Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I made ferrofluid at work today!
Well, the machine made ferrofluid at work today
https://i.imgur.com/2oNV6qo.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Thanks for clarifying, I was going to recommend you see a doctor.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Seems like they should just divert the ice shavings to land on top of the engine. That could melt them and provide the water for the resurfacing.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wesleywillis posted:

Seems like they should just divert the ice shavings to land on top of the engine. That could melt them and provide the water for the resurfacing.

Better slap a biohazard label on that bad boy then. Players spit and bleed and sweat all over that sheet of ice, you really want to glaze your engine with that stew?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

Making ferrofluid on purpose: wrong thread.
Making ferrofluid by accident: right thread.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
The machine in question is not intended to convert bearings and lubricating oil into ferrofluid

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Any machine is a ferrofluid making machine if you operate it wrongly enough

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

kastein posted:

Any machine is a ferrofluid making machine if you operate it wrongly enough

Ferrofluid is the real "grey goo" people were worried about.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

LifeSunDeath posted:

Ferrofluid is the real "grey goo" people were worried about.

Uh-oh

EvenWorseOpinions fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Aug 1, 2020

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

xzzy posted:

Better slap a biohazard label on that bad boy then. Players spit and bleed and sweat all over that sheet of ice, you really want to glaze your engine with that stew?

Look at this guy who doesn't work on his own cars. I mean...I don't spit on mine, but 2 out of 3 is close enough.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
I have definitely used spit on a soft fuel line to get it over the end of a flared pipe end on a cold day

It was my car, it was a piece of poo poo anyway and no one was watching.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Memento posted:

I have definitely used spit on a soft fuel line to get it over the end of a flared pipe end on a cold day

If it doesn't work by swearing at it you always try spitting as the next step. Never the other way around.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

Memento posted:

there’s a NAPA product for this called Sylglide or Glidasil or something. it’s supposedly even safe for fuel lines. I have a tube of it in my lube box.

not sure when I last used it; I just spit on it

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Memento posted:

:pervert:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

snugglz posted:

there’s a NAPA product for this called Sylglide or Glidasil or something. it’s supposedly even safe for fuel lines. I have a tube of it in my lube box.

Horrible Mechanical(?) Failures: not sure when I last used it; I just spit on it

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

snugglz posted:

Syl glide is the best brake caliper lube.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

wesleywillis posted:

Syl glide is the best brake caliper lube.

also good for putting bmw control arms bushings on the control arm

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

snugglz posted:

I have a tube of it in my lube box.

:pervert:

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

wesleywillis posted:

If it doesn't work by swearing at it you always try spitting as the next step. Never the other way around.

This assumes I'm not swearing at it on a regular basis.

chrisgt
Sep 6, 2011

:getin:

rndmnmbr posted:

This assumes I'm not swearing at it on a regular basis.

I start swearing before as i drive it into the garage, and don't stop until it drives out.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

MrYenko posted:

:eng101:

The original Zamboni prototype, and all production models until the HD series starting in 1964 were modified Willys Jeep chassis and running gear.

I have literally no idea why I know this. I don’t skate. I’ve never skated. I grew up and live in a place where water doesn’t freeze outside.

:shrug:

Yup! I figured it wasn't that old though because all the OGs have rusted to poo poo.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

MrYenko posted:

:eng101:

The original Zamboni prototype, and all production models until the HD series starting in 1964 were modified Willys Jeep chassis and running gear.

I have literally no idea why I know this. I don’t skate. I’ve never skated. I grew up and live in a place where water doesn’t freeze outside.

:shrug:

Dude, I'm in Dallas, TX, and we have Zambonis. Because we stole Ontario's hockey team.
Also, at least one mall features an ice rink.

chrisgt posted:

I start swearing before as i drive it into the garage, and don't stop until it drives out.

Pretty sure my neighbors think I am an angry crazy man, because I don't have room for the car in the garage, so I swear at it (loudly) in the driveway.
'Course then they come out and see the hood up and understand.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

I think I found the clunking coming from the back of my Outback. I figured it had water in it cause in the winter it stopped moving all together. It was so bad that the spring was rubbing on the inner wheel well.

https://streamable.com/j27tll

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Jesus. I get a loud clunk from the center of my Outback when I put it in reverse, but there's also a concerning amount of rotational play in the driveshaft. Nothing lateral though. And the joints at each end are solid.

Darchangel posted:

Dude, I'm in Dallas, TX
Also, at least one mall features an ice rink.

You're on the Ft Worth side, therefore NO, you are NOT in Dallas, sir! :colbert:

But seriously, 2 malls. Galleria and whatever the one in Frisco is.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

We all know both sides of DFW are indistinguishable thanks to the sheer number of home depots

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

STR posted:

Jesus. I get a loud clunk from the center of my Outback when I put it in reverse, but there's also a concerning amount of rotational play in the driveshaft. Nothing lateral though. And the joints at each end are solid.

Does your car have a driveshaft center support?

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
How does I balance tire?

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017

PitViper posted:

How does I balance tire?

Like this

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

STR posted:

You're on the Ft Worth side, therefore NO, you are NOT in Dallas, sir! :colbert:

But seriously, 2 malls. Galleria and whatever the one in Frisco is.

SIR, I will have you know that I can WALK into Dallas county from my home. And (almost) see DFW airport.
But fine - the ice rink at Tandy Center. Now what? Oh, wait, that's defunct now, isn't it?
Frisco: Firewheel?

taqueso posted:

We all know both sides of DFW are indistinguishable thanks to the sheer number of home depots

Fort Worth is a little less posh and cheaper, generally speaking, but... yeah.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

PitViper posted:

How does I balance tire?

