough electricians that I can give them a bottle of booze to do the hookup for me and I can order in whichever motor and VFD I want

Linky

Looks nice, especially with the stand!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ziggy Smalls posted:

I've been experimenting with some forging at work on my breaks. I have access to acetylene torches there which is pretty nice.

This is made from a car suspension coil spring that my friend gave to me after he upgraded.

It measures about 10 1/2" long. I feel like I want to take up to an inch off of the blade length for proportions but everyone I ask says it looks good this long.
What do you guys think?

The proportions look ok, or actually if anything I'd have made the blade a bit longer and wider. Currently the handle dominates visually. How's the balance?

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan
I'm working on putting together a new, larger forge. My old one was a plaster/sand paint can body with a bernzomatic ts8000, which was entirely adequate for mokume gane, mild steel work, even some welding; but can't quite accommodate blade sized stuff, at least not as I was taught to make them.

Old forge with bricks. I'm not sure how many hours I ran it like this (over a year), but a longer than usual forging day forced me to rethink my setup!

Old forge without bricks. Had to adjust the brick setup a bit after a tiny fire was caused by the downdraft from the tilted bricks at the opening...

The first couple of mokume gane billets I made a few years ago. Not sure why I don't have pics of anything more recent? It's pretty easy to tell which one I stacked while wearing gloves, and which one I didn't. Not pretty welds by any means, but they were a start!

I'm going to be making a Tim Lively-style washtub forge. Appliance and plumbing problems have gotten in the way for the last few weeks, but hopefully my little brother and I will be able to adobe it up next weekend. Aside from digging it out of the ground (I have a tiny townhouse back yard, and my brother lives with his in-laws), "natural" kitty litter was the most accessible source of clay I could find. Cheaper than oil dry, oddly enough!

I also got a new anvil a few months back, although I haven't gotten around to finishing the stand yet. Aside from the ABS class, I haven't forged anything this year...

The hardy hole is kind of a mess, so I'm not sure what we're going to do about that yet. Other than that, it's supposed to be a passable anvil- 30kg, cast steel, may or may not have a hardened face, 1/4-1/2 of the price of the NC Tool anvils, depending on various factors (although if the NC Tool stuff had been as cheap in May as I'm seeing now, I may have just spent the extra $175 on one of those).

BLARGHLE fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Aug 14, 2020

McSpergin
Sep 10, 2013

BLARGHLE posted:

Looks nice, especially with the stand!

I worked out I can save $800 on it by getting the grinder body and stand as a kit, then buying a motor and VFD separately. I know enough electricians to get it done for the cost of a couple beers :D

I love the brand 84 Engineering too. it's a bloke from regional NSW here in Australia, he lost his buildings in the bushfires so has now rebuilt a better shed and done earthworks and such around his property to isolate said shed workshop from future bushfires. He's worth a follow on socials too, they're rebuilding bigger and better with CNC machines.

Also Alec Steele grinders are his grinders rebadged and running US spec motor and VFD 😎. Because of the Steele orders and time taken getting back on their feet, there's a waitlist as they do production runs of batches, so I'm on the list at the local distributor and was told about 3-6 weeks. Hoping sooner rather than later!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I've finally gone ahead and rented my own workshop space, which I'll get on September 7th. I went ahead and ordered a grinder for the space (since I don't want to remove my current grinder from my best friends' house where our forge is) and since we already have the Origin Blade Maker 2hp grinder with the VFD, I went ahead and ordered Origin Blade Maker's new rotating grinder with the same full kit.

I also just epoxied up a 9" chef knife to its bolster and handle today, I should be able to grind the handle to shape tomorrow at my friends' place and then finish hand sanding the handle this weekend. I'm gonna give it as a gift to the guy who runs the Mexican food truck a few blocks from my apartment because having delicious Mexican food whenever I need it during this whole pandemic poo poo has been a life saver. 80crv2 + aluminum bronze bolster, FR4 spacer, stabilized black ash burl handle (hidden tang).

I'll post pictures in a few days when I'm done with it.

Kenshin fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Aug 15, 2020