Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is YISUN?
Mother
A lie we tell ourselves to have a purpose
Bliss
A paradox with no solution
Father
A strong female protagonist
The weakest thing there is and the smallest crawling thing
Creator
Everything in this miserable and hellish existence
A solution with no paradoxes
View Results

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
basically it's kind of the point of the entire conflict going on between the demiurges and zoss is that nobody, zoss included, actually knows the path to Royalty, they just got most of the way there and got stuck on the whole "incredible violence" thing. it's entirely possible where they are now is like a false vacuum and won't actually lead them to enlightenment anyway: they have a kind of incredible power, but it may not even be the right one, but nobody is really aware of this except maybe zoss and meti, but both are/were too polluted by all the murders, trauma, and age to try to walk another path

President Ark fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Aug 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Walrus Pete posted:

Meti isn't qualified to teach anything but Sword Law. She'd be the first to tell you this.

Meti would probably tell you she's not qualified to teach anything, and Sword Law especially.

Zero_Tactility
Nov 25, 2007

Look into my eyes.

Who What Now posted:

Meti would probably tell you she's not qualified to teach anything, and Sword Law especially.
I bet she would (grudgingly) admit she's qualified to teach people to bring her booze (and sometimes noodles).

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm not akulanization.

I think it's bad writing because it contradicts the established rules of the story. If she was truly fighting without attachment to self or victory, then why would her apotheosis grant her the body she always wanted? If she had fully annihilated her ego and desire in order to land one perfect strike as Meti teaches, why would the result be to grant her something she had been clinging to before experiencing ego loss? If she still had attachment to her feminine self-concept and desire for acceptance, then by definition she shouldn't be able to do a Meti Special Cut.

It hasn't worked this way for Meti, Intra, or any of the other characters who are implied or stated to have been able to achieve moments of perfect zen. All of them seemed pretty down on it after having done it. White Chain being able to strike a God because she struck without attachment is something that makes sense in the context of the rest of the story. Doing so resulting in the fulfillment of her desires unrelated to striking a perfect blow doesn't; it's just the universe giving her treats.

Now, Solomon David may be the one person in the universe where punching him in the face actually can grant your desires, apparently instantaneously and without you having to tell him what you want, but the whole joke was that anyone still clinging to desire would never be able to touch him. That's the point, that was what made the Ring of Power a farce.

I get that Abbadon really wanted to give White Chain this moment from the start, both out of personal affection for the character and because he knew his audience would mostly love it, but I really feel like it undercuts the whole "don't play the Demiurges' game, even victory is just a trap" theme Zoss has been banging on the whole time.

so did you put this much thought into the ramifications of stealing a civilian's cigarettes in iraq or was that just kind of autopilot

Mr_Moose
May 4, 2004
Why I find this moment great is because the history of angels given to us caused a near hyper focus on the specific system of their rebirth cycle. I'm not up with all the in universe terminology so forgive me if in my processing of this event I misuse story terms.

We knew that angels can be destroyed and eventually reconstitute themselves *somehow* so that was the expectation, that at some point in the story we'd witness an angel be destroyed and come back somewhere down the line. More expectations were set by discussing how destructive it was when an angel "dies," specifically how an unimaginably powerful explosion occurs. We also knew White Chain was special because she was more honest than her brothers about who she is. So if she went through her cycle again she'd come out differently than before.

Whoever was talking about ego, or sense of self, I think is probably right on the money as to what happened here. White Chain was hyper focused on throwing her punch, while either maintaining an image of her true self or that was completely true to herself. I think you could argue either ideal embodies the feat of royalty that comes next. Hell, you could probably argue that she threw the punch with a lack of her previous sense of self and that too would be a valid interpretation. Maybe knowing who you are not can mean you know who you are.

She shed all preconceived notions of being a mere angel as she had continuously throughout the last part of this arc literally been fighting outside of her shell in a form that was closer to who she was but still not quite a true representation of herself (is she trapped in a shell? is she a feminine astral energy-angel tethered to masculine physical shell? two separate but equally powerful beings?). She was simultaneously scratching the surface of unison with herself but still fighting with the limitation of being two equal but conflicting entities, so despite reaching new heights of power she still couldn't yet be described as royal as she was only externalizing her inner turmoil.

