Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Fathis Munk posted:

IT'S TIME FOR A GARRISON DOUBLE FEATUUUURE

Always question your "expects" that's what scientists like Fauci do, yes. This might mean that the current opinion might change if the evidence to the contrary piles up. Could you imagine the sort of idiot who makes up an opinion on the fly and than just keeps on doubling down, no matter what reality says?

Also lol. "15 years ago, this person made a vague statement which implied that HCQ is an eternal panacea against every existing and emerging corona case, while being absolutely harmless. Why would he chose to change his opinion in such a sudden time frame?!?!"

A large percentage of the right wing idiots just don't understand the concept of science. If you get new data, or contradicting evidence, you discard your current theory. That's the whole point. Nothing really bad about being incorrect at first. Even Leibniz made some fundamental (heh) errors in his calculus, which where only fixed centuries later.

cant cook creole bream fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Aug 6, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Jedit posted:

They did, actually, in 2014.

https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2056

It's almost certainly because he's black rather than because of any actual concerns about his performance, of course.
Eh, I think that has more to do with the current president and current problems tending to be in the front of people's minds. In 2006 it was Bush.

https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=919

Edit: :lol: in 2018 it was Trump.

https://poll.qu.edu/national/release-detail?ReleaseID=2526

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

cant cook creole bream posted:

Always question your "expects" that's what scientists like Fauci do, yes. This might mean that the current opinion might change if the evidence to the contrary piles up. Could you imagine the sort of idiot who makes up an opinion on the fly and than just keeps on doubling down, no matter what reality says?

Also lol. "15 years ago, this person made a vague statement which implied that HCQ is an eternal panacea against every existing and emerging corona case, while being absolutely harmless. Why would he chose to change his opinion in such a sudden time frame?!?!"

A large percentage of the right wing idiots just don't understand the concept of science. If you get new data, or contradicting evidence, you discard your current theory. That's the whole point. Nothing really bad about being incorrect at first. Even Leibniz made some fundamental (heh) errors in his calculus, which where only fixed centuries later.

These people think Edison was a genius.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Big lol at Barr being for "Law & Order" with every single thing he's done in office.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Say what you will about Tinsley but ever since then new guy took over there has been a SSJ3 level increase in :words: that make a bad gamer webcomic blush

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Fister Roboto posted:

Congratulations! We're the Ferengi, not the Federation.

:females:

the Ferengi were aghast we irradiated our own planet and emphasized you can't do business if your customers are dead. Ferengi would be... aspirational for us atm.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Trapezium Dave posted:

Rall: They Are Not Going to Take Me

they are not going to take you ted rall, because you are too much of a piss baby to actually take part in any revolution

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Fauci's genuinely been a colossal rear end in a top hat in how he's been handling all of this, by being way too visible in the press and making a large number of contradictory statements that have fed terrifying press coverage to no benefit. This needs to be recognized, even if it has been better than and generally aligned against the administration's even worse handling of the process. In any other administration he'd have been asked to resign after he appeared on an AM radio show and gave them a soundbite endorsing hydroxychloroquine based on a profound misunderstanding of clinical ethics...which is something he did back in March. Someone in Fauci's position really shouldn't be doing direct press engagements in the first place. His behavior is part of what lets Garrisson attack him, and has hurt the ability of other public health voices to address the issue or point to the administration's abdication of responsibility.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Discendo Vox posted:

His behavior is part of what lets Garrisson attack him, and has hurt the ability of other public health voices to address the issue or point to the administration's abdication of responsibility.
I'm pretty sure if he'd resigned or shut up they'd have used that as fuel to attack him too. Like I get your point, I agree that behavior matters for its own sake, but specifically in regards to how Garrison and other Trump sycophants react to or attack others, isn't really worth considering because they'll do it no matter what.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Discendo Vox posted:

Fauci's genuinely been a colossal rear end in a top hat in how he's been handling all of this, by being way too visible in the press and making a large number of contradictory statements that have fed terrifying press coverage to no benefit.

Same as in other countries, then.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019

cant cook creole bream posted:

There's a pretty constant mode of thought among right wingers, especially the "rationalist" types, of learning just enough about a subject to be smug arsehole at people, and then refusing to ever take in any new ideas or re-evaluate what they previously thought.

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
BTW just to pre-empt Garrison's bullshit "FAUCI HYDROXYCHOLORIQUINE" argument - SARS is not SARS-CoV-2, the current coronavirus. The genetic structure and resulting virus are significantly different.

Yes, chloroquine proved to prevent infection - by an older virus, in cell culture. It was never given to patients, and it was tried against a completely different infectious agent.

But details are for leftists I guess.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
have some soothing balm

https://twitter.com/firstdogonmoon/status/1290442861645828097

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

Bricka bracka
Firecracka
Sis boom bah!
Bugs bunny! Bugs bunny!
Rah! Rah! Rah!

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Why is Trump riding a vehicle manufactured in France? Riddle me that Garrison.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Trump is literally trying to extort money from a tiktok sale. I hate stiglich so drat much

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
Garrison often has trouble drawing a consistent perspective but holy lol that motorcycle. Like look at the turn indicators and try to imagine what the geometry of the front fork is supposed to be.

UZworm
Feb 9, 2009

Young wild Elsweyrian
C'mon baby, do you have a soul gem

SubG posted:

Garrison often has trouble drawing a consistent perspective but holy lol that motorcycle. Like look at the turn indicators and try to imagine what the geometry of the front fork is supposed to be.

