Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Demon's Souls makes you run back to bosses from too far away, past too many monsters

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Replaying Demon's Souls after having not seen it for years reminded me of how much of an improvement Dark Souls' bonfires were. You can't sit down at the archstones in Demon's because there's really no reason to do so, but that has the knock-on effect of there being no mid-level checkpoints. Usually the end of a level will have a shortcut that massively reduces travel time but there are some outliers that make you run basically the whole drat thing again and it kinda sucks.

edit: iirc Shrine of Storms 4-1 is one such example. The Adjudicator is a pretty easy boss but as far as I remember that level has no shortcuts whatsoever, so you have to run the entire cliffside skeleton gauntlet again if you die to it.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 14:03 on Aug 6, 2020

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Inspector Gesicht posted:

What games have diverse bestiaries, but are very poorly distributed?

Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Calibur had a ton of monster and beastman units but the only way to get them was to recruit them during a random encounter. Problem is that random encounters were insanely rare. You could have your entire army marching around for an hour without finding a single one. In fact if you only do it for an hour you probably won't find one. And of course once you do get a random encounter recruiting them isn't guaranteed to actually work.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

CJacobs posted:

Replaying Demon's Souls after having not seen it for years reminded me of how much of an improvement Dark Souls' bonfires were. You can't sit down at the archstones in Demon's because there's really no reason to do so, but that has the knock-on effect of there being no mid-level checkpoints. Usually the end of a level will have a shortcut that massively reduces travel time but there are some outliers that make you run basically the whole drat thing again and it kinda sucks.

edit: iirc Shrine of Storms 4-1 is one such example. The Adjudicator is a pretty easy boss but as far as I remember that level has no shortcuts whatsoever, so you have to run the entire cliffside skeleton gauntlet again if you die to it.

I can't believe anyone takes issue with 4-1, when 4-2 exists.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

The Moon Monster posted:

Ogre Battle 64: Person of Lordly Calibur had a ton of monster and beastman units but the only way to get them was to recruit them during a random encounter. Problem is that random encounters were insanely rare. You could have your entire army marching around for an hour without finding a single one. In fact if you only do it for an hour you probably won't find one. And of course once you do get a random encounter recruiting them isn't guaranteed to actually work.

Outside of dragons and hellhounds, most monsters weren't really worth recruiting anyway, so when you run into a wild hawkman or faerie it just felt like a total waste of time.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.

CJacobs posted:

For what it's worth, I don't think it is a bug after having played the whole thing. The first time you heavy attack an enemy in the wrong stance it'll force you to swap to the correct one, then the next time it will remind you without pausing the action, and after that it doesn't remind you anymore unless you're wailing on a dude trying to break his block to no avail. Seems like it does that once for each stance and then never again- past the middle of Act 2 it hasn't happened to me anymore.

If that is the case it's hella dumb because the different stances arent just for extra stagger damage. Typhoon kick in particular is just incredible all around and the Moon Stance heavy attack can hit multiple enemies. The stone stance poke is really strong finisher too.

WaltherFeng has a new favorite as of 15:22 on Aug 6, 2020

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Cliff posted:

Outside of dragons and hellhounds, most monsters weren't really worth recruiting anyway, so when you run into a wild hawkman or faerie it just felt like a total waste of time.

I vaguely remember Sphinxes being ridiculously good. Pumpkinheads were also gimmicky but could do massive amounts of damage if you used them right. I may be completely misremembering this but I think all flying squads (hawkmen, sphinxes, gremlins/fairies, gryphons) were pretty useful.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

All-flying were pretty useful for getting around the map and yeah sphinxes could paralyze or something. Faeries/gremlins were odd because they never did much damage but if you came across them in one of the endless training battles their buffs/debuffs would stack forever and gently caress you up.

Are there any other games like Ogre Battle where you control your army from a general perspective but don't command individual units in battle? Fire Emblem/FFT/Shining Force scratch the battle and class-changing itches, but I'm not aware of other games like OB.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's Bahamut Lagoon, where as far as I remember you control units in a turn-based tactical mode much like the games you mentioned, but each unit is actually a squad of four, which you can set up from all your army members, or a dragon, which you can feed and crossbreed to get more powerful dragons.
e: you don't in fact, I think, feed them your army members, but that might make a neat balance mechanic for a similar game with a way different tone

Front Mission might be another one, you get mechs to set up and I think by the mid-late game you have 12 or 16 or so on the field at once.

Advance Wars? uh, Disgaea maybe?

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
IIRC Soul Nomad works that way, you set up squads and while you control their movement on the map I think depending on their positioning in the squad they'll automatically do different things when in combat.

e: oh yeah, can't forget Dominions :unsmigghh:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume

Edit: nevermind misread the question!

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Ruffian Price posted:

It's possible to play this game for a hundred hours and not realize this but this button

allows you to start from any point in the song

god damnit

Content: The difficulty jump from Expert to Expert+ is insane. Its bigger than the difference from easy to Expert to me.

