Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Sony has a Spider-Man game coming this year as the big launch title for their new console so yeah, they're taking the opportunity to reinforce the Spider-Man brand along with the Playstation brand.

It's not THAT dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

i cant see spidey staying on playstation. hes such a big selling point for the game, with his own special event and everything, it just sounds absurd

i imagine whats really going to happen is spidey is a timed exclusive and will come out elsewhere later on, but the ps4 spidey outfit specifically will be exclusive to ps4 permanently

if i cant play as spidey on pc im probably just not going to buy the game. i have a ps4 but this is a multiplayer-focused game and im not going to loving pay a subscription to play online when its free to do it on pc. so if they're gonna ask me to do that im just gonna skip the game. which sucks because it looks cool and spidey was my #1 pick for an extra hero

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
I just hope the single player stuff is worth a drat because I have zero desire to play online.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I’m the opposite. I just want to get into super hero shenanigans with people online, and show off our outfits. I need something to fill the Marvel Heroes sizes hole in my heart.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
After a long day at work I just like to chill and take my time with games while listening to podcasts and surfing the web. Soo team based stuff doesn't really work for me.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Lurdiak posted:

And Sony being a lovely company that spearheaded the entire concept of anti-consumer exclusivity, which paid off for them repeatedly.

Someone wasn't around for the 360 era.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Is it gonna be the same Spidey from the PS4 games?

It doesn't seem like it from what they say in the article.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

If it's anti consumer and it's video games, Nintendo invented it.

Darn kids.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

The Xbox and PC versions should get Bonesaw as an exclusive character.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

JT Smiley posted:

After a long day at work I just like to chill and take my time with games while listening to podcasts and surfing the web. Soo team based stuff doesn't really work for me.

this.

MP can occasionally be fun if it's coop with a bunch of people I already know, but even that is asking a lot of my energy and attention levels these days

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

All the online content they've shown off so far can be done with AI controlled team-mates that operate as stand-ins for the other characters you have. There's larger stuff that you have to play with other people, but I can't imagine it'll be much more than a few raid-type content.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Ars sure isn't impressed with the Avengers game.

quote:

As a tone-setting mission, this battle in San Francisco runs on PS4 Pro at a consistent 30fps refresh while serving up a delectable variety of explosive effects and detailed characters. Really, the whole thing looks much better than prior reveals—especially the titular heroes' faces, which no longer look like stunt doubles from the real-life Avengers films. But having actual control of this mission reveals a sluggishness to nearly every character's attacks. Black Widow's fisticuffs are the closest thing this game has to "snappy," with everyone else feeling like they've been hit by a ray of Kryptonite (yep, I'm conflating my comics-publisher canon on purpose there).

Worse, even Black Widow, a supposed sharpshooter, suffers from a gross mix of button-press lag and jerky-aim recoil whenever she uses a ranged attack, and the same can be said for every other hero. Hulk's ranged attack is a great example of how badly Crystal Dynamics handles this aspect of combat. Hulk must go through an animation of scooping debris from the ground and wadding it into a ball before he can begin throwing. Then, he has an additional animation cycle to actually throw the thing. Worst of all, the apparent size of that ranged attack is pea-sized, requiring precision to strike your distant target, and its visual and audio impact is piddly. Some of those issues could be tradeoffs in the right mix, like slow-but-powerful or quick-and-wimpy, but as of press time, the beta's ranged attacks all feel unwieldy, weak, and ho-hum.

After the climactic, polished opening mission completes, the beta fast forwards later in the game's plot. Long story short: The Avengers disappointed humanity and disbanded, but Ms. Marvel and Hulk have teamed up to get the band back together. These crafted missions lose some of the intro's momentum, as they lead players into generic jungle environments and shiny-metal bad-guy compounds. The Golden Gate intro's sense of place is utterly lost, and you're left pummeling uninspiring intro-sequence soldiers while grappling with a frustratingly tight camera angle in cramped interiors.

