Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Jedit posted:

Excitable Boy, I'll Sleep When I'm Dead, or My poo poo's hosed Up?

Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Jedit posted:

Hit Somebody.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Jedit posted:

Mr Bad Example, obviously.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Jedit posted:

Lawyers, Guns, and Money

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Speaking of gorgeous, Avalon is up
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2012515236/quest-avalon-deluxe

Reworked art for Avalon+Coup

Is Avalon good? I love Coup but it's pretty much the only game in that style that i've played. Oh and Citadels I think?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

CODChimera posted:

Is Avalon good? I love Coup but it's pretty much the only game in that style that i've played. Oh and Citadels I think?

Yeah. It's low-randomness, heavy on the "deduction" part of social deduction and runs faster than other games I've played in the genre, all of which are positives in my book.

Of course everyone I used to play with bitched about all of this and couldn't wait to get back to Secret Hitler. :v:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

GrandpaPants posted:

I hope the component quality is better than Avalon's since those tokens fade really drat quickly.

It's Indie Boards and Cards (or whatever they're called these days). What does your heart tell you?

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

CODChimera posted:

Avalon is amazing.

It's incredibly simple to teach, fast, hilarious and has a lot of modular bits you can throw in once your group gets a meta going. It's one of the few deduction games that actually has real deduction, all through a framework that makes excessively clever deduction dangerous for your team.

The selling point is that one of the good players knows everything (Merlin) and as a side game, one of the bad players is hunting them. The good players cannot lose the overall game if Merlin steps up to provide guidance, but the bad players win if Merlin is too obvious and gets shanked by the Assassin. So every good player is simultaneously trying to figure out who is who while simultaneously trying to provide cover for Merlin... while trying to figure out who Merlin is so they can get some guidance. And the bad players are listening to everyone's arguments trying to figure out who is too clever and who is so confused they couldn't possibly be Merlin.

Basically everyone is trying to deduce something, and there's just enough going on mechanically that it doesn't come down to "that guy looks shifty."

I think it's the best social deduction game I've ever played.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, Avalon's my favorite social deduction game. Secret Hitler's up there, too. I really like the policy deck adding a bit of randomness and something to argue about. I wish a game that didn't take multiple hours would steal Battlestar Galactica's destiny deck idea in a more direct way.

The only one of the Bezier werewolf games I like is One Night Werewolf. Vampire's too complicated and Alien's too goddamn random.

I'm also one of those lunatics who likes Human Punishment. It's like Good Cop, Bad Cop, but some folks don't like the swinginess.

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Aug 5, 2020

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

CODChimera posted:

Avalon is a better version of Coup.

What everybody else has said is pretty much my thoughts on it.
My one single complaint with it is that the box and artwork is a bit on the... lets say.. bargain basement clipart side of things

The new art is gorgeous

The bigger pledge level has new artwork for Coup as well, if that is something you are interested in.

Echophonic posted:

The only one of the Bezier werewolf games I like is One Night Werewolf. Vampire's too complicated and Alien's too goddamn random.

If you get a chance check out Blood on the Clocktower. It's my favourite IRL variant of Werewolf/Mafia, and I've managed to playtest it a couple of times.
A lot nicer rules overall, it's still traditional Werewolf, allows for late entries, and your vote counts if you get knocked out.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Crokinole boards are shipping out :neckbeard:

Now to find some gliss powder in Australia..

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
I like the artwork and theme of Resistance more than Avalon but you need an expac for that to get the same mechanics.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I like the artwork and theme of Resistance more than Avalon but you need an expac for that to get the same mechanics.

The issue is that Indie Boards and Cards don't believe that colour matching is possible, so any expansions that didn't come from the same print run as the base will be visibly different. This is a problem in bluffing games (solvable by sleeves but still irritating)

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Avalon is a better version of Coup.

What everybody else has said is pretty much my thoughts on it.
My one single complaint with it is that the box and artwork is a bit on the... lets say.. bargain basement clipart side of things

I was sold on it a couple of posts ago and was looking to see if it would be better to buy it immediately but yeah the new art looks tons better so I'll just KS it. Oh and Coup.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'd have a hard time comparing Avalon and Coup. They both feel very different to me, but I suck at Coup and am pretty good at Avalon. I have a hard time tracking what cards have been cycled and what people have claimed most of the time, so Coup proves a higher skill bar to clear than the more social Avalon.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I have nothing to say about Arcana Rising other than it has an abacus as a point tracker which is neat.

https://i.imgur.com/6c2nyrt.mp4

It also feels gimmicky if there's only 2 rows :thunk:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Infinitum posted:

I have nothing to say about Arcana Rising other than it has an abacus as a point tracker which is neat.

That's because it actually comes with 6 abacuses, one for each player. Since they are score trackers I assume players aren't going to break into triple digits for score.

Still a gimmick though definitely

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Infinitum posted:

And it appears to be knocking off 7 Wonders.

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

hmmm

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/dames-of-asstoria#/

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

I clicked the link betting myself that there would be some visual flair to emphasize the 'rear end' in Asstoria.

