Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Cleretic posted:

Also possible that he basically redrew his victory conditions after the fact and ended up with a job that he only took out of desperation, while the first guy is holding out for something he actually wants to do.

Gotta study hard in high school to go to college, you want to end up working at McDonald's?

loving buckle down in college, don't want to end up working at McDonald's.

I don't care there's no more jobs in your field, you think you're too good to work at McDonald's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

seiferguy posted:

LinkedIn is a loving cancer sometimes:
This is exactly how preachers formulate cautionary anecdotes on the spot. Wonder if there's a gene for this.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Captain Monkey posted:

Nothing happened between 1939-1945 or prior to 1919 that might change the context of that tweet. Right?

Nah, it was me not clicking through slash not being familiar with the person.

It's definitely an idiot

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Captain Monkey posted:

Nothing happened between 1939-1945 or prior to 1919 that might change the context of that tweet. Right?

Oh poo poo, I didn't even realize at first it was comparing a 20 year period to a 35 year one.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil

seiferguy posted:

FOURTH interview? How many interview rounds do these people except you to do? I've never heard of anything more than a second round! What is there that can be found out about the candidate during a fourth interview that hasn't already been covered during the first three interviews, unless it's how many hoops they're willing to jump through?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

"Stalin wasn't white"

https://twitter.com/HotTankie/status/1290024220836024320?s=20

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Cloacamazing! posted:

FOURTH interview? How many interview rounds do these people except you to do? I've never heard of anything more than a second round! What is there that can be found out about the candidate during a fourth interview that hasn't already been covered during the first three interviews, unless it's how many hoops they're willing to jump through?
I think they meant a fourth interview for a fourth job opening rather than the fourth round of interviews for a given job application. The (definitely totally real) anecdote is loving nightmarish because expecting people to submit well over a hundred job applications sounds like openly pining for hell on earth.

Elysiume has a new favorite as of 09:01 on Aug 3, 2020

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Elysiume posted:

I think they meant a fourth interview for a fourth job opening rather than the fourth round of interviews for a given job application. The (definitely totally real) anecdote is loving nightmarish because expecting people to submit well over a hundred job applications sounds like opening pining for hell on earth.

No, there are absolutely jobs that make people go through four rounds of interviews for the same job. Usually it just means people higher up want to meet every new hire before it's official so it's not so much an interview as making sure you don't poo poo yourself in public after they've already decided to give you the job, but there's places that will have still have multiple people interviewing for a single position up until the fourth interview.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

seiferguy posted:

There is of course never any mention of what the job actually is, what it pays, is it a contract, full or part time, etc.
Just "Person A was LAZY, but person B put in more EFFORT and that's why they have a JOB" because in those stories literally any job will solve all of your problems, if only you just tried harder.

The reality of job applications is more like this.

I live with a guy who fits "The 1st guy is still watching Netflix. “Trying” to find a new JOB" description they're going for - he's in a unique position to gently caress around a bit because he's in his mid 20's and his parents cover his rent. Before corona virus he had a job as a fire safety officer, checking extinguisher tags and smoke alarm fittings for audits, but it wasn't the kind of job he wanted so he quit before he had anything else lined up. That's when corona hit and so he hasn't been able to find something else long term, just getting odd jobs by contacting friends. The difference that having a support network of friends and family can make in situations like this is immense, a person without a job who can't pay rent might have a place to live if they have someone they can turn to, and it seems like a lot of people don't realise that applying for a job with no fixed address immediately turns off a lot of potential employers.

Nastyman
Jul 11, 2007

There they sit
at the foot of the mountain
Taking hits
of the sacred smoke
Fire rips at their lungs
Holy mountain take us away

Skwirl posted:

Gotta study hard in high school to go to college, you want to end up working at McDonald's?

loving buckle down in college, don't want to end up working at McDonald's.

I don't care there's no more jobs in your field, you think you're too good to work at McDonald's?

Good news, Everyone!

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
The gently caress are they paying a robot for? That one movie told me that robot means slave.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

TheMostFrench posted:

Before corona virus he had a job as a fire safety officer, checking extinguisher tags and smoke alarm fittings for audits, but it wasn't the kind of job he wanted so he quit before he had anything else lined up.

A) what sounds like a pretty fuckin easy job.

B) a job that actually involves caring about other people's safety rather than making Number Go Up.

