Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
lol google just cancelled the pixel 4, just nine months after launching it: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/08/google-discontinues-the-pixel-4-after-less-than-a-year-of-sales/

really digging this ars subheadline:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

they’re all the worst pixel phone if you really think about it

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

they’re all the worst pixel phone if you really think about it
when banzan was walking through a best buy he overheard a conversation between a cell phone salesman and his customer

'give me the worst pixel phone you have,' said the customer

'every pixel phone in my kiosk is the worst,' replied the salesman. 'you cannot find here any pixel phone that is not the worst'

at these words banzan became enlightened

FMguru fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Aug 6, 2020

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
these pixels are making me thirsty

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
lol @ Google's pixel strategy:

1. let's make our own brand of high-end phones
2. hmm we aren't selling a lot, let's make some cheaper versions of our high end phones
3. hmm the mid-range phones are cannibalizing our market
4. let's release a lovely new high end phone
5. shortly into its life, let's launch a mid-range phone that is largely identical to the lovely high end phone, but better in a few ways and way cheaper
6. hmm that mid-range phone killed all of the demand for the high end phone
7. let's kill the high end phone off early, before it's successor is ready for the market
8. for a months-long gap, we will only sell one midrang phone under our high-end phone brand
9. Why do people complain that we don't follow through on hardware?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
google is to hardware what apple is to web services / gaming / original content (with the weird exception of chromecast, which is just perfect - and perfectly priced - for what it does)

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

FMguru posted:

google is to hardware what apple is to web services / gaming / original content (with the weird exception of chromecast, which is just perfect - and perfectly priced - for what it does)

that's because chromecast is purely and only a way for more people to see ads on youtube. it has no ways it can be used for other things. you can only stream to it from things that google allows to stream to it.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Father Jack posted:

when hugephones started becoming a thing i think i saw more women with them than men. i thought it was maybe about lack of usable pockets on womens clothing and if you're having to carry a bag for your stuff anyway might as well have the big phone, but maybe it's this too

yeah, it's both from a carrying and a usability perspective i think. also, i think women are less likely to have another computer set up well so having a big screen is a plus

FMguru posted:

lol google just cancelled the pixel 4, just nine months after launching it: https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2020/08/google-discontinues-the-pixel-4-after-less-than-a-year-of-sales/

really digging this ars subheadline:

i wonder how much of this is due to COVID affecting their backup part stock. i imagine they want to switch production to the pixel 5 so they want to keep what pixel 4 volume they have for RMAs/repairs.

crepeface fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 7, 2020

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Phobeste posted:

that's because chromecast is purely and only a way for more people to see ads on youtube. it has no ways it can be used for other things. you can only stream to it from things that google allows to stream to it.

I think anything can stream to a chromecast, even p*pc*rn t*me can stream from pc to chomecast

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

pretty sure you can get your phone to tell chromecast to stream Netflix. No doubt other apps on your phone can do it too.

As long as the app and the app backends support the Chromecast framework, it's pretty good for what it does without resorting to just Youtube.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Netflix, Crunchyroll, Twitch, Pandora, and Spotify are some of the apps that I have on my Android that can directly interface with my chromecast.

Watching anime right now, even after killing the crunchyroll app and turning off wifi.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ive never seen a media app on android that cant stream to chromecast. even diy hacky apps like automation apps can do it directly

that being said google is taking the first steps toward killing the chromecast already with the next version running android and having a ton more overhead. from the little information out there it looks like theyre trying to turn it into an android tv dongle with an actual interface and standalone remote control. i imagine the reasoning behind it is that chromecast is impossible for non-nerds to understand on the one side and on the technical side it can become unreliable in some situations where the controls on the phone become unsynced or devices dont show on casting devices due to networking issues but i certainly dont trust them to fix the shortcomings without killing what makes it so great

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

chromecast isn’t perfect but it works pretty well most of the time and having google home installed on my phone means i can pick up and control a stream even after the lovely streaming app loses it (looking at you fite.tv)

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the chromecast as it currently is is about as perfect as a product in that space can be, so any change is sure to ruin it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

chromecast is easy to use, has widespread, affordable adoption and compatibility with tons of devices, it makes sense they'd make it worse

I keep hoping for an open standard for this sort of thing [generic streaming endpoint] but that seems anathema to the streaming hellworld

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
miracast screams from the darkness

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010

infernal machines posted:

miracast screams from the darkness pairing error

fixed - this about sums up my experience with miracast. I managed to get it working for a few minutes once and that was it

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it is dogshit garbage for assholes. naturally, it's built in to windows

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
my chomecast is six years old and has survived a fire and being lost in a very hot car for a year. worst thing about it is that the phone will occasionally desync. stumps me that it's a Google product.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

LastInLine posted:

ive never seen a media app on android that cant stream to chromecast. even diy hacky apps like automation apps can do it directly

that being said google is taking the first steps toward killing the chromecast already with the next version running android and having a ton more overhead. from the little information out there it looks like theyre trying to turn it into an android tv dongle with an actual interface and standalone remote control. i imagine the reasoning behind it is that chromecast is impossible for non-nerds to understand on the one side and on the technical side it can become unreliable in some situations where the controls on the phone become unsynced or devices dont show on casting devices due to networking issues but i certainly dont trust them to fix the shortcomings without killing what makes it so great

My guess is that Google needs more low cost and widely available options for people to pick up Stadia.