Though this game tries to combine a brawler with an ARPG formula, Marvel's Avengers bails on a core principle of both of those genres: careful camera consideration. Keeping track of every surrounding foe in a Marvel's Avengers brawl, while fighting alongside three allies, is an exercise in exhaustion and frustration. Crystal Dynamics tries, but fails, to help matters by filling the screen's periphery with "hey over there!" warning icons of various colors and shapes. I couldn't help but think back to my favorite Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 memories on Xbox 360, where four people could sit on the same couch and pummel wave after wave of baddies as aided by a fixed, easy-to-see camera angle. I just wanted to go back to that game. (The new Marvel's Avengers, I should point out, does not currently support split-screen co-op. You'll need to join friends online.)

Once you've gotten through the beta's narrative core, you're led to a series of side missions that usually end in a series of repetitive research-laboratory corridors. Some of these begin with you running through a semi-open expanse of some sort: a wooded military outpost in the Pacific Northwest, or a building-filled facsimile of New York City, or, in the worst case, a generic, low-polygon expanse of snowy hills. But in the beta, they pretty much all end in a lab of some sort, and they each end with a few cookie-cutter mission types: kill everyone in sight, stand near a labeled zone until a meter charges, or both.

These zones include loot-filled chests that are either tucked into winding tunnels or sprinkled above your head—and, gosh, the missions' networks of floating "I guess we should jump up there" platforms look positively ridiculous. They're not helped by the laggy, jump-between-platforms controls of most heroes; if you're not using Iron Man's jetpack, Black Widow's grappling hook, or Ms. Marvel's stretchy arms, then get ready for frustration. Either way, the regularity of this "trudge through barren lands to find hidden chests" stuff is a momentum-slamming bummer, as if Crystal Dynamics was told to pad its hum-drum missions out with something, anything.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Sounds like they made a much worse Marvel Heroes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I know they already hosed up making a new Marvel Ultimate Alliance, but god drat if the current X-Men status quo wouldn't be absolutely perfect for a new X-Men Legends.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Avengers beta seems pretty cool? Still quite rough, but Jennifer Hale voices Maria Hill and Goose gets a mention.

Photographer mode is a little bare. Animations seem way meatier. Some of the combat could be tighter, particular Iron Man, but he as so many options some of the standard abilities feel almost superfluous.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/RocksteadyGames/status/1291720790447136768?s=20

It's been five years and you just drop it like this?!

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

There's been some pretty strong rumours for a while that the first concrete information was coming at FanDome, I'm real curious to see what that game looks like, given that the idea is meant to be a GaaS type deal, where your objectives are to kill Superman, etc.

Seems like it could be either insanely cool, or really terrible.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Dan Didio posted:

There's been some pretty strong rumours for a while that the first concrete information was coming at FanDome, I'm real curious to see what that game looks like, given that the idea is meant to be a GaaS type deal, where your objectives are to kill Superman, etc.

Seems like it could be either insanely cool, or really terrible.

GaaS? Generally Accepted Auditing Standards? I guess if you're Luthor's accountant killing Superman is probably at the top of the expenses reports.

EDIT: Games as a Service. Right. I keep forgetting that's a "thing"

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

CzarChasm posted:

GaaS? Generally Accepted Auditing Standards? I guess if you're Luthor's accountant killing Superman is probably at the top of the expenses reports.

EDIT: Games as a Service. Right. I keep forgetting that's a "thing"

Sorry, it's a silly acronym (?) but it's the one I see people using all the time.

Playing more of the Avengers Beta, I am really liking what they're doing with this game. Combat feels very thoughtful, which I didn't expect.