I feel somewhat cheated that I lost.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
oh, it's the fallout: equestria guys

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Echophonic posted:

I'd have a hard time comparing Avalon and Coup. They both feel very different to me, but I suck at Coup and am pretty good at Avalon. I have a hard time tracking what cards have been cycled and what people have claimed most of the time, so Coup proves a higher skill bar to clear than the more social Avalon.
Coup is good, but in my experience the early game is a bunch of brinkmanship as everybody claims to have a Duke and everybody else tries to convince somebody to call the obvious bluff.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

The weirdest thing is that the name's almost certainly an "rear end joke" but everything else is played mostly straight.

quote:

While we are asking for $5,000, that money is the bare minimum needed to get the book out the door while continuing to work on this game in our spare time between our other jobs. In reality, we need $30,000 in order to fully afford all the art and production costs for the book.

According to their incredibly long pitch, asking for a small fraction of what they need is a lesson learned from their previous project.

Said previous project was Fallout Equestria. Which appears to be commercially available despite, uh, everything about it?

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

This isn't a line of female minis with butt emphasis at all! I feel cheated!

(I do not feel cheated)

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That Old Tree posted:

Said previous project was Fallout Equestria. Which appears to be commercially available despite, uh, everything about it?

I was wondering how that worked, too. I'm sure Bethesda would have strong ideas, but Hasbro just shrugs its shoulders?

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

That Old Tree posted:

The weirdest thing is that the name's almost certainly an "rear end joke" but everything else is played mostly straight.

Yeah I only skimmed it but that was really glaring and very confusing

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Introduction paragraph is 4 lines, followed immediately by 14 lines about how the dice system works including a lengthy example. :hmmno:

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Doctor Zero posted:

Introduction paragraph is 4 lines, followed immediately by 14 lines about how the dice system works including a lengthy example. :hmmno:

quote:

Dames of Asstoria will be our second game. We have recently completed our Fallout Equestria PnP

:randno:

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Doctor Zero posted:

The dice system is a nightmare come to life. It haunts me. Percentile dice based combat and outside combat you roll a d10 pool with changeable target number and number of needed successes. And OWoD style critical failures but more finicky.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

Infinitum posted:

I was looking at this. It's very similar to 7 Wonders in being a fairly pure drafting game but it seems like it might just have a little more game to it with how the spell activations and resources work.

I'm not intrigued enough to back just yet though

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Doctor Zero posted:

Everything else about it aside, I wish ever kickstarter did this. Every lore and flavor pitch sounds the same, mechanics are what's actually going to convince me you're doing something different. (Or not, and then I can immediately dismiss the project, which is probably why more of them don't do it.)

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Everything else about it aside, I wish ever kickstarter did this. Every lore and flavor pitch sounds the same, mechanics are what's actually going to convince me you're doing something different. (Or not, and then I can immediately dismiss the project, which is probably why more of them don't do it.)

Sure of course you should talk about mechanics... eventually. But if I asked what your game was about and you just went off for 20 minutes about the dice and critical fumbles, I’m still going to be left wondering at the least, or more likely assume it’s just a big dice fest that role playing takes a back seat to.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Doctor Zero posted:

Sure of course you should talk about mechanics... eventually. But if I asked what your game was about and you just went off for 20 minutes about the dice and critical fumbles, I’m still going to be left wondering at the least, or more likely assume it’s just a big dice fest that role playing takes a back seat to.

You can pitch the setting and theme in a paragraph. People don't need to hear the nitty-gritty details of how magic works in your setting or the name of every major star empire or whatever to get what you're going for. In fact, the snappier the pitch, the better it is.

That doesn't work with rules. You can explain that hey, it's a fail-forward fiction-first 2d6+stat system, but that doesn't tell me what you're doing better than every other PbtA hack out there, or why I should care. If you're trying to sell me an actual game, and not just a setting book or whatever, you have to explain to me why the hell I'd buy your game and run it over just taking some other, better game and lightly reskinning that.

Going deep into a play-by-play of how a single die roll is resolved is a poo poo way to do that (unless your core resolution system is very original and super hardcore thematic) but it's still better than nothing, really.

Of course, the right way to do it is to explain what makes your system unique and why that's good in a paragraph or two (to go with the explanation of what makes your setting unique), and then just link to an ashcan or playtest document so people can read the drat rules themselves, rather than throwing out meaningless numbers that no one could care about without having first read the actual game, and acting like you've reinvented the wheel.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 5, 2020

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Even better is if you explain the mechanics and during the discussion of the mechanics it becomes very obvious how they create the story you said is the focus of your game. 2d6+stat fail forward game is fine but it's more useful to know how you track monster parts for the end-of-mission stew or whatever.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
It’s the finally day of The Shivers, so I’ll finally stop seeing it in my FB feed. Expensive but decent looking pop-up book game. How it plays is still a bit of a mystery.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

lol Dwarven Forge just launched their latest KS and it's already close to $2 million.

Ah to be rich and be able to afford the fully hand painted set for $6k or whatever the hell it is

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Infinitum posted:

lol Dwarven Forge just launched their latest KS and it's already close to $2 million.

Ah to be rich and be able to afford the fully hand painted set for $6k or whatever the hell it is
I really enjoyed the documentary about their company and the videos they put out for each campaign are pretty funny and well produced. The actual product is like super premium rich person stuff though, yeah.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Yeah, their terrain is great but jesus even a small encounter area is like $300.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Aye if I ever strike it rich I'd want to host weekly D&D sessions with all the top of the line wanky poo poo

Like the wanker I'd become :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

A 24in by 24in single-biome build, $355 unpainted, or $595 painted.

Jesus, I think I'll stick to chipboard.