Holy poo poo what sort of sociopath would quit this job unless it was a starvation-level wage.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Inspector 34 posted:

The gently caress are they paying a robot for? That one movie told me that robot means slave.

They aren't paying the robot, the company that makes it probably forces you to both buy the robot and pay a regular fee for maintenance.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

That thing seems like a giant waste of money since it can only do one small thing while a human is way more flexible

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

Skwirl posted:

They aren't paying the robot, the company that makes it probably forces you to both buy the robot and pay a regular fee for maintenance.

Thanks for clearing that up

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Andrast posted:

That thing seems like a giant waste of money since it can only do one small thing while a human is way more flexible

:capitalism:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

PurpleXVI posted:

A) what sounds like a pretty fuckin easy job.

B) a job that actually involves caring about other people's safety rather than making Number Go Up.

Holy poo poo what sort of sociopath would quit this job unless it was a starvation-level wage.

I'm a fire warden for a whole building that... isn't very good at fire safety, I can imagine that job being draining. Not necessarily on a daily basis, but I bet when your job involves telling businesspeople that they have to spend money to solve problems and make sure people don't die, you'd have more bad days than good ones even if there's a whole lot of neutral days.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Skwirl posted:

No, there are absolutely jobs that make people go through four rounds of interviews for the same job. Usually it just means people higher up want to meet every new hire before it's official so it's not so much an interview as making sure you don't poo poo yourself in public after they've already decided to give you the job, but there's places that will have still have multiple people interviewing for a single position up until the fourth interview.

Not exactly four interviews, but when I applied for my current job, I first had an interview with an HR rep, which focused on talking about me and my past experience. The next step was a programming test, then a technical interview/review of the test, and finally a short interview with the CEO. So four different steps, at different times.

If I had been working full time during this, the amount of times I'd need to find room in my schedule would've been pretty annoying. Thankfully (??) I was unemployed because my old company went bankrupt.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

That well known country not in the Caucasus mountains, Georgia.

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Cloacamazing! posted:

I was unemployed for a few months last year and multiple jobs I went for involved 3 or more interviews. Often one or more of these would involve me having to prepare a presentation. The one job I really wanted ended up being 5 interviews spread over three months. After the fifth they indicated it was down to me and one other person. I didn’t hear anything for over a month then was told they were eliminating the position. Then two weeks later the same position was reposted online.

Corporate America fucks with job seekers so bad. NEVER feel bad about negotiating for the highest salary/benefits possible if you’re ever in that position.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

https://twitter.com/dr_philippaw/status/1289853622667239425?s=21

(I mean, it’s transparently an attempt to curtail the weirdo pro-Salmond transphobic crank wing of the SNP and their leader, Joanna “trans anime characters scare me” Cherry, but because of that, I’m not really bothered.)

letthereberock
Sep 4, 2004

Quote != edit

Been a while since I’ve done that

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

TinTower posted:

Caucasia the clue is in the name

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

seiferguy posted:

According to my spreadsheet, I've submitted 11,528 job applications over the last 10 years, have had a little over 500 interviews, and have yet to find a full-time job. Where's my loving job, LinkedIn rear end in a top hat?

SneezeOfTheDecade has a new favorite as of 13:25 on Aug 3, 2020

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Just going to point out that John Boyne is the author of the very transphobic book My Brother's Name Is Jessica and when it was pointed out that his book was very transphobic he claimed he did lots and lots of research into trans issue before writing it, and he sued another author for calling him transphobic on Twitter.

As we can plainly see, he really does thorough research for his books.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

TinTower posted:

Georgians were, and to some degree still are, not considered to be "real Russians" and treated as ethnically and culturally 'other'; Russians themselves were frequently regarded as "not Europeans" but it was really up to how some European power at a given time viewed the political landscape. Given that whiteness is rooted in European colonial views, this is relevant.

This is an extremely poor glossing over of at least many hundreds of years of history but even Georgians will be the first to tell you they're not Russians so I think there's more than a bit of truth there. It's still kind of dumb to be gatekeeping Joseph loving Stalin in the year 2020, so I think the OP and who they're quoting are both idiots.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

TinTower posted:

https://twitter.com/dr_philippaw/status/1289853622667239425?s=21

(I mean, it’s transparently an attempt to curtail the weirdo pro-Salmond transphobic crank wing of the SNP and their leader, Joanna “trans anime characters scare me” Cherry, but because of that, I’m not really bothered.)