One thing they do which I really like is that during boss battles, etc. your powers become sort of contextualised. So Hulk's charge, pick up and slam move becomes a unique grab animation when used against Abomination.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Aug 7, 2020

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rocksteady heard the people excited to play as Superman and the Flash and Wonder Woman and NOW you can play as:

Harley Quinn, Deadshot, and El Diablo.

https://twitter.com/Prince__Kratos/status/1291732999290138624

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I better be able to play as Slipknot, the man who can climb anything.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Maybe Suicide Squad is like Dead by Daylight, where you're playing as the Suicide Squad and just trying to survive as Superman/Flash/Green Lantern/Wonder Woman casually knock you around and put you in prison.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

Ironically it will be like Pokemon where you can't step over a small bush and he will be nowhere to be found but his lack of presence often lamented.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Endless Mike posted:

We already did in Assassin's Creed Origins.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Endless Mike posted:

I wouldn’t recommend not playing as Katana.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Honestly "You are a crappy regular person with a gun who has to figure out a way to beat Superman" sounds like it could make for a fun game if done right

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What’s Gotham Knights?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

What’s Gotham Knights?

That's the rumored name for the Court of Owls thing that the team that did Arkham Origins is doing.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Aphrodite posted:

What’s Gotham Knights?

Their football team.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Aphrodite posted:

What’s Gotham Knights?

The name they gave the Batfamily team during Rebirth

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly "You are a crappy regular person with a gun who has to figure out a way to beat Superman" sounds like it could make for a fun game if done right

Like a reverse Hitman scenario.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dan Didio posted:

Like a reverse Hitman scenario.

Yeah that is honestly what I was thinking of. You're given the task of taking down (x) and have to figure out how to manipulate things enough to actually do so.

Like yeah Deadshot can shoot a kryptonite bullet but Superman is literally faster than bullets so you need a way to distract him first but without causing enough trouble that multiple heroes come or Waller gets pissed..

They could even have fun with it and be like "you need to figure out how to exploit this can of yellow spray paint to kill Green Lantern" or whatever.

It probably won't be that but I like the idea of Hitman where the target is absolutely not someone you could just walk up and shoot.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Assuming that we will have an actual playable squad for this game, does this sound like a good list for it, let's assume 7 members, not counting Waller and Flagg.

King Shark, Count Vertigo, Bronze Tiger, Captain Boomerang, Deadshot, Harley Quinn (I would like someone else, but I assume she is going to be in the game.) Then we need a more fodder member how about Copperhead.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I don't want to play a game where I kill Superman though. He's Superman. Not even an evil version.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Assuming that we will have an actual playable squad for this game, does this sound like a good list for it, let's assume 7 members, not counting Waller and Flagg.

King Shark, Count Vertigo, , Captain Boomerang, Deadshot, Harley Quinn (I would like someone else, but I assume she is going to be in the game.) Then we need a more fodder member how about Copperhead.

I assume Katana just because it'd be really lovely to only have one woman, and double lovely if the only woman in the game is dressed the way I assume Harley Quinn would be dressed.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

The leaked list is in that tweet I posted.

Deadshot, Harley, Captain Boomerang, El Diablo, King Shark, Cheetah, and Enchantress.

Going in hard on the cast from the movie, which everyone makes fun of now. Rocksteady striking while the iron isn't even out.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Let Ron Funches voice King Shark you absolute cowards

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Codependent Poster posted:

The leaked list is in that tweet I posted.

Deadshot, Harley, Captain Boomerang, El Diablo, King Shark, Cheetah, and Enchantress.

Going in hard on the cast from the movie, which everyone makes fun of now. Rocksteady striking while the iron isn't even out.

I would swap Diablo with Vertigo, Katana or Copper.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

This is Katana, I’d advise not buying her DLC, her microtransactions trap the souls of their owners.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I don't want to play a game where I kill Superman though. He's Superman. Not even an evil version.

We don't know that. Could be an Injustice type deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

As someone on Twitter pointed out, if you look closely at the eyes of the Superman in that image you can see cracks around the skin.

Either Superman is getting some Kryptonian crows feet, or that’s a Bizzaro.

Also seeing this game reminds me that they planted the seed for this game in a post credit sequence for Arkham Origins of all places.