Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
lmao owned!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

AvesPKS posted:

Yeah but after the Russkies detonate a nuke in the upper atmosphere, generating an EMP blast, that 5$ Walmart special will be dead and my anachronistic mechanical watch will be melted to my wrist and still ticking!

Due to your avatar I heard this in Carl's voice and it fits real well

Giga Gaia
May 2, 2006

360 kickflip to... Meteo?!
buy ur wine on sale to have it made in the shade

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

necroid posted:

yeah the office of the future is just a maze of these bulletproof panels and a constant stream of gunfire from cubicle to cubicle

and some meetings and presentations thrown in just for good measure

wanna speak to HR? better spearhead the offensive, remember to take no prisoners! especially not those dweebs from accounting

Doors and corners. That's where they getcha.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Most wine I buy for myself is in the $20-$30 range, and my favorite chenin blanc is like $15 a bottle. But I think there are some really fantastic ones in the $40-$80 range where you can taste why they're more expensive. I think everything kind of goes out the window once it's higher than that and you're not really paying for taste anymore.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Toro Bravo Tempranillo / Merlot is $8 CAD and drat good for that price

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Failed Imagineer posted:

Ah, sorry America!

in america all cars had to have seatbelts from the factory since 1968, pretty sure only one state doesn't require them to be worn and in some states (like Indiana) a car without seatbelts cannot be registered as anything but an "antique"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Peanut President posted:

in america all cars had to have seatbelts from the factory since 1968, pretty sure only one state doesn't require them to be worn and in some states (like Indiana) a car without seatbelts cannot be registered as anything but an "antique"

And even though we've had seatbelts mandated in cars for over 50 years and wearing them mandated in a lot of states for like 30+ years some people still get real real mad about it

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

just lol if you don't have a combo bottle opener seat belt alarm defeater in your car

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
There's the people that get mad, and then there's the people that have it in their head that they're safer in an accident without a seatbelt because 1) what about whiplash or 2) what if responders can't get them out of the car in time because they're strapped in?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

SpacePig posted:

There's the people that get mad, and then there's the people that have it in their head that they're safer in an accident without a seatbelt because 1) what about whiplash or 2) what if responders can't get them out of the car in time because they're strapped in?

Don't need to be pulled out of your car if you were immediately launched through the windshield on impact.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Chomp8645 posted:

Don't need to be pulled out of your car if you were immediately launched through the windshield on impact.

most people who don't wear a seatbelt honestly believe this lmao

there's a small number of people who just hate the feeling and are okay with dying and w/e

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

There was a Rifftrax a while ago of a safety film about seatbelts that featured a bunch of actors portraying common idiots and their reaction to being told to wear a goddamn seatbelt which was real fun, give it a watch some time if you're into that sort of thing: https://www.rifftrax.com/seat-belts-the-life-saving-habit

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

pentyne posted:

this is why liquor stores qualified as essential businesses.

and rightly so if you don't want people breaking quarantine and doing dangerous poo poo to get their alcs

V. Illych L. posted:

there is very significant difference between five and twenty dollar wine you rubes

with this and your champagne recommendations too you seem to have remarkably bourgie drinking habits, conrade

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Loucks posted:

I’ve had exposure to what I would consider stupidly expensive wines ($300-$1500/750ml, and I sure as hell didn’t pay), and they seemed to range from delicious to awful just like the $10-$20/750ml I actually buy for myself. Maybe they trended to be slightly better on average, but nothing remotely worth the price. I think a huge part of it is just finding something to spend money on and feel superior about. I’m also not a huge nerd who pretends to have a magical palate, but I can taste some interesting stuff if I concentrate sometimes. Gonna drink this $7 bottle I have and watch some of that wine documentary content this weekend while laughing to myself.

Once my wife's boss invited some employees & SO's out to a fancy wine bar on his dime. There were several wine snobs there. I ordered a flight of fancy wines and then when they came out, I poured all four glasses into one glass and said it was my private blend. Lot of shocked faces. And it tasted pretty good, too.

-Zydeco-
Nov 12, 2007

I've knew a motorcycle rider a few years ago who refused to wear a rated helmet and instead had this paper thin skull cap thing. When I asked him about it he explained that he wouldn't even wear that if VA didn't require helmets because he didn't want to get brain damage in a crash. Only two outcomes for him were brain damage with a helmet or instant death.

He did wear some body gear though. One of those Harley vests. You know, for all the road rash. A vest.