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
I haven’t played it on a while but Witcher 3 had kind of a funny bestiary.
Wraiths
-wraith
-nightwraith
-noonwraith
-afternoonwraith
-teatimewraith

vampiroids
-vampire
-vampire but bigger

regular rear end animals
-wolf
-bear

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

I haven’t played it on a while but Witcher 3 had kind of a funny bestiary.
Wraiths
-wraith
-nightwraith
-noonwraith
-afternoonwraith
-teatimewraith

vampiroids
-vampire
-vampire but bigger

regular rear end animals
-wolf
-bear

'Cause I'm a Fleder
I'm a Shrieker
I'm a Drowner
And I'm a Nekker

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Zanzibar Ham posted:

IIRC Soul Nomad works that way, you set up squads and while you control their movement on the map I think depending on their positioning in the squad they'll automatically do different things when in combat.

e: oh yeah, can't forget Dominions :unsmigghh:

Soul Nomad is definitely the closest game I can think of, but it's still turn based rather than real time.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, right, the real time element. Hmm, yeah... Dragon Force kinda, but there is some manner of control of the units in combat, mostly changing tactics and telling the leader to do special moves.

e: also IIRC you can't mix & match different troop types in the same unit, so eh, not a good example at all for what you're looking for

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

If you’re playing Ghost of Tsushima with the Japanese voice track, the haikus very obviously don’t have anywhere near the right number of syllables, which annoys me more than it probably should. I guess they wrote them in English following the 5-7-5 rule then just translated them into Japanese without worrying about the syllable count. It’s the most minor thing in the world but I have to try really hard not to think about it or it drives me nuts
This is because they aren't haiku in the Japanese localization, but more general Waka poetry. Haikus didn't even exist when GoT takes place so it's actually more accurate too, but all anyone knows about Japanese poetry are haikus so that's what they went with I guess :shrug:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

I really would have appreciated getting something other than headbands, which are the lamest hat option in the game

It is weird because there are some cool headbands but there are also just so many that are just palate swaps.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!
Re; SC2 10th anniversary

I was hyped to play the game again and get "you did it you completed the story" achievements. Then I saw the myriad of hoops you have to jump through to get them and just thought gently caress It. one Mission has "build no SCV's" as a achievement and only gives you 4 at the start. The various "do it in xx minutes" ones are not really relax and chill and enjoy the gameplay kind of stuff. Then you get some really specific ones that mandates you have to play on such a strict schedule that fun is not an option anymore.

I really wish they had made easier and more casual achievements to relive and replay a 10 year old game.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

smuh posted:

This is because they aren't haiku in the Japanese localization, but more general Waka poetry. Haikus didn't even exist when GoT takes place so it's actually more accurate too, but all anyone knows about Japanese poetry are haikus so that's what they went with I guess :shrug:

That makes sense, in English they all follow the 5-7-5 pattern without exception so I thought it was a translation thing, it didn’t occur to me that they’d do whole different poetry styles between the two translations. I just thought it was funny once when the third line that the subtitles had as a quick 2 or 3 word sentence of 5 syllables had Jin go on for like a full 15 seconds in Japanese

CordlessPen
Jan 8, 2004

I told you so...

CJacobs posted:

For what it's worth, I don't think it is a bug after having played the whole thing. The first time you heavy attack an enemy in the wrong stance it'll force you to swap to the correct one, then the next time it will remind you without pausing the action, and after that it doesn't remind you anymore unless you're wailing on a dude trying to break his block to no avail. Seems like it does that once for each stance and then never again- past the middle of Act 2 it hasn't happened to me anymore.

Yeah, for me it happened once per stance, right after unlocking it, and I think it happened once or twice out of the blue (I remember once in my first Straw Hat duel, but I actually kind of appreciated that because for some reason I assumed they would be considered brutes instead of swordsmen).

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Cars 2 for the 3DS is low effort and bad in comparison to Cars 2 for the Xbox 360, which appears to be an actually good game.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

RareAcumen posted:

The takedowns. I just realized as I was playing it that I played the other three on the 360 so that's another level of confusion. What do you press for environment takedowns? The break weapons one? The AOE one? Etc etc. I finally find a guide that lists them and then it turns out that not everyone can do all of them! That's so annoying!

They're all in there. The button combos for each one are explained in the skills menus, complete with animations. I'm positive. The ones you've unlocked are definitely in each game, 360 or no, somewhere in the menus/skills. I remember because I had to go look them up a lot since I suck at games and Batmanning in general.

Seriously, I suck at fighting games but one of the things I LOVED about the Arkham games was how complicated and cumbersome remembering the combos distinctly WAS NOT and I honestly don't get the complaints I'm reading. Even carrying over the muscle memory from one game to the next I found to be a loving breeze.

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 23:05 on Aug 6, 2020

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

It annoys me to no end that Xbox Game Pass has games listed that aren't even out yet and they don't tell you until after you download the placeholder. Like they just put a game on there that doesn't release until December but it is still in the catalogue and doesn't tell you anywhere that you can't actually play it

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

BiggerBoat posted:

They're all in there. The button combos for each one are explained in the skills menus, complete with animations. I'm positive. The ones you've unlocked are definitely in each game, 360 or no, somewhere in the menus/skills. I remember because I had to go look them up a lot since I suck at games and Batmanning in general.
IIRC in Knight skills like Disarm & Destroy are explained in the campaign-exclusive upgrade menu and not in the regular controls help screen, which is all you're gonna get if you're just launching AR challenges from the main menu

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Qwezz posted:

one Mission has "build no SCV's" as a achievement and only gives you 4 at the start.

This one isn't so bad, there's a ton of mineral pickups all around the map, and if you focus down the enemy command centers then they stop getting minerals almost entirely.
However, it is complete bullshit that playing through the terran campaign from the archives just gives you things in the order you got them last time you played the campaign. Zerg and Protoss campaigns both give you everything you could possibly have had before doing whatever mission.

Paper Tiger
Jun 17, 2007

🖨️🐯torn apart by idle hands

Qwezz posted:

Re; SC2 10th anniversary

I was hyped to play the game again and get "you did it you completed the story" achievements. Then I saw the myriad of hoops you have to jump through to get them and just thought gently caress It. one Mission has "build no SCV's" as a achievement and only gives you 4 at the start. The various "do it in xx minutes" ones are not really relax and chill and enjoy the gameplay kind of stuff. Then you get some really specific ones that mandates you have to play on such a strict schedule that fun is not an option anymore.

I really wish they had made easier and more casual achievements to relive and replay a 10 year old game.

Thing dragging Starcraft 2 down: it's been out for ten years, when I could've sworn it was released only four or five years ago. I feel old. :smith:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Paper Tiger posted:

Thing dragging Starcraft 2 down: it's been out for ten years, when I could've sworn it was released only four or five years ago. I feel old. :smith:

Jesus, where did the time go?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

moosecow333 posted:

One other thing I just remembered that annoyed me about Deus Ex Human Revolution. You can get the ability to punch through certain walls and take out someone on the other side but it forces it to be a lethal takedown.

A lot of good alternate routes were locked off from me on my no kill run because of that. Also the fact that you can fail the no kill challenge during the prologue is super dumb.

I was annoyed by the same thing when the game first came out, but in hindsight I wanna say realistically every time an enemy is hanging around on the other side of one of those walls, it's in plain view of at least two others and it's obviously noisy as hell besides so the odds of making good use of it in a no kill run is actually nil anyway.

To me the annoying part was the revelation that you can break those walls through other means - explosives, obviously, but also inexplicably if you have armor piercing on your silenced pistol that'll do the job - but those weak walls won't be highlighted unless you actually buy the skill.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think five shots with the standard pistol will take out those walls, can't remember if it kills the enemies behind it though

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Jesus, was there anything that rinky dink pistol couldn’t do?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

moosecow333 posted:

Jesus, was there anything that rinky dink pistol couldn’t do?

The 10mm pistol being obscenely good is a DX tradition going back to the first game and I wouldn’t trade it for anything. :colbert:

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

This is probably very much just a me being a bit dim issue, but I am occasionally having trouble telling what is and is not a walkable path in Octopath Traveler. Mostly when I'm playing outside, under natural light.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The 10mm pistol being obscenely good is a DX tradition going back to the first game and I wouldn’t trade it for anything. :colbert:

It almost wasn't! If I'm remembering correctly, Warren Spektor had to fight to keep the pistol in the game, because some of the other devs wanted to get rid of it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Memento posted:

It almost wasn't! If I'm remembering correctly, Warren Spektor had to fight to keep the pistol in the game, because some of the other devs wanted to get rid of it.

Why would you need a pistol when you can have the GEP gun?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

BiggerBoat posted:

Seriously, I suck at fighting games but one of the things I LOVED about the Arkham games was how complicated and cumbersome remembering the combos distinctly WAS NOT and I honestly don't get the complaints I'm reading. Even carrying over the muscle memory from one game to the next I found to be a loving breeze.

Ruffian Price posted:

IIRC in Knight skills like Disarm & Destroy are explained in the campaign-exclusive upgrade menu and not in the regular controls help screen, which is all you're gonna get if you're just launching AR challenges from the main menu

Ruffian Price is explaining it better. I just went to the AR challenges because I just wanted to fight people and also play as other characters.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

JackSplater posted:

One of the earliest ones in Heart of the Swarm is to get 70 mutalisks in under 18 minutes on the mission they're unlocked in. It's not hard. it takes about fourteen if you play poorly like I did. But it's uninteresting, which is the problem.

i just did this but i misread mutalisks as hydralisks :negative:

i think the anniversary achievements are generally okay but there are too many "beat mission in under X minutes"; the thing like "only use medivacs and mercenaries" was interesting and i felt super proud i pulled it off, only for it to not give it to me. interesting to learn that it was because it's bugged, ugh

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Gaius Marius posted:

Why would you need a pistol when you can have the GEP gun?

Sometimes you need to make a silent takedown

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Isn't that what the cattle prod was for? Or that wicked laser sword

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

sebmojo posted:

Sometimes you need to make a silent takedown

Stick with the prod. Prod with the prod. Just in case though, we're police.