My guess is that the old White Chain was successfully destroyed by Solomon David's punch, but instead of getting the foreshadowed explosion, White Chain threw a punch so true to herself (or so absent of her previous sense of self) that she harnessed the massive amount of destructive energy and turned it into a powerful force of creation. The shell that house the angels contains their energy, which is ultimately still whatever they are in a raw uncontrollable flame form, and White Chain was able to escape the cycle of angelic destruction and rebirth by maintaining absolute focus during her punch.

I totally expected her to to just die in this fight and by certain metrics she absolutely has. Both her physical and astral shell are dead and gone. She immediately has been reborn in an unprecedented and most likely unrepeatable feat.

Whatever the actual explanation is, what a rad moment. Imagine throwing a Self-Actualization Punch at a God. I wonder what happens next and I hope she manages to survive it.

Mr_Moose fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Aug 4, 2020

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
She's probably wondering where the rest of her eyes went.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

paranoid randroid posted:

so did you put this much thought into the ramifications of stealing a civilian's cigarettes in iraq or was that just kind of autopilot

absolute ether

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Screw the comic, you're the real reason I follow the thread pary rando

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

Walrus Pete posted:

Established rules are falsehoods to be shattered, ignored, or circumvented. If you haven't figured that out by now then I don't know how to help you.
Meti isn't qualified to teach anything but Sword Law. She'd be the first to tell you this. It is beyond foolish to think that Meti's mastery of Sword Law, if it even led to Royalty at all, is the only way to get there.
At no point have we had reason to believe that White Chain just really, really wanted to be human. She didn't become flesh on purpose. This is not some magical wish-fulfillment, it is something miraculous and confusing and unprecedented. How and why it happened, exactly, remains to be seen (if it even gets explained). So please do us all a favor and stop acting like you know exactly what's going on.
Yeah yeah, reality is a lie smiled Yisun, etc. but the world of the story still operates according to certain principles. Something has to separate people who shake the pillars of heaven and flout physical laws from the hundred or so chumps that Solomon David punched into chili despite their skill at death matches and desire for universal power. Just wanting it really bad isn't enough, look how that turned out for Pryan Sor's kid. Abbadon has spilled a whole lot of ink about what it takes to obtain Royalty in this setting, and if it was all a red herring, then what exactly makes the difference? A good twist subverts the expectations the author has set up, a bad one just ignores them. "This was just a totally unprecedented set of circumstances that no one saw coming" is lazy writing.

E: Also, White Chain's desire to be a human woman could not be more obvious, especially when her brothers are giving her poo poo about it in Wielder of Names. This is 100% wish fulfillment for her.

I've never been on the ground in Iraq and I don't smoke, so I think you have me confused for someone else you're long-term mad at.

Dead Reckoning fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Aug 4, 2020

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

You seem really invested in knowing more about this universe than the guy who invented it.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
If you are a law robot obsessed with rules and structure you are gonna be real disappointed with this comic that has been beating us over the head with a thesis of “actually royalty is bullshit and by pursuing it you are playing by the set of rules that hosed everything up in the first place” the entire chapter. Yes, all the ink spilled over royalty WAS a red herring. Smug navel gazing about royalty has always been useless. Always.

This is going about as well for you as the time you posited that Cio could never form positive relationships due the essential characteristics of devils. You were really tutting us for being Insufficiently Realistic about Race.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Joe Slowboat posted:

I think this undermines it because it pretty much says 'by being a cool person you also get the power to punch dictators' - it's boring and pat to say 'right makes might' because like... what if it doesn't? Zoss wasn't saying 'stop trying to punch the wheel into shape, because if you focus on actual growth, invention, and mutuality, you will PUNCH SO MUCH loving HARDER HELLLLL YEAAAAAAAAH'

There is also the minor point that, when consumed as a webcomic, we had a break and an expectation of weight for this sequence built by things like Twitter, patreon, and the accompanying text. We also have at least right now a couple of days to really reflect on this story beat. But when this is put into a book there will just be a page to turn. If the next bit is Solomon bleeding then this sequence will be about Solomon getting beaten and White Chain’s apotheosis will kinda get shortchanged.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

It figures that when the comic goes definitively against everything Dead Reckoning was saying earlier in the thread, they would show up again to double down on it.