Oh god I can't unsee it now, the back wheel is so far off it looks like the thing has a sidecar

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Trapezium Dave posted:

That's Melbourne in the background, the Stage 4 lockdown has made the right-wing media furious about the economy.

b... but isn't New Zealand actually handling it better than more-or-less anywhere else in the world?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Calico Heart posted:

b... but isn't New Zealand actually handling it better than more-or-less anywhere else in the world?

If you're measuring health consequences and lives lost, absolutely. If you're measuring economic cost, no. I'm sure I don't need to tell you which of these Leak thinks is important.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Ambitious Spider posted:

Trump is literally trying to extort money from a tiktok sale. I hate stiglich so drat much

That's, uh, not Stiglich?

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

muscles like this! posted:

Big lol at Barr being for "Law & Order" with every single thing he's done in office.

Barr using 'law and order' as a shield without caring what condition it's in when he's done seems pretty accurate, honestly.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

seiferguy posted:

That's, uh, not Stiglich?

It very clearly isn't. I don't know why I thought it was.

I still hate Stiglich though

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Ambitious Spider posted:

It very clearly isn't. I don't know why I thought it was.

I still hate Stiglich though

Pfft. Who doesn't.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

NRVNQSR posted:

If you're measuring health consequences and lives lost, absolutely. If you're measuring economic cost, no. I'm sure I don't need to tell you which of these Leak thinks is important.

One of the best moments during the lockdown was a reporter asking the minister how we were going to pay for the economic support and he just said "We'll borrow money for it. Obviously." No question, no playing for the centre, just doing whatever is needed to keep people alive and safe.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

betaraywil
Dec 30, 2006

Gather the wind
Though the wind won't help you fly at all

Remember that time Devin Nunes advocating for Republican ballot harvesting on live teevee while referring to it as "ballot harvesting"?
https://twitter.com/libsinamerica/status/1261069338427211782?lang=en

Gaybies Nomination: Worst Gaslighter Cartoon

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

It's so strange that the messaging of Star Trek complete eludes some people.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Aug 7, 2020

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

betaraywil posted:

Remember that time Devin Nunes advocating for Republican ballot harvesting on live teevee while referring to it as "ballot harvesting"?

Remember when North Carolina Republicans did what they're accusing Democrats of, and did it so badly they got the whole 2018 9th district race thrown out? And also they did it in 2016 but nobody stopped them?

Those poor, poor rich people. Won't someone think of their needs for a change?

Nestorix
Aug 3, 2006

exotic particles

SubG posted:

Headlight is part of the gas tank somehow? How can that motorcycle turn? Solid rims?

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Those poor, poor rich people. Won't someone think of their needs for a change?

They're drawn really unfavorably too. Am I supposed to feel upset they're upset?

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Donald Trump's reaction to the Beirut explosion – US president said explosion ‘looks like a terrible attack’, adding he met with generals who felt it was ‘a bomb of some kind’"

Telegraph:

Four key failings of England's Covid-19 test-and-trace system

Matt:

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

Mail:
PAUL THOMAS on... back to school

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

:australia:

Pope:

Rowe 1:

Rowe 2:

The differences in approach and stance that Victorian premier Dan Andrews and Scott Morrison are taking to tackling/avoiding the Victorian outbreak. Although that isn't how Andrews dresses in press conferences - it's North Face jacket/no tie for regular bad news, blue suit jacket/no tie for really bad news. If he turned up with a tie it's time to nail shut the doors.

Leak, Son of Leak:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Two (2) Pulitzers.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Johnny Walker posted:

I doubt even a hardcore right winger would put Obama as "worst ever" on a list. He'd be below at least Carter, if not Clinton.
The worst president is always the most recent democrat, second only to whoever looks like being the next democrat.

The Artificial Kid
Feb 22, 2002
Plibble

Discendo Vox posted:

Fauci's genuinely been a colossal rear end in a top hat in how he's been handling all of this, by being way too visible in the press and making a large number of contradictory statements that have fed terrifying press coverage to no benefit. This needs to be recognized, even if it has been better than and generally aligned against the administration's even worse handling of the process. In any other administration he'd have been asked to resign after he appeared on an AM radio show and gave them a soundbite endorsing hydroxychloroquine based on a profound misunderstanding of clinical ethics...which is something he did back in March. Someone in Fauci's position really shouldn't be doing direct press engagements in the first place. His behavior is part of what lets Garrisson attack him, and has hurt the ability of other public health voices to address the issue or point to the administration's abdication of responsibility.
Bullshit. Fauci has dealt honestly with an evolving crisis full of uncertainties, and unlike most of America's leaders at various levels he has tried to save American lives. I can't even imagine what it's like for him, trying to foster sound public policy while embedded in an administration that is willfully doing everything wrong, and even leaking against him, misleadingly, to try to paint him as incompetent. You sound like you're living in a fantasy world where the pandemic arises on Tuesday morning and by Tuesday afternoon a bunch of sexily-lit scientists have sequenced it and released an antidote that spreads through the water system to save everyone. Fauci, from the start, has been dealing with incomplete information and new, emerging facts that often challenge previous medical orthodoxy (e.g. the utility of surgical masks against a respiratory virus when used en masse). And unlike someone working in a purely scientific capacity, he does not have the luxury or waiting until the facts are established before giving an answer, because very day 300 million people want to know how to deal with the pandemic, and his job every day, whether in front of the press or through policy work, is to answer that question.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Squirrel appreciation day duck is at it again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Johnny Walker posted:

I doubt even a hardcore right winger would put Obama as "worst ever" on a list. He'd be below at least Carter, if not Clinton.

Obama has a singular quality amongst US Presidents that wins him that prize.

I'm still sad that I accurately predicted the level of mind-losing and hatred that quality would stoke the night of his election. My only failed prediction was caused by him leaving office alive.