What?

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I haven't worked at a burger place in a long time but when I did you would put the burger on the grill and then lower a top part so both sides got cooked at the same time. We've already put Flippy out of a job.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

The best part about this is how far away l and r are on a keyboard.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1290267685117460481?s=20

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I agree, it's not clear what you were saying.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

So, in the Scottish National Party right now, there's a pronounced split between the people who want a Unilateral Declaration of Independence and those who want a (second) referendum to legitimise independence. The current First Minister of Scotland, Nicola Sturgeon, is in that second camp, but it's rumoured that she wants to step down in the next few years, so there's a proxy battle for succeeding her.

The SNP is also rather split on whether the women who accused former SNP leader Alex Salmond of rape were lying as some sort of unionist plot, and also on the matter of whether trans people should be considered human or not. Weirdly, the dividing lines are very close to one another, hence this tweet:

https://twitter.com/sineadactually/status/1200584271301353472

The UDI camp are coalescing around the party's justice spokeswoman, Joanna Cherry, who thread regulars will remember as the woman who complained in parliament about Lily from Zombieland Saga telling her to "shut the gently caress up, TERF".

The SNP's executive committee ruled over the weekend that current MPs who want to be selected for election to the Scottish Parliament next year have to resign as MPs to do so. Cherry had wanted to contest the constituency of Edinburgh Central, but so had former MP and Sturgeon's rumoured preferred successor, Angus Robertson. This change in the rules was clearly an attempt to derail Cherry's leadership bid, but I don't particularly care that it is because she's a horrible TERF.

That said, you don't need all that context to realise that someone complaining about being "trapped" in a job that a) puts you in the 95th percentile of earners and b) is guaranteed for the next four years deserves nothing but a solo on the world's smallest violin.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Andrast posted:

it is a waste of money, that company has been shopping the robot around for years now trying to find a buyer and leans pretty hard on vacant tech boosterism media to publish glowing articles about it every few months

fast food thrives on automation. if this thing hasn't been popularly adopted then it has some kind of critical flaw. for example, you can't make your burger flipping robot go sweep the parking lot when business is slow. or burgers aren't often cooked on an open griddle since you can cook them faster in a specialized press griddle, and if you do have an open griddle it's so you can cook different kinds of things on it that the burger flipping robot probably isn't programmed to handle (think like hash browns)

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Also they found customers prefer human workers as robots cannot have thier spirit broken when they complain incessantly.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Hihohe posted:

Also they found customers prefer human workers as robots cannot have thier spirit broken when they complain incessantly.

I'm sure that some day we'll invent a robot that can.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.

Elysiume posted:

I think they meant a fourth interview for a fourth job opening rather than the fourth round of interviews for a given job application. The (definitely totally real) anecdote is loving nightmarish because expecting people to submit well over a hundred job applications sounds like openly pining for hell on earth.

lmao once i had 3 interviews to get hired to do minimum wage retail

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

HiroProtagonist posted:

Georgians were, and to some degree still are, not considered to be "real Russians" and treated as ethnically and culturally 'other'; Russians themselves were frequently regarded as "not Europeans" but it was really up to how some European power at a given time viewed the political landscape. Given that whiteness is rooted in European colonial views, this is relevant.

This is an extremely poor glossing over of at least many hundreds of years of history but even Georgians will be the first to tell you they're not Russians so I think there's more than a bit of truth there. It's still kind of dumb to be gatekeeping Joseph loving Stalin in the year 2020, so I think the OP and who they're quoting are both idiots.

I’d actually postulate that georgians only count as white because of Joseph Stalin and his incorporation of those in the soviet union. They’re way closer culturally to Armenia and Azerbaijan

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Elysiume posted:

You may not like to hear how many applications I made. Then again, I was out of work for a stupidly long time.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

goblin week posted:

I’d actually postulate that georgians only count as white because of Joseph Stalin and his incorporation of those in the soviet union. They’re way closer culturally to Armenia and Azerbaijan

When I was in Lviv last year it seemed like every other restaurant on the street that our hosts took us to was a Georgian restaurant. It seems to be "exotic" like Mexican joints are here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
I think that’s a pretty apt comparison!
Georgian cuisine is awesome btw.