OlaOst
Oct 17, 2012

Solomon is going to explode

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Dead Reckoning posted:

Something has to separate people who shake the pillars of heaven and flout physical laws from the hundred or so chumps that Solomon David punched into chili despite their skill at death matches and desire for universal power.

Again, the key difference is that White Chain had already given up any hope or thought of victory. If any of the chumps in the melee were thinking "hell yeah I'm going to go get turned into paste throwing myself against an invincible god with every fiber of my being" maybe they could have done kung fu miracles too. I mean, I assume there's a certain minimum level of hardcore it takes but there were some pretty badass dudes there.

Zoss sez: do not care about winning
WC sez: I do not care about winning

narrative: preserved

like OK this arc is not necessarily a literary masterpiece but it is self consistent on the face of it

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Straight White Shark posted:

like OK this arc is not necessarily a literary masterpiece

u wot mate

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Outside of context it just looks like she's vaping.

Grimwall
Dec 11, 2006

Product of Schizophrenia

Let's just write some deep learning bs to give everyone sunglasses forever and be done with it.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

True Royalty is not violence without purpose, but purpose without violence.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Grimwall posted:

Let's just write some deep learning bs to give everyone sunglasses forever and be done with it.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Challenge Mode: Put sunglasses on everyone in the Siege of Yre.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Oh man I can't wait to see 10VG's reaction face.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

MikeJF posted:

Oh man I can't wait to see 10VG's reaction face.

White Chain to Vigilant Gaze: "My eyes are up here."

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I have nothing to say about all this philosophical talk except COMIC GOOD.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

gently caress YES

Unrelated:
The latest chapter of Jujutsu Kaisen has someone who understands royalty

Chainsawman (rightfully) gets the hype as the best thing running in shonen these days but JJK sure as gently caress isn't a slouch either.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

nimby posted:

10 Male Gaze Discards the Periphery.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

A Sometimes Food posted:

Chainsawman (rightfully) gets the hype as the best thing running in shonen these days but JJK sure as gently caress isn't a slouch either.

Spy x Family is pretty solid, if in a very different way.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yeah yeah, reality is a lie smiled Yisun, etc.

:hmbol: at dismissing one of the core themes of the comic out of hand

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

Too fair to worship, too divine to love...

Who What Now posted:

yeah i blazed through the comic over about a week and a half and gawked at the pretty pictures half the time and even i picked up on this.

dr gonna dr i guess, being wrong and then doubling, tripling, and even quadrupling down on things is what he does/is for :shrug:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

nimby posted:

*Looking at Chain's hair*
"No, they aren't anymore."

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

Amazing

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Who What Now posted:

And even if it wasn't, why should we expect the cosmology given to us by characters within the story to be 100% accurate?

Michael for instance definitely doesn't come across as a dude with a warped perspective, I bet his version of the creation story is totally trustworthy and objective

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Zoss, to Allison posted:

By Names she cuts the world as she pleases and she cuts herself into greater forms still. She is not shaped by the world, but instead becomes the Shaper.

Royalty is self condratictory.
You must annihlate the self but hold the will to assert it. Yisun is everything, and yet is also nothing.

For a small moment, WC bent the world, becoming what she wants to be not through a ritual, technique or conscious wish, but bevause her will was to strike as that person, the person she asserts herself to be, the person she has forced the world to see her rear end.

She granted this to herself.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Rigged Death Trap posted:

she has forced the world to see her rear end.

:hmmyes:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Well thats not untrue is it

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Not untrue at all. It's also a glorious typo.

Mr_Moose
May 4, 2004
I hope despite being frazzled by the turn of events, Solomon David can get himself together enough to remember to 'do the thing' and collect all his armbands or he's going to be super embarrassed.

You just don't do the armband release trick and let them fall. If it's not the single largest, it at least has to be of the biggest taboos in the K6BD universe, right? Who needs a ravenous worm god to destroy your empire when the sound of a couple armbands hitting the ground annihilates the image of total perfection to the masses.

On this day, egg appeared on the face of god. "There is egg on my face," spoke god, "but look, I have created a chick."

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
It’s too late. The armbands are falling to earth as we speak since Ki Rata time just ended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

:sbahj: