Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I'm just bracing myself for Newtype technobabble sexposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Bit late for games chat but what I really want is a Gundam game where the beam sabers actually work as they do in the show. Something like metal gear rising where once you cut a body part that part falls off.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=5&v=5RkfGStdOUM&feature=emb_title

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Droyer posted:

Bit late for games chat but what I really want is a Gundam game where the beam sabers actually work as they do in the show. Something like metal gear rising where once you cut a body part that part falls off.

I'd love a character action game using Gundams. You'd think something like Gundam Wing with really stylized designs, and simple but differentiated units in terms of weapons would be perfect for that. 00, IBO and a few others seem like they'd be a great fit too, at least in terms of designs and action.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
My personal desire has always been something in the vein of Build Fighters / Custom Robo but with more depth and actually good. I realize Breaker is kind of this, but I haven't heard many good things about it. I want a deeply customizable Gundam experience that lets me sortie in whatever I want with meaningful choices. Gamify my gunpla addiction, please. Less emphasis on flash, more emphasis on substance. I feel like Battle Operation 2 has a good foundation for this with regards to varying speed and suit variety.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Build fighters but with more milfs

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Please tomino... Please! Please!

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Zodack posted:

My personal desire has always been something in the vein of Build Fighters / Custom Robo but with more depth and actually good. I realize Breaker is kind of this, but I haven't heard many good things about it. I want a deeply customizable Gundam experience that lets me sortie in whatever I want with meaningful choices. Gamify my gunpla addiction, please. Less emphasis on flash, more emphasis on substance. I feel like Battle Operation 2 has a good foundation for this with regards to varying speed and suit variety.

It's only New Gundam Breaker that is bad, Gundam Breaker 3 is excellent

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

chiasaur11 posted:

I'd be game.

Could Leopold Fieseler be one of the leads? Ex-detective turned senator seems like a good skillset for the job.

I'm willing to watch drat near anything if they put Leopold Fieseler in it.

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Omnicrom posted:

I'm willing to watch drat near anything if they put Leopold Fieseler in it.

Hunter Noventa
Apr 21, 2010

I knew we wouldn't be able to get away from the awful S1 characters. The moment they talked about a rehearsal battle I knew they'd shove them in.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Today's episode was a nice decompression after saving Masaki in the previous one, with everyone getting time to process things. While we've only seen a hint of his personality, Masaki already sounds like a huge dork with his bear metaphors. :allears: Masaki's sister being against him going back to Eldora makes a ton of sense, and I thought it was nice that they're giving that plot beat time to breath by not resolving it immediately in the same episode.

Looks like I called it right about Magee signal boosting Kazami's video as a way to ask other GBN players to help come up with a game plan for assaulting the satellite. Showing other people watching Kazami's videos and writing supportive comments was a also nice way to cushion the shock of seeing the Divers crew, so I actually smiled when I saw where this was going. :v: At least this way we don't have to worry about Build Divers stinking up the final battle by appearing as reinforcements.

Magee really is the best thing to come out of Build Divers, though I've forgotten just how thick their booty was.
:tutbutt:

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Riku looks like a completely different person in the Re:Rise artstyle. Hopefully he acts like one too.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Hunter Noventa posted:

I knew we wouldn't be able to get away from the awful S1 characters. The moment they talked about a rehearsal battle I knew they'd shove them in.

Yeah, as soon as they started spitballing about that it was obvious exactly what was gonna happen :sigh:. I was hoping it'd just be limited to just Riku and Kyoya based on the upcoming kits, but looks like we're just not gonna be that lucky given the scope of the rehearsal mission. There is a potential bright side here; we might get to cathartically watch every first-season character blow up one-by-one :unsmigghh:. Except Magee, of course. Magee rules.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Riku looks like a completely different person in the Re:Rise artstyle. Hopefully he acts like one too.

Shouldn't be hard to give him a personality considering he didn't have one to begin with :v:. I don't think it's so much an art redesign as just aged up a few years.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, as soon as they started spitballing about that it was obvious exactly what was gonna happen :sigh:. I was hoping it'd just be limited to just Riku and Kyoya based on the upcoming kits, but looks like we're just not gonna be that lucky given the scope of the rehearsal mission. There is a potential bright side here; we might get to cathartically watch every first-season character blow up one-by-one :unsmigghh:. Except Magee, of course. Magee rules.

I doubt it. I think it's more likely what'll happen is there'll be several inconclusive fights and the resolution of the episode will be the new Divers succeeding in taking over the satellite or something non-combat related, since that's their goal with the mission against Alus after all. The only fight I can see being somewhat conclusive is Par fighting his brother, since Par has some anxieties about his worth in relation to the rest of his family, and Shahryar could believably step back and just not fight back in a critical moment to lose rather than be definitively beaten. What I'm wondering is whether the rehearsal scenario will account for the presence of Cuadron in the real fight in some fashion and whether Captain Zeon will appear to challenge and/or inspire Kazami. I'm also curious if Masaki will use that gunpla bike that was sat beside his Seltsam gunpa in some fashion too, but I imagine that'll play in to the final episode if it'll have a role and will be how he gets in to space or something maybe. Seltsam riding a motorbike in to space sounds dope as gently caress.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

tsob posted:

I doubt it. I think it's more likely what'll happen is there'll be several inconclusive fights and the resolution of the episode will be the new Divers succeeding in taking over the satellite or something non-combat related, since that's their goal with the mission against Alus after all. The only fight I can see being somewhat conclusive is Par fighting his brother, since Par has some anxieties about his worth in relation to the rest of his family, and Shahryar could believably step back and just not fight back in a critical moment to lose rather than be definitively beaten. What I'm wondering is whether the rehearsal scenario will account for the presence of Cuadron in the real fight in some fashion and whether Captain Zeon will appear to challenge and/or inspire Kazami. I'm also curious if Masaki will use that gunpla bike that was sat beside his Seltsam gunpa in some fashion too, but I imagine that'll play in to the final episode if it'll have a role and will be how he gets in to space or something maybe. Seltsam riding a motorbike in to space sounds dope as gently caress.

I don't think so about the bike sadly, though I definitely agree it'd be sick as gently caress if it happened. It's an HGBC kit used in Build Divers, and just a nod to it I'd wager. Plus they tipped their hand with the upcoming kit lineup getting ahead of the show due to COVID, and the Seltsam's just getting some shoulder boosters for space combat and a better flip-out gun. It'll probably devolve into 1v1 rival fights across the board I reckon, just to give everyone some last-minute character growth with good old "look how strong/better I've become" if nothing else; Probably Hiroto vs Riku and Kyoya individually, Paz vs Shahryar, May vs either Aya and/or Sarah (I'd say Aya as they're closer in comparable character archetypes), Kazami's gotta be getting a shot at Captain Zeon at the very least just to give us King Mode vs the Hi Mega Saber (:pray:), and Masaki... gets to participate, I guess :v:.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm not looking forward to the return of the boring losers club, but I'm relieved that they'll probably only show up for the big practice scenario and not swoop in at the end of the real battle to save the day.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Mordja posted:

I'm not looking forward to the return of the boring losers club, but I'm relieved that they'll probably only show up for the big practice scenario and not swoop in at the end of the real battle to save the day.

I assume it'll be the standard adventure show thing where they and a bunch of other side characters charge in to help out with the big final battle when the protags are in a sticky situation, but it's still the BUiLD DIVERS who save the day and restore/destroy/replace Alus in the end.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Where is my man Rommel

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Zodack posted:

Where is my man Rommel

Tried for crimes against AInity

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Tried for crimes against AInity

The Dakar Trials did not go well for him.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Okay so I haven’t watched any Re:Rise so I can’t contribute to that discussion but you know what I did do? I read We’re Federation Hooligans!!! and it’s follow-up, Gundam Katana. Hooligans was... okay. Silly but okay. Katana goes full stupid. Ridiculous cyber new type BS in 0084, complete with mind controlling “demon sword” system and a masked man, and MS like Blue Destiny Omega and a rebuilt Full Armor Alex with beam shield creating fin funnels, and half the MS can hit things so fast they turn into sand. Oh, and the main bad guy also pilots a rebuilt GP-03.

It does have a kung fu Acguy though.

Edit: oh yeah it also features several Mass Producfion Big Zams, Bright Noah, and some cool dude named Quattro Bageena shows up for a bit.

