Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

UnfurledSails posted:

the one sure sign that I'm losing fat is that my sleep goes to poo poo and I'm 20 percent crankier

Yeah the shed days are the hardest days. Drink water with electrolyte and be sure that you are getting enough calories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Ego-bot posted:

I can get my nose up to the bar when trying to do a chin-up now. 15 less pounds should do it.

First chin-up is the best, keep going

Mrs. Dash
Apr 11, 2009

UnfurledSails posted:

doesn't creatine make your hair fall out faster or something or was that debunked

I think the research leans towards it might accelerate male pattern baldness if you're genetically predisposed to it anyway, but who cares just shave your head and get that one extra benchpress rep

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Hellblazer187 posted:

I will when it's time to bulk. I've still got like 40 lbs of fat to lose before I can approach being called 'in shape.'
creatine will help

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Hellblazer187 posted:

I will when it's time to bulk. I've still got like 40 lbs of fat to lose before I can approach being called 'in shape.'

Taking creatine on a cut makes even more sense, since you get less natural creatine from your food (meats).

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

For what it's worth there's also some evidence that suggests creatine supplementation can boost cognitive function for vegans and vegetarians.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7246861/

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

Mrs. Dash posted:

I think the research leans towards it might accelerate male pattern baldness if you're genetically predisposed to it anyway, but who cares just shave your head and get that one extra benchpress rep

Oh...

Well I'm strong, I guess

:smith:

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

DJ Fuckboy Supreme posted:

Oh...

Well I'm strong, I guess

:smith:

Just grow a sick beardo

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ

VorpalFish posted:

For what it's worth there's also some evidence that suggests creatine supplementation can boost cognitive function for vegans and vegetarians.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7246861/

Importantly, this is actual good research that directly measured outcomes, as opposed to the creatine baldness research which IIRC essentially boils down to proposing a plausible mechanism for how creatine could cause baldness. A plausible mechanism without research that measures the outcome directly is the academic equivalent of clickbait, and very often turns out to be completely wrong.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Mrs. Dash posted:

here's a good summary of current research:
https://examine.com/nutrition/does-creatine-cause-hairloss/

tl:dr

quote:

Only one study has examined the creatine-DHT link (and then, only in males) but many others have shown that creatine does not affect testosterone levels, and since DHT is a metabolite of testosterone, there is some doubt that creatine really increases DHT. If it does, though, then yes, it could contribute to hair loss. However, keep in mind that DHT is only one of many factors that contribute to hair loss; an increase in your blood levels of DHT does not guarantee your hair will fall out. To this day, no studies have directly examined creatine’s effects on hair loss.
If you're going bald, you're going bald. That's genetics. Maybe creatine speeds it up a tad, maybe not. One indirect study isn't enough to make any definitive conclusions, and even then the dht increase was in normal adult range.

nooneofconsequence fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Aug 4, 2020

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
THE ONLY EXERCISE I AM UNFAMILIAR WITH IS EXERCISING MY ABILITY TO MAKE A POST PEOPLE WANT TO READ
And that's assuming that creatine doesn't just happen to something else that would negate the effect of DHT
And that's assuming the relationship between DHT and hair loss has been proven to be causative, not merely correlative (this one I just don't know, maybe it has been proven to be causative)

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Also shouldn't it be expected that creatine should have a (very weak) correlation with hair loss? More creatine=>more jacked=>more endogenous test=>less hair. Boom

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

noticed I forgot to put a knee sleeve on in the middle of a set and immediately my knee started to hurt. Stupid brain lol.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
Pretty sure most of the water retention from creatine is in your muscles, that's not bad. I've never noticed creatine having a big affect on my bloating either way either, although I think some people get some stomach effects from bigger doses of it but i can't really remember

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Helios Grime posted:

Taking creatine on a cut makes even more sense, since you get less natural creatine from your food (meats).

I do low carb so I still get a ton of meat. But, maybe I'll buy creatine. Would y'all still but creatine if it cost 2x the price?.my price in this country will be about 2x US prices.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Hellblazer187 posted:

I do low carb so I still get a ton of meat. But, maybe I'll buy creatine. Would y'all still but creatine if it cost 2x the price?.my price in this country will be about 2x US prices.

A tub of creatine lasted me like 2 years and I don’t believe it was very expensive.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016
Yeah it's like 10 dollars for many months supply it would need to be a lot more expensive to not take considering it's the only effective supplement

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Reading a bit about creatine since I don't currently take it. Says to do a loading week where you take four times the amount (20g) per day, then do 5g per day after. Does that align with your experiences?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Just start with 5g and take 5g daily. They're just trying to sell you more creatine.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Ego-bot posted:

Just start with 5g and take 5g daily. They're just trying to sell you more creatine.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Yeah, and also that's vastly more creatine than you'll get from your meaty diet unless you hunt most of it.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Man, the tie-dye "Your Body on Creatine" shirt is sold out...