I had a customer bring their car back once complaining that we had tampered with their wheels because there were some bright patches on the inside of the rim. They were where we took off the old wheel weights so we could balance it.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
It kills me when someone brings me a car, and complains that another tire shop "could never get them balanced right". Then I pull it in, yank off about a pound and a half of weights stuck on all over the wheel, and put maybe an ounce and a half back on. It's also the one thing that newbies do that all the old timers will chew their rear end for. If you're rebalancing it, don't just add weights where it tells you, see where the old weights are first! You're better off stripping the old weights and starting from scratch most of the time.

That one ended up being the heavy wheel.of the pair, about 2oz to balance it out. I could have checked the match of the tire/wheel, but it's not worth it for $85 tires on an old Escape.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Literally the first thing they taught me as a dumb tire monkey at a chain shop was "scrape/pry all the old onese off first"

do... people not know this? :stare:

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

MRC48B posted:

Literally the first thing they taught me as a dumb tire monkey at a chain shop was "scrape/pry all the old onese off first"

do... people not know this? :stare:

There are people turning wrenches out there who don’t know that you’re supposed to drain the old oil out before you add new oil.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Needed to pump up my tires on the motorbike while at my mom's place, so I grabbed the one the garage with the fancy digital pressure gauge.

Motor came on, gauge worked, light worked, no air coming out. She found the spare one with the wildly inaccurate pressure gauge and that was fine. She was going to throw out the broken one but I wanted to take it apart to see if it was fixable.

Open it up, and immediate problem was that the conrod for the piston fell off the crank pin. Put that back on and rotated the crank by finger a few times and I could see that it was unseating itself from the crank pin after a couple of cycles, so it would likely have come off if I'd actually plugged it in.

Took the piston out to have a look, and half the metal from the conrod where it mates to the crank pin was gone.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Darchangel posted:

SIR, I will have you know that I can WALK into Dallas county from my home. And (almost) see DFW airport.
But fine - the ice rink at Tandy Center. Now what? Oh, wait, that's defunct now, isn't it?
Frisco: Firewheel?

Yeah, Firewheel.

Tandy Center... holy poo poo that takes me back. I never actually got to go there when it was open, but when Radio Shack moved their corporate campus out of the towers, I was a contractor for an IT company that helped move all the PCs - so I got to see it long after it'd been shut down. They still had a couple of concept stores in the center, though.

Got to see the CEO's office, complete with his own private elevator, full bathroom, bar, etc. That was a trip. Those towers were a serious time capsule, and the higher you got on the floors, the more 70s spending spree it got. Crystal chandeliers, gold plated everything, etc on the top floor.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 4, 2020

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

The parks in Arlington had an ice rink like a decade ago. Dunno if its still going though.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Elmnt80 posted:

The parks in Arlington had an ice rink like a decade ago. Dunno if its still going though.

It's still there

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Elmnt80 posted:

poo poo, I forgot about that one. I lived in Arlington attending UTA while that mall was being built. It was amazing when it was new, and malls were still a thing. And I was a 20-something that didn’t yet hate malls and people.

STR posted:

Yeah, Firewheel.

Tandy Center... holy poo poo that takes me back. I never actually got to go there when it was open, but when Radio Shack moved their corporate campus out of the towers, I was a contractor for an IT company that helped move all the PCs - so I got to see it long after it'd been shut down. They still had a couple of concept stores in the center, though.

Got to see the CEO's office, complete with his own private elevator, full bathroom, bar, etc. That was a trip. Those towers were a serious time capsule, and the higher you got on the floors, the more 70s spending spree it got. Crystal chandeliers, gold plated everything, etc on the top floor.

And with what they spent there, and at the new headquarters campus (while struggling!) they wonder why they went bankrupt. Tandy we’re collectively idiots. Full disclosure: I worked for them, at Computer City. Defected to CompUSA ASAP.
I do miss Radio Shack. The old one, not the me too reseller they became.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah even way back then, I was wondering how the gently caress they were justifying such a MASSIVE campus that you needed literal maps to get around in. And yet, aside from the foyers (which were lined with restaurants, little convenience stores, and of course a few Radio Shack concept stores), it was a pretty generic corporate campus outside of being yuuuuuuge (aside from some fast as hell elevators).

I've been to the JC Penney campus a few times as well (on deliveries, also a friend works there, I've met him a few times for lunch). the JCP campus was a lot more tasteful, much more understated, but also just as sprawling, and otherwise generic once you were out of the foyers.

Elmnt80 posted:

That's one of the only malls in DFW I never made it to.

When I left (granted, 2 years ago), the big shocker was that Town East Mall in Mesquite was not only thriving (seriously, packed on weeknights), but... THE SEARS WAS FULLY STAFFED AND STOCKED. :wtc: Most of the other malls were on life support. Valley View has been half torn down for ages, Collin Creek had all the anchors torn down (supposedly they're going to reuse some of the interior corridors, but it's becoming a live/work/shop destination supposedly), Vista Ridge had been through bankruptcy (don't know what it's called now). Northpark is still thriving tho, and probably will be until the boomers decide to stop going to malls.

I'm kinda sad that Austin only has 2 (indoor) malls. Apparently the one by work used to be amazing in the 80s mall stereotype (lots of visuals, fountains, etc). It's just generic as hell now.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Malls were cool growing up. Ours had an ice rink as well.

And more importantly, several arcades.