ManSedan fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Aug 7, 2020

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I enjoyed Hooligans but Katana just goes too far for me despite being stupid-silly enjoyable.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

im not sure why at the end of gundam wing zechs kills himself but im even less clear on why in endless waltz zech is alive again with a new tallgeese that looks even more like a gundam

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Zodack posted:

I enjoyed the epilogue (poor Sochie)
i honestly don't remember much from the last 2-3 episodes of Turn A because epilogue was just so great my brain doesn't have the space to remember anything else about how Turn A ended

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

What's a good way of watching the original story? Is Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin any good? The only thing across all the streaming platforms I was able to find was The Origin on Hulu and The Origin Advent of the Red Comet on Crunchyroll/VRV. Should I just watch those in order?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

MuffinsAndPie posted:

What's a good way of watching the original story? Is Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin any good? The only thing across all the streaming platforms I was able to find was The Origin on Hulu and The Origin Advent of the Red Comet on Crunchyroll/VRV. Should I just watch those in order?

The Origin OVAs are a prequel to the original Mobile Suit Gundam that tell Char's origin story (the manga is also a full retelling of the events of MSG, but the parts that make up MSG itself did not and will not get adapted)

The Mobile Suit Gundam films stream for free every now and then on the GundamInfo channel (they just set them back to private, they generally let them air once a year), and are easily available on Bluray. I'm pretty sure you can also get the full show on Bluray if you want.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
The Gundam films are up right now actually!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJV1h9xQ7Hx97xa4PuilJTJ3sgh3SnryT

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

Thanks you all!

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Neat, they were unavailable again when I looked a couple of weeks ago and I just assumed they were gone for the rest of the year.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
After going through Turn A I decided to do my due diligence and watch through 0079 before restarting Zeta and I've got to say it is both as ridiculous as I remembered but also surprisingly watchable due to the tone and lack of interjected humor you get used to in modern anime.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Lemon-Lime posted:

The Origin OVAs are a prequel to the original Mobile Suit Gundam that tell Char's origin story (the manga is also a full retelling of the events of MSG, but the parts that make up MSG itself did not and will not get adapted)

The Mobile Suit Gundam films stream for free every now and then on the GundamInfo channel (they just set them back to private, they generally let them air once a year), and are easily available on Bluray. I'm pretty sure you can also get the full show on Bluray if you want.

Seems a little presumptuous to me to automatically assume that the rest of The Origin will never get adapted, they basically have to remake the original shoe eventually

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

drrockso20 posted:

Seems a little presumptuous to me to automatically assume that the rest of The Origin will never get adapted, they basically have to remake the original shoe eventually

They do? Why? Because it has bad animation? When has "it's old" ever meant that something has to be remade, just to be relevant? Some TV shows are remade, but they're usually ones that are for a new audience entirely (i.e. shifting something from one country to another) or simply don't have an audience anymore. How many shows that started a franchise that is still popular have been remade because the original show that started it all is old? Yamato is the only Japanese one I can think of, and even then, the franchise itself isn't nearly as popular or relevant as it once was. Gundam is still all over the place.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Id watch a film adaptation of tominos novels I think

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There is a potential bright side here; we might get to cathartically watch every first-season character blow up one-by-one :unsmigghh:. Except Magee, of course. Magee rules.

Lusting for the on-screen death of a bunch of (child!) characters from a literal children's show because you didn't like it definitely seems healthy and not at all like you should maybe take a step back for a moment.

Like actually what the hell.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i have never seen a good post with :unsmigghh: in it

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

tsob posted:

They do? Why? Because it has bad animation? When has "it's old" ever meant that something has to be remade, just to be relevant? Some TV shows are remade, but they're usually ones that are for a new audience entirely (i.e. shifting something from one country to another) or simply don't have an audience anymore. How many shows that started a franchise that is still popular have been remade because the original show that started it all is old? Yamato is the only Japanese one I can think of, and even then, the franchise itself isn't nearly as popular or relevant as it once was. Gundam is still all over the place.

On the other hand, The Origin was really well done and there are still books left in the manga. If there hasn’t been some sort of announcement saying that it will never happen, why make that claim to begin with?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i just lust for harman karn like a normal person

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

everythingWasBees posted:

Lusting for the on-screen death of a bunch of (child!) characters from a literal children's show because you didn't like it definitely seems healthy and not at all like you should maybe take a step back for a moment.

Like actually what the hell.

To be fair, I’m pretty sure they’re talking about the rehearsal battle which would still be in GBN and not Eldora. Watching the OG cast get obliterated in a scrimmage is a little different in tone :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Solkanar512 posted:

On the other hand, The Origin was really well done and there are still books left in the manga. If there hasn’t been some sort of announcement saying that it will never happen, why make that claim to begin with?

What claim?