Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

the HELL is this?

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Clearly it's a spring-loaded dick-puncher, and it has apparently seen some action.

With or without the springy snake?

edit: not going to page snipe without the relevant picture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

https://imgur.com/gallery/KiRVH9h From this gallery.

There are a few we've seen before, and a few that I don't quite get/aren't quite funny. But also what looks like some fresh gold.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I really want to hear from the people that own those houses. Do they all drive jeeps?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ha ha, what?

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

4 Posts not just for bed's anymore

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Oh yes the Mildew Extravagance bath, a very good choice for everyone missing the feel and smell of wet rainforest under their feet.

Hispanic! At The Disco
Dec 25, 2011

I'm guessing this place belongs to a blind guy, he can't see out the front door, but his dog likes to look.

To be fair though, a lot of pics in that gallery could belong to a blind guy.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Proteus Jones posted:

Ha ha, what?

Is that...an electric resistance heater mounted next to the tub?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Bacon Taco posted:

Is that...an electric resistance heater mounted next to the tub?

it's a hot tub

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

I'm guessing this place belongs to a blind guy, he can't see out the front door, but his dog likes to look.

To be fair though, a lot of pics in that gallery could belong to a blind guy.

Hinges were on the wrong side, I'm betting.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

At least it gives visitors a friendly impression.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Ruflux posted:

I don't get it. Why did they waste space with that drawer instead of having a full length, if narrow cabinet? My parents house has one of those (although way less narrow than that) and it's pretty useful for storing oven trays and mittens and such.

e: Looking at the pic, pretty sure the small cabinet they have is closer to that other one next to the tiny one in width so yeah maybe it wouldn't be all that useful after all.

I assumed the taller thing beneath was a pull-out baking table (or whatever they're called in English) because I've seen those before. (Pull-out as in you just pull it all the way out and lay it on your kitchen counter or table for making dough.)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Every kid in the neighborhood would be ripping up and down that driveway all day on bikes, scooters, skateboards.

Install a basketball hoop above the garage and practice your shots on a 30 foot rim with a built in ball return.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Finally, grading around a foundation that will make a home inspector happy.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I think we saw the follow-up on that at some point, they ended up doing some sort of re-grade or alteration on the drives to make them work. It was still pretty lovely, just not 'crash your car' quality.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Judging by the trees, that is not a place that never gets ice

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Can we just appreciate the work of the concrete crew?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ashcans posted:

I think we saw the follow-up on that at some point, they ended up doing some sort of re-grade or alteration on the drives to make them work. It was still pretty lovely, just not 'crash your car' quality.

https://www.google.com/maps/@36.0876389,-94.2322219,3a,75y,334.73h,68.59t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s8RCszHs3m77AJjBeJSpt5w!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I like to imagine the grade continues inside the garage.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Renaissance Robot posted:

I like to imagine the grade continues inside the garage.

In the RE listing"
SUV owners only, no vehicles lower than X" or you will highside on the garage and need teeter-taughter

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

If that was California it wouldn’t be a problem since no one parks in their garage anyways

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

you're not parking in your driveway either. and if it's a development street parking longer than 8 hours is probably banned by the HOA.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Platystemon posted:

Can we just appreciate the work of the concrete crew?
Very low slump concrete.

Whoever owns those places like to brag how good their parking brake works.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Why would you not just make the garage at street level with the house above on a property like that?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Darchangel posted:

Why would you not just make the garage at street level with the house above on a property like that?

Because that's a lot of cut that needs to be hauled away, two retention walls that would need to be built, plus more landscaping and steps. And this is obviously a lovely cheap subdivison house built at the lowest possible cost by the lowest bidders.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Motronic posted:

Because that's a lot of cut that needs to be hauled away, two retention walls that would need to be built, plus more landscaping and steps. And this is obviously a lovely cheap subdivison house built at the lowest possible cost by the lowest bidders.

My in-laws sold their perfectly nice house for a new build of the same size, in the same kind of neighborhood, for another $100k. The lot they chose and had the house built on didn't work out, because the city inspector failed the foundation during construction.

Instead of walking, they chose a different lot! In a shocking twist, their new house has had a number of issues, ranging from a completely un-waterproofed tiled shower to the wrong sized interior doors.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Motronic posted:

Not to mention they couldn't use the sane cookie-cutter plans they used in every other house if they did that.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Motronic posted:

Or there’s something structural underground preventing a deeper cut without a big expense, due to blasting or whatever. My parents bought a lot with the intent of building closer to the street, but a site survey showed it was solid granite not far beneath the surface. We ended up with a horror driveway that caused more than one friend to park on the street and climb up the 3 flights of stairs to the front door.

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
I was thinking a car elevator to get you from street level to garage level.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Elviscat posted:

Not to mention they couldn't use the sane cookie-cutter plans they used in every other house if they did that.

That was my thought when I posted the question, honestly. I guess it was mostly rhetorical, because I knew the answer would always boil down to “cheapskate developers. “

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The solution shown on the streetview is by far the quickest and easiest, just relocate the footpath closer to the road formation, easing the grade. If you were really determined to change the house, bringing the garage floor level down by 0.5m or less would go a long way toward getting a usable grade but forcing package builders to change their designs radically usually introduces other problems. Cutting a bit further down at the earthworks stage would also be a fairly cheap solution but this of course requires people to actually plan, so is right out.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

Lol how do i survey

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Jaguars! posted:

The solution shown on the streetview is by far the quickest and easiest, just relocate the footpath closer to the road formation, easing the grade. If you were really determined to change the house, bringing the garage floor level down by 0.5m or less would go a long way toward getting a usable grade but forcing package builders to change their designs radically usually introduces other problems. Cutting a bit further down at the earthworks stage would also be a fairly cheap solution but this of course requires people to actually plan, so is right out.

One of my favorite architecture things, since I was a kid, is the garages buried in the earth, at street level, while the house sits on at least a story of dirt above, commonly seen in Seattle's older, steeper, neighborhoods Greenwood, Phinny Ridge, Queen Anne etc. They're all collapsing in on themselves now, and I refuse to draw a correlation between this and why you never see them in modern buildings.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Had my bathroom extractor fan replaced while replacing everything else in there and turns out that even if its built in moisture sensors actually worked, someone had filled the entire flue with expanding foam.

Best guess is maybe birds nested in it and instead of getting a ladder and putting a cover on the outside they just jammed a nozzle through and filled it.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

omg

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

BEHOLD, the beam that formerly held up the side of my house, the home inspector did not catch this.

You can see the original construction of concrete footer->beam->joists->floor

Don't rest untreated beams on concrete and assume they'll last 109 years, I guess.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

How many generations of spiders did you have to displace while removing that? And in this economy too, have you no pity?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I house half the drat spiders in the County under my Vinyl siding, ungrateful jerks don't even pay rent.

Not to mention the mice

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

By popular demand posted:

How many generations of spiders did you have to displace while removing that? And in this economy too, have you no pity?

lol if your grandma didn't send you under the enclosed deck to clean out leaves and trash every summer with just a pair of too-big gardening gloves and a plastic bag to stuff things into :v: No wonder I hate spiders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Youth Decay
Aug 18, 2015