Remember when Google tried to push Google Plus integration into everything, including Youtube? Stadia is now that brat that demands attention and the world will suffer for it until Google gives up (or succeeds).

Another gddm remote that clutters up my coffee table is the last thing I need.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

my old job gave me a Chromecast so I could implement it in our app but then I got a new boss who told me to toss the feature. It's not that much work to hook your poo poo up to it though

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
I found my brother in law hooked my parents up with a chromecast to stream to their tv, and everything they were streaming looked like compressed garbage. I replaced it with an Apple TV and it is much smoother now.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

The Management posted:

I found my brother in law hooked my parents up with a chromecast to stream to their tv, and everything they were streaming looked like compressed garbage. I replaced it with an Apple TV and it is much smoother now.

You should tell BVYS* that BVHH** is forbidden from making technology decisions affecting himself or others?

*: Or BVYB, I'm not trying to impose a hetronormative narrative or something.
*: As "Her" and "His" start with the same letter (H) this requires no modification.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

seriously go to hell

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Schadenboner posted:

You should tell BVYS* that BVHH** is forbidden from making technology decisions affecting himself or others?

*: As "Her" and "His" start with the same letter (H) this requires no modification.

gently caress you

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man

Schadenboner posted:

this sucks, stop doing it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

lmao I have to admire the commitment to the most hated joke on the forums

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

PokeJoe posted:

the most hated joke on the forums
why you gotta bring lowtax into this?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

stop

posting

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

PokeJoe posted:

lmao I have to admire the commitment to the most hated joke on the forums

i don't get whats happening with this can someone explain cause i'm a dummy. i know schadenboner sux as a poster but i cant read heads nor tails of wtf they're talkign about

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Last Chance posted:

i don't get whats happening with this can someone explain cause i'm a dummy. i know schadenboner sux as a poster but i cant read heads nor tails of wtf they're talkign about

“negative attention is still attention” applied to terrible catchphrases

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
whoopsey doopsey

quote:

A billion or more Android devices are vulnerable to hacks that can turn them into spying tools by exploiting more than 400 vulnerabilities in Qualcomm’s Snapdragon chip, researchers reported this week.

The vulnerabilities can be exploited when a target downloads a video or other content that’s rendered by the chip. Targets can also be attacked by installing malicious apps that require no permissions at all.

From there, attackers can monitor locations and listen to nearby audio in real time and exfiltrate photos and videos. Exploits also make it possible to render the phone completely unresponsive. Infections can be hidden from the operating system in a way that makes disinfecting difficult.

Qualcomm has released a fix for the flaws, but so far it hasn’t been incorporated into the Android OS or any Android device that uses Snapdragon, Check Point said. When I asked when Google might add the Qualcomm patches, a company spokesman said to check with Qualcomm. The chipmaker didn’t respond to an email asking.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2020/08/snapdragon-chip-flaws-put-1-billion-android-phones-at-risk-of-data-theft/

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Anroid.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Are they giving OEMs fixed binaries for all the snapdragon versions they didn't want to support any more?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
lmao hexagon bug.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Jabor posted:

Are they giving OEMs fixed binaries for all the snapdragon versions they didn't want to support any more?

Are the OEMs giving customers fixed binaries for all the phones they didn’t want to support any more?

no.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the new androids are too big

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bull3964 posted:

I'm actually dithering on whether or not to keep the cycle going and trade in the S20 Ultra on the Note 20 Ultra. Looks like the embargo drops on the 18th since I've seen mention a few places of full reviews dropping.

So far, I've seen two people mention improvements in the fingerprint scanner even though Samsung didn't announce any hardware changes. It's possible the new display or glass (or some other changes to how it was mounted) is helping with that. So, I find that intriguing. I'm also really curious as to how Gorilla Glass Victus really performs, but it may be a bit for that as all the reviewers have review units and unless Samsung sent Jerry one explicitly to destroy, it probably won't come until after retail availability.

Focus issues seem to be resolved from the laser autofocus that the S20 Ultra should have had out of the box. That should probably improve low light shots quite a bit too since I think part of their issue is having poor focus before they are processed and the zoom module seems far more sane and usable.

Since the embargo is down on the 18th, preorders should still be open at that point and I can make a decision based on some of the full reviews. At first blush though, it seems like a much more refined device than the S20 Ultra was.

the phone he is trading in came out in march

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

carry on then posted:

in case anyone is wondering, bull does indeed own 3 $1000+ smartphones which he swaps between out of bordeom

Having a third arm grafted on like Ford Prefect so I can triple wield my phones like liquid metal extensions of my hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

trap set