Guy was fun to drink around but he was not a smart man I think.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Chomp8645 posted:

this reminds me of an argument I had with a friend back in highschool, he was saying that a motorcycle crash is safer than a car crash because you get ejected to safety if a semi smashes into you but in a car you're contained within the danger zone due to the presence of a seatbelt and windshield

I've forgotten a lot of things in my life, my birthday, my address, the launch codes, but I will never forget that argument

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888

blatman posted:

this reminds me of an argument I had with a friend back in highschool, he was saying that a motorcycle crash is safer than a car crash because you get ejected to safety if a semi smashes into you but in a car you're contained within the danger zone due to the presence of a seatbelt and windshield

I've forgotten a lot of things in my life, my birthday, my address, the launch codes, but I will never forget that argument

trump

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Shugojin posted:

most people who don't wear a seatbelt honestly believe this lmao

there's a small number of people who just hate the feeling and are okay with dying and w/e

My mom is short and always found seatbelts very uncomfortable; she was incredibly lucky when we got hit by a drunk driver when I was very young (this was back in the mid/early 80s) and got thrown from a wreck. I was uninjured. She always wore her seatbelt after that.

About 15 years ago I got in an argument with one of my D&D buddies about seatbelts; he wouldn't wear his for the "I don't want to be trapped in the vehicle" reasons. I told him that while that could happen, statistically it's way more likely that you get thrown from the vehicle and run over in your own car, or in the case of a rollover, you're pretty likely to survive with a seatbelt but going to be obliterated 95% of the time without one (rollover accidents are by a healthy margin the type of accident where seatbelts make the biggest difference). The next week, he was giving me a ride home, and I noticed he had a new truck; I asked if his was in the shop, and he said "you know that argument we had about seatbelts last week? You win." Some guy ran a stop sign and T-boned my friend's truck, which rolled over. He was luckily wearing a seatbelt, and was mostly banged up instead of being thrown out the window and crushed by his own truck.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

blatman posted:

Makes sense, you just fly down the road and skid for a few miles like in the game Road Rash and you're good

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What do you guys think is better, McDonald's or Burger King?

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

blatman posted:

Semi trailers have a persistent AOE, that's why you need to bring ranged dps

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Fame Douglas posted:

What do you guys think is better, McDonald's or Burger King?

Well, I can tell you that one of them gives me the shits every time and the other doesn't, does that count?

I'll leave it to you to guess which is which

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Thanatosian posted:

My mom is short and always found seatbelts very uncomfortable; she was incredibly lucky when we got hit by a drunk driver when I was very young (this was back in the mid/early 80s) and got thrown from a wreck. I was uninjured. She always wore her seatbelt after that.

About 15 years ago I got in an argument with one of my D&D buddies about seatbelts; he wouldn't wear his for the "I don't want to be trapped in the vehicle" reasons. I told him that while that could happen, statistically it's way more likely that you get thrown from the vehicle and run over in your own car, or in the case of a rollover, you're pretty likely to survive with a seatbelt but going to be obliterated 95% of the time without one (rollover accidents are by a healthy margin the type of accident where seatbelts make the biggest difference). The next week, he was giving me a ride home, and I noticed he had a new truck; I asked if his was in the shop, and he said "you know that argument we had about seatbelts last week? You win." Some guy ran a stop sign and T-boned my friend's truck, which rolled over. He was luckily wearing a seatbelt, and was mostly banged up instead of being thrown out the window and crushed by his own truck.

A teacher I knew had a story about not wearing her seatbelt and getting thrown through the windshield in a like 10mph crash that I like to tell people, cuz a lot of people don't realize that even otherwise inconsequential crashes at very low speeds involve a lot of goddamn inertia that can seriously gently caress you up. Plus you're now no longer anywhere near able to control the car, where if you were wearing a seatbelt you very well might still be able to at least do something, so your car could keep going onto the sidewalk or into oncoming traffic and kill other people too :thumbsup:

PERMACAV 50
Jul 24, 2007

because we are cat
We had someone die on the highway here a couple years back; it was at like 25mph but the unseatbelted driver was thrown through the windshield and crushed between the car and the barrier. The passenger was wearing a seatbelt and walked away.

Hurt Whitey Maybe
Jun 26, 2008

I mean maybe not. Or maybe. Definitely don't kill anyone.

SubnormalityStairs posted:

Well, I can tell you that one of them gives me the shits every time and the other doesn't, does that count?

I'll leave it to you to guess which is which

if either gives you diarrhea I would recommend seeing a doctor, that is unusual.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
Burger Kings burger sandwich selections are so much better than McDonalds. Huge smoke flavored flame broiled patties available on a variety of styles? Yes please.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!
Why yes, I would definitely like to be thrown clear of the car in an accident, rather then be stuck inside my carefully engineered safety cage that has been designed with the expressed purpose of preventing fast moving objects from crushing me to death. This is a very smart decision and I am a very clever person.