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

Hellblazer187 posted:

You'd need to eat like 12 lbs of beef a day to reach creatine cell saturation. The creatine I get costs like $0.10 a day and hell yeah I'd pay $0.20. I may even pay a quarter.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

nooneofconsequence posted:

You'd need to eat like 12 lbs of beef a day to reach creatine cell saturation. The creatine I get costs like $0.10 a day and hell yeah I'd pay $0.20. I may even pay a quarter.

Link?

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

I just get this shiz from amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DYIZEO/

But any micronized creatine should do you fine.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Beef, salmon and pork have something like 2g per pound for creatine. Chicken and tuna is slightly less. Herring is around 5g.

Supplementing 5g is the "more than enough" dose for most people unless they are huge. So 2g from a pound of beef or pork a day is probably fine.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

If you cook your food you are probably getting less.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Ok, you've all convinced me. I'll buy the creatine.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Is there anywhere that dumbbells or kettlebells aren’t sold out? Tired of working out with water jugs.

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
Creep on the r/homegym stock threads

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

dantheman650 posted:

Is there anywhere that dumbbells or kettlebells aren’t sold out? Tired of working out with water jugs.

eBay

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

nooneofconsequence posted:

I just get this shiz from amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DYIZEO/

But any micronized creatine should do you fine.

Oh man, sixteen bucks is cheap!

agrielaios
Dec 25, 2009

Hellblazer187 posted:

Ok, you've all convinced me. I'll buy the creatine.

Just watch out for dumb poo poo they put into the powder so it wont be clumped etc, investigate before you ingest.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Batterypowered7 posted:

Oh man, sixteen bucks is cheap!
myprotein's creatine $12-$15 for 2.2lbs. At 5g/day that's ~200 days of doses. Actual dosing is debatable. About 0.03g/kg is a reasonable estimate from studies & bro science I've seen. That would put most people in the 1.5.g-3.2g/day range. I've no reason to believe obese people need more than a lean 105kg person would, but I am not a mega creatine expert.

5g/day is a good lazy amount given there's no downside to taking 5g.

I'd skip loading simply because if you take too much at once you can get nausea and diarrhea. It's not a scam to sell you more and will get you to optimal levels quicker (it's like you started taking it sooner). The impact of creatine isn't big enough that you can't go 2-3 more weeks without full saturation.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Aug 5, 2020

Dennis McClaren
Mar 28, 2007

"Hey, don't put capture a guy!"
...Well I've got to put something!
Hit myself in the forehead with a 30lb DB while doing seated concentration curls. That's a first. Got a little too excited and swung that thing right up into my dome.

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Dennis McClaren posted:

Hit myself in the forehead with a 30lb DB while doing seated concentration curls. That's a first. Got a little too excited and swung that thing right up into my dome.

At least you didn't drop a 100 pound barbell on your neck because you failed a bentpress.

feelix
Nov 27, 2016

Khorne posted:

myprotein's creatine $12-$15 for 2.2lbs. At 5g/day that's ~200 days of doses. Actual dosing is debatable. About 0.03g/kg is a reasonable estimate from studies & bro science I've seen. That would put most people in the 1.5.g-3.2g/day range. I've no reason to believe obese people need more than a lean 105kg person would, but I am not a mega creatine expert.

5g/day is a good lazy amount given there's no downside to taking 5g.

I'd skip loading simply because if you take too much at once you can get nausea and diarrhea. It's not a scam to sell you more and will get you to optimal levels quicker (it's like you started taking it sooner). The impact of creatine isn't big enough that you can't go 2-3 more weeks without full saturation.

complete global saturation

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

My new kettlebells came in and wow 32kg is comically large. I can see myself swinging that someday, but I think it's going to be a looooong time before I do a get up with it. I did one with 20kg yesterday but I'm going to stick to 16 for a while until I feel more confident in the movement.

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Hellblazer187 posted:

My new kettlebells came in and wow 32kg is comically large. I can see myself swinging that someday, but I think it's going to be a looooong time before I do a get up with it. I did one with 20kg yesterday but I'm going to stick to 16 for a while until I feel more confident in the movement.

32kg is the best size; you won’t regret it once you get there. I pushed my deadlift from 320 to 450, only using a 28kg doing simple and sinister for nine months straight.

One thing I’ve noticed with kettlebell training vs. barbell/dumbbell is that I feel strong as hell after kettlebell training instead of wiped out. Once my elbow is back to 100% I plan to swap back to mostly kettlebells with barbell training every other day or so. It just works better for my body.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

bomb posted:

32kg is the best size; you won’t regret it once you get there. I pushed my deadlift from 320 to 450, only using a 28kg doing simple and sinister for nine months straight.

One thing I’ve noticed with kettlebell training vs. barbell/dumbbell is that I feel strong as hell after kettlebell training instead of wiped out. Once my elbow is back to 100% I plan to swap back to mostly kettlebells with barbell training every other day or so. It just works better for my body.

Have you read any of Pavel's books on Barbell training? He has a few. He emphasizes the idea of feeling stronger after training rather than wiped out. When I was in BJJ before Covid I had made it a habit of doing his basic barbell program, Power to the People, before class. It felt good. If you're already DLing 450 you're probably too strong to get much out of PTTP (or maybe not) but he's got a few other books on barbell training I haven't read yet.