Most effective school speaker I ever got exposed to was a dude who had been driving drunk and totalled his car in a single vehicle accident, resulting in losing the use of his legs. His two big points that I can remember were these:

He showed a picture of the wreck, then asked everyone if they would prefer to be thrown clear or be stuck in the car. Then he said he got thrown clean through the driver side window, didn't even really touch the sides. Basically a best case scenario for being thrown clear. Except he landed on some rocks and permanently hosed his spine. Later on, he spoke with the lead guy that had been at the crash site and was told that when they inspected the wreck, they determined that if he'd been wearing his seat belt he almost certainly would have able to walk away from the accident.

The second was him talking about how he knows warning a bunch of high school kids they might die doesn't mean poo poo to them. Kids always think they are invincible. So instead, he wanted to make it very clear to everyone that you might not die, you might end up maimed in some way, or you might kill someone else. In particular, he wanted all the guys in the audience to be aware that his dick hadn't worked since the accident, and that it probably never would.

I always thought that last bit was a pretty effective one to drop on a bunch of dumb horny teens.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
RSVP that dudes dick and balls

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Failed Imagineer posted:

RSVP that dudes dick and balls

lol

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

dear children, I can't gently caress any more. my life is tragic. please wear your seatbelt or you won't be able to gently caress either

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Lemony posted:

Why yes, I would definitely like to be thrown clear of the car in an accident, rather then be stuck inside my carefully engineered safety cage that has been designed with the expressed purpose of preventing fast moving objects from crushing me to death. This is a very smart decision and I am a very clever person.

Most effective school speaker I ever got exposed to was a dude who had been driving drunk and totalled his car in a single vehicle accident, resulting in losing the use of his legs. His two big points that I can remember were these:

He showed a picture of the wreck, then asked everyone if they would prefer to be thrown clear or be stuck in the car. Then he said he got thrown clean through the driver side window, didn't even really touch the sides. Basically a best case scenario for being thrown clear. Except he landed on some rocks and permanently hosed his spine. Later on, he spoke with the lead guy that had been at the crash site and was told that when they inspected the wreck, they determined that if he'd been wearing his seat belt he almost certainly would have able to walk away from the accident.

The second was him talking about how he knows warning a bunch of high school kids they might die doesn't mean poo poo to them. Kids always think they are invincible. So instead, he wanted to make it very clear to everyone that you might not die, you might end up maimed in some way, or you might kill someone else. In particular, he wanted all the guys in the audience to be aware that his dick hadn't worked since the accident, and that it probably never would.

I always thought that last bit was a pretty effective one to drop on a bunch of dumb horny teens.

Man I know that would have worked way better than what we got as a speaker in highschool: a Pretty Upper Middle Class White Girl who got underage-drunk at a club and drove home on the interstate and wound up crashing and killing a mother and child, and who got out of going to prison because she agreed to tell her sad story to school kids as community service.

So what I learned from that presentation was that if you're pretty and white and your parents can afford a good lawyer you can get away with basically whatever.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Shame Boy posted:

So what I learned from that presentation was that if you're pretty and white and your parents can afford a good lawyer you can get away with basically whatever.

An important lesson, tbf.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

if either gives you diarrhea I would recommend seeing a doctor, that is unusual.

Tbf the last time I had any was like 25 years ago so maybe it's all good now but I'm really not going to bother checking.

cmerepaul
Nov 28, 2005
That's not chapstick!
Two reasons to always wear a seatbelt:

1. Partially.
2. Ejected.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Actually, wearing a seatbelt means you're breathing in the same air you've just breathed out

hj henhemjamib
Sep 16, 2007
simply follow these steps and you be Whammin

Sex Hobbit posted:

We had someone die on the highway here a couple years back; it was at like 25mph but the unseatbelted driver was thrown through the windshield and crushed between the car and the barrier. The passenger was wearing a seatbelt and walked away.

that seems a little callous of them

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I rolled my dodge omni and went airborne in the process sliding into a ditch in the middle of winter and I’d be dead if I hadn’t worn my belt so really who can say which outcome is better given 2020 :stoked:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

PokeJoe posted:

just lol if you don't have a combo bottle opener seat belt alarm defeater in your car

this is why I praise the seatbelt! great place to hold my opener, which I kept losing down between the seats in the 'good' old days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

also lol if you don't run glass road sodas, totally boring to throw empties out the